Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The Music

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ally Dick wrote: »
    One of the most overrated bands ever is Arcade Fire. What's that all about ? Every song more than similar, and a lead singer who sings identically to David Byrne !

Too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Half Man Half Biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Dire Straits. Seriously. Their first three albums are amazing, just straightforward Springsteen-esque rock with touches of JJ Cale. "Tunnel Of Love" from Making Movies is one of the most amazing songs of the 80's. "Telegraph Road", "Private Investigations", "Once Upon A Time In The West", "Lions", "Down To The Waterline", "Follow Me Home"... and we haven't even gone near Brothers In Arms.

I know when people think of Dire Straits they think of headbands, jacket sleeves rolled up, and "Money For Nothing". But check out the earlier stuff, much funkier:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Half Man Half Biscuit

This really should be on the Leaving Cert English Curricilum

When The Evening Sun Goes Down
    I shout all my obscenities from steeples
    But please don’t label me a madman
    I’m off to see the Bootleg Beatles
    As the bootleg Mark Chapman
    Cafe bars, idiots and pigeons
    There’s far too many in this town
    So me and the Ombudsman are gonna do what we can
    When the evening sun goes down
    Yes some of my pullovers are roll-necked
    It kind of breaks up the ennui
    But your experimental side project
    Must have put 10 years on me
    Opposite the Bannister and Shamrock
    Which used to be the Rose and Crown
    I like to play Pat Boone on the county bassoon
    (Get on down)
    When the evening sun
    When the evening sun
    When the evening sun
    When the evening sun
    There are questions in corners of my mind that lurk
    Like how do the road gritters get to work
    Answer me that and you could win a cruise
    And here’s Judie Tzuke to take us up to the news
    Are these myultimate pyjamas?
    Is this my final dressing gown?
    I’m sending on this rhyme deep in injury time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

jobless wrote: »
    I love this band..... had the pleasure of seeing them at electric picnic

I thought Future Islands were very ordinary at the Electric Picnic, although I'm not into them. I waited until the crowd got their thrill watching the singer doing his crab dance (or whatever it is) and then left.

Now, Laibach is an underrated band!

Dire Straits. Seriously.

That would be the Dire Straits that have sold over 100 million albums making them one of the biggest selling acts of all time? The Dire Straits who were in the mid 80s the biggest band in the world?

I'm struggling to see the "underrated" bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

That would be the Dire Straits that have sold over 100 million albums making them one of the biggest selling acts of all time? The Dire Straits who were in the mid 80s the biggest band in the world?

Doesn't seem like many people get what the word means.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Zombies are the most underrated band. Odessy and Oracle is one of the best albums ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Zombies are the most underrated band. Odessy and Oracle is one of the best albums ever.

Yeah it's a classic alright. Always liked this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Supergrass.

Always felt they never got the plaudits they deserved.

Absoloutely smashing band

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brand New (not exactly new anymore)

The Beat

The Minutes

3 off the top of my head. All excellent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    Aslan and Walking on cars.

Aslan are one of the most overrated bands ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I recently saw The Minutes play to a crowd of 27 people and they rocked like they were headlining Slane.

Criminally underrated when you compare them to some of the stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

What about the 6.9 billion who haven't a dire straits album...that's what they mean by under rated. It's all relative

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Gaslight Anthem

tigerboon wrote: »
    What about the 6.9 billion who haven't a dire straits album...that's what they mean by under rated. It's all relative

If they avoided songs like Sultans of Swing and Walk of Life, I envy them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I recently saw The Minutes play to a crowd of 27 people and they rocked like they were headlining Slane.

Criminally underrated when you compare them to some of the stuff out there.

Good call, they're a great great band. The last time I caught them was in a packed DeBarra's, they tore the place a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Primordial

Evile

Be'lakor (new enough band, they should be bigger than they are, 2nd and 3rd albums are brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

WEEN

Whenever that old chestnut of who, indeed, is the most underrated band ever comes up in conversation, there's only one band that I can mention, every single time. In nearly twenty years of being a music fan there is no-one I would -or even could- consider even coming close in terms of being as criminally underrated and under appreciated as Ween. The ratio of the level their talent, uniqueness and pure sheer ballsiness, versus their level of fame and renown: well, it simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It's been a while since I used to rely on the word of All-Music to turn me onto new sounds, but I still think their opening introductory sentences about the band are as fairly solid an encapsulation of Weens appeal as you can find:
    Ween was the ultimate cosmic goof of the Alternative Rock Era, a prodigiously talented and deliriously odd duo who work traveled far beyond the constraints of parody and novelty and into the heart of surrealistic ecstasy...

Yup: more or less hit the nail on the head there: Absurd talent mixed with wild-wild, has-to-be-heard-to-be-believed eclecticism and genius song-writing skills; Impeccable musicianship juxtaposed with a healthy dose of the bizarre, but not without having in their locker the ability to write emotionally devastating and genuinely resonant music.

Take their song Dr. Rock, for example... Now, what should a song called "Doctor Rock" be all about? Should it be comedy number poking fun at the absurdity of rock n'roll? Or could it be about some literal Doctor of Rock? Who knows: all I know it sounds exactly like what a song called Doctor Rock should sound like; absurd, over driven - it rocks like a beast. That's there that "surrealistic ecstasy" at work...

It also happens that the song is funny, which is something you get a lot in their music. Now this can be a problem for a lot of people when it comes to taking them seriously.; Ween are often dismissed as a straight-up novelty act. Are they?... Not a chance. People get confused sometimes about what's funny and what's a joke. There's no denying that they're odd. I'm not going to pretend that they're not probably too odd, whacky and un-PC for some people, but that, for me, is part of their brilliance: No matter how crazy the subject matter or approach, their strong grasp of songwriting craft and flat-out genius for melody usually leaves the weirdest of their weirdest tunes eventually sounding like an old friend, if you give it enough time. The music rewards repeat listening more than any other band I know of - You just can't deny it after a while. Ween have given me more aural satisfaction down through the years than any other band... Under...under... underrated.

