Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one every have an operation?

Options
  • 05-12-2014 12:27am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone every have a procedure done before? I'm stuck in hospital after having my appendix removed yesterday and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck. So I'm posting here to take the píss out of it and hopefully take my mind off it as I do some work as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone every have a procedure done before? I'm stuck in hospital after having my appendix removed yesterday and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck. So I'm posting here to take the píss out of it and hopefully take my mind off it as I do some work as well.
    Will the hospital not take the piss out of it before they operate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Have a nice day

Will the hospital not take the piss out of it before they operate?

I am glad you are not a doctor.

Chin up OP, you'll be grand. Don't be working though! R&R only.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Snap. I had my appendix out too and don't believe what they tell you, if hurts like hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The surgeon that took my appendix out wasn't even qualified, but it was going to burst, so he had to do it, you probably have a better surgeon than me so you're off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Had my adenoids out when I was 6 if that helps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Have a nice day

Don't eat the hospital food. Get people to bring in healthy meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Make sure they know it's the gall bladder - you might end up losing a testicle!

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had my gallbladder out. It was keyhole surgery and was all over in an hour.
    Worst part was having the staples removed a week later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Had my tonsils out, as was the fashion at the time *grandpa Simpson voice*, but they grew back the pendulous throaty bastards.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Yeah, had my appendix out in 1978.

I was slightly too old to be in the Children's ward...........so I wound up in a long ward in big high iron bed with all the rest watching 'The Incredible Hulk' on telly.

Good times, card games & everybody had their own ashtray.

Bliss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

fussyonion wrote: »
    Had my gallbladder out. It was keyhole surgery and was all over in an hour.
    Worst part was having the staples removed a week later.

Why did they use a stapler in the first place? Does the HSE operate on the McGuyer Principle?

Have to have my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic. I'm really not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Had 2 c-sections, first one emergency very tough recovery, second one planned procedure a breeze to recover from in comparison. Hope everything goes well for you, and good luck staying in hospital, I hate it with a vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fcuk it, I'll spill.

Was in for an operation about 12 years ago, shared a room with 2 women and an older man while we were being prepared for surgery.

Anyway, got my suppository, awkward bloody yokes, constantly feel like it's coming out.

Had to have a p!ss after a while, went to loo, did the do and turned around to leave. Noticed suppository on the ground. Ah fcuk. Picked it up, went to put it back in, like actually pushed it. Realised mine was still there.

With bizarre logic, preferred to think it was one of the ladies'.

Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Why did they use a stapler in the first place? Does the HSE operate on the McGuyer Principle?

I don't know. I think they said it was easier than stitching it and easier to remove.
    Might have been but it still hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Do wisdom teeth count! Got all of mine out December 19th last year, under general anaesthetic, worst part was not being able to eat Christmas dinner that year :(

Do wisdom teeth count! Got all of mine. Out December 19th last year, under general anaesthetic, worst part was not being able to eat Christmas dinner that year :(

Oh no, that must have been torture :(

How long before you could eat properly again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Had my appendix removed two years ago with emergency surgery whilst working in the UK, was back to almost normal within about two weeks. Had my gallbladder removed three weeks ago, first week was the worst, second was better and week three I drove to London where I am now, helping my girlfriend pack and move back to Ireland.

Don't worry about it OP, you'll be better off in the long term with both removed at the same-ish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Do wisdom teeth count! Got all of mine out December 19th last year, under general anaesthetic, worst part was not being able to eat Christmas dinner that year :(

A mate told me when he got his wisdom teeth out that the wounds kept filling with what he described as an almost 'dog food' type substance.

Candie wrote: »
    Oh no, that must have been torture :(

How long before you could eat properly again?

I had complications, got a really bad infection which lead to a dry socket ... Trust me, you never want to experience that if you haven't already.
    I was able to eat semi solids after 8 days was three weeks before I could eat a solid meal. The stitches were put in too tight which caused irritation which led to the gauze commons out which led to the infection.

Surgeon scraping the infection off my jaw bone and then giving a thorough clean was the most torturous thing I've ever felt. Bloody dry sockets :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Itzy wrote: »

Just hold on a minute there , you just said you are doing "some work as well" , did you just remove your own appendix ?

Birneybau wrote: »
    A mate told me when he got his wisdom teeth out that the wounds kept filling with what he described as an almost 'dog food' type substance.

Great.

Dread level: 200000000000. :(

Yea before the 'holes' in your gums (only way to describe it ha) close food tends to get stuck in there alright ha. Feels and tastes rank if you don't keep it clean. I used mouth wash every time I ate for around a month because it was quite unpleasant!

I had complications, got a really bad infection which lead to a dry socket ... Trust me, you never want to experience that if you haven't already.
    I was able to eat semi solids after 8 days was three weeks before I could eat a solid meal. The stitches were put in too tight which caused irritation which led to the gauze commons out which led to the infection.

Surgeon scraping the infection off my jaw bone and then giving a thorough clean was the most torturous thing I've ever felt. Bloody dry sockets :rolleyes:

Jumpin jesus!

I'm seriously rethinking the need to take them out at this point. Sure so what if they cause impacted infections that could eventually turn life threatening? Still sounds better than having my jaw bone scraped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I had a tumour the size of a melon taken out earlier this year - straight through my stomach. You'll be fine, painkillers are your friend. And seriously - do not work. R&R and short walks up and down the corridor as soon as you can manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Don't eat the hospital food. Get people to bring in healthy meals.

Been an in-patient in Beaumont four times, food was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wibbs wrote: »
    Had my tonsils out, as was the fashion at the time *grandpa Simpson voice*, but they grew back the pendulous throaty bastards.
    They won't grow back to full size. I had my tonsils out when I was 8 back then there were no mothers allowed to stay in hospitals to mollycoddle their children unlike now. The children's ward was full so I had the pleasure of being stuck in a ward full of old men. I know a 16 year old that had to be hospitalized recently for a month and she's still there and every minute of every day there is some one of her family with her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Fcuk it, I'll spill.

Was in for an operation about 12 years ago, shared a room with 2 women and an older man while we were being prepared for surgery.

Anyway, got my suppository, awkward bloody yokes, constantly feel like it's coming out.

Had to have a p!ss after a while, went to loo, did the do and turned around to leave. Noticed suppository on the ground. Ah fcuk. Picked it up, went to put it back in, like actually pushed it. Realised mine was still there.

With bizarre logic, preferred to think it was one of the ladies'.

Imagine.

That's brilliant!!
    Made my day that did!

Candie wrote: »
    Jumpin jesus!

I'm seriously rethinking the need to take them out at this point. Sure so what if they cause impacted infections that could eventually turn life threatening? Still sounds better than having my jaw bone scraped!

It's only if you dont mind it, I was unlucky due to how the stitches were put in.
    I would say get them out if they need to two of mine were impacted causing infection, other was coming out the side of my gum and the other was stuck under my molars. Agony for weeks before I got them out, instant relief from the headaches and tension pain once the stitches dissolve.

• Advertisement

I've been under the knife twice. First time was when I was about 8 years old, there was a lump in my neck and they couldn't tell what it was so decided it should be removed. For years after I thought I had some rare tumour or something, turns out it was just a boring old gland. :( Worst memory I have of that experience was when (I can't remember if this was before or after the operation) I had to get this injection (which, to 8 year old me, looked like a screwdriver) in the palms of both hands. That was fúcking painful.

Second time was when I was 16 and was in an altogether more sensitive area. Let's just say something twisted that shouldn't have twisted.... *shudders* I went into surgery not knowing if I'd still have both balls when I woke up again - thankfully, it was only a small bit of it that had a torsion and it was fixable, so they remained intact. And I got a couple of weeks of school while I recuperated. :)

Advertisement