Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,868 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

lenscap wrote: »
    No they are not a mix of cheap and cheerful with a few ovoids thrown in.
    I was told they are ovoids only, large for open fire or stove, small for stove only.

What are payment options ?
    Is paypal possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Their smokeless ovoids might be hard on a stove -

"Our Smokeless ovoids, are a combination smokeless Anthracite Phurnacite and Pep Coke combination solid fuel for use on multi-fuel stoves and selected other cookers."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is that 20 kg bags?

Yes €9 a bag in Galway

Have any Ecobrite users found the composition of coals, percentages etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Discodog wrote: »
    Have any Ecobrite users found the composition of coals, percentages etc ?

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuel-details.php?id=28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Here's a list of all all the authorised smoke controlled fuels in the U.K. It also gives a breakdown of their ingredients. There are other ovals that don't make the list that could have high pet coke and sulphur content. It's the high sulphur content that can damage stoves and chimneys.

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=all&download=pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

macjohn wrote: »
    Their smokeless ovoids might be hard on a stove -

"Our Smokeless ovoids, are a combination smokeless Anthracite Phurnacite and Pep Coke combination solid fuel for use on multi-fuel stoves and selected other cookers."

Here is a list of makeup of Arigna Fuel Cosyglo
    " comprise anthracite (as to approximately 35 to 50% of the total weight), petroleum coke (up to approximately 45% of the total weight), bituminous coal (up to approximately 20% of the total weight) and a starch or other organic binder (up to 5% of the total weight) "
    This sounds similar to the Easyglow.

and Ecobrite
    "comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 96% of the total weight) and starch as binder (as to the remaining weight)"

Here is a list of makeup of Arigna Fuel Cosyglo
    " comprise anthracite (as to approximately 35 to 50% of the total weight), petroleum coke (up to approximately 45% of the total weight), bituminous coal (up to approximately 20% of the total weight) and a starch or other organic binder (up to 5% of the total weight) "
    This sounds similar to the Easyglow.

and Ecobrite
    "comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 96% of the total weight) and starch as binder (as to the remaining weight)"

Backs up what I suspected. Ecobrite is good. I couldn't find anything when I put Ovoids in the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

First stove fire with the CW ovoids , very impressed with the heat output .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Is it only a matter a time before this comes to an end...

https://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/

Scale of the problem

To understand the scale of the problem, John provides the example of a standard truck carrying 20t of coal from Northern Ireland to the South without the application of Carbon Tax and the differential in VAT. The perpetrator saves €1,195.61 in Carbon Tax alone. The difference in VAT increases the evasion ‘prize’ to €2,005.61.

John notes: “That’s too tempting for too many. Not alone does the Irish Exchequer lose the tax income, but the legitimate trade can no longer compete. However, that’s only part of the problem. There’s now an active online forum which explains how consumers can ring a courier company based in Dublin and arrange collection of coal from a coal warehouse in Co.Tyrone. Customers are also encouraged to ‘like’ the Facebook page, and it now has 7,726 likes. The problem is that many consumers are genuinely unaware that, if they do not personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border, they cannot import it without paying Carbon Tax.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Is it only a matter a time before this comes to an end...

https://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/

Scale of the problem

To understand the scale of the problem, John provides the example of a standard truck carrying 20t of coal from Northern Ireland to the South without the application of Carbon Tax and the differential in VAT. The perpetrator saves €1,195.61 in Carbon Tax alone. The difference in VAT increases the evasion ‘prize’ to €2,005.61.

John notes: “That’s too tempting for too many. Not alone does the Irish Exchequer lose the tax income, but the legitimate trade can no longer compete. However, that’s only part of the problem. There’s now an active online forum which explains how consumers can ring a courier company based in Dublin and arrange collection of coal from a coal warehouse in Co.Tyrone. Customers are also encouraged to ‘like’ the Facebook page, and it now has 7,726 likes. The problem is that many consumers are genuinely unaware that, if they do not personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border, they cannot import it without paying Carbon Tax.”

Only time LOL that article is over 2 years old and it gets dragged up here every so often.

"The problem is that many consumers are genuinely unaware that, if they do not personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border, they cannot import it without paying Carbon Tax.”

I am no legal expert but the important point is personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border

The truck would have to be stopped, searched and then proven that you were not with the goods at the time and on the spot they crossed the border (not five mile down the road).

The fact that CW don't supply the goods including delivery, removes them from being the exporter.
    The purchaser organised the transport.

One could argue that you had to engage a transport company as you personally couldn't transport such a heavy load BUT you did drive behind the truck as it crossed the border (the exact spot on the road) and then drove on ahead.

I can't see it being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

vectra wrote: »
    Just spotted this advert on Donedeal
    > https://easyglow.ie/index.php

Could this be another contender?
    50x20kg smokeless ovoids for €312 delivered to us.

thanks for the heads up on this offer, I've order a mixed pallet, 50% open fire 50% stove/open fire coal. I'm nearly certain I've used this brand before via a local coal distributor.

317 euro / 285 pound the other night when I ordered. They seem to be updating the euro price every day depending on the exchange rate so it's 321 euro today. Used a revolute card as it gives the best rate and no additional fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

pawrick wrote: »
    thanks for the heads up on this offer, I've order a mixed pallet, 50% open fire 50% stove/open fire coal. I'm nearly certain I've used this brand before via a local coal distributor.

317 euro / 285 pound the other night when I ordered. They seem to be updating the euro price every day depending on the exchange rate so it's 321 euro today. Used a revolute card as it gives the best rate and no additional fees.

Is that mixed pallet the small and large ovoids?
    I am looking to order this as Pat rang me and advised I try that mixe as a first load to see which one works best for me. He certainly seemed to know what he was talking about.
    If that is what you ordered. Could you point out which option I should oreder as I dont want the wrong one.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

My local building providers, Topline have BNM Premium Ovoid Gems 20kgs on offer at 5 20kg backs for 49euro. They are usually 11.50 each. This doesn't seem too bad or would anybody know anywhere cheaper?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

jaffa20 wrote: »
    My local building providers, Topline have BNM Premium Ovoid Gems 20kgs on offer at 5 20kg backs for 49euro. They are usually 11.50 each. This doesn't seem too bad or would anybody know anywhere cheaper?:)

Get them from the north, it would be about 33 euros for the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

vectra wrote: »
    Is that mixed pallet the small and large ovoids?
    I am looking to order this as Pat rang me and advised I try that mixe as a first load to see which one works best for me. He certainly seemed to know what he was talking about.
    If that is what you ordered. Could you point out which option I should oreder as I dont want the wrong one.
    Thanks

this seems to be the one you're after but double check (i went for the ordinary fire coal and the openfire/stove coal option)

https://easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal#!/1-Ton-50-ECO-Glow-&-50-EasyGlow-Smokeless/p/79338096/category=22442025

this seems to be the one you're after but double check (i went for the ordinary fire coal and the openfire/stove coal option)

https://easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal#!/1-Ton-50-ECO-Glow-&-50-EasyGlow-Smokeless/p/79338096/category=22442025

Thanks
    I went fo rthe 50/50 pallet
    https://easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal#!/1-Ton-50-Open-Fire-50-Stove-Smokeless/p/79334921

Paid via Paypal.
    Letting PP convert it was almost 340 euro
    I changed it to AIB conversion and got it for 321 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Had my pallet load delivered today. Ordered on Wednesday and delivered this morning. Half polish coal (for my dads fire) and half ovoids (for my stove) the 20/25 kg bags are very handy. The only gripe I have is when ever I order I only get a call from the driver when he's 5 mins from the house. Great price though

I assume you got your delivery?
    Were you waiting long fro it?
    I was supposed to get mine today but still waiting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

Hi All,

I've used the Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse. Its dirty enough and has a lot of very small pieces that cause bother for the grate in my stove in terms of distortion.

Has anyone bought coal from Kosy King?? I'm looking for a better grade of coal than Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse.

Thanks

mph_96 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've used the Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse. Its dirty enough and has a lot of very small pieces that cause bother for the grate in my stove in terms of distortion.

Has anyone bought coal from Kosy King?? I'm looking for a better grade of coal than Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse.

Thanks

I would have thought ovoids would be the better choice for stoves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

I agree that ovoids might be better but they are not great if you have a 316 grade chimney liner....................... I've been told that a PET content of 20% or less is ok but I dont want to chance it.

Hence the query for good quality standard coal.

Thanks

I got my delivery today from Easyglow. It was one ton of the stove ovoids, the small ones. They were bagged in 20kg which made it very easy to move and store.

I light the stove at 17:30 this evening and now (21:20) the ovoids are giving out great heat. They burn with a small flame and then glow red. It might be a bit early but I am very happy with my purchase.

Has anyone else any experience of the Easyglow ovoids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭homingbird

I got my delivery today from Easyglow. It was one ton of the stove ovoids, the small ones. They were bagged in 20kg which made it very easy to move and store.

I light the stove at 17:30 this evening and now (21:20) the ovoids are giving out great heat. They burn with a small flame and then glow red. It might be a bit early but I am very happy with my purchase.

Has anyone else any experience of the Easyglow ovoids?

Do they produce enough heat to run your rads off your stove. Its the only reason i am slow in buying ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bootser

Hi lenscap, how much ash left? Any glowing embers this morning? Glass still clean? I use a local supplier for ovoids so just wondering how these would compare, im paying 19 a 40kg bag, so these would work out 6ish a bag cheaper :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

homingbird wrote: »
    Do they produce enough heat to run your rads off your stove. Its the only reason i am slow in buying ovoids.

Why wouldn't they produce enough heat to run rads when there is more heat locked up in ovoids than normal coal?

Apart from anthracite or one of the cheap high pet coke blends what are you burning that has more heat per kg than ovoids?

Yes the Easyglow ovoids heated the 9 rads and the water.(16kw stove) There was the usual amount of ash that ovoids produce. The glass stayed clean on the stove. I didn't do an overnight burn but the ash was still hot in the grate with a few red embers (that was 12 hours after last fueling).

IMO if you use a stove then ovoids are the best option. I used bituminous coal once (just 40kg bag) and the amount of soot and dirt crazy. I reckon if I used normal coal I would need the chimney cleaned 3 times a year, at least.

I have tried many combinations of fuel and the best I have found for my stove is ovoids and wood/peat briquettes. One ton of each (that's two ton in total) see me through the whole winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

lenscap wrote:

Where did you buy them from ? How much per ton ? Thanks.

Advertisement