Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School trouble, help needed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Soooo.....we're all anxiously waiting an update.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Right.
    Kicked out of school and as a result out of home yet, OP?

Drama queens in that school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

pinkbear wrote: »
    I'm a (female) teacher, and one day I got a little cross with a student who was talking for the 40th time in class. She said "What's your problem? Is it your time of months?"

I just said "Hand me your journal", and wrote "Made a disrespectful comment to a teacher", and put her on detention. End of story.

I genuinely wish there were more teachers like you. There are of course a good few teachers in my son's school who are easy going like you and realise that they're dealing with teens. Unfortunately there's always a good few who are on a bit of a power trip, and there are often consequences for teens over what I would consider to be the healthy assertion of young adulthood.

As a parent who doesn't want to hold my kids back in expressing their humour and their individuality, there's a difficult balance to find sometimes with adults who are in authority over my kids. Hard not to turn up to the school set to strangle them sometimes tbh, but as I say to my kids, it's all good training for the kind of w*nkers you will meet in the workplace later on.

Keep up the good teaching and may you never burn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I think you should go for a maximum awkwardness scenario:

- Tell him you're really glad this happened because privately lots of immature jokes are being made and you all need his leadership and help
    - Tell him your friends would appreciate that he lead an assembly or workshop on this issue and it should come from him as you need a role model to learn from who can discuss these things openly. It must be him because he is the leader of the school.
    - Then give this request in a letter to him, signed by several friends including girls so he gives a public talk about periods
    - Get the teachers on side especially any feminists

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Shrap wrote: »
    As a parent who doesn't want to hold my kids back in expressing their humour and their individuality, there's a difficult balance to find sometimes with adults who are in authority over my kids. Hard not to turn up to the school set to strangle them sometimes tbh, but as I say to my kids, it's all good training for the kind of w*nkers you will meet in the workplace later on.

Keep up the good teaching and may you never burn out!

There can also be a fine line between expressing a humorous side / individuality and being disrespectful...

However , I feel that OP is being treated in a way that seems to be the result of a power trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well lads, I'm in 5th Year and today whilst walking down the hallway there were drops of blood on the floor and a few people gathered around it until the Deputy Principal wiped it up with tissue. As I was walking by I said "Must be that time of the Month again" kinda loudly although I only really meant to say it to the lad beside me. The Deputy Principal heard me and sent me to the Principal's office. He shouted at me for a minute or so asking me "what was so funny about it?" and I replied saying "there was nothing funny about it" as I truly regretted it and admitted I was foolish to do it. He then asked me who I was saying it to and I told him that I was saying it to the lad beside me, I didn't really know who was beside me but I knew that they were in my year. He told me to think of a better excuse and sent me out of the Office and into the hallway for the remainder of the day. When the school bell rang he told me he'd continue with the conversation in the morning and that I better have "A good damn excuse".

So, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should use as an excuse tomorrow? The problem with my principal is that he'd ignorant and doesn't let you speak for yourself. I guarantee tomorrow that he will at some point interrupt me and say that I' talking crap. I realise that I'm wrong and that I shouldn't have done it and I really don't know what t say as an excuse tomorrow. All help is extremely appreciated.

P.S: I won't be suspended because if I was going to be suspended I would have been put in front of the Board of Discipline by now. If this post is in the wrong section feel free to move it, just wanted to get it typed up really.

Think of someone in your class you hate. Lets call him Fred.
    Tell the principal the real cause of the blood was that Fred fella was shooting coke and made a bollox of it with the syringe

There's your "damn good excuse"
    And you're also rid of Fred

Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Well, this morning I sat outside his office instead of role call as he requested. I waited for a half hour till I was called in and he asked me what was my the name of the lad I said it to. It turns out he wanted an excuse for not knowing who the lad was. I told him that I had prepared an apology and not an excuse. He said "I don't want any apology crap". I told him I didn't know who the lad was even though I had a fair idea. He told me to come back at big break with his name or else they would assume that what I said was directed towards the Female Deputy Principal and not the lad. I told the lad the situation and he was cool about it because he didn't laugh at my comment.

At break I sat outside his office and made eye contact with the principal multiple times as he walked in and out of his office every few minutes. Break ended and he never called me in.

