Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dj wrote: »
    That Paul O'Connell interview with Chris was brutal. Paul what's in this for you??

It was like he was interrogating a politician.

That's half the problem on that show. Everything is so adversarial, they're always looking for an interrogation rather than an interview, even when the guest doesn't warrant it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like the Chris-Ciaran partnership I have to say. Ciaran Cuddihy(sp?) has really come a long way IMO, I could see myself very easily listening to them every morning if Ivan were to take over the Hooky Monster's slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Ugh another week of embarrassinglying drawn-out Alan Partridge-esque text-in quizzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

jooksavage wrote: »
    Ugh another week of embarrassinglying drawn-out Alan Partridge-esque text-in quizzes.

Amateur hour, or even amateur 3 hours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

"Seagulls are the thugs of the bird world." - Chris Donoghue, 2016.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris commenting this morning on a news item about the sabotage of a Spanish red wine tanker in France - "70,000 litres! That's nearly a thousand bottles"

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Chris commenting this morning on a news item about the sabotage of a Spanish red wine tanker in France - "70,000 litres! That's nearly a thousand bottles"

Maybe they were all #3 here?

wine-bottle-sizes-red-wine.jpg

Chris is young, he's probably still shkulling naggins in the park, far from wine he was reared!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe they were all #3 here?

wine-bottle-sizes-red-wine.jpg

Chris is young, he's probably still shkulling naggins in the park, far from wine he was reared!

Take the biggest 6L bottle there, multiply by 11 - that's what Chris thinks a standard bottle of wine looks like.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Take the biggest 6L bottle there, multiply by 11 - that's what Chris thinks a standard bottle of wine looks like.

Heh, I actually misread your post and thought it was 700 litres, and I just assumed you were making fun of him because that's less than 700 70CL bottles. :pac:

I need to stop using Boards when I'm sleepy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I like the Chris-Ciaran partnership I have to say. Ciaran Cuddihy(sp?) has really come a long way IMO, I could see myself very easily listening to them every morning if Ivan were to take over the Hooky Monster's slot.

I don't think there's enough contrast myself. Nothing against CC at all.

But then again, now that Ivan The Loudmouth is back he's giving me a pain with his know-all pontificating about how a government should form. I actually switched off TBS this morning on account of his egotistic ranting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

It's good to have Ivan Yates back. He really is the one who keeps the show on the road. I couldnt listen to the two Chris O'Donoghues for the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a surprise. Although it's understandable the two want to get away from it all given the troubles they've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Ah feck. :( I enjoy Ivan and his non-PC comments. How is he travelling? Thought he couldn't do flights and wasn't much better on boats!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I hope nothing is wrong. Seems a bit sudden and drastic.

Not until July so still has a few months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Wonder what Newstalk will do losing breakfast and drive time hosts in the space of 3 months with Hook gone in September...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

So Ivan is leaving again permanently, at the end of June. To take time off and travel with his wife.

Big loss to the show and to Newstalk. When he is on air it's a welcome alternative to Morning Ireland. Without him I don't think it ever sounds nearly as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Irish Times is claiming it is because of his ongoing Bank Problems

Broadcaster and former minister Ivan Yates is resigning from his media commitments and leaving Ireland for Wales for a second time. The move is understood to be prompted by his family’s legal battle with AIB.
    Mr Yates will depart his role as co-presenter of Newstalk Breakfast on July 1st. He will also step down as host of TV3’s Sunday AM and stop writing a column for the Irish Independent when he relocates with his wife to Wales, it is understood.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/ivan-yates-to-shelve-media-work-and-depart-for-wales-1.2600862

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ivan is the only bearable thing about my morning commute. I do like the sunrising too but now that its coming up to summer, it has already risen before I have left the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Another bankruptcy holiday is it? At least this time he'll have company and won't be sitting in his cold Welsh bedsit alone crying into his can of Dutchgold. Wounder will his benefactor give his job back again when this holiday is over?

• Site Banned Posts: 61 ✭✭Squire Ladd

Why can't him and the missus pay their debts off like the rest of us????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I'm not buying the "year travelling" bit, I will miss him though. The prospect of going back to Morning Ireland is grim and I just couldn't hack Chris with someone else.

Huge blow for Newstalk, losing Yates and Hook at the same time.

It's his wife that's involved with the current court case though isn't it, nothing directly to do with him. And if is for bankruptcy purposes surely it's a heads up to their creditors who can go to the courts and seek immediate action on the basis their debtor's intend on fleeing the state?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That's so disappointing I really enjoy listening to him, he's a breathe of fresh air in the mornings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

So who's going to start a 'Bring back Nora Casey' campaign? Herself and Chris Donoghue, the dream team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That's the end of the ratings rise of the breakfast show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Rat leaving the sinking ship perhaps?

Anyway, the ubiquitous Shane Coleman can fill in for him - he seems to be fronting every other show on Newstalk these days. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Rat leaving the sinking ship perhaps?

Anyway, the ubiquitous Shane Coleman can fill in for him - he seems to be fronting every other show on Newstalk these days. :rolleyes:

I think ratings would beg to differ with your "sinking ship" comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ivan Yates will be a hard act to follow because of his strong personality. He is particularly good on politics, but so is Shane Coleman. I must be the only person who likes Shane on the radio, judging by all the comments made about him on this forum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement