Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one every have an operation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

obplayer wrote: »
    Been an in-patient in Beaumont four times, food was fine.

Naas hospital is nice too! Was in for a week after a car crash when I broke my sternum, the lady serving the food kept saving me the red jelly :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If I dont do some work, I'll crack up in here. Like the poached eggs and toast I had today for tea. Painkillers are great, but some knobend had me down as not being aloud any. The surgeon copped it this evening and I in agony. Poor fecker went bananas altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone every have a procedure done before? I'm stuck in hospital after having my appendix removed yesterday and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck. So I'm posting here to take the píss out of it and hopefully take my mind off it as I do some work as well.

Had screws put in both hips. Painkillers worked well, was out in two weeks. Gorgeous young nurse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Naas hospital is nice too! Was in for a week after a car crash when I broke my sternum, the lady serving the food kept saving me the red jelly :D

Do you think we could set up something like Tripadviser?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Anyone every have a procedure done before? I'm stuck in hospital after having my appendix removed yesterday and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck. So I'm posting here to take the píss out of it and hopefully take my mind off it as I do some work as well.

Just Wishing you A Speedy Recovery & Hope All Goes Well for You :)

• Advertisement

Painkillers are great, but some knobend had me down as not being aloud any. The surgeon copped it this evening and I in agony. Poor fecker went bananas altogether.

I remember being given morphine the day after my second operation. Oh sweet zombie Jesus, it was magnificent! Then they took me off it again after only one or two days, the bastards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It's only if you dont mind it, I was unlucky due to how the stitches were put in.
    I would say get them out if they need to two of mine were impacted causing infection, other was coming out the side of my gum and the other was stuck under my molars. Agony for weeks before I got them out, instant relief from the headaches and tension pain once the stitches dissolve.

Yeah Candie I had 3 taken out with no problems (not all at same time though), the relief from having them out, you just feel so light afterwards rather than the constant tension, pain and pressure... It's well worthwhile.

Do you think we could set up something like Tripadviser?

Hospi-tell? :P

Where you can tell everyone about the good hospitals and their food :pac:

I remember being given morphine the day after my second operation. Oh sweet zombie Jesus, it was magnificent! Then they took me off it again after only one or two days, the bastards. :(

Morphine is amazing ... I had it on tap with my sternum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yup, I have many operations when I was a kid. The most useful were the ones to stop my heart murmuring to itself and getting my willy twisted round the right way. That surgeon was a genius at plastic surgery, I hope he gets lots of pussy in heaven.

• Advertisement

If I dont do some work, I'll crack up in here. Like the poached eggs and toast I had today for tea. Painkillers are great, but some knobend had me down as not being aloud any. The surgeon copped it this evening and I in agony. Poor fecker went bananas altogether.
    It's shocking the way you have to be so pushy and attentive to get anything like that in hospital. Had similar situations while in there, if I had to go back now I would be in full combat and defense mode, it's hard when you're wrecked or in pain though.

I had a morphine pump first C-section recovery, it was a mad experience, still don't know if I loved it or hated it. Was afraid to handle the baby I was so high.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Had screws put in both hips. Painkillers worked well, was out in two weeks. Gorgeous young nurse!

I had a fine young German trainee nurse help out in theatre. I came back with my boxers in a bag. Still wondering if I got lucky or not. The missus wouldn't be happy if I did. Here's to hoping I didn't get stiff during surgery :P

I had a tooth exposure done. One of my front teeth had grown down on such an angle it had embedded itself in the roof of my mouth. They had to removed half of said roof to expose the tooth. They had to pack the wound with cotton wool and I kept throwing up after. Was a whole lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Candie wrote: »
    Have to have my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic. I'm really not looking forward to it.

I had that done about 12 years ago and lived to tell the tale. You'll be glad when it's done and they give you some great painkillers to go home with afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I had some work done in the ladies department some years back, apart from the discomfort, being waited on was very nice! I didn't want to leave Aut Even Kilkenny. :D

Morphine is amazing ... I had it on tap with my sternum :D

The clicky thing ? Clic when you feel you need it they said...
    :)

Clic. (Sigh)

Clic.

Clic.

Clic. Clic. (Aww... Ants ! Up there !)

Clic, clic, clic.

A friend of mine rang while I was in that state, i remember nothing of the call except I whispered all along for some reason (I was alone in room).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had two operations on my left arm when I was about eleven or twelve. I fell off a horse and dislocated and fractured my elbow so it needed to be pinned back together. I still can't fully straighten that arm. I also had my tonsils taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My best friend had a brain haemorrhage so she was on morphine after emergency surgery. She developed an addiction to it and they had to wean her off it! :pac: She said it was great stuff altogether.

I had teeth removed when I was 6 and I remember waking up in the hospital and the first thing I did was put my hand in my gob. :rolleyes:

I had that done about 12 years ago and lived to tell the tale. You'll be glad when it's done and they give you some great painkillers to go home with afterwards :D

I'm genuinely frightened after reading some of the posts here.

I'm just going to concentrate on yours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Candie wrote: »
    I'm genuinely frightened after reading some of the posts here.

I'm just going to concentrate on yours. :)

Well I did slightly freak out when I woke up and my mouth was coated in blood :eek:

But look, it worked out fine for me, I didn't get dry socket and the stitches dissolved after a while. I think I mainly ate soup for about 3 days after but I was pretty high from the painkillers during that time :D.

I get anxious over stuff like doctors and hospitals and the like so I know where you're coming from, it'll be grand!

• Advertisement

The clicky thing ? Clic when you feel you need it they said...
    :)

Clic. (Sigh)

Clic.

Clic.

Clic. Clic. (Aww... Ants ! Up there !)

Clic, clic, clic.

A friend of mine rang while I was in that state, i remember nothing of the call except I whispered all along for some reason (I was alone in room).

Yes haha they're brilliant!
    I had some very questionable conversations too which I have no memory of, apparently I rang my mother at 4am (say she had a heart attack seeing a phone call at that time) and asked her to get my chain ... I was apparently very insisting that I needed this chain, don't know what chain I was talking about, didn't have any nice necklaces at the time. Luckily the nurse took me back to bed and apologised to my poor mother.

I also went mad paranoid because I was convinced my horse wasn't being fed, I went proper mad, no recollection of this, day I got discharged I went straight to the yard to see her I was that paranoid. At an equestrian yard in my dressing gown and slippers, high off my head on morphien with bed hair. I was convinced she was starving. Fat mess looked up at me covered in hay, I apologised afterwards about screaming down the phone luckily the owners of the yard minding her understood :rolleyes:

Posted weird stuff on facebook too, many people got a laught at my cryptic and random poems haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Had the shoulder stitched up to stop it dislocating. Popped about 20 times in three years. 5 years since surgery it hasn't popped(touch wood) and I have more or less full movement back. Happy out!

Also watching terminator 2 on morphine was awesome :).

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

You should not be in pain at all. Ask to speak to the pain doctor, they will assess your level and medicate as necessary. might as well get the good stuff while you can.

3 sections none planned, first was the worst, could not turn without nearly crying.

Wisdom teeth, grand, easiest surgery of the lot

Sinus drain x 2,

Disc removed, lots of lovely drugs afterwards but long stay in hospital due to complications.

Another back one next month.

Jasus I am a crock.

When I had my first operation, it was back in the days when you had to put 50p in the telly for it to work. The meals were put on a share table in the room. I was in as my back just gave up and could not walk, I did not eat for 2 days as could not walk over to the table and was too shy to ask the dinner lady. The senior sister would do the rounds at night and make the sign of the cross at you. I was put into a ward with old people and I was only 18, some of them die god love them and some were senile. It was a learning curve.

Hope you are feeling better soon and ask for more pain relief

Ah yes, I've also had a wisdom tooth removed, but only had a local anesthetic for that. Hearing the crack of the tooth before having it yanked completely was disturbing to say the least. Never had any other issues beside the aforementioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had my tonsils out when I was four. I still remember them putting a mask over my mouth and telling me to count to 10. I got to two. Then I had the old "floating over the operating table" experience, which obviously was a dream or something. Then I vaguely remember waking up in pitch darkness in the middle of the night and crying for my parents. A nurse came in and gave me some medicine, tasted like oranges. Next thing it was morning and my dad was carrying me to the car on his shoulders like a champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I had my tonsils out when I was four. I still remember them putting a mask over my mouth and telling me to count to 10. I got to two. Then I had the old "floating over the operating table" experience, which obviously was a dream or something. Then I vaguely remember waking up in pitch darkness in the middle of the night and crying for my parents. A nurse came in and gave me some medicine, tasted like oranges. Next thing it was morning and my dad was carrying me to the car on his shoulders like a champion.

I remember before the count to ten thing a lady said casually 'we're just going to give you a little injection in the neck to ease the pain afterwards'. Not a hope was that happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

I've had probably close to a dozen operations at this stage, with at least two more some time scheduled in the next 10 years or so, and I'm still alive and well. Tbh, and it is understandable, we tend to build them up in our heads beforehand to more than they are. The people operating operate on countless people every year without any problems, so I've never had any reason not to trust them. And the painkillers afterwards are usually top quality. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife had the gall bladder removed a few years ago, all you can see are 4 scars where they did keyhole surgery. She was out in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I got one of my kidneys removed just over a month ago. My first ever surgery. It was pretty weird waking up after it but glad it was over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Laparoscopy due to an ectopic pregnancy, d and c for a miscarriage, emergency section due to pre-eclampsia and toxemia and surgery after giving birth to my youngest son because the placenta wouldn't come out naturally. Varying levels of pain after each procedure but painkillers are great.

Advertisement