Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    My neighbour's house is included in eir 300k, KN guys came and for some reason they didn't install, I don't why

If there are duct problems and plenty of people do not want overhead lines for example. There are tons of people around, that refuse to get fibre in because the civils on their property are too pricey or they are too house proud. The installation cost of FTTH is not the only factor here.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Marlow wrote: »
    If there are duct problems and plenty of people do not want overhead lines for example. There are tons of people around, that refuse to get fibre in because the civils on their property are too pricey or they are too house proud. The installation cost of FTTH is not the only factor here.

/M

Yeah I wonder how many people are like that really?
    Usually if you are house proud you will pay for the ducting - if not it you'll be happy enough with an overhead line.
    The real reason is probably a mixture of all factors they either have no interest in fast internet - or already have "fast enough internet" and they don't want to pay for ducting or have the overhead line attached to the house.

Another factor is where people are already with a provider - tied into a contract and have adequate service and it's cheaper. Won't even consider it until their contract is up and even then they might not want to pay more for something they can live without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I wonder how Eir are going to handle the Copper->Fibre transition over the next few years. They're pretty adamant that they've got no intention of maintaining a dual-network, so all or most existing copper customers are going to have to move over to fibre. I'm surprised that when installing the fibre the removal of any existing copper isn't mandated. Would surely help pay for the fibre in some small way also from the operator perspective.
    If Eir were to make a case of the removal of the copper as part of their USO, then surely it's a reasonable thing to suggest that it's beyond the net cost of providing the service, and they could reclaim the costs from the government......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder how Eir are going to handle the Copper->Fibre transition over the next few years. They're pretty adamant that they've got no intention of maintaining a dual-network, so all or most existing copper customers are going to have to move over to fibre. I'm surprised that when installing the fibre the removal of any existing copper isn't mandated. Would surely help pay for the fibre in some small way also from the operator perspective.
    If Eir were to make a case of the removal of the copper as part of their USO, then surely it's a reasonable thing to suggest that it's beyond the net cost of providing the service, and they could reclaim the costs from the government......

As the USO is not dependent on the method of achieving the result ..... copper wire or wireless for instance ..... would it not be equally reasonable to expect Eircom to fund the change from one means to the other, bar changes in terms of USO.

I am inclined to the belief that openeir should have arranged the withdrawal of the copper when fibre is being installed instead of customers being left with both.
    The only difficulty with that idea, that I am aware of, is the necessity for a battery backup so that emergency calls could be made in the event of a power failure.
    Could they reasonably expect customers to pay for that?
    I think so, especially if it was included in the 'phone' section of the invoice (as a separate item of course).

• Advertisement

Could they reasonably expect customers to pay for that?
    I think so, especially if it was included in the 'phone' section of the invoice (as a separate item of course).

Surely it would still be cheaper than maintaining a concurrent copper line? I thought there was some legal reasoning behind holding onto the copper lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

turbbo wrote: »
    Surely it would still be cheaper than maintaining a concurrent copper line? I thought there was some legal reasoning behind holding onto the copper lines?

I am not certain, but suspect it is the emergency calling that might kick in ...... yet some (most?) people have been changed to VOIP and no backup battery supplied, so my suspicion does not seem to hold water ;)

It might all be down to Eircom challenging the terms of the USO presently .....

I am not certain, but suspect it is the emergency calling that might kick in ...... yet some (most?) people have been changed to VOIP and no backup battery supplied, so my suspicion does not seem to hold water ;)

It might all be down to Eircom challenging the terms of the USO presently .....

Yeah I don't find myself agreeing with Eircom too often but think they're bang on challenging that USO.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Well if openeir is adamant on removing copper lines from service they'd wanna talk to eir retail they seem to be putting people back on em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

5 years and 10,000 posts later and we are still waiting for the contract to be signed!

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    5 years and 10,000 posts later and we are still waiting for the contract to be signed!

You wouldn't need to be in a rush alright!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Once a thread hits 10,000 posts it needs to be retired for the sake of the boards.ie database servers, so I've started a new thread on this topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement