Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamir Rice Video Released

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

kylith wrote: »
    I agree. They just drive up and shoot him. There is no attempt to assess the situation at all.

I'd say they did assess. They probably saw a loan kid in the playground and decided the call was a hoax. They drive over to him and as they get near he starts to pull a realistic gun from his waist. At that stage they are too close not to do anything about it.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Very highly likely .

Funny it's happend here 8 or 9 times and yet nobody gets shot or killed by armed gardai

Can you link the report of the child pulling a relaistic gun on armed police in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Trekker09 wrote: »
    If he'd have been a white kid waving an airsoft gun in the Hamptons he'd still be alive.

So much fail in one sentence. You a peer reviewed study proving this ? Bearing in mind for a start in the hamptons it would probably be a gated community.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd say they did assess. They probably saw a loan kid in the playground and decided the call was a hoax. They drive over to him and as they get near he starts to pull a realistic gun from his waist. At that stage they are too close not to do anything about it.

Can you link the report of the child pulling a relaistic gun on armed police in Ireland?

Kids and adults and no shots fired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Kids and adults and no shots fired

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Why

They're toys that have the potential to get people killed. There's literally no need for them. If you can't give up airsoft toys how will people give up their real guns?

• Advertisement

Sheeps wrote: »
    They're toys that have the potential to get people killed. There's literally no need for them. If you can't give up airsoft toys how will people give up their real guns?

No they don't .

It's irresponsible and idiots given badges and real guns who have impunity from killing civilians that is where the problem lies ,

Airsoft is played across the world including here and yet we don't get Gardai killing people for having airsoft guns or in legal RIFS ( realistic imitation firearms )

America has a major problem with shoot to kill and ask questions later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

floggg wrote: »
    You wonder what training, if any do these people have. You see army personnel in these situations and they instinctively know how to control a dangerous situation and their own instincts and fears. The police however seem to show no awareness in how to deal with these things at all - yet are heavily armed and seem to be given free reign to use force.

Soldiers don't operate in civilian urban areas (unless there's conflict), and they never operate on instinct.. Soldiers will always operate according to their training, command structures, SOP's (standard operating procedures) and ROE (rules of engagement).

You can't compare the two environments and jobs, they simply don't relate.

Also a military unit brings firepower many, many times that of a cop unit. Almost immeasurably stronger and beyond that which you could imagine.

As regards this killing, I don't like to sit in judgement over these things because we're simply not well enough informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If he'd have been a white kid waving an airsoft gun in the Hamptons he'd still be alive.

We don't know that do we? They shoot white people too, including unarmed ones. I doubt they'd hesitate to shoot someone they think has a weapon.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    We don't know that do we? They shoot white people too, including unarmed ones. I doubt they'd hesitate to shoot someone they think has a weapon.

On average the various law enforcement agencies in the US shoot and kill 900+ per year

932 for 2015 alone

• Advertisement

No they don't .

It's irresponsible and idiots given badges and real guns who have impunity from killing civilians that is where the problem lies ,

Airsoft is played across the world including here and yet we don't get Gardai killing people for having airsoft guns or in legal RIFS ( realistic imitation firearms )

America has a major problem with shoot to kill and ask questions later

You sound exactly like every american unwilling to give up their guns for the greater good. You're literally posting in a thread about a kid with an airsoft gun where it was mistaken for a firearm which resulted in a kids death.

You want airsoft because you think it's cool. It serves no legitimate purpose in society other than for recreational use and it has resulted in the death of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

So much fail in one sentence. You a peer reviewed study proving this ? Bearing in mind for a start in the hamptons it would probably be a gated community.

So much fail eh? What does 'You a peer review study' even mean?

Go look up fail in the dictionary while I drink my cup of irony :D

......and hereby lies the problem. Is it acceptable that citizens get killed because the police force aren't properly trained?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

......and hereby lies the problem. Is it acceptable that citizens get killed because the police force aren't properly trained?

No it's not. Where did I say that? My point was you can't state with certainty that this wouldn't have happened to a white kid because it probably would tbh. Unarmed white people being shot by police might not make the news but it happens just as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Trained just fine
    - wave gun at police ?
    - get shot

. Unarmed white people being shot by police might not make the news but it happens just as often.
    Nope

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/01/us-police-killings-this-year-black-americans

gctest50 wrote: »
    Trained just fine
    - wave gun at police ?
    - get shot

Great, problem solved eh? You really think the end result was justified? He was 12 FFS

You want airsoft because you think it's cool. It serves no legitimate purpose in society other than for recreational use and it has resulted in the death of a child.

Actually your wrong ,on both points

First I play airsoft and have done for 10+ years for sport and a hobby ,keeping fit and sane wife and 2 kids it's a great for stress .

Second the kid was killed because of another trigger happy cop who's only instinct was to shoot first and ask the question later

Actually your wrong ,on both points

First I play airsoft and have done for 10+ years for sport and a hobby ,keeping fit and sane wife and 2 kids it's a great for stress .

Second the kid was killed because of another trigger happy cop who's only instinct was to shoot first and ask the question later

Yeah, shoot first ask questions later when there's a gun being pointed at you in a country where firearms are common place. Perfectly legitimate. The fact is the problem wouldn't exist in the first place if they banned airsoft guns, and introduced gun control. There is literally no reason for airsoft guns to be legal. They should be like fireworks in this country, only enforced because they're far more dangerous.