I have a feeling that he might have given up or that he was busy I'm not sure which. I don't even know what he's blaming me for anymore to be honest and what the other guy has to do with it. Post suggestions below :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I think you dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

he's painted himself into a corner by making such a big deal of it and realises he's played it wrong

he should leave it now, if he doesn't, he's an even bigger idiot than he seems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I think you need to up the ante. First thing Monday morning stick a fanny pad to his door.

He has to know who he's messing with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It was a stupid comment but to be honest I would have thought that the school principal would have a lot better things to do in all of the time he spent dealing with this matter. He should have made you apologies to the teacher who wiped the blood up (you should still do this anyway) and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

stimpson wrote: »
    I think you need to up the ante. First thing Monday morning stick a fanny pad to his door.

He has to know who he's messing with.

wrap his car in cotton wool soaked in red paint if he wants to get a proper war going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

"I realised my joke was silly, as menstrual blood would tend to smear on the thighs rather than hitting the floor."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus, does this gobshíte teacher not have better things to be doing with his time? And he's still whinging about this non incident? FFS. Jumped up little gauleiter. The crap he pulled with you about your folded arms sums this petty eejit up.

Personally I'd just straight up and politely tell him you've already apologised for what was in real world terms sweet fcuk all, you won't be handing up anyone else's name as that's just childish and it's now fast becoming a farce and utter waste of time. As far as you and your folks are concerned that's the end of it and walk away.

Caveat to the above; I was suspended more than once for butting heads with a couple of petty **** of teachers so.... and they weren't even close as wankery as this guy comes across. Jesus, any number of my school peers would have really eaten someone like him alive for guff like that, especially by the time fifth year came around. I think it was when we collectively realised that they could actually do feck all of any import to our lives(certainly back in the day anyway) we lost respect for their paper tiger authority. Now this was only a couple of muppets. Most of the other teachers were sound and not **** and they never got static, because they weren't petty fools and if they called you on your guff they were in the right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I have a feeling that he might have given up or that he was busy I'm not sure which. I don't even know what he's blaming me for anymore to be honest and what the other guy has to do with it. Post suggestions below :)
    if he does call you in again, just say to him: "is all this because I'm a Muslim?" (while casually playing with a worry beads) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I can't go along with Wibbs' views.

School is not a democracy. Teachers rule, regardless of the w!nker quotient or not. To be otherwise is anarchy.

Keep your head down, OP, and don't think you've "won".

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

This is a stupid pointless thread. Yawn!!!! Yawn!!!!
    I am a teacher of ten years, teaching females and males in a school of 800 ... have seen many awkward menstrual accidents in classes, students & teachers mixed reactions to it .... no big deal! OP you are making much a do about nothing!
    It's Friday... relax or go and do some homework!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Got spotted once by my secondary school principal making riding motions behind a nun that taught in the school.

Same thing as you, he kept me hanging a bit for the wind-up before actually laughing. He'd often laugh at me if he saw me after that as well.

He probably hangs around on the atheist forum here now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cml387 wrote: »
    School is not a democracy. Teachers rule, regardless of the w!nker quotient or not. To be otherwise is anarchy.
    Sometimes "anarchy" is good. Damn near everything you see about you is due to someone, somewhere going "ehhhh, no, sod what is the done thing, let's make this different and possibly better". And it was usually younger folks making that play.

Teachers "rule" sweet fcuk all. They educate, if they're good(and bloody valuable if they are). They're guides and some of them are incredibly brilliant guides to make you into an actualised human being and treasure those men and women and respect them, but never and I mean never mistake the title for the reality.

"Keep your head down"? Fcuk that beige shíte. Stick your head up and keep on sticking it the fcuk up. That's damn near your job description as a young person and long may it be. Let the old worry about where you're taking things, that's their job. That and whinging about this "generation".

Between the two we find progress and justice. "Keep your head down"? Jesus, that right there is the manifesto of the complaint, the tertiary characters of history and that is where I find myself fighting hard to not Godwin this thread.

