Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonder Woman (2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Tony EH wrote: »
    Oh.

So that's the scene that's supposed to knock our socks off?

Taking uninformed potshots at a film you haven't even watched is beneath you Tony. You can usually be counted on for some sound analysis whether it's praising a film or criticizing it. You should just watch the film instead of taking comment's out of context and coming to the wrong conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's not really a potshot PC. I just had it in my head that there was a better NML scene involved. From what I'd heard it was...um "bigger"? But now it's in a small town that nobody gives a toss about. More to do with my own confusion than with having a go.

C'est la Vie.

In any case, I've been open on the thread about my meh about the character and the fact that its war setting (either 1 or 2) will probably grate on me regardless. I make no bones about it.

I'll get around to having a look sometime.

It's not really a potshot PC. I just had it in my head that there was a better NML scene involved. From what I'd heard it was...um "bigger"? But now it's in a small town that nobody gives a toss about. More to do with my own confusion than with having a go.

C'est la Vie.

In any case, I've been open on the thread about my meh about the character and the fact that its war setting (either 1 or 2) will probably grate on me regardless. I make no bones about it.

And in most peoples opinion it was a great scene Tony, but as it suits your preconceptions you're assuming the minority view is correct. As to the town itself, its emotional or narrative importance to the film/war would be clear if you'd watched it or we didn't mind spoiling it for you.

You should definitely give it a look , you might love it, you'll probably hate it, but at least you wont be so confused :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Probably best not to bother considering it's increasingly being spoiled for you.

When we were watching the NML scene we didn't know what happened next. And that had to happen or we'd have people saying, as above, 'WM would have been all over the news!'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It only happened once at a minor town nobody cared about, lasted roughly ten minutes and
    most of the witnesses died the following day

By my reckoning it happened on the 9th of November 1918. Some 30 odd hours before the Armistice. No one would have given any credence to stories of some magical warrior woman freeing some village in the last hours of the war. It would have been a silly urban legend associated with people's relief and joy at the end of such an awful war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

And in most peoples opinion it was a great scene Tony, but as it suits your preconceptions you're assuming the minority view is correct

Neither view is correct, they're just opinions. In mine, that scene was just another scene. I was surprised to see people take to it so much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timothymaxy

I just love this movie, the music, the action scene, all the awesome Amazons. I cried several times when I was in the cinema and I can't wait for the Justice League!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ahoy..there be spoilers ahead !!! ....

What happened to the great big German warship that floated into the island's force-field at the start? why even bother with a ragtag of heroes together when one is a sniper who doesnt shoot, one is an indian who only does smoke signals and the other does the ol 'oh he's so annoying let him in to the castle' schtick? rich woman decides to get out of the car and take a walk through the woods...as you do. Sooooo many plot holes and events that just scream...nooooo, whyyyyy?!!!! CGI horrible for the most part, especially at the beginning...basically just women doing cartwheels to a giant green screen. The script is AWFUL and very very lame. 'i choose love blah blah blah'...cringe!!! Here's my watch...i wish we had more time'...come on!!! Where was Steve actually taking WW before she decided to go across NML??'no we cant go that way, we're going the opposite way'... Just the long way round to the village was it? German soldiers hugging Indians at the end, German soldiers hugging each other... WW killing German soldiers with no remorse or any kind of conflict. "i'm here to save humanity...yeah lets kill some cannon fodder!!!!". Another boss battle in an airfield. Yawn. The two secondary bosses...Dr Poison and evil strong dude were rubbish too. Why didnt Steve when he took over the aeroplane just land it again??? ..... theses are just things off the top of my head... i really cant get the love and amazing reviews for it at all...but i'm glad other people like it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The German ship at the island sank.

The German ship at the island sank.

It did? Missed that! how'd it manage to do that?!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    It did? Missed that! how'd it manage to do that?!! :eek:

It ran on to the rocks, you can see it tilting to the side in the background at some stage during the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Why didnt Steve when he took over the aeroplane just land it again???