Yeah, shoot first ask questions later when there's a gun being pointed at you in a country where firearms are common place. Perfectly legitimate. The fact is the problem wouldn't exist in the first place if they banned airsoft guns, and introduced gun control. There is literally no reason for airsoft guns to be legal. They should be like fireworks in this country, only enforced because they're far more dangerous.

Your arguing two points both wrong .

The gun wasn't pointed at the cops who killed the kid was it .
    And as proven across the world since the late 70's and early 80's airsoft is a safe and healthy hobby it's a fun hobby .
    And a perfectly legal hobby at that .

Cops in a America have been gunning down men women and children for donkeys years under the guise they feared for their lives despite no apparent danger and the fact they know there is zero comeback on them

• Advertisement

Your arguing two points both wrong .

The gun wasn't pointed at the cops who killed the kid was it .
    And as proven across the world since the late 70's and early 80's airsoft is a safe and healthy hobby it's a fun hobby .
    And a perfectly legal hobby at that .

Cops in a America have been gunning down men women and children for donkeys years under the guise they feared for their lives despite no apparent danger and the fact they know there is zero comeback on them

Cops have been gunning down men and women because it's the wild west out there due to lax gun laws. And Cops have been mistaking airsoft guns for fire arms ever since they've started making replica toy guns too. Your argument that an armed cop shouldn't respond with lethal force to someone drawing what appears to be a weapon on them. They could take a chance in order to cater for the fact that it might be an airsoft toy, but they odds are they'll end up dead that way because of the world they live in. Your argument is totally irrational.

To be honest I don't expect you to ever come around to see things rationally (I knew this when I first saw that your username was Gatling and you've got that childish gunman in your signature). People with your mentality are the reason that America can't introduce any sort of semi progressive gun legislation.

Here's a simply question for you. Would you give up your hobby to bring back Tamir Rice from the dead?

To be honest I don't expect you to ever come around to see things rationally (I knew this when I first saw that your username was Gatling and you've got that childish gunman in your signature). People with your mentality are the reason that America can't introduce any sort of semi progressive gun legislation.

Total nonsense seriously

You ignored the question, but never mind. Here's a different question.

How many people do you think would be mistakenly killed every year for holding a replica fire arm if air soft guns weren't readily available on-line and in shops for people as young as 12 to buy?

You ignored the question, but never mind. Here's a different question.

How many people do you think would be mistakenly killed every year for holding a replica fire arm if air soft guns weren't readily available on-line and in shops for people as young as 12 to buy?

Well see you've to be 16 to buy one here online wise is an issue but to answers there's thousands of airsoft guns here but Zero have been shot by armed Gardai despite multiple situations where armed gardai were involved Zero here .

In america it doesn't need to be a replica even having a bright blue and yellow Nerf toy that doesn't look like a real firearm will get you shot and killed by a cop

Well see you've to be 16 to buy one here online wise is an issue but to answers there's thousands of airsoft guns here but Zero have been shot by armed Gardai despite multiple situations where armed gardai were involved Zero here .

In america it doesn't need to be a replica even having a bright blue and yellow Nerf toy that doesn't look like a real firearm will get you shot and killed by a cop

You cant just make up things to try and justify your ridiculous stance on gun control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You cant just make up things to try and justify your ridiculous stance on gun control.

The primary factor in this and many cases was not what he was holding but what skin colour he had.

Nodin wrote: »
    The primary factor in this and many cases was not what he was holding but what skin colour he had.

Yeah, because if he was holding a sandwich the same thing would have happened.

Yeah, because if he was holding a sandwich the same thing would have happened.

....OK lets look at this!
    1. A 12 year old kid has a toy gun and he's acting all 'gangsta'
    2. A blanked out bystander casually walks by without (seemingly) any concerns
    3. A concerned person calls it in, saying that it's more than likely a fake
    4. Above is not relayed to the officers
    5. Officers arrive and shoot the kid

From what I can understand, the rookie cop jumped out and shot the kid straight away. Either that or he was shot when he was lying on the ground, either one would appear to be a breach of protocol. This could've been because the officers had already made their mind up, on hearing that they were going to a predominantly black area, that the suspect was guilty.

I spent a few years growing up in white collar areas of Atlanta and Pensacola, and I can assure you that cops responding to a report there would act differently.

....OK lets look at this!
    1. A 12 year old kid has a toy gun and he's acting all 'gangsta'
    2. A blanked out bystander casually walks by without (seemingly) any concerns
    3. A concerned person calls it in, saying that it's more than likely a fake
    4. Above is not relayed to the officers
    5. Officers arrive and shoot the kid

From what I can understand, the rookie cop jumped out and shot the kid straight away. Either that or he was shot when he was lying on the ground, either one would appear to be a breach of protocol. This could've been because the officers had already made their mind up, on hearing that they were going to a predominantly black area, that the suspect was guilty.

I spent a few years growing up in white collar areas of Atlanta and Pensacola, and I can assure you that cops responding to a report there would act differently.

If you were in the same situation you'd have put a bullet in the kid too.

• Advertisement

If you were in the same situation you'd have put a bullet in the kid too.

You really think so? A 12 year old kid? Fortunately I've never been in that situation. But if you think the police acted correctly then I just prey you work in McDonalds :D

Advertisement