Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonder Woman (2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Mr E wrote: »
    Electric Cello actually. :) Out of all the superhero soundtracks in recent years, this is one of the most memorable. I loved the score in WW.

If anyone is fortunate enough to see Hans Zimmer at the 3Arena on the 13th of June they will be hearing this live. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I often find myself whistling the avengers them, apart from the first Captain America film's theme(which was disappointingly dropped) it's the only memorable theme out of the marvel films imo.

Hmmm, I'll be honest, I'm sitting here at the moment and the Avengers theme just refuses to come to me. I'm sure I'd know it if I heard it but there's no residing memory ala, say, Superman '78

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to be honest: while the theme itself is powerful, it's implementation in the film felt off to me. Just didn't feel like it fit the tone and mood and indeed original score of the film up until that point.

It felt like something inherited rather that purpose designed for this film. I think the same criticism goes for the visuals - this is a director hamstrung into at least somewhat aping the stylistic identity (and IMO an exceedingly offputting one) established by another one. It's a shame, because in some ways Jenkins avoids or at least downplays some of the Snyder quirks. But at its worst Wonder Woman feels like it's obliging franchise demands rather than being its own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I felt a bit sorry for the German soldiers in the trenches. Fighting and dying in a seemingly never-ending carnage in terrible conditions and then the other side gets a superhero to start cutting them down with a sword.

I found the exchange with the native American very strange too. He indicates to WW that the Americans, the side she has decided to support in the war, has basically eradicated his tribe, and this illicit no response for her. She never seems to doubt whether her side is the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

She never seems to doubt whether her side is the good guys.

I think they were successful enough in showing that she didn't really take sides either way.

She wanted to a) kill the god of war, and b) save the village they'd passed through on the way. That she was fighting with the Allies, or against the Germans, was circumstantial from her POV.

It's a grand sense of right and wrong which only an outsider could see – and which is sorely missing from the recent incarnation of movie-Superman. I hope WW continues to embody it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yeah I would acknowledge that she was mostly only involved in killing Germans to get to the Ares and it is obvious she is very naïve about war in general. The Germans are either nameless solders or higher ups who gleefully send chemical weapons at civilians. In reality both the Western Allies and Germans used chemical warfare in World War I. I enjoyed the film but think they probably should have set it in WW2 as its a less complex war to depict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I often find myself whistling the avengers them, apart from the first Captain America film's theme(which was disappointingly dropped) it's the only memorable theme out of the marvel films imo.

I find it a weird one to be honest. It's good obviously but I don't ever feel like it's a Superhero theme.

I kind of feel the same about the Man of steel theme. It's great but it's lacking that punch I think a Superman theme should have. I don't think they'll top the John Williams one anytime soon.

Batman's theme from BvS is probably the most disappointing though. I bet most of you will have to google it to even remember it. It's more background music than a Superhero theme. Danny Elfman's version and the animated series are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this last night with the brother and best friend.

i thought it was BRILLANT.

It does feel a tad TOO long, but i got exactly what i was hoping from this film (in fact a hell of alot of what i predicted earlier on in the thread :) ) . it actually had me welling up in places (for me it was the dance scene in the snow with steve) . gadot was a wonderful combination of innocent naivete, stunning beauty, and complete bad ass, and the story unfolds organically. by the times she's in the uniform it feels mertied and the scene itself works on so many levels.

its a really really good origin story. up there with "captain america :the first avenger" for me.

its actually shocking that these comic book movies have SO few characters that are actual bona fide hero's i.e someone that just wants to do good as opposed to someone stuck in the situation and wonder woman pulls that off well.

if if was to nitpick i'd say there one or two scenes where the main villains were TOO ridiculous. i mean literally mustache twirlingly "muh ha ha ha" types . but thats forgivable considering just HOW much cool is in this.

you've got a mainstream blockbuster doing pieces on the nature of war/humanity/love/sacrifice and death. christ you have subtle nods of the head to PTSD and slavery.

i give this a solid 8/10.

about the only thing stopping me say i'd definitely go again is as mentioned earlier its LOOOOOONG. but its not out of the question and i can see it lasting a good while in the cinemas. it feels unfair to compare it to the other DCEU films as lets be honest, its damning it with faint praise to say its the best of THEM.

This is a damn good FILM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Maybe, but I think traditionally Sunday and Monday on the bank holiday weekends are the busier days for cinemas.

There's a nagging thought in the back of my head however that Gal, no matter how well received her performance has been, won't appeal to the female demograph.

I saw at 11:20 on Saturday morning. Figured there'd be 7-8 people there. Decent turn out for that hour of the day. Couple of families, more young girls than young boys, I think.

Film itself I found it quite enjoyable. It's well made and basically a very solid piece of entertainment that leaves no feeling 'why did I just watch that?' There's none of this 'let's make it dark' bollocksology that seems to plague every other franchise of recent years. Reminded me of watching LOTR: FOTR for the first time. Diana is direct and curious from a young age. Pine and Gadot work well together. Never felt like the mission was trying to overtake the character side and it does feel quite personal in the final act, though the battle is fairly familiar stuff. I must admit to somewhat welling up when
    she went over the top/climbed up onto No Man's Land.
    Alas, I can't think of many memorable lines that'll live on. Anyway, throw Patty Jenkins some more projects, execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Mr E wrote: »

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just got back from seeing this and I have to say that I'm impressed thought that wouldn't have been difficult considering the other two entries in this cinematic universe are Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman.

Definitely some good moments which feel organic and spontaneous unlike BvS where the whole film seemed to centre around engineering a few specific shots. It's a shame Jenkins feels the need to resort to slowmo for shots which would have been much better without it.

The theme of human nature is explored fairly well (for a superhero film anyway). Unfortunately, it's slightly sidelined towards the end in favour of big special effects but it's still present at least which is more than I can say for the other DCU films and the MCU as well.

Overall, I thought it was an excellent superhero romp which avoided a few cliches (like Nazis) and is all the better for it. It's not Batman Begins but it's not Man of Steel either.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Saw this last night, overall it was a decent and enjoyable movie but the negatives still stick out more than the positives.

Good:
    Gal Gadot is good, looks amazing in the part. While she's not an amazing actress, she has a charm with the character.
    Chris Pine, I agree with those who say he holds the film together.
    It doesn't overplay the romance. It's nicely underplayed throughout.
    WW's fighting style is cool.

Bad:
    It is too long and easily could have been trimmed to be a tighter movie.
    The CGI was awful quite often. The scene where young Diana is watching all the Amazons practice fighting and each set of actors are greenscreened into an overly greenscreened scene of perfection particularly looks awful. Can they not find some gorgeous place to have shot this in and film them all at once and green screen in the cliff edge/the sea? There is also a WW fight scene where they clearly try to obscure her face throughout due to CG/stunt double which didn't look good.
    The bad guys are not strong enough. Danny Huston adds nothing to being the bad guy with his magic, nonsensical poppers.
    And then she lets Dr Moreau just run off in the end which was daft. She doesn't have to kill her but to let her go is irresponsible given she wants to protect man.
    Chris Pine's mates. He hires them to do what? They were just good travel companions more than anything. The sniper couldn't shoot (one line backstory not good enough), the fez guy did little more and the watered down Indian Chief was embarrassing. Was he the most Indian actor they could get? They didn't really amount to anything until the last sequence, but for me that was too late.
    David Thelewis as the Ares was just laughable. Not his acting,
    just the idea that Ares is this guy rather than a German. It just seemed like an unnecessary and not surprising or well layed out twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I felt a bit sorry for the German soldiers in the trenches. Fighting and dying in a seemingly never-ending carnage in terrible conditions and then the other side gets a superhero to start cutting them down with a sword.

I found the exchange with the native American very strange too. He indicates to WW that the Americans, the side she has decided to support in the war, has basically eradicated his tribe, and this illicit no response for her. She never seems to doubt whether her side is the good guys.

But the Germans have two Gods on there side the difference being evil gods don,t care how many people die to meet there ends and needs.

I would give the film 8 out 10. I enjoyed it but there was parts in it I thought could have been done differently and maybe a bit better. I also think I would have picked someone else to play Trevor and not Chris Pine. Thats just me do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Saw this last night, overall it was a decent and enjoyable movie but the negatives still stick out more than the positives.

Good:
    Gal Gadot is good, looks amazing in the part. While she's not an amazing actress, she has a charm with the character.
    Chris Pine, I agree with those who say he holds the film together.
    It doesn't overplay the romance. It's nicely underplayed throughout.
    WW's fighting style is cool.

Bad:
    It is too long and easily could have been trimmed to be a tighter movie.
    The CGI was awful quite often. The scene where young Diana is watching all the Amazons practice fighting and each set of actors are greenscreened into an overly greenscreened scene of perfection particularly looks awful. Can they not find some gorgeous place to have shot this in and film them all at once and green screen in the cliff edge/the sea? There is also a WW fight scene where they clearly try to obscure her face throughout due to CG/stunt double which didn't look good.
    The bad guys are not strong enough. Danny Huston adds nothing to being the bad guy with his magic, nonsensical poppers.
    And then she lets Dr Moreau just run off in the end which was daft. She doesn't have to kill her but to let her go is irresponsible given she wants to protect man.
    Chris Pine's mates. He hires them to do what? They were just good travel companions more than anything. The sniper couldn't shoot (one line backstory not good enough), the fez guy did little more and the watered down Indian Chief was embarrassing. Was he the most Indian actor they could get? They didn't really amount to anything until the last sequence, but for me that was too late.
    David Thelewis as the Ares was just laughable. Not his acting,
    just the idea that Ares is this guy rather than a German. It just seemed like an unnecessary and not surprising or well layed out twist.

I did not think the movie to long at all in fact I thought it was the perfect length. I would much rather watch a 140 minute movie in a cinema than a 90min one its much better value for money.

As fr the twist at the end thought it was quite good but knew it was going to be something like that when she killed the German aka Ares and did not get the desired result. The other God was not Ares but the God of Truth. It was very clever of him hiding among the British I thought. That way he could control what was going on from the other side as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

AMKC wrote: »
    I did not think the movie to long at all in fact I thought it was the perfect length. I would much rather watch a 140 minute movie in a cinema than a 90min one its much better value for money

This is the craziest film logic I've read in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I love how all the same criticisms of previous films, which were deal breakers were overlooked and generally the film was well received despite them. It was an enjoyable popcorn movie that gives more background for the character in later movies, nothing more. Gadot looks the part and during the action scenes and most of the "talking scenes" she is perfect for the role, but any time she requires to be emotional, it was shocking. When portraying anger or sadness you would see Fair City actors cringe.
    Snyder gets a lot of flack for slow mo's (which I happen to like) but this film must have had more slow mo's than all his back catalogue combined. Pine was quite good in this, better than Star Trek performances, but the rest of the "team" was completely pointless, bar one scene
    the bar scene they are introduced
    I cannot see why they were introduced at all. I thought BVS (directors cut) had much better cinematography, and ultimately a better looking film. It was not without its flaws but to hear things like the theme is better in WW when it is the exact same one in BVS and introduced at much higher stakes moment than in WW is an example of the illogical bias. Delighted it wasn't Catwoman but it was no Winter Soldier or Dark Knight as some would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

AMKC wrote: »
    I did not think the movie to long at all in fact I thought it was the perfect length. I would much rather watch a 140 minute movie in a cinema than a 90min one its much better value for money.
    This is the craziest film logic I've read in a while.

Whilst the value for money statement might be a bit off I agree with the sentiment that I prefer a long movie. Or put it this way I prefer a movie that is given proper time to develop.

BvS was cut to accommodate the adhd generation/get more showings but it resulted in important developmental scenes in the movie (imho). I enjoyed the ultimate edition more.

As long as a movie doesn't drag it can be as long as it likes. This is purely my opinion and taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

techdiver wrote: »
    Whilst the value for money statement might be a bit off I agree with the sentiment that I prefer a long movie. Or put it this way I prefer a movie that is given proper time to develop.

BvS was cut to accommodate the adhd generation/get more showings but it resulted in important developmental scenes in the movie (imho). I enjoyed the ultimate edition more.

As long as a movie doesn't drag it can be as long as it likes. This is purely my opinion and taste

Proper time to develop doesn't equal long though. You can easily have a 90min movie that's perfectly told and would suffer by going a minute over.

I disagree about BvS; it was an overly long, non-sensical mess and, I've said it before, Snyder knew going in that he wouldn't be allowed to release a 3 hour cut so his job was to create a solid coherent movie within the constraints of a roughly 150 minute runtime, which he failed to do. Given the piece of crap that he put in, I think the editor probably did as best as they could. The ultimate cut was just a longer turd, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

These films usually hit around the 2 hour mark don't they? Perhaps WW didn't do enough with that time but to me it's a criticism you could level at most capers of the action/superhero genres. Even the best of them could always do with fat trimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

FrostyJack wrote: »
    but the rest of the "team" was completely pointless, bar one scene
    the bar scene they are introduced
    I cannot see why they were introduced at all.

Indian guy's amazing acting ability by acting like Steve's driver (Indian stereotype) was needed to get Steve into the German party.
    Scottish guy's incredible marksman ability was needed to get drunk and sing (Scottish stereotype), and not fire a single shot.
    Native American guy's amazing ability was needed to send smoke signals (Native American stereotype) so Steve and Diana knew the guy had gone to the airfield.

I enjoyed the film a lot, but my biggest negatives revolve around the above. Particularly the smoke signals which made me have to stifle a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A well made 90 minute film doesn't feel like 90 minutes.
    A well made 120 minute film doesn't feel like 120 minutes.
    A well made 180 minute film.. etc etc...

Running length is immaterial to quality, but if you start to feel or perceive your time in the cinema the film is inherently a failure given it has failed to weave enough of a spell to pull you in.

The word-vomit that passed for BvSs script ensured every excruciating minute was felt, mostly thanks to its terrible pacing and overly convoluted plot, whereas you take 2+ hour epics like the Lord of the Rings films and each one swept by (multiple endings, and extended versions notwithstanding )

techdiver wrote: »

I don't really prefer one over the other as I don't think running time is an indication of quality. But yeah I agree about BvS. Should Snyder have made a shorter version? Maybe but once he didn't and the two options the studio were faced with was cut it down to the theatrical cut or release the better film, they made the wrong choice imo.

In the end it cost them money and cost them reputation. Lessons were hopefully learned and we don't see anything like that **** show again in the DCEU.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't really prefer one over the other as I don't think running time is an indication of quality. But yeah I agree about BvS. Should Snyder have made a shorter version? Maybe but once he didn't and the two options the studio were faced with was cut it down to the theatrical cut or release the better film, they made the wrong choice imo.

In the end it cost them money and cost them reputation. Lessons were hopefully learned and we don't see anything like that **** show again in the DCEU.

I still maintain that you could easily cut 30-40 minutes from BvS and it would have been a much better film. Dream sequences, Lois & the bullet, half of the Lex scenes, the Wally guy, celebs/news debating whether Superman is good or not... The film would still have some issues but it'd be a hell of a lot tighter and enjoyable to watch.

Penn wrote: »
    I still maintain that you could easily cut 30-40 minutes from BvS and it would have been a much better film. Dream sequences, Lois & the bullet, half of the Lex scenes, the Wally guy, celebs/news debating whether Superman is good or not... The film would still have some issues but it'd be a hell of a lot tighter and enjoyable to watch.

Seeing as this is the wonder woman thread I'm sure those reading this don't want to see another BvS debate so I've replied in the DCEU thread below instead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103757056#post103757056

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Watched the movie today and I am thoroughly impressed. Gives me hope that DCEU can start producing good movies.

What I especially liked about the film is how it handled gender dynamics. It's all empowering for women without ****ting on men. Superbly done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed the film more than nearly any modern DC offering. It was well paced, interesting cast of characters and some nice twists I did not see coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Pleasantly surprised by it - wasn't expecting a while lot, but enjoyed it. My favourite funny scene (there were a few!) was probably between Pine's secretary (can't remember her name) and Diana when clothes shopping:
    WW inspecting modest top / blouse - Why would you want to cover your tummy like that?
    Secretary - Only a woman with no tummy would ask that question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Saw this last night in Dundrum. Was in a smaller screen then I expected, (maybe due to how previous DC movies had dropped off in their 2nd week) but was a full house. I have to say I really enjoyed it, it was equal parts thrilling(the No Mans land/Village), funny(All of Diana, Steve and Etta's interactions), Moving(the Climax) and Triumphant(Wonder Woman leaping to action off a tall building in Paris in the final scene). I thought the Chemistry between Pine and Gadot was every bit as good as Evans and Hayley Atwells, you really rooted for them. I thought the fight choreography was great for the most part and didn't have a problem with the use of slo mo.

If I was to find fault it would be pretty much what has been covered here . The CG in the scene where young Diana watches the Amazons train was extremely ropey for a film of this size. Why they didn't either just film on location or failing that throw more money or time at getting it right I don't know. The other fault was the pointlessness of Steves Merry men who ultimately did very little and just served to draw more parallels with Cap's Howling commando's . Ultimately tho neither fault was serious enough to effect my enjoyment of the film .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good film. Don't hate BvS as much as other people seemed to but this was vastly superior. Flowed nicely, great performances, likable characters avoided the groan-inducing cliches that seem to consistently plague super-hero movies. Very formulaic that said, but done in a somewhat fresh manner when you look at the likes of BvS or Suicide Squad with their by the numbers plot progression and finales.

As a major history buff....not thrilled about how they basically Nazified the WW1 German army, wonder how the Germans feel about that one.

Overall though a very solid movie and finally a long awaited (and badly needed) foothold for DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Gal Gadot is almost too beautiful to play the role that she becomes distracting! They did a good job though at not over sexualising her.

Advertisement