Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one every have an operation?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Novella wrote: »
    I had two operations on my left arm when I was about eleven or twelve. I fell off a horse and dislocated and fractured my elbow so it needed to be pinned back together. I still can't fully straighten that arm. I also had my tonsils taken out.

Snap! I fell off the shed roof when i was 12 and busted my right elbow. Lucky for me i didn't need surgery, just alot of physio. I also cannot fully straighten my arm:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I had my adenoids out. I had operation to stop my knee dislocating. I had an operation for hiatus hernia which didn't work. I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone every have a procedure done before? I'm stuck in hospital after having my appendix removed yesterday and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck. So I'm posting here to take the píss out of it and hopefully take my mind off it as I do some work as well.

When you say you'll possibly have your gallbladder removed - does that mean you went in with pain, they took the appendix and now are randomly contemplating other unneccessary (to a degree) organs in order to find the source? Or are you just unlucky?

For me, never had a general anesthetic - had a lung biopsy once but that was done with a local - went a little wrong and had to be kept in after a possible pneumothorax but it wasn't too bad, just sore.

Don't like the idea of an op OP ;)
    wish you a fast recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wouldn't make a very good opiate addict. Just made me sleepy and a bit dopey. Certainly didn't leave the hospital singing the praises of Morphine anyway. I've felt more spaced out, can't shut me up and munchies on the anti-histamines in Panadol Night FFS!!

Had a Wisdom tooth out under local. Was sore enough and I did at one point wonder if I had dry socket but ruled that out as I had heard it was excruciating and while what I was feeling was sore, it wasn't 'Kill Me!!' like so many here described. Took my 3 days of Difene as prescribed and then started taking Nurofen Plus and Solpedeine offset by 2 hours. That way, I'd be taking the paracetemol and Ibuprofen the recommended 4 hours apart and yet get 30mg of codeine into me every 2 hours. When I went back to dentist it turned out I did indeed have bad dry socket. So it seems its not necessarily "Kill Me" excruciating for everyone. Anyway, all in I was taking codeine for 10 days. The guidelines have pharmacies warning you not to go more than 3. Knew to expect withdrawl but all that was was a withdrawl headache the day after I stopped the Solpedine and Nurofen+. Just took regular nurofen for it and that was it. No more withdrawl headache or craving or anything like that despite double dosing with Codeine for 10 days.

Like I said, I don't think I'd make a good opiate addict :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Had a detached retina in my left eye when I was around 9 yr old. Seemingly my eye was out of my head for a couple of hours while they worked on it, I think the surgery was almost 10 hours.
    Thankfully I was lied to and told it was simple 5 minute op and so I wasn't worried about it.
    Worst pain was coming out of the antistatic, not sure why but I can remember screaming the ward down in agony that night until the nurse could take no more and just knocked me out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I know someone who had their gallbladder out this year OP and was released home the same night, and yes it was in Ireland . She had painkillers and her overall impression was the whole business was easier than she expected.
    I'd hate to be sent home on night one just in case, but I guess you only really start feeling better once you've slept a night in your own bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Senna wrote: »
    Worst pain was coming out of the antistatic, not sure why but I can remember screaming the ward down in agony that night until the nurse could take no more and just knocked me out again.

what happened, did you touch a CRT tv screen by mistake? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Had to have varicose veins destroyed and removed from my leg a year or two ago. I was only 22 at the time so pretty unusual operation to get done at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Had near-brain surgery twice, having holes drilled in my skull to put a shunt into my ventricles (long story!) - the highlight was probably after the second round of surgery in 2007, with my head encased in bandages and on four different kinds of opiates, when I asked my neurosurgeon "How long d'you reckon I'll be in hospital for? My year is going paintballing on Friday, do you think there's any chance....." :D:D:D

Also had my appendix out, the pain heals up pretty quickly. In my case it wasn't really helped by some of my eejit friends dropping in a Father Ted box set - you do NOT want to laugh hysterically while your abs have a massive hole in them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Itzy wrote: »
    and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck.