The bombs were on a Toy-mar.

For some reason that sentence read in my mind in an Arnold Schschwarzenegger voice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I liked it, which is more than I can say for the rest of the DCEU to date. Gadot/Jenkins really nailed WW's characterisation. But its obvious that the action scenes and most of the third act were outsourced to Snyder's second unit director. And apparently Jenkins really had to fight for the No Man's Land sequence as the studio and/or Snyder didn't see the point of it and wanted to cut it out. :rolleyes: I hope they let her direct all the sequel because she clearly knows what she's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It ran on to the rocks, you can see it tilting to the side in the background at some stage during the fight.

if you have only seen it once you are going to miss some stuff, some people thought it was a plot hole because they were wondering where the ship had gone.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

silverharp wrote: »
    if you have only seen it once you are going to miss some stuff, some people thought it was a plot hole because they were wondering where the ship had gone.

yep... guilty......

I only watched it once, but yeah it happens in the background so I understand why some people would have missed it. Each time you see the ship it's tilting more and more.

What happened to the great big nazi warship that floated into the island's force-field at the start? .............. Nazis hugging Indians at the end, Nazis hugging each other... WW killing Nazis with no remorse or any kind of conflict.

I think we need to have a kind of Godwin's Law off-shoot for every time someone calls the German soldiers in Wonder Woman nazis.

iguana wrote: »
    I think we need to have a kind of Godwin's Law off-shoot for every time someone calls the German soldiers in Wonder Woman nazis.

Good point actually!! My bad! German soliders it is then...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hollywood German soldiers usually are portrayed as nazis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I thought that film was absolute scutter. My punishment for misbehaving kids from now on is going to be to force them to watch the whole film again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The German angle was handled well... enough, by all accounts. Better than I thought it would & had assumed the Germans would be essentially shown as proto-Nazis; but with the obvious exception of the general & Dr. Poison, what little we saw was of a country exhausted by the war & its civilian government wanting an out (more or less what happened), while the soldiers just ordinary saps brainwashed by a lust for conflict.

I doubt the estate of Erich Remarque or Sigfried Sassoon would have thought it all a stirring account of a lost generation or anything, but the film made some lip service towards the notion of a pointless war without demonstrable sides.

Hollywood German soldiers usually are portrayed as nazis.

Because Hollywood predominantly made WW2 movies . Trench warfare just wasn't glamorous enough and neither side fit neatly into the good/bad box Hollywood loves so much .

pixelburp wrote: »
    what little we saw was of a country exhausted by the war & its civilian government wanting an out (more or less what happened), while the soldiers just ordinary saps brainwashed by a lust for conflict.

That was Belgium. What little we saw of Germany was the military commanders and the wealthy at a ball. In reality during this period German was undergoing a military uprising and revolution which forced the abdication of the Kaiser and made Gremany into a democratic republic. On the day that Diana was striding across No Man's Land, the revolutionaries had won, Wilhem II abdicated and his son's claim was renounced, ending the monarchy and Germany was declared a republic. On the day that all the upper classes were waltzing around in a fancy castle in the movie, in reality, the Kaiser was fleeing Germany to live in exile in the neutral Netherlands.

The end of the first world war was actually a hell of a lot more interesting than a generic movie battle between gods. It's a pity that the plot didn't pick up on some of those historical elements. Diana could have provided the inspiration for the Germans to over-throw their monarchy, set up a new republic and declare an armistice. But she could then have been so disgusted with how badly the new republic she inspired was treated in Versailles and essentially crippled from it's inception, leading to the rise of Nazism that she walked away from humanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was Belgium. What little we saw of Germany was the military commanders and the wealthy at a ball. [...]

There was that small scene between the General & a board room of what appeared to be politicians and civilians, which I took to be a nod towards the civilian revolution that happened. It certainly made it clear that at this stage the general & armies were supposed to be beholden to this government. Even the chatter in London appeared more about peace talks than a military victory.

Didn't say the history was correct or anything, and I daresay the opportunity for more nuance was lost under the demand for the mandated CGI showdowns, but by and large the film avoided the lazy portrayal of ww1 Germany as inherently evil Nazis - however low a bar that might be. Heck, they even managed a few Ottoman soldiers in the Turkish / Mediterranean settings, so clearly there was some attempt to get the details right.

Plus at the end of the day, it is a film about gods; as interesting as more accurate historical detail would have been, I don't think a history lesson would have helped the film.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Plus at the end of the day, it is a film about gods; as interesting as more accurate historical detail would have been, I don't think a history lesson would have helped the film.

It didn't have to be though. All of these movies end with a big epic battle showdown, it's just the same old thing over and over and over again. It wasn't bad but it's not new, interesting or exciting. And yet the source material for these movies, while of course regularly including epic showdowns, the stand out stories that last the test of times are the so often the ones which climax mutely in human nature. Stories like God Loves, Man Kills where an ordinary security guard kills the bad guy to protect a super hero who he could see was just a young girl. The Phoenix Saga which ultimately ends in a conversation about how it's impossible to live with so much power and not be corrupted.

The enduring power of comic books has always been their ability to reflect both the good in humanity while also highlighting the uncomfortable truths. The action is a fun bonus but not the central theme. I enjoy a great battle scene as much as the next person but this movie could have been so much more than a generic battle scene climax. There were so many hints along the way that this was going to be much more than a movie where Diana would vanquish the big bad and all would be well. Just moving the setting to the morally ambiguous WW1 instead of her actual origin as a Nazi bashing hero was a hint that this would be something different. And instead it was just DC going the Marvel movie route with muted colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

It didn't have to be though. All of these movies end with a big epic battle showdown, it's just the same old thing over and over and over again. It wasn't bad but it's not new, interesting or exciting. And yet the source material for these movies, while of course regularly including epic showdowns, the stand out stories that last the test of times are the so often the ones which climax mutely in human nature. Stories like God Loves, Man Kills where an ordinary security guard kills the bad guy to protect a super hero who he could see was just a young girl. The Phoenix Saga which ultimately ends in a conversation about how it's impossible to live with so much power and not be corrupted.

The enduring power of comic books has always been their ability to reflect both the good in humanity while also highlighting the uncomfortable truths. The action is a fun bonus but not the central theme. I enjoy a great battle scene as much as the next person but this movie could have been so much more than a generic battle scene climax. There were so many hints along the way that this was going to be much more than a movie where Diana would vanquish the big bad and all would be well. Just moving the setting to the morally ambiguous WW1 instead of her actual origin as a Nazi bashing hero was a hint that this would be something different. And instead it was just DC going the Marvel movie route with muted colours.

Agreed. There was a lot of potential there.

Some seriously bad acting and dialogue.

For a 2017 blockbuster there was well dodgy CGI.

And yeah, she is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,413 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just passed Deadpool in the US Box office.
    vancityreynoldsThe Merc May Be Filthier, but Her B.O. is Stronger. Congrats #WonderWoman #BoxOfficeBoss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWYyVO2jV86/

is there a plot hole with their boat trip from ~Greece back to the UK, it would have taken a month or 2 but in film they have allegedly done it in a couple of days?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

silverharp wrote: »
    is there a plot hole with their boat trip from ~Greece back to the UK, it would have taken a month or 2 but in film they have allegedly done it in a couple of days?

Probably a small one, but they did hitch a ride from a mechanical boat and it didn't strictly specify that they had arrived the day after. A couple of days could have passed.

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    Probably a small one, but they did hitch a ride from a mechanical boat and it didn't strictly specify that they had arrived the day after. A couple of days could have passed.

I think the line was a "tug boat" and they don't normally do sea voyages but even if , it would have taken weeks whereas 2 days would be like 70mph, not something chugging the med at 10 to 15 knots.

Advertisement