Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one every have an operation?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

whupdedo wrote: »
    Surgery to fix a flapping bottom eyelid that had been torn off in a work place accident

And an operation to stop my shoulder dislocating

Surgery to reattach 2 fingers that had been sheared off by a digger at work
    You may need to get an office job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

yep.. vocal chord nodule removed twice 12 years ago. A quick operation but requires general anesthetic. I discovered that is I left cricket on the tv, two or three doctors called into the room every 15 minutes.

It might be an idea to have a laptop by the bed and see if you can find cricket online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Male nurse was inserting suppository when it suddenly got a bit sore. I says ,"jaysus, you should have taken off your ring before you did that".
    "That's not me ring, that's me watch"! he says back...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Have a nice day

Hospi-tell? :P

Where you can tell everyone about the good hospitals and their food :pac:

Most Irish hospitals do not serve healthy food. Trust me.
    Except red jelly of course.
    You are what you eat and red jelly wont give you much strength :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Most Irish hospitals do not serve healthy food. Trust me.
    Except red jelly of course.
    You are what you eat and red jelly wont give you much strength :)
    You've clearly never had the food in private hospitals. That's the good shít right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Had to have a bollock removed last summer, the recovery and general lack of motion was the worst part. Have to say you get a great buzz from the aftereffects of the anaesthesia when you just wake up.

You'll be grand OP, just make sure to have a good book or a device with plenty of media and/or an internet connection for the boring days of recovery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sure I've had my laptop since yesterday evening and have been working away catching up on some work. Manager and team were going have cracked stating how I should be resting. It's only an office job I have :P

I've went back to harder jobs after worse happening to me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Had kidney & spleen removed December two years ago,the morphine drip was great crack,wacked out of it for a day or so.
    Getting the staples removed the next week wasn't so good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

had a Cholesteatoma (part of my inner ear) op when I was 7.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had emergency surgery to remove an abdominal parasite that weighed over 3kgs (7 pounds 4 ounces) removed a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

appendix, keyhole surgery

broken pelvis, huge scars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

my appendix flared up on my confirmation day when I started getting pains and going pale in the middle of my confo dinner at a restaurant. had to go home as the thought of food was making me sick, was wincing all the way home in the back seat. dad said it was a wonder I managed to hold it all in on the car journey cause I was straight up heaving when I got through the door. was feeling weak for a couple days until doctors appointment for an appendicitis diagnosis and then temple street, where I stayed 6 days with an appendix removal on the 3rd. felt like a lifetime, as though you'll never get out. hate hospitals. still have the scar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Candie wrote: »
    Jumpin jesus!

I'm seriously rethinking the need to take them out at this point. Sure so what if they cause impacted infections that could eventually turn life threatening? Still sounds better than having my jaw bone scraped!

I had all mine out under general anesthetic and didn't have any issues, I didn't even need to take the strong pain killers they gave me, must have just been unlucky :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Had a septorhinoplasty about three years ago. Getting the cotton padding out the next morning was horribly painful. My face was black and blue for about 2 weeks afterwards and was two years before I could touch the bridge of my nose without it hurting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yep, have had lots of surgeries. The worst was in 2009 when I had to have everything in my left armpit removed, then skin grafts on the wound. 3 weeks in hospital was a nightmare, most of it was on constant bed rest. I couldn't get my head around using a bedpan, psychologically you're brain just doesn't want to let you pee or poop in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Off the top of my head:

Got a non cancerous tumour out of my leg
    Got my elbow fixed after it did a 180
    Got my toe put back together

So some pretty awkward surgeries.

And then ive some more surgery scheduled over the next year thanks to medical stuff 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Neyite wrote: »
    I had emergency surgery to remove an abdominal parasite that weighed over 3kgs (7 pounds 4 ounces) removed a couple of years ago.

Yeah, those parasites are a fecker for popping up. I hear it takes 40 weeks for one to get to that size. Apparently it's illegal to kill them once they've been removed too. My girlfriend is having one removed in three weeks.

I've also heard rumours that they sometimes grow into Boardsies.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yeah, those parasites are a fecker for popping up. I hear it takes 40 weeks for one to get to that size. Apparently it's illegal to kill them once they've been removed too. My girlfriend is having one removed in three weeks.

I've also heard rumours that they sometimes grow into Boardsies.

Best of luck in three weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tore my hand apart and had to get microsurgery done (It's 90% ok now, plus it wasn't my fap hand os it's not all bad). Looks like a lightning strike going from my middle finger down to the middle of my hand.

