Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Reading all the new updates here my youngest is 5 so policies change a lot within a hospital but i have a pic from every scan i had on both my babies from when they are teeny tiny to when you can make out their face ! I always asked though if i could please have a print out ? So maybe ? I hope this is still the case ! Just wondered if anyone will be finding out the sex of their baby on the 20 wk scan or keeping the surprise ? I didnt before and wont again this time ! Every time i went for scan before i even sat down i always said i dont want to know in case they told me . It was actually unusual for most people not to find out think it has changed now though ! On my last scan before my little girl was born which was around 6 weeks before i gave birth the sonographer could see the babies hair moving in the scan there was so much of it ! She told me cos she said she had not seen this before and yes my daughter had a full head of hair and i mean full ! It was amazing and she never lost it ! My son had only a little but i had cronic heartburn on both ! And the beast has returned already !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I think I would like to find out catchery. I wanted a surprise at first but now I think the curiosity will get the better of me.
    I had an omlette in the hotel this morning. it was folded over and when I got to the end I noticed it looked very runny or something inside. and I had ate most of it. I'm a bit worried now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi Irish Girl I am sure one is nothing to worry about, I accidently had prawn crackers twice at the start of my pregnancy because I didnt know I should be avoiding them. If anything, this might put your mind at ease: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11214685/Its-safe-to-eat-runny-eggs-pregnant-women-told.html.

I wont be finding out the sex before the birth and my OH doesnt want to either so that worked out well. I am the most curious person EVER but I always imagined when in labor that moment of 'It's a boy / girl' so that pretty much made up my mind :) it's a very personal decision though, lots of people choose to find out / not find out and it's always the best decision for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

You're not supposed to eat prawn crackers...?

I had 7 pints in 2 nights the weekend before I found out I was pregnant and i'm fine so I'm sure you'll be grand Irish Girl. They just advise you to cook it through because of the risk of listeria/samonella which is tiny to begin with. If you were eating them every day then you might want to cut back ;)

I'm also not finding out the sex, I like the idea of having something to look forward to during the 24 hours of agony.

Is everyone cutting alcohol out completely? I have, bar a radler last week, but I hear so many different things from different people. Some nights I'd murder a glass of wine :(

thanks guys! never heard that about prawn crackers either. I had a good bit to drink coming up to christmas before I found out..and then I was shocked! but the midwife told me not to worry

• Advertisement

Apparently not Dobbit, but sure wee accidents happen lol. Same with the runny eggs, it was a once off and the chances of you coming into contact with listeria/ samonella on that once off are so so so slim so I wouldnt be worrying about it. I had blue cheese dip with chicken wings last week and was over half way through the dip before I remembered it was on a list of stuff I should be avoiding as well. It's hard to keep on top of everything.

haha Dobbit I think the exact same, I am hoping my curiosity will act as a motivational push (no pun intended) during those tough hours.

I had a few nights out (hard to avoid so close to Christmas) when I was drinking before I knew I was pregnant. Though actually once week six hit I went off the idea of alcohol completely - I had already cut it out but I thought I would miss it but after wk 6 the thought of it made me feel ill. That being said I had a tough day on Sunday and I was sitting thinking on Sunday night I could have killed for a glass of red wine, I was almost salivating at the idea of it.

My gp was only saying last night after the first trimester I can indulge in the odd half glass of wine on very special occasions but I dont know if I will bother since I seem to have gone off it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

What's wrong with prawn crackers?? I ate a load of them Saturday night, other than being horrifically fatty and of no nutritional value what's wrong with them?

I'm 29 weeks now, I drank a few glasses of wine early on and will have the odd sip of hubby's beer because it's SO GOOD, I'm not a big drinker anyway so haven't really missed it. Non alcoholic beer a couple of times hit the spot, but I'll have a small glass of wine at upcoming weddings and stuff, I love red wine so am not going to say no to a free small glass with my dinner :)

My midwife said runny eggs once in a while are fine, once they are not completely runny, but I don't like them like that anyway, just a teeny wobble. I've eaten so many things you're not "supposed" to eat, and haven't had food poisoning which is the main problem with most of them, and haven't overdosed on Vit A or caused any problems to baby. I've had pasteurised soft cheeses, medium steak/venison, paté, mousses, (I love my food), a lot of it is CYA stuff I think. I think the New Zealand list of things to avoid is hilarious.

Mamma Dolla swears by Nanny State made by Brewdog. It's a really nice alcohol free craft beer, available in most good off licences.

We read on the NHS site that alcohol can be limited to 1-2 units a week. So, not every week so far, but she will have a glass of wine or a pint most weeks.

Mamma Dolla swears by Nanny State made by Brewdog. It's a really nice alcohol free craft beer, available in most good off licences.

We read on the NHS site that alcohol can be limited to 1-2 units a week. So, not every week so far, but she will have a glass of wine or a pint most weeks.

I tried Nanny State last week! It's not for me though, she must like her beer nice and strong :p

I'm trying to convince Mr Dobbit I'll be grand if I have a radler now and then but he's a worry wart bless him.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/alcohol-medicines-drugs-pregnant.aspx#close
    The Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RCOG) says the safest option for women is not to drink at all during pregnancy, but adds that small amounts of alcohol in pregnancy (not more than one to two units once or twice a week) have not been shown to be harmful.

;)

• Advertisement

I'll print that and stick it to the fridge!

I actually quite like Becks NA beer, had some on NYE and on the few nights I have been out and trying to hide the pregnancy. Did the job :D

I swear by the NHS site. I used to be an NHS patient and I find there is no BS or OTT crap on it. Have used it for other things other than pregnancy, great advice tool.

Starting to get really nervous about my 12 week scan tomorrow. Have already had an early scan at 8 weeks I am just being a little worrier now.

Isn't it that the drinking advice is similar to the co sleeping advice? There are enough not-very-clever people who would drink a sh!t ton or co sleep after drink/alcohol, so they "have" to advise everyone to avoid it completely rather than risk the others not following the units per week/safe co sleeping advice.

Isn't it that the drinking advice is similar to the co sleeping advice? There are enough not-very-clever people who would drink a sh!t ton or co sleep after drink/alcohol, so they "have" to advise everyone to avoid it completely rather than risk the others not following the units per week/safe co sleeping advice.

This is the health and safety world we live in.

What's co sleeping?

What's co sleeping?

Sleeping with your baby/child on you (when very small) or in the bed with you, instead of in a separate cot/cradle/bed.

tootsie you will be fine. I was the same. worrying about nothing. as soon as I got the scan I seen the baby flipping and jumping all over the place. let us know how it goes 😊. its mad to think of you didn't pay for your private scan that this would be your first one. How do people wait that long!?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Hi girls,

Has anyone started showing yet?

I am a little worried that I havent really got much of a bump. I am 15+5.

I have a scan next week so cant wait to see if everything is ok!

cowlove wrote: »
    Hi girls,

Has anyone started showing yet?

I am a little worried that I havent really got much of a bump. I am 15+5.

I have a scan next week so cant wait to see if everything is ok!

Me again, even though I don't belong in this thread :o Don't worry about it, there is no "standard" time to start showing. I'm only starting to show now at 29 weeks.

Me again, even though I don't belong in this thread :o Don't worry about it, there is no "standard" time to start showing. I'm only starting to show now at 29 weeks.

Thanks SB :)

How did women cope years ago when there were no scans!!

• Advertisement

I'm kind of showing but I'm still really in the "Did she have a large lunch or is she pregnant?" category. Like spottybananas said, everyone is different.

cowlove wrote: »
    Thanks SB :)

How did women cope years ago when there were no scans!!

My mum had one scan with me, I think in a lot of ways it must've been easier, the fact that we know we can get a scan at the drop of a hat if we pay for it makes us want it more, if you had no option of a scan you'd have no option but to get on with things and assume it was ok. In the US they seem to get scans from 4-5 weeks on, then they expect them incredibly often, so the more you get the more you want.
    Dobbit wrote: »
    I'm kind of showing but I'm still really in the "Did she have a large lunch or is she pregnant?" category. Like spottybananas said, everyone is different.

Yep, I have been told I look like I just ate a big meal, and I do look like I did when I was about 1.5 stone overweight, except there isn't a scrap of it on my face this time, just a bit of a roundy stomach. Whereas a friend of mine is 21 weeks and has a massive football bump!

My mum had one scan with me, I think in a lot of ways it must've been easier, the fact that we know we can get a scan at the drop of a hat if we pay for it makes us want it more, if you had no option of a scan you'd have no option but to get on with things and assume it was ok. In the US they seem to get scans from 4-5 weeks on, then they expect them incredibly often, so the more you get the more you want.