Sod it I will. Go back 80 whatever years. Late 1930's in Germany, Spain or Italy and imagine someone giving you the "advice" of "School is not a democracy. Teachers rule, regardless of the w!nker quotient or not. To be otherwise is anarchy". Eh no. GTFO of it and take you and your fellow beige conformists with you. Hell go back not so long ago in this nation where some educators were abusing our young and get back to me on the "keep your head down and conform, they're your betters" bullshít.

So the OP said something a bit untoward as a throwaway comment and this other fcukwit who should know better, way better, called him on it, more, this fcukwit continued to call him on it, even though he apologised? And then asked him to offer up someone else to be prostrated on his altar of mediocre "offence" and feelings of self import? G.T.F.O. With knobs on.

I say? Keep fighting, it's your birthright and that of your age group and that goes quadruple for standing up to twats like your "teacher". As for those who cry fowl? Check their age and ask them if they remember what it is to be young and more, were they ever truly young themselves or where they always in practice for compliant, cubicle dwelling, comfortable middle aged pickled in aspic thinking of their own making just to "fit in".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ITS A TRAPPPP

You're supposed to say there is no excuse for such unsavoury behaviour:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

This is a stupid pointless thread. Yawn!!!! Yawn!!!!
    I am a teacher of ten years, teaching females and males in a school of 800 ... have seen many awkward menstrual accidents in classes, students & teachers mixed reactions to it .... no big deal! OP you are making much a do about nothing!
    It's Friday... relax or go and do some homework!

It's the school that are making a big deal about it, the school is known for being sensitive over dumb sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Well, this morning I sat outside his office instead of role call as he requested. I waited for a half hour till I was called in and he asked me what was my the name of the lad I said it to. It turns out he wanted an excuse for not knowing who the lad was. I told him that I had prepared an apology and not an excuse. He said "I don't want any apology crap". I told him I didn't know who the lad was even though I had a fair idea. He told me to come back at big break with his name or else they would assume that what I said was directed towards the Female Deputy Principal and not the lad. I told the lad the situation and he was cool about it because he didn't laugh at my comment.

At break I sat outside his office and made eye contact with the principal multiple times as he walked in and out of his office every few minutes. Break ended and he never called me in.

Don't rat out anyone or name names. He's calling your bluff and I'd stand my ground and hold my tongue. Let them threaten you all they want; it's mind games.
    My old fella - for all his faults and failings - always told me to never take any sh*t from a teacher, if I didn't deserve it. If I was threatened or hit, I was to leave school and he'd sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sometimes "anarchy" is good. Damn near everything you see about you is due to someone, somewhere going "ehhhh, no, sod what is the done thing, let's make this different and possibly better". And it was usually younger folks making that play.

Teachers "rule" sweet fcuk all. They educate, if they're good(and bloody valuable if they are). They're guides and some of them are incredibly brilliant guides to make you into an actualised human being and treasure those men and women and respect them, but never and I mean never mistake the title for the reality.

"Keep your head down"? Fcuk that beige shíte. Stick your head up and keep on sticking it the fcuk up. That's damn near your job description as a young person and long may it be. Let the old worry about where you're taking things, that's their job. That and whinging about this "generation".

Between the two we find progress and justice. "Keep your head down"? Jesus, that right there is the manifesto of the complaint, the tertiary characters of history and that is where I find myself fighting hard to not Godwin this thread.

Sod it I will. Go back 80 whatever years. Late 1930's in Germany, Spain or Italy and imagine someone giving you the "advice" of "School is not a democracy. Teachers rule, regardless of the w!nker quotient or not. To be otherwise is anarchy". Eh no. GTFO of it and take you and your fellow beige conformists with you. Hell go back not so long ago in this nation where some educators were abusing our young and get back to me on the "keep your head down and conform, they're your betters" bullshít.

So the OP said something a bit untoward as a throwaway comment and this other fcukwit who should know better, way better, called him on it, more, this fcukwit continued to call him on it, even though he apologised? And then asked him to offer up someone else to be prostrated on his altar of mediocre "offence" and feelings of self import? G.T.F.O. With knobs on.

I say? Keep fighting, it's your birthright and that of your age group and that goes quadruple for standing up to twats like your "teacher". As for those who cry fowl? Check their age and ask them if they remember what it is to be young and more, were they ever truly young themselves or where they always in practice for compliant, cubicle dwelling, comfortable middle aged pickled in aspic thinking of their own making just to "fit in".