Had to share a room with 3 aul fellas. I think I was put in the Scutter Ward because in the middle of the night those poor bastards were up and down constantly to the toilet in the room and clogging that bowl up with their brown slime, the smell was absolutely horrific that I had to just go wandering around for a few hours.

Eurgh, I can still smell it. Like burnt cabbage, rubber and vinegar :(

I also had to get the tip of a pencil out of my leg after I stabbed myself with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I had a turn in me eye corrected when I was 8 - for some reason it couldn't be done in a children's hospital so I was in the eye ward in St Vincent's with loads of oul ones. The worst part was that the anaesthetic made me vomit loads and that I had a bloodshot eye for months afterwards.

When I'm pregnant I suffer very badly with sickness (hyperemesis) - I recently had a few stays in Holles St on drips etc because I vomited myself into severe dehydration. I only just remembered from writing this post how much puking I did from the anaesthetic - I guess I'm just a puker!

Get well soon OP - from my recent hospital stays the worst part was how they'd wake you up at ungodly hours to poke and prod you. I'm guessing they're not constantly making you wee in cups though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

3 c sections. Knocked out for first, awake for next two. Had 2 wisdom teeth removed in my full senses. The dentist began to panic with one of them, he was kneeling up over me, pulling the hell out of the tooth. He ended up busting the tooth into pieces, and removing it bit by bit. I ended up with a dry socket, in severe pain for about 10 days. I'd prefer a c section to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Duggy747 wrote: »

Eurgh, I can still smell it. Like burnt cabbage, rubber and vinegar :(

I also had to get the tip of a pencil out of my leg after I stabbed myself with it :pac:

Was that to take your mind off the aul fellas and their slime?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't get cut bits off unless they need cutting off.

Yeah, his American Jewish Mommy and Muslim Daddy decided to get him the operation at 20 for religious reasons. :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Neyite wrote: »

Oh Brother!!

......or was it Sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

About 8 years ago I had to get fluid drained from my ball sac, when I was a kid I got kicked badly in the "lower stomach area" which caused scaring, it eventually got worse and I ended up with what looked like a testicle the size of a grapefruit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im having my wisdom teeth removed under GA next Thursday. Pretty dreading it tbh.
    I know its not really comparable but I had a fairly big operation 5 years ago on my eyes and I had a horrendous recovery so I'm nervous about that happening again. Between the anaesthetic and painkillers, I got severely constipated which left me with the most unbearable nausea every time I put even the smallest piece of food in my mouth. It took about 2 weeks for that to be sorted out and at the time I never wanted to endure another GA but I don't have a lot of choice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

The clicky thing ? Clic when you feel you need it they said...
    :)

Clic. (Sigh)

Clic.

Clic.

Clic. Clic. (Aww... Ants ! Up there !)

Clic, clic, clic.

A friend of mine rang while I was in that state, i remember nothing of the call except I whispered all along for some reason (I was alone in room).

I had that clicky thing too. Desperate Housewives was never so entertaining! They took it away from me the next morning for some reason though.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

akura wrote: »
    Snap! I fell off the shed roof when i was 12 and busted my right elbow. Lucky for me i didn't need surgery, just alot of physio. I also cannot fully straighten my arm:(

I'm no doctor, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Im having my wisdom teeth removed under GA next Thursday. Pretty dreading it tbh.
    I know its not really comparable but I had a fairly big operation 5 years ago on my eyes and I had a horrendous recovery so I'm nervous about that happening again. Between the anaesthetic and painkillers, I got severely constipated which left me with the most unbearable nausea every time I put even the smallest piece of food in my mouth. It took about 2 weeks for that to be sorted out and at the time I never wanted to endure another GA but I don't have a lot of choice in it.

My husband (bless him) had his wisdom teeth out under sedation about 2 months ago. He got severely constipated from the painkillers as he got that dry socket thing and his poor bum still hasn't recovered so definitely keep an eye out for that if you've had similar problems before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Woshy wrote: »
    My husband (bless him) had his wisdom teeth out under sedation about 2 months ago. He got severely constipated from the painkillers as he got that dry socket thing and his poor bum still hasn't recovered so definitely keep an eye out for that if you've had similar problems before!

A dry socket is another problem entirely and can be quite an emergency.
    What did he take to open his bowels? Im not the most regular at the best of times and I know all about the sore bum you can get, meant a quite embarassing visit to my GP even though I'd trust him with anything.

Advertisement