Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Where did you buy them from ? How much per ton ? Thanks.

https://easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal

€322 approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Leslie91 wrote: »

When did you order and how long did it take for delivery?
    Did you get a phone call first?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

lenscap wrote: »
    Yes the Easyglow ovoids heated the 9 rads and the water.(16kw stove) There was the usual amount of ash that ovoids produce. The glass stayed clean on the stove. I didn't do an overnight burn but the ash was still hot in the grate with a few red embers (that was 12 hours after last fueling).

IMO if you use a stove then ovoids are the best option. I used bituminous coal once (just 40kg bag) and the amount of soot and dirt crazy. I reckon if I used normal coal I would need the chimney cleaned 3 times a year, at least.

I have tried many combinations of fuel and the best I have found for my stove is ovoids and wood/peat briquettes. One ton of each (that's two ton in total) see me through the whole winter.

So mainly just ash left in the morning ? Many small pieces left ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭jaffa20

El Nino09 wrote: »
    So mainly just ash left in the morning ? Many small pieces left ? Thanks

I was wondering. Is the small pieces not normal? I've burnt ovoids (BNM cosyglo) a few times now in the stove and just leave the small pieces for the next fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I was wondering. Is the small pieces not normal? I've burnt ovoids (BNM cosyglo) a few times now in the stove and just leave the small pieces for the next fire.

I found that with Coalhouse oviods it was nearly all ash next morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

lenscap wrote:
    I got my delivery today from Easyglow. It was one ton of the stove ovoids, the small ones.

Any particular reason why you got the small ones if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

vectra wrote: »
    When did you order and how long did it take for delivery?
    Did you get a phone call first?

Fellas are fierce worried about getting the phonecall around these parts of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Any particular reason why you got the small ones if you don't mind me asking ?

The small ones were recommended for a stove by Pat of easyglow. Remember a ton is a ton regardless of ovoid size.

For more details see my post #1725 on page 115.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

mph_96 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've used the Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse. Its dirty enough and has a lot of very small pieces that cause bother for the grate in my stove in terms of distortion.

Has anyone bought coal from Kosy King?? I'm looking for a better grade of coal than Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse.

Thanks
    I bought from cosy king last year - hate to say it, but it was utter crap. Their "gold house coal" is like bags of pebble. I still have half a pallet and will use it as top up fuel once the fire is going well.

I'm going back to bnm "house coal" - 5 x40kg + 6 briquettes for €90 in Quinns. http://www.quinns.ie/index.php/fuel-packs-101014/ . For me, its best value (open fire not in smokeless zone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

lenscap wrote:
    For more details see my post #1725 on page 115.

Thanks for that. Now that you've tried them out could you say what brand that can be bought locally is nearest to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

vectra wrote: »
    I assume you got your delivery?
    Were you waiting long fro it?
    I was supposed to get mine today but still waiting :(

I asked them to delay delivery until this week. It was meant to go to the courier on Monday and I was told to expect it to arrive Tuesday but most likely Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All - A lot of new options are getting discussed on this thread. Last year all in I got three tonnes of ovoids for two houses using stoves.
    My old man stated that this was the best coal to ever come into his house. The coal was from the coal warehouse. I am going to buy again and am wondering is the offering from Coal Warehouse the exact same ovoid as last year ? Does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Fellas are fierce worried about getting the phonecall around these parts of late.

It's one thing that genuinely puts me off. A ton of coal isn't something you can leave with a neighbour. Taking a day off costs me money. Couriers are notoriously unreliable. I think that it's reasonable, for €60, that the driver calls you well before the delivery time.

Discodog wrote: »
    It's one thing that genuinely puts me off. A ton of coal isn't something you can leave with a neighbour. Taking a day off costs me money. Couriers are notoriously unreliable. I think that it's reasonable, for €60, that the driver calls you well before the delivery time.[/QUOTE]

Would you like them to set and light the fire for you as well? Not uncommon for people to take time off work to leave in a workman/builder or make an arrangement for a neighbour to let someone in or make a drop of building materials etc. If you can't make an arrangement maybe this BA isn't for you. I'm not a courier but delays etc. are often outside of their control. A €60 drop isn't going to make them millionaires either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

A €60 drop isn't going to make them millionaires either.[/quote]

Nor would a 30 second phone call kill them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I think that it's reasonable, for €60, that the driver calls you well before the delivery time.
    A €60 drop isn't going to make them millionaires either.

Driver probably only gets €15-€20 of that €60 and has probably 15-20 drops / collections during the day and almost all to business premises.

They dread the "home delivery" pallet as invaribly there's no forklift and the person probably wants the pallet in some difficult to reach area.

Easy Glo order arrived this morning.
    Delivery guy had an electric pallet truck and brought the pallet up the whole street. Nosey Gits out the doors looking LOL
    Anyhow, Got a pallet of mixed ovoids ( I thnik 30mm and 100mm is what Pat said they were.? )

Strange thing,
    With the past few years I have been getting deliveries from a local crowd.
    When the 20kg bags came to light I thought they were fierce handy so got those all the time.
    Most of the time I would have my coal bunker empty bar 3 or so buckets of coal just to keep it fresh and stop a build up of Dust in the bottom of it, Always it would take 12 x 20kg bags to brim it.
    Today my bunker was empty , Not one knob of coal in there.
    I thought this morning I would fill the binker first with the usual size ovoids ( 100mm )
    Surprise surprise. 10 bags later and I would have struggled big time to fit another one in there.
    Hmm. Go figure :)

So. Onwards and upwards.
    OH
    It was Monday AIB took the money from my account, it ended up at 330 euro .
    Cheapest I got an offer from ( the local guy that I normally get from was 430 )

Will post back with results.
    OH
    Got an email today from pat to know if my delivery arrived, I told him it did indeed.
    within 10 minutes I got a phone call and it was was the girl in the office , Just a call to ensure all went smoothly.
    All in all, Happy with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Hey guys, just an update on my situation.

After trying the ovoids last year from the coalwarehouse I decided to give up the turf and timber this year and go all in on coal. So I ordered 2 pallets of ovoids with 5 bags of those black diamond.

So as per last year the ovoids burn really really well in the range. A full fire bucket will give me rougly 6 hours of nice burning and a really warm house. That's the positive, now for the negative.... After reading some great reviews about the black diamond here I got 5 bags to try out for the open fire, and I was seriously not impressed. It lit well at first with a nice flame but as soon as it burnt the smoke off it seemed to form a crust kind of like a slack covering. The crust was pretty tough to break through with the poker! On the upside of this, what I did notice was if I put a log of hardwood on the bed of coal it really got it going and it gave out nice enough heat but nothing spectacular. So all in all I'm glad I only got 5 bags of Black diamond. I hear the clear flame is supposed to be very hot so I might get a pallet of that and mix with the ovoids for the open fire.

Also, I've read some comments here saying a 'ton is a ton' when buying 40kg or 20kg, well it should be right ? But what I've noticed is, last year I got all 40kg bags of ovoids and I got 3 days out of 1 bag in the range. So now I should be getting 3 days out of 2 bags, Hmmm, I'm not really sure to be honest. Last year the fire bucket was full to the brim every day for the full 3 days, this time after using 2 bags I had to open another to fill to the top.
    The 20kg is absolutely much easier to carry. I had to take 100 of the 20kg bags in off the side of the road and while it was tough, I don't think I would have been able to do it all myself if it was the 40 kg bags, but saying that for value purposes, I would rather have the 40kg bags.

Right I'm off to light the range with some ovoids lol :D

It's one thing that genuinely puts me off. A ton of coal isn't something you can leave with a neighbour. Taking a day off costs me money. Couriers are notoriously unreliable. I think that it's reasonable, for €60, that the driver calls you well before the delivery time.[/QUOTE]

Would you like them to set and light the fire for you as well? Not uncommon for people to take time off work to leave in a workman/builder or make an arrangement for a neighbour to let someone in or make a drop of building materials etc. If you can't make an arrangement maybe this BA isn't for you. I'm not a courier but delays etc. are often outside of their control. A €60 drop isn't going to make them millionaires either.

If they give the customer an hours notice the unloading etc will be much easier. I have had so many deliveries where couriers could of saved time by a 1 min call or 10 second text. The last one, for some inexplicable reason, left a Makita drill in my neighbour's barbecue whilst they were on holiday. We only found it a week later when then returned.

Maybe this BA isn't for me but several posters have complained about the lack of notice. A ton of coal isn't like a normal delivery

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Driver probably only gets €15-€20 of that €60 and has probably 15-20 drops / collections during the day and almost all to business premises.

They dread the "home delivery" pallet as invaribly there's no forklift and the person probably wants the pallet in some difficult to reach area.

Then don't accept the work. If they aren't willing to be helpful then the coal companies should use someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Then don't accept the work. If they aren't willing to be helpful then the coal companies should use someone else.

The fact that they all seem to use the same carrier indicates that there may not be anyone else.

I've pointed out before that pallet loads of one tonne aren't normal domestic deliveries. The service is normally used by businesses where someone is normally in during office hours.

Coal Warehouse are also covering themselves against any possible legal issues by distancing themselves from the transport leaving it to the customer to sort out the delivery.