Yep, I have been told I look like I just ate a big meal, and I do look like I did when I was about 1.5 stone overweight, except there isn't a scrap of it on my face this time, just a bit of a roundy stomach. Whereas a friend of mine is 21 weeks and has a massive football bump!

I dont think my mum had any scan and she told me she never worried about losing me or my brother or anything going wrong.

Maybe I am expecting too much too soon regarding the bump. I look like i've eaten a big meal too.

Yeah the fact that we have relatively easy access to check if things are wrong it makes us want to do that more. Some of the ones on US websites are living in very remote areas, like Northern Canada and stuff, and they only get scans/check ups when medics fly in. They generally are relaxed because there's nothing they can do in between times so there's no point getting worked up. I have to say I don't worry too much about something going wrong, mainly because if something did go wrong there isn't a whole bunch I/they can do. I think my opinion is coloured by things that have happened to people close to me, but it's good really, I don't get worried because I know I have no control over it.

With the bump, honestly there will be some women who have a bump (be it bloat or otherwise) by 10-12 weeks, then there will be ones apparently like me who have 10 weeks left and nobody notices unless I told them. I'm keen to see how long this can go on for with me :D It's great fun when someone asks how long I have left and expect me to say I'm due in July/August :pac:

Hi all! Scan today went absolutely perfect! Got five brilliant pictures which are all so clear and got to see baby kicking and punching. The little nugget was asleep when the scan started (sleeps exactly like my husband with the legs crossed was hilarious to see) a little nudge from the nurse (and the few mouthfuls of lucozade i had before going in) and they were woken up and we got treated to lots of little movements. Due date is officially Aug 28th!

Not showing here at all then again I'm only 11 weeks 5 days lol. I actually lost weight because I was so ill so I'm smaller now. Still a size 10 but carrying a little less around my stomach and butt. Mind you the latter could have done with dropping a few pounds lol

Glad to hear your scan went well ms tootsie.
    Does anyone here know the situation with work. I am on rotational shifts and some days I'm I'm 1.30-10pm. My question is ,if I'm in the hospital on 8am for an appt and can be there for a few hours, am I still expected to work my full shift if the hospital appt is before my 1.30 start in work.
    I'd be knackered ,can barely stay awake past 9 as it is

Glad to hear your scan went well ms tootsie.
    Does anyone here know the situation with work. I am on rotational shifts and some days I'm I'm 1.30-10pm. My question is ,if I'm in the hospital on 8am for an appt and can be there for a few hours, am I still expected to work my full shift if the hospital appt is before my 1.30 start in work.
    I'd be knackered ,can barely stay awake past 9 as it is

hi there irishgirl19 i used to work shift and what i did was take the time after my app , take the time off the start of the shift say 2hours so dont start work until 3.30 go to bed and rest before you go in ?

I have my scan tomorrow im really excited ! Im sorry if i have freaked people out saying i am huge but this is my third pregnancy and it is different . Also everyone is different do not be freaked out if there is only a tiny bump or none at all you are fine ! My friend did not start showing until 6 months and was tiny but had a beautiful baby boy 7lb and 6oz so dont be worrying ! I should be more sensitive sorry guys ! I hated when people commented on my bump before asking me are you sure there is only one baby in there ! I even had a man in work say you are the size of an elephant ! Nice eh ! Sorry guys !

catchery wrote: »
    I have my scan tomorrow im really excited ! Im sorry if i have freaked people out saying i am huge but this is my third pregnancy and it is different . Also everyone is different do not be freaked out if there is only a tiny bump or none at all you are fine ! My friend did not start showing until 6 months and was tiny but had a beautiful baby boy 7lb and 6oz so dont be worrying ! I should be more sensitive sorry guys ! I hated when people commented on my bump before asking me are you sure there is only one baby in there ! I even had a man in work say you are the size of an elephant ! Nice eh ! Sorry guys !

Ah no. Don't apologies. It wasn't your post at all. I was away at the weekend and friends were saying "I cant see a bump at all" and it started playing on my mind!

Best of luck with your scan tomorrow and im glad your scan went well Ms Tootsie!

• Advertisement

thanks cathery I'll say that to work tomorrow and best of luck with your scan :-)

Advertisement