Knew a guy who had that gallbladder operation. Lovely lad, sadly missed.
    Anyway, good luck Itzy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I had two surgeries on my parotid gland (salivary gland) when I was 16, removing the gland on the second one after a tumour was found. Ended up with temporary facial paralysis for a good few months afterwards. Still suffering from small issues relating to it.

There's talk of me going in for brain surgery now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Duiske wrote: »
    Knew a guy who had that gallbladder operation. Lovely lad, sadly missed.
    Anyway, good luck Itzy. :)

:pac: that's so mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Candie wrote: »
    I'm genuinely frightened after reading some of the posts here.

I'm just going to concentrate on yours. :)

It's really not bad. I had all four out at once and was even able to eat a little bit that night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

did they take out the wrong part

which hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i had a circumcision in my mid 20s. jesus i still remember the pain when i woke up.. morphine didn't do sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

i had a circumcision in my mid 20s. jesus i still remember the pain when i woke up.. morphine didn't do sh1t.

Don't get cut bits off unless they need cutting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I had a disc removed from my back last year and a blocked tear duct unblocked when I was 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Novella wrote: »
    I had two operations on my left arm when I was about eleven or twelve. I fell off a horse and dislocated and fractured my elbow so it needed to be pinned back together. I still can't fully straighten that arm. I also had my tonsils taken out.

hey I had the same op on elbow after a bad fall last year- 2 pins in elbow, plus other non dislocated fractures. Did a lot of physio/swimming and its nearly back to normal now.

related:A guy opposite me in the ward was in for a double knee replacement. one of which got infected. The nurse has to come twice a day to drain pus/fluid from it.
    anyone thinks nursing is a handy number is talking shiite

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fluorosilisic Frank

Had my appendix out when I was 12 even though there was not a thing wrong with me. The parents had shipped me off to Irish college and after 2 or 3 days I was so depressed and lonely I just had to get out of there. I was just a little too young for it I think.

Anyway, I'd been reading Boy by Roald Dahl and there's a bit in it where he fakes appendicitis to get home from boarding school, so i decided to chance my arm with the same stunt and ended up succeeding where Roald failed.

Looking back I feel a bit bad for wasting hospital resources, but also kinda proud (and worried) that I was able to outsmart a team of medical professionals.

In saying that, I don't regret it in the slightest, place was fcuking depressing, so I did what had to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hernia when I was only a matter of weeks old.

Wisdom teeth under local anesthetic in a university hospital with a whole load of students looking on. That was bad.

I'm surprised that others who had wisdom teeth extracted had all 4 done at the same time - mine were done one side at a time with a month in between for time to heal, and so I could still eat properly (with one side of my mouth).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Have had 5 operations so far. Worst was surgery to re-adjust my spinal chord. The pain was bad, but the effects of the morphine afterwards is something I never want to experience again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Appendectomy
    Teeth removed under anestetic
    Brain Surgery (x3)

Oh and hip operations when I was a baby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Surgery to fix a flapping bottom eyelid that had been torn off in a work place accident

And an operation to stop my shoulder dislocating

Surgery to reattach 2 fingers that had been sheared off by a digger at work

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

About 16 times under a general anaesthetic.

Only twice so far this year though. Fortunately the 4 titanium plates in various parts of my face don't set off any airport scanners.

whupdedo wrote: »
    Surgery to fix a flapping bottom eyelid that had been torn off in a work place accident

And an operation to stop my shoulder dislocating

Surgery to reattach 2 fingers that had been sheared off by a digger at work

Injurylawyers4u

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Had an autotransplant and they took out the staples too early and it started opening back up so it was a right mess. Now it looks like i was bitten by a shark. Didn't hurt too much because of the morphine but had horrible withdrawal from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Surgery to correct a turn in my left eye when I was 2.

Had screws put in my ankle after I broke it playing football at 12.

Two c sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Gonks ago had a mole removed from my face in the Richmond Hospital.There must be a joke there somewhere the old hospital is now a court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Had an ingrown hair (polynidal sinus they called it) removed from my back in 02, it had grown so long, it took about 6-7 months to heal properly as they could'nt stitch the wound, the boss wasnt to happy as i got it done before the world cup :) and was so long off work

Advertisement