If you can find a carrier who will fulfill your high standards then I'm sure Coal Warehouse will let you use them. Coal Warehouse just put your order together on a pallet and put it in collections area to be picked up by the carrier you organise.

my3cents wrote: »
    The fact that they all seem to use the same carrier indicates that there may not be anyone else.

Easy Glo use a different carrier.

I've pointed out before that pallet loads of one tonne aren't normal domestic deliveries. The service is normally used by businesses where someone is normally in during office hours.

Coal Warehouse are also covering themselves against any possible legal issues by distancing themselves from the transport leaving it to the customer to sort out the delivery.

If you can find a carrier who will fulfill your high standards then I'm sure Coal Warehouse will let you use them. Coal Warehouse just put your order together on a pallet and put it in collections area to be picked up by the carrier you organise.

The previous courier Kelly's (I think) used Prompto Dispatch in the South. Prompto didn't really have suitable trucks to do the drops but Kelly's were a big customers of theirs so didn't want to refuse.

All I am asking for is a delivery day & a phone call :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I got my delivery on Monday as arranged with Easyglow. On Saturday the transport company rang me to say that it would be a smaller lorry than the normal and the tail lift was smaller. For safety reasons they were splitting my ton of ovoids onto two pallets and the call was out of courtesy. The guy also said he would be delivering to me at 9:00 on Monday morning.

On Monday morning at 8:55 I got the call asking for directions to the house. Ten minutes later the first pallet is dropped kerbside of my drive. The delivery company name on the docket was Target.

Regarding a ton being a ton and bag size, well when emptied into the coal bunker a ton is still a ton (minus the bags). I can't see how a 20 or 40kg bag makes any difference to the amount of coal received.

Anyway I am happy with my ovoids from Easyglow. BTW they made a follow up phone call to see that I got my delivery ok and was I happy with everything. That was good customer service.

I had used Kosyking before and they were just as helpful and delivery friendly but Easyglow won on price this time. €321 V €363 (approx) delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deisedav

Got a ton of the larger ovoids this year from kosyking. I ordered Monday lunchtime and asked the chap if I could get the delivery on Friday and without a signature as we would both be working. No problem he said. Got a phone call on Wednesday to say that the driver was ten minutes away. I said I ordered it for Friday and I was working so just plant it in the driveway. Got home at 4.15 so had to get it put away in the pissing rain as I had to collect the 2 young fellas at 4.45. Got it put away in the half hour, the smaller bags are handy but I was bollixed after it. Using it in a open fire. Lit the fire at 7 and put a small bit on . Put a decent load on again at 9 and it was still lovely and warm at 12. Really happy with this coal, nice even heat. I even decided not to ring up kosyking to give them a bollocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

I bought a ton of Black Diamond coal from the Coal Warehouse a few weeks back. I'm sorry to say it's very poor quality and I'm not impressed at all. Very small pieces, I can live with that but it doesn't burn very well either. I'm left with a huge amount of cinders and unburnt coal in the stove every morning and it seems to form this hard crust over it. I won't be buying from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I bought a ton of Black Diamond coal from the Coal Warehouse a few weeks back. I'm sorry to say it's very poor quality and I'm not impressed at all. Very small pieces, I can live with that but it doesn't burn very well either. I'm left with a huge amount of cinders and unburnt coal in the stove every morning and it seems to form this hard crust over it. I won't be buying from them again.

And having read this thread you didn't notice that ovoids get lots of recommendations for stoves and that Black Diamond isn't a stove fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I ordered a ton of Ovoids from Coal Warehouse, was about €340 incl. delivery. Was delivered a couple of days later and I realized they had dropped black diamond instead of ovoids, rang CW, spoke to the manager, sound guy, he offered me the pallet of black diamond for €200 (save him paying to have it collected), and would deliver the ovoids this week, so at that price (€4 a 20kg bag) I couldn't resist.

Have burnt a bag while waiting for the ovoids to be delivered, it gave off great heat, and heated 12 rads through my Stanley stove, fair enough, it is a little smokey, and leaves some lumps behind, but it's easily as good as polish coal I buy locally for €8 a bag. The plan is, use a bucket of black diamond to start the fire and through off some fast heat, and then use the ovoids for the rest of the evening.

Two tons of coal for €540, now that is a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

The biggest problem for several stove users is to find ovoids that are really suitable for use with a 316 chimney liner. Hence, lots of us are still using smoky coal.
    I've rang several suppliers and trying to get a definite answer from some of them about the PET content is difficult.
    So any recommendations for ovoids that are ok for use with the 316 chimney liner would be definitely welcome.

Advertisement