Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamir Rice Video Released

Options
  • 27-11-2014 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

A video has emerged of the 12 year old boy who was killed a few days ago. Based on this video, it looks more like a drive-by murder than an arrest.

Video shows a death, but you can't show any details etc.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-cleveland-cop-shoot-12-year-old-tamir-rice-n256656

Originally I stated I was on the police side (from the report they gave it seemed like they gave the kid a chance) but now I take it back. This was wrong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Airsoft guns are toys
    The little boy had a toy gun
    He was pulling it out of his pants waistband so even if it had had an orange tip they would t have seen

the problem is that the cops entered the area that ment they would be in danger and then they had no time to make a better choice
    The shooting is justified from the position but they should have been further back and had rifles and a loud hailer

Also I predict a riot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Tigger wrote: »
    Airsoft guns are toys
    He was pulling it out of his pants waistband so even if it had had an orange tip they would t have seen

the problem is that the cops entered the area that ment they would be in danger and then they had no time to make a better choice
    The shooting is justified from the position but they should have been further back and had rifles and a loud hailer

Also I predict a riot

I don't believe it was murder. The cop probably reacted that way out of instinct and fear as much as anything else.

The problem here is the incompetence, apparent lack of training and attitudes of the cops.

If they believed the kid was genuinely armed why did the they drive in so close and aggressively, immediately exit the vehicle and shoot. Why didn't they enter the scene slowly, park up further back, assume a covered position and attempt to question him.

We see nobody else in the vicinity or in any apparent immediate danger. There was no need for such an aggressive response, no was it wise tactically.

You wonder what training, if any do these people have. You see army personnel in these situations and they instinctively know how to control a dangerous situation and their own instincts and fears. The police however seem to show no awareness in how to deal with these things at all - yet are heavily armed and seem to be given free reign to use force.

From all the recent police shootings in the states it's very clear that there is no respect for life at all amongst the police and it appears to be an institutional culture. They shoot first and ask questions later.

I also don't think its a coincidence that most of the victims of these shootings are black/non-White.

There is an institutional racism whereby they assume every black or brown person is carrying a weapon or about to attack. And they don't have enough respect for these communities or the youths involved to take the time to see if their initial assumptions are through.

So I don't think the problem isn't individual police officers, but the entire system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Holy Crap,

From what I had read before on this I was of the assumption that the cops approached him and told him put down the gun.
    From the video and the report underneath the cops nearly drove at him, shot getting out of the car and then stood there like morons while he was down.

I don't have the best hearing, if someone drove at me yelling something I would be very surprised if I heard them.
    His gun WAS in his waistband. If the cop yelled at him to put the gun down, he would have had to do exactly what he did in the video, reach for the gun, remove it and then place it down.

Holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Jesus christ, how much longer are they going to give these boneheads guns and send them out to kill their own citizens?

Fair enough if a few Gards are a bit thick (and, lordy, they are). All they can really do is give someone a slap.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My immediate reaction was why the hell did they drive in so close if they thought he had a gun?

Someone messed up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,696 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tigger wrote: »
    Airsoft guns are toys

Airsoft guns are not toys, they're replica firearms and should not be brandished in public. From what I've read, the orange tip had been painted over. So as far as the police were concerned it was a real gun.

Saying that, that's a really shocking video. Poor kid didn't have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Rookie cop.

Rookies should be unarmed for the first six months. Some idiots just want to be heros

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They literally drive up and shoot him. They couldn't have killed him any quicker if they'd driven over him.

I had assumed that they had parked some distance away, exited the car, issued instruction to raise his hands, then shot when he didn't comply, but there was no time for any of that. They just drove up and killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Pulled right up & shot him almost immediately.

Like that, gone.

Staggering & tragic.

I agree it was stupid of the lad to be hanging around like that brandishing an airsoft gun.

However if the officers feared that, they wouldn't have driven right up to within a few feet & shot him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is ridiculous to suggest the boy was not armed, it turned out to be a toy, but he was posturing with what was for all real purposes a gun. Could have got hold of his father's gun and was playing 'big man' with it. No-one could know. The fact that he was 12 was not really relevant either, a 12 year old could be more likely to pull a trigger than someone older - simply by not fully understanding the consequences of shooting.

At the same time, for the police to pull up right alongside a person they assumed to be armed and dangerous was wrong. At that distance they had to shoot immediately, they had no protection. It seems obvious that they should have approached from a greater distance and with more caution, both for their own and the boy's protection. They do seem to be trigger happy. On the other hand was it an area where for two police to create a stand off situation while they negotiated might have been dangerous if there was a good chance that other people might get involved or be a threat to their backs.

Everything that happened was a result of social environment. The fact that there are replica guns available to children. The fact that the boy had not enough common sense or teaching not to wave the gun around in a public area. Presumably the fact that the boy's parents had not got the message over to him, though maybe they had, 12 year olds are not renowned for doing as they are told. And mostly the casual attitude towards guns in the gun culture that exists means that the police are very likely to be in the habit of shooting first and asking questions later. As long as there is a gun culture this is not likely to change and people being shot is the price to be paid for the right to carry guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shoot first, ask questions later is pretty much their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I think the problem here is that gun crime is so rife in America, and guns so widespread that police fear the worst every time they are called to an incident, especially if the word "gun" is mentioned by the despatcher. They prefer to err on the side of caution when confronted with what might be deadly force and, in one sense, their argument that hesitation could result in their death has some credence. However, I think it's pretty clear that American cops have become a little bit too trigger happy, preferring to shoot first and ask questions later. And that seems to be the case here- a cop, paniced and in unwarranted fear for his life, opened fire without attempting to evaluate the situation. I don't think it's murder, but I do think it's gross negligence on his part.

Whatever about the specifics of this case as opposed to another though, the liberal approach to gun control means such cases will continue to occur. In Ireland, the idea of a 12 year old with a gun is prepsterous; in the states unfortunately, it's all too plausiable. And until that changes, then little else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

The video is low FPS so it looks like it all happened very fast. You can see the kid attempting to remove the RIF from his pants, at that point being as close as they were (Totally stupid) they really had no choice. They saw a person about to brandish what they thought to be a live firearm and had no reason to think otherwise being produced just feet from them. It was either them or the perp in their eyes.

The whole way they came upon the boy though was idiotic and reckless and should 100% be disciplined for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I advocated giving the cops the benefit of the doubt in the last thread on the subject, I take that back now. The way the story was presented previously is not at all how it played out, the kid didn't stand a chance. It definitely looks like a case of over eager, trigger happy, possibly undertrained cops.

The kid was a f**king idiot, but he should not have died there. So many ways it could have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I advocated giving the cops the benefit of the doubt in the last thread on the subject, I take that back now. The way the story was presented previously is not at all how it played out, the kid didn't stand a chance. It definitely looks like a case of over eager, trigger happy, possibly undertrained cops.

The kid was a f**king idiot, but he should not have died there. So many ways it could have been avoided.

The kid wasn't an idiot. He was 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

He was twelve ffs.

That video is of a murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The video shows a very different situation to what I had envisaged. The police were very gung ho and that kid should never have been shot
    The kid was a f**king idiot

Breaking news: Child acts like a child

He was twelve ffs.

That video is of a murder.

Look up the definition of murder please. So much hyperbole. People need to look at these cases without emotion no matter how hard it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The training officer has a lot to answer for here. He pulled the rookie cop right beside an "armed" suspect

A child (negatively) acting like a child is one that is skateboarding where he should not be, kicking a football through a window, thieving sweets from a shop on a dare. A child with a gun is potentially as dangerous, or more dangerous than an adult. You cannot expect police to say 'ah bless him, he's a kid, come on laddy, give us the gun' in an environment where guns are cool, legal and part of life. The boy was walking towards the police car reaching for the gun. A 12 year old 'messing' would have run, a streetwise 12 year old would have had his hands up.

The police did not follow anything resembling a reasonable procedure either and are also to blame. If they told him to hand over the gun then they are much more to blame, that would be a ridiculous order. We do not know what they said. Sadly there is no clear right and wrong here. In a gun culture, people are going to get shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

floggg wrote: »
    The kid wasn't an idiot. He was 12.

Painting over the orange tip on a toy gun to make it look real and then pointing it at people in public was a very stupid thing to do, a 12 year old is old enough to know this is wrong. It is because he is 12 that I say he definitely didn't deserve to die, he was old enough to know what he was doing was wrong but probably not old enough to realise the gravity of the situation. The cops absolutely approached the situation in the worst possible way and achieved the worst possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Shoot first, ask questions later is pretty much their policy.
    you forgot ...... and make up a story.

Gyalist wrote: »

We do not know the back story here, but even the person talking seems to admit that something was going on. Why does the title assume he was 'innocent'? It seems to establish that not all police are trigger happy. Gyalist, what point are you making, what should the police officer have done in that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some of the language being used by the police is disturbing insight into the way the American justice system works. Referring to him as a "young man". He was a 12-year-old boy FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The kid was a f**king idiot, .

If we was, then I was. As were the overwhelming majority of people here.

He's a child.

Some of the language being used by the police is disturbing insight into the way the American justice system works. Referring to him as a "young man". He was a 12-year-old boy FFS.

To be fair, I have heard many male kids being called young man in the states and in canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

anncoates wrote: »
    If we was, then I was. As were the overwhelming majority of people here.

He's a child.

did you point replica firearms members of the public when you were a kid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Beano wrote: »
    did you point replica firearms members of the public when you were a kid?

Messing around with a toy gun was not beyond the bounds then, no. Or acting in a silly fashion.

Presumably he found it somewhere unless you think he's a hardened fagin type with an arsenal of replicas.

And no matter what he was doing, if you think that, essentially a summary execution, was acceptable, we have nothing to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

anncoates wrote: »
    Messing around with a toy gun is not beyond the bounds then, no.

This wasn't a toy gun.

It was an airsoft replica gun, with its orange muzzle painted over for added authenticity.

Obviously his killing is abhorant, but the "toy gun" line is disingenuous.

Advertisement