Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

think it's sparked a bit of debate at least until it's forgotten about again...

http://www.thejournal.ie/broadband-programme-for-government-2016-2765186-May2016/

I wonder if it was fast tracked and the contact awarded to Siro - as it's esb and they're semi state they could invest without looking like a bunch of dummies. I guess i could dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

damienirel wrote: »
    I wonder if it was fast tracked and the contact awarded to Siro - as it's esb and they're semi state they could invest without looking like a bunch of dummies. I guess i could dream.
    Siro are not semi-state as it is a partnership with the ESB and Vodafone...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Siro are not semi-state as it is a partnership with the ESB and Vodafone...
    Yes does partnership mean private enterprise with no state ownership - handy that? Anyways I did say dream. Pretty sure our politicians aren't too worried about a NBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What impact on the plan will Imagine's LTE rollout have? When it comes to revising the intervention map I suspect Imagine will be pushing to have areas it has covered removed under state aid rules.

Hypothetically this could push back the rollout of FTTH to certain areas well past 2022 if they are deemed uneconomic by Eir or Siro's commercial rollouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

What impact on the plan will Imagine's LTE rollout have? When it comes to revising the intervention map I suspect Imagine will be pushing to have areas it has covered removed under state aid rules.

Hypothetically this could push back the rollout of FTTH to certain areas well past 2022 if they are deemed uneconomic by Eir or Siro's commercial rollouts.
    I wonder that to hate to be stuck with imagine LTE given how expensive it is with it shockingly low 20Gb/day cap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a handy stop gap until people receive FTTH services.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Can Imagine givee 30Mb and what speed up?

marno21 wrote: »

What if the department is forced to remove Imagine areas from the NBP tender. It could leave areas lumbered with the stop gap.

garroff wrote: »
    Can Imagine givee 30Mb and what speed up?

They are making a point of highlighting the minimum 30Mb speed on the product. They are currently spamming their social medfia outlets with speedtest reports from newly signed up customers. Although a few of the posted tests fall under the supposed 6Mb upload.

https://www.facebook.com/imaginewimax

https://twitter.com/imagineGroup__

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The serious answer is that a process has been put in place for updating the NBP map. If the EU accept that process, then, short of hooking someone up, the house should remain in the NBP.

KOR101 wrote: »
    The serious answer is that a process has been put in place for updating the NBP map. If the EU accept that process, then, short of hooking someone up, the house should remain in the NBP.

Can you envisage Imagine challenging that in the courts, delaying the process even further? They are fond of a bit of litigation.

And that whats they said about 3G...and look where that got us...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pegasus1 wrote: »
    And that whats they said about 3G...and look where that got us...
    If Imagine limit their subscribers and not let the cell become oversubscribed, as well as their daily cap to stop binge downloading, it will work out reasonably if there is sufficient backhaul, as the technology (TDD-LTE) is more appropriate than the HSDPA that 3 used for the NBS.

Of course, nothing is as good as FTTH, and this has to be the ultimate solution delivered to every home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

I notice Imagine offer a HUGE 20Gb of data with the LTE 'Fibre' product!
    Very sneaky ploy to ensure they can make the case that they are achieving speeds of 30Mb for current customers....hopefully whoever is evaluating the tenders will see past this.

Imagine.png

If Imagine limit their subscribers and not let the cell become oversubscribed, as well as their daily cap to stop binge downloading, it will work out reasonably if there is sufficient backhaul, as the technology (TDD-LTE) is more appropriate than the HSDPA that 3 used for the NBS.

Of course, nothing is as good as FTTH, and this has to be the ultimate solution delivered to every home.
    If they made it 50Gb/day cap and price at €45 it be a good product but how it is now seem mainly aim at low bandwidth users,I couldn't see myself using there product with cap they have like what the point in having fast broadband if you have limit what you use daily.

rodge123 wrote: »
    I notice Imagine offer a HUGE 20Gb of data with the LTE 'Fibre' product!
    Very sneaky ploy to ensure they can make the case that they are achieving speeds of 30Mb for current customers....hopefully whoever is evaluating the tenders will see past this.

Imagine.png
    I have to laugh at that Huge 20Gb of data what are they smoking :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rob808 wrote: »

20GB/day or 600GB/month does not seem all that minuscule to those who would sign up to that service (because there is no better service available).

Heck, I would jump at such a service today!

rob808 wrote: »

My Bad!
    It's actually 20Gb a day...not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

My Bad!

Try doing a bit of HD streaming and see how long 20GB will last you!

• Advertisement

My Bad!

Actually it is crap...That's only 75GB a month

That would catch a lot of non technical people out. Gb vs GB.
    The sneaky pack of weasels!
    They really should have 2.5GB per day on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lesson for the day: Always read the small print with any sort of satellite and/or mobile provider! ;):p

20GB/day or 600GB/month does not seem all that minuscule to those who would sign up to that service (because there is no better service available).

Heck, I would jump at such a service today!
    They should just do the 600Gb/month and drop the 20Gb/day cap but guess they cant because it probably crash there network and speeds would go down hill.

BandMember wrote: »
    Lesson for the day: Always read the small print with any sort of satellite and/or mobile provider! ;):p

"While the minimum speed that Imagine will connect you at is 30MB but can easily be 70Mb, depending on your location."

:D:D:D:D

So the mininium is 240Mb (30MB) but you may be able to get up to 70Mb!

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm hoping for anyone on it that the 20Gb (bit) is a typo and it's actually 20GB (byte).

I'm hoping for anyone on it that the 20Gb (bit) is a typo and it's actually 20GB (byte).
    I wouldn't count on it...very sneaky of them....suck you in then. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That would catch a lot of non technical people out. Gb vs GB.
    The sneaky pack of weasels!
    They really should have 2.5GB per day on their site.

The standards used, regardless of typos, is that speed is given in bits
    xxGb/s
    while quantity is given in Bytes
    xxGB

It is obvious from this earlier attachment that some typos have crept in
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/591463/385812.png

.... unless you believe that their 30MB on that page is really meant to be 240Mb/s

KOR101 wrote: »
    Is it going to be a case of well, pass the buck..it's them that's causing the delay/problem/confusion/denial/not ready yet/......and then the other lot say the same thing about the other lot....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

The Imagine download cap is 20GB (bytes). Asked them when I spoke with them. Just a typo on the site it seems.

20GB is great for many of us users who only have access to poor FWA services. The fact that downloads between 12AM and 7AM dont count towards the cap also is good. Can schedule any large downloads for during the night, as I already do. If you stream quite a bit and have multiple users in the house then yeah, its a bit low, but again for many people its a lot better than what they have.

As others have said, as long as its a stop gap and doesnt end up being a case of "well, your covered by at least 30Mb broadband, we'll take you out of the NBP". I'm also on the magic blue lines from Eir, if that ever gets done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement