Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gales/Stormy Conditions in Connacht & Ulster Dec 10-11th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I'm flying into Dublin tomorrow evening from the UK. That'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Met Office UK have just upgraded from a Yellow warning to an Amber warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Office UK have just upgraded from a Yellow warning to an Amber warning.

Yep. Warning of "exceptionally large waves" for the west coast of Scotland.

The Met Eireann warning also includes the risk of coastal flooding now too.

As always I shall be working when the brunt of this storm hits :( Damn you weekday storms!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

As always I shall be working when the brunt of this storm hits :( Damn you weekday storms!

Thats a nasty cough you're having there Mr Collins ;)

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Thats a nasty cough you're having there Mr Collins ;)

I started to freak there now when you said that as I actually currently have a bad cough haha!!

Unfortunately, too many genuine sicks days this year already so can't pull another or I'll have no job come the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Wind picking up in Kilrush Co Clare, strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Pretty windy in Galway also

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Its quite blowy and overcast in Waterford too, I'm sure Mickger844posts will provide the hard-numbers ! (thanks Mick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I just caught the end of the Sky News weather report and they showed a graph with a big black kind of blob on it (sorry for my terrible terminology) is that a warning of snow or just bad wind/rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

obezyana wrote: »
    I just caught the end of the Sky News weather report and they showed a graph with a big black kind of blob on it (sorry for my terrible terminology) is that a warning of snow or just bad wind/rain?

Sounds like sea swell chart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Sounds like sea swell chart

Ah right cool thanks, by the way you definitely have the best user name iv seen on boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just driven home; Killarney to Moll's Gap and the weather is awesome. Great visible swathes of water sweeping across the skies and the car hard to handle... All the "rivers" are flowing strong down the mountain by Barfinnihy Lake. Glad to be in from it and home until Sunday now; may decide to pump up the new air bed downstairs as the dangerous trees are still here :mad: Wild and noisy here now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some sort of minor squall feature just passed through here in the last 5 mins. Peak rate 26.3 mm. Only lasted a minute or two. Short & Sweet.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

obezyana wrote: »

For your viewing Pleasure ...this the site that Sky got the sea swell Chart from .

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/

1-1418191200-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Typical Sky News ramping, to an untrained eye you'd think we were heading for the apocalypse based on that chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like the strongest winds will be around noon tomorrow, just about touching storm force on the Donegal coast on the 12Z HIRLAM.

Bkr5LYX.png

First time I can remember an Orange warning for a storm that has its centre up near Iceland. :pac: Testament to the size of the windfield I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Big gust in Dublin just blew my bins over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Getting gusty in Cork city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy here on the North Kerry coast but nothing too bad yet, 10 min avg wind speed 29 kph NW ( gust 55 kph ) cooling dow now from a high of 12.2C to 7.7C atm.

Mace Head and Malin Head with gusts of 48 knts in the last hour but surprisingly Dublin Airport with a gust of 49 Knts.

M4 Buoy: Off the Donegal coast Approximately 45 nautical miles (83 km) west northwest of Rossan Point / Wave Height 7.1m
    M6 Buoy: Deep Atlantic Approximately 210 nautical miles (389 km) west southwest of Slyne Head / Wave Height 7.9m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

My Webcam pointing out into Donegal Bay. With a 4.00m tide at 7:13am tomorrow morning there is a probability of overtopping. It will be dark but car park lights should increase visibility if rain holds off.

http://www.donegalbaywaterbus.com/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I'm reading 68kmph here. Right in the coast, South Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

My god it is freezing tonight , aint been on here in a while, charts looking interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yes stormy here in Donegal all evening, and this isn't even the storm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

What I find quite interesting at the moment is the pressure reading - 1010mb in the middle of the country which seems to be quite high given the force of winds countrywide. It just falls in under the definition of a LP system if I'm right (1013mb is mean sea level pressure). Or is this unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

DominoDub wrote: »
    For your viewing Pleasure ...this the site that Sky got the sea swell Chart from .

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/

1-1418191200-1.gif

I can't swim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its getting very wild now (Louisburgh Co. Mayo)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Its quite blowy and overcast in Waterford too, I'm sure Mickger844posts will provide the hard-numbers ! (thanks Mick)

Max gust of 58km/h from earlier and currently gusting to 20km/h so nothing of real interest here yet. I think we are too far away from this Low to give anything severe. We will wait and see what happens.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Emirates aircraft talking to Shannon ATC reporting wind speed of 170 knots, Shannon passing info to other aircraft and one guy needs to change his flight level due strong wind or he will be short of fuel reaching his destination,

Advertisement