Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    For gods sake,throw it on the back of a trailer if the worst comes to the worst. I’d say you would start a row in an empty house.

Not everyone has a trailer. Also I don't see what's wrong with expecting any business to deliver the service they agreed to deliver.

For gods sake,throw it on the back of a trailer if the worst comes to the worst. I’d say you would start a row in an empty house.

I see his point. I too have restricted access to my entrance. Each and every time I ordered from coal warehouse I'd get them to add a note on the delivery about using a smaller truck when delivering. I also made the same request to Connolly's transport too.
    EVERY time(bar once) the delivery was made it was in a large rigid truck that couldn't gain access. The truck would block the road not an overly busy road but often caused delays. Then you'd have to listen to the driver mouth off about not getting in. Like My3Cents above I'd have a printed transcript of the email request about using a smaller truck and show them.
    Then the coal would be dumped into my entrance blocking it completely. We've stones on our driveway so a pallet truck is useless. If they came during the day time when I was at work this meant my wife would be blocked in until my return. When I did get back home I then had to handball the coal into the wheelbarrow 2 bags at a time. I don't mind the work out but it's very very tough going and if I wasn't able to do it what would be done then? It's nearly always raining the day of delivery too :rolleyes:

The smaller truck, which only came once, could reverse right up the driveway, drop the pallet onto the path outside the shed meaning I could use my own pallet truck to bring it in easily into where I store it. No dirty messing and no fear of doing in your back lifting heavy bags.

So I completely understand what My3Cents is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yes,but for them to deliver coal at the price they do , they must deliver in bulk.
    Expecting them to come 2 hundred miles in a small truck is asking a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes,but for them to deliver coal at the price they do , they must deliver in bulk.
    Expecting them to come 2 hundred miles in a small truck is asking a lot.

Most of those big delivery outfits have contacts with fellas that have smaller trucks. Most 7.5 ton vehicles will get to almost every address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There was no row :) Driver delivered to the end of the drive this morning. He even apologised for not being able to reverse down our narrow drive to deliver closer.

Ordered from Coal Direct on a Friday (before a bank holiday Monday) and delivered Thursday morning.

Driver didn't call first as he had the eircode and had looked up on his phone where the house was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Every time I get an alert I’m expecting a bargain for coal

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

my3cents wrote: »
    There was no row :) Driver delivered to the end of the drive this morning. He even apologised for not being able to reverse down our narrow drive to deliver closer.

Ordered from Coal Direct on a Friday (before a bank holiday Monday) and delivered Thursday morning.

Driver didn't call first as he had the eircode and had looked up on his phone where the house was.

Good to hear,now start up a fire and tell us how it’s burnin!

Still have two bags left from last year so will be a while yet.

Its Union Nuggets so I know exactly how they burn, perfect in our range cooker.

From a bargain point of view you can get a lot more heat from ovoids which are a similar price so as I always point out Union Nuggets aren't a best buy if all you want is a bargain.

Our main aim is to keep the kitchen warm and heat the hot water so we aren't firing up the same size fire you'd need to cook in the oven, we do however keep the stove going at least 12 hours a day and 24/7 when its freezing outside and Union Nuggets allow us to keep a small fire ticking over easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Only fellas wanting to be pampered by random truck drivers.

Coal ware house now selling B na M briquettes €4 a bale https://www.facebook.com/658154320965461/photos/a.658621970918696/1905711696209711/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Are the ovoids from Coal Warehouse called Union Nuggets? With Warde Haulage, it comes out at e72 for delivery, so would be e322 for tonne of these.

• Advertisement

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Are the ovoids from Coal Warehouse called Union Nuggets? With Warde Haulage, it comes out at e72 for delivery, so would be e322 for tonne of these.

NO! Union Nuggets are completely different.

Ovoids = Coal + Pet coke - burns hot

Union Nuggets = Compressed brown coal - a lot less heat

If anyone knows where I can get the rekord briquettes around cork let me know please, they burn for hours and give out great heat compared to the regular turf/peat ones from board an mona
    I was getting them from star fuels in Mitchelstownfor €11 a bale but they aren’t sticking them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

my3cents wrote: »
    NO! Union Nuggets are completely different.

Ovoids = Coal + Pet coke - burns hot

Union Nuggets = Compressed brown coal - a lot less heat

Thanks - that saves me some pain. I can't see ovoids in their updated price list - does this mean they're just the same price as the last price list they published I wonder (e280)? Have contacted them to find out.

EDIT: they got back to me - ovoids are €300, which brings them to €370 with delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The Coal Warehouse is charging €300 per ton for ovoids now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Anyone here burn "PREMIUM EMERALD COLOMBIAN COAL" from KosyKing lately ? Looking at ordering something for the winter for my garage multifuel boiler.

Priced at €332 a tonne including delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Beautiful clean coal

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Frunchy wrote: »
    Beautiful clean coal

Could you use it in an open fire (PREMIUM EMERALD COLOMBIAN COAL).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clement

I'm currently burning Colombian coal from kosy king. Its good coal with good heat. It burns down well but does have a few stones in it, it is also quiet smokey before it gets going. It is not as good as cpl Colombian which I had last year at 400 a tonne delivered. I will be going back to cpl next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Frunchy wrote: »
    Beautiful clean coal

Beautiful and clean in the same sentence as coal :confused:

Beautiful and clean in the same sentence as coal :confused:

He uses Cilit bang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Currently trying to get through a tonne of black diamond coal bought from Coal Warehouse last year. The buying process was great, delivery was great, but the quality of the coal is really disappointing. Stove is full of, what can be described as stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Black diamand coal from CW is absolutely rubbish, on the other hand their ovoids are the best I have come across

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

rustynutz wrote: »
    Black diamand coal from CW is absolutely rubbish, on the other hand their ovoids are the best I have come across

I got the ovoids last yr too... and still burning it, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Anyone have any dealing with Richmond coal supplies in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

I agree with the description of Black Diamond Coal from coal warehouse.

I bought a tonne of it last year and it is the worse coal I have every burned.

The pieces are tiny and the heat is only mediocre. Yes, it was cheap but it was far from being a bargain.

I'm back to using Staffords Premium Polish at this stage.

I'm putting off moving to ovoids/smokeless as long as possible to avoid corrosion damage to my 316 chimney liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

mph_96 wrote: »

The pieces are tiny and the heat is only mediocre. Yes, it was cheap but it was far from being a bargain.

I'm putting off moving to ovoids/smokeless as long as possible to avoid corrosion damage to my 316 chimney liner.

was in the exact same boat last year with the Black Diamond so switched this year to the Colombian coal and its excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

was in the exact same boat last year with the Black Diamond so switched this year to the Colombian coal and its excellent!

Just an FYI - there are calls from human rights organisations to boycott Colombian coal producers due to the impact its extraction has on the local population. Recent article here on "blood coal" from the Guardian, and here regarding possible links between one of the producers and paramiltaries.

I'm no campaigner on these issues, but this just came to my attention the other day and thought that the ethical issue highlighted might influence the choices of some on this thread.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

mph_96 wrote:

Can smokeless cause damage to liners

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mph_96 wrote: »

An absolute world of a difference

Anyone know where the staffords coal comes from? Columbia? Poland?

• Advertisement

Can smokeless cause damage to liners

Smokeless ovoids normally contain massive amounts of pet (petroleum) coke which burns clean(ish) but very hot.

However imo the acids formed from the sulphur in smokey coal make it no better in that type of liner.

Advertisement