A wonderful example of the confusion of youthful egotism and immature brain development with rebellion against oppression and tyranny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ah! just to clarify OP!

Was it definitely menstrual blood?

Suicide attempt or self harm maybe? In which case principal's need to act fast if other people (on suicide watch) were present or possibly involved. Hence he might be a bit edgy.

Anyhow, that aside , if thats not the case then the principal would appearto be over egging the pudding.

And by the way I do admire students who stand up to perceived wrong doing, but if they want a debate then theyll sure get one if I feel they are missing the bigger picture and wasting the classes time.

Heh. Read it OP. If that person is female you are history. Coz they will have no doubt you made the comment about her. You are fooked. Google a few schools near you: mammy will be needing to a ghost recon shortly. :D

Has Mammy done the ghost recon yet? Commenting on a co workers menstrual cycle would bring a swift response in the workplaces I know. A formal response. Commenting on the boss's menstrual cycle would bring a stronger one. Never mind all the bollixology here OP praising you and making you the new Mandela. If they choose to they could **** you out the door. Never mind the procedures that are bound to be there around harassment, maybe even sexual harassment. You want advice? Make a genuine apology for the ignorant and sexist remark. Admit you really have been a fcuk wit. Ask for a chance. If this was the workplaces I've known you would be in deep shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Has Mammy done the ghost recon yet? Commenting on a co workers menstrual cycle would bring a swift response in the workplaces I know. A formal response. Commenting on the boss's menstrual cycle would bring a stronger one. Never mind all the bollixology here OP praising you and making you the new Mandela. If they choose to they could **** you out the door. Never mind the procedures that are bound to be there around harassment, maybe even sexual harassment. You want advice? Make a genuine apology for the ignorant and sexist remark. Admit you really have been a fcuk wit. Ask for a chance. If this was the workplaces I've known you would be in deep shyte.

The op was very straight up in saying it was an off the cuff remark that he knows was inconsiderate and downright stupid. He told the principal that. He's recognised what he's done and seems to have learned a lesson. His whole approach is really healthy. If someone came to me with that attitude I'd be delighted, especially a teenager.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    The op was very straight up in saying it was an off the cuff remark that he knows was inconsiderate and downright stupid. He told the principal that. He's recognised what he's done and seems to have learned a lesson. His whole approach is really healthy. If someone came to me with that attitude I'd be delighted, especially a teenager.

It's beyond inconsiderate. His version of it is the only version we have. There are two sides to it. He has also got a lot of poor advice here. He has another lesson to learn: in the workplace decisions about what happens to him after things like this aren't his to make. Sensible people will take into account the innate immaturity and foolishness of his age not build him up to try to tough out a situation where he hasn't a leg to stand on. Climb down OP.

no they couldn't, they can't even get rid of students who physically assault teachers in most schools, so to think you would be possibly expelled here is numptiness

Armelodie wrote: »
    no they couldn't, they can't even get rid of students who physically assault teachers in most schools, so to think you would be possibly expelled here is numptiness

You are poorly informed. A quick google revealed: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/education/tds-son-one-of-four-pupils-expelled-for-bullying-teacher-194258.html

Its a matter for individual schools.

• Advertisement

You are poorly informed. A quick google revealed: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/education/tds-son-one-of-four-pupils-expelled-for-bullying-teacher-194258.html

Its a matter for individual schools.

Ah yes, ' research' from one case in 2012 .. and you neglected to mention that the boys were readmitted when things died down!
    So my poorly informed self did some more googling and found this http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/teachers-attacked-amid-gangland-culture-266529.html
    to counter the case you speak of.

In any event nobody is going to expell the OP, sure the principal might be over icing the cake but kicking someone out for a joke is easy fodder for a joe duffy show... like the usual 'son with no uniform/long hair not allowed sit exam' story.

OP, just forget about it, the principal sure as hell aint thinking about it over the weekend. If he still gives you hassle then ask him how far he is willing to take it, and that he'll have to take the rest up with your parents as you have tried your best to resolve the situation. (Thats if you are determined not to give the other boy's name). I dont understand why he would want the other boys name though ! You've admitted what youve said

Otherwise, just give him the name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement