Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

seaniefr wrote: »
    From reading the last few posts I can't ever see rural dwellers getting anything better than imagine 4G/LTE. Look at our parasitic politicians squabbling if you want to wonder as a rural dweller if it's ever going to be fixed . I wish they would just give the bloody contract to Eir and be done with it. They seem to be the only ones with boots on the ground......

Exactly, just give Eir the money at this point and tell them to do everyone by 2022. Of course our real rulers over at Brussels would never approve this since we need to give the appearance of competition and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Exactly, just give Eir the money at this point and tell them to do everyone by 2022. Of course our real rulers over at Brussels would never approve this since we need to give the appearance of competition and all that.
    Just look at BT's announcement in the UK this week. Monopolies will sit on their hands for as long as they can get away with it. EIR are only moving so fast to protect their long term share of the telecommunications market in Ireland. It's currently stabilised at 49% and they need to keep it from starting to fall again.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Just look at BT's announcement in the UK this week. Monopolies will sit on their hands for as long as they can get away with it. EIR are only moving so fast to protect their long term share of the telecommunications market in Ireland. It's currently stabilised at 49% and they need to keep it from starting to fall again.

We have to work with the issues we currently have (like one off housing which urban dwellers seem so whiny about). Eir's monopoly isn't a nice thing for us overall but it's either them or Siro. Siro will by the looks of things take longer compared to the work Eir are already doing to protect their interests. Plus the NBP if I rightly recall would hold the company that wins the tender accountable and they will be under review regularly to ensure nothing bad happens. Given how many TDs representing rural Ireland we have I doubt we'll have the same issues as the UK. We just need to get started here.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bill Shock

Insane decision to separate Broadband Plan from overall Communications Policy. Now have NBP team in new Dept under Heather Humphreys while Communications Policy and staff remaining in reconfigured DCENR.

Is this Kenny's idea of a joke?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Independent TDs are set to demand a new expansion to mobile operators' 4G mobile broadband coverage in rural areas.

The extra mobile coverage is to compensate for delays to the National Broadband Plan, which will not now complete its rollout to 760,000 rural homes and businesses until 2022.

Denis Naughten, an Independent TD for Roscommon-Galway, said the measure was being tabled in discussions by the Independent TDs to support the formation of a minority Fine Gael government.

Mr Naughten said that mobile 4G, which can offer broadband speeds of up to 40Mbs, is to be a "short-term" solution until the state gets its fibre broadband programme on course.

Momentum

"We need to fast-track 4G broadband in the short term," he said. "We are putting a proposal to government. Hopefully we can get some momentum on foot of that."

Any state-ordered rollout of 4G across rural areas would require fast-tracked planning permissions for extra masts and could require a change to existing mobile licences.

"There is existing capacity with the ESB and Bord Gáis lines," said Mattie McGrath, an independent TD for Tipperary who is also involved in government formation talks.

"The NRA also has ducts that could be used."

But the TDs say that they cannot speed up a delay to the rollout of the state's National Broadband Plan, which has been put back because of regulatory and technical reasons.

"Our hands are pretty much tied in relation to rollout of the National Broadband Plan because it is a very complex tendering process that's involved," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/independents-push-rural-4g-rollout-as-part-of-deal-34683515.html
    Now the Minister for Communications.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bill Shock wrote: »
    Insane decision to separate Broadband Plan from overall Communications Policy. Now have NBP team in new Dept under Heather Humphreys while Communications Policy and staff remaining in reconfigured DCENR.

Is this Kenny's idea of a joke?

Really? Do you have a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Really? Do you have a source for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3-9rqgT1O4

3:05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

That.........is...........just............ Speechless!! :eek:

Humphries hasn't exactly set the world alight so far and why are they taking the NBP away from the Department that have done all the work on it so far?? :confused: Unless they move the section and staff responsible for it to the new Department as well (which is a possibility), brace yourselves for further delays..... :(

BandMember wrote: »

Humphries hasn't exactly set the world alight so far and why are they taking the NBP away from the Department that have done all the work on it so far?? :confused: Unless they move the section and staff responsible for it to the new Department as well (which is a possibility), brace yourselves for further delays..... :(

I wonder was the delay in the NBP a few weeks ago a result of this department being designed??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

daraghwal wrote: »
    I wonder was the delay in the NBP a few weeks ago a result of this department being designed??

No, they wouldn't have known what way functions were going to be aligned or at least they wouldn't have known for certain (sure not even the negotiators did). From what I gather, all Departments have been operating on a "business as usual" basis. After every election there are always changes in staff and functions of most/all Departments so things like this are the norm rather than something new. So, fingers crossed that the staff move Department with the section and then delays can be kept to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Does the NBP have any affect on eir's blue lines? Does NBP have anything to do with those lines? I know they are not on the NBP yet but does anyone know are they going to update this with what eir are doing with the blue lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Does the NBP have any affect on eir's blue lines? Does NBP have anything to do with those lines? I know they are not on the NBP yet but does anyone know are they going to update this with what eir are doing with the blue lines?

It is more a case of the blue lines may affect the NBP. As it stands the DCENR has rejected openeir's claim that they will complete the 300000 premises represented by the lines, so the NBP tender remains at 750000 premises.

If openeir do as they claim and complete 100000 premises by March 2017 one would imagine (pardon the pun!) that they would be removed from the NBP.

imagine (pardon the pun!)

I hope not!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

BandMember wrote: »

The NBP team will move to the new dept but it is being separated from both the communications policy and regulatory functions/staff in dcenr which is plain crazy. Unworkable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

seaniefr wrote: »
    From reading the last few posts I can't ever see rural dwellers getting anything better than imagine 4G/LTE. Look at our parasitic politicians squabbling if you want to wonder as a rural dweller if it's ever going to be fixed . I wish they would just give the bloody contract to Eir and be done with it. They seem to be the only ones with boots on the ground......

I think if your rural you come to the conclusion that FTTH will happen, but it will take decades.

Its a nice idea but the level of work involved in actually dropping the infra down is immense and the cost will be prohibitive.
    It is more a case of the blue lines may affect the NBP. As it stands the DCENR has rejected openeir's claim that they will complete the 300000 premises represented by the lines, so the NBP tender remains at 750000 premises.

If openeir do as they claim and complete 100000 premises by March 2017 one would imagine (pardon the pun!) that they would be removed from the NBP.

I would say if they go ahead with anything after a private company stated they were investing into that region, they will be sued into the ground by Eir and any other operator. You can't use government funds to compete against private industry without large pay off's. And in reality, Eir will have the cable installers booked out for the next 3-5 years. So I doubt a single NBP cable will be laid before Eir completes its roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would say if they go ahead with anything after a private company stated they were investing into that region, they will be sued into the ground by Eir and any other operator. You can't use government funds to compete against private industry without large pay off's. And in reality, Eir will have the cable installers booked out for the next 3-5 years. So I doubt a single NBP cable will be laid before Eir completes its roll out.
    That applies if the commercial operator is actually providing a service in the area, and not just making promises about what it might, or might not, do at some future date.
    That is why the gov asked for a written commitment from eir and if it got it then the blue-line areas would have had to be excluded from the NBP.

Implementation of the NBP has already begun with EIR's 100,000 homes this year. So, the NBP has begun AHEAD of schedule.

Implementation of the NBP has already begun with EIR's 100,000 homes this year. So, the NBP has begun AHEAD of schedule.

That's nothing to do with the government or NBP. It's eir rolling out fibre independently. Vodafone and ESB are doing the same with SIRO albeit on a smaller scale

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That's nothing to do with the government or NBP. It's eir rolling out fibre independently. Vodafone and ESB are doing the same with SIRO albeit on a smaller scale

Eir are covering areas that are meant to be covered by the NBP. SIRO are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

marno21 wrote: »
    Eir are covering areas that are meant to be covered by the NBP. SIRO are not.

Not 'meant' to be, but proposed to be, provided there is no commercial service in the same area.
    If eir do provide a service in those areas then the NBP will not duplicate their efforts.

• Advertisement

Can't see how Eir has "chopped and changed” its plans, but it has certainly messed up the process for the NBP, which was it's intention.

BT blames rival Eir for broadband delay

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/bt-blames-rivaleirfor-broadband-delay-398548.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

She noted that a new Cabinet committee on rural affairs would also oversee the plan.

Here we go...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think anyone in an NBP area can safely look at some alternative for the next few years. Eir etc are not to blame, its our government, this is an absolute disgrace. After 4 years since the announcement and we are no closer to a solution then we were previous to 2012. Moving the NBP to a different department is just the icing on the cake to delay this project for year's more.

To be fair to the government, Eir deciding to mess around by having their own "rollout" has caused major issues. Thanks to Brussels they have to carefully tip toe around Eir or just give into them, which Brussels would whine about. We can't get anywhere if private firms decide suddenly to "rollout" even though it's unlikely they'll actually do all 300,000 at this point given there is unfortunately no boot up their backside anymore from the NBP.

The government though could grow a pair and just actually get on with it, it doesn't take that much effort to at least put out the tender officially and begin talks with the candidates. They already consulted with many firms already, there isn't that many of them to negotiate with. Sign off by the end of the year then and if it's an ISP like Siro or Eir they're rollouts have already begun so we could actually get it all wrapped up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Blaming this on Eir isnt really fair, the DECNR wasnt ready to go out to tender anyways even if eir had done diddly squat.

I hope this is not a case of the NBP being Labour's baby, so now........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

To be fair to the government, Eir deciding to mess around by having their own "rollout" has caused major issues. Thanks to Brussels they have to carefully tip toe around Eir or just give into them, which Brussels would whine about. We can't get anywhere if private firms decide suddenly to "rollout" even though it's unlikely they'll actually do all 300,000 at this point given there is unfortunately no boot up their backside anymore from the NBP.

The government though could grow a pair and just actually get on with it, it doesn't take that much effort to at least put out the tender officially and begin talks with the candidates. They already consulted with many firms already, there isn't that many of them to negotiate with. Sign off by the end of the year then and if it's an ISP like Siro or Eir they're rollouts have already begun so we could actually get it all wrapped up nicely.
    too simple, goverments and quangos dont do simple

flutered wrote: »
    too simple, goverments and quangos dont do simple

I know this idea of taskforces and committee groups made up of clueless people is just a classical Irish way of dealing with problems. I might move back to the UK when I'm finished my education.

They already sat down with Eir, Siro and some other providers. They've already done research on WISPs. It's all there, just get the paper and pen and pick a winner on the basis of the best plan that balances speed of the rollout with a rollout of a long term solution that provides a scalable solution for the next 20-30 years.

We don't need yet more advisory groups that continue the cronyism in Irish politics. You'd think the Healy Raes of the world would be pushing for the NBP to happen, heck why didn't any of those independent TDs who are now in government actually demand a national solution to something like broadband rather than things that serve just their own constituency.

• Advertisement

Adrian Weckler's latest. The Independent is really getting behind this ever since the announcement of the delay was their front page headline story. It helps.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/rural-broadband-is-a-basic-utility-not-a-state-intervention-34706247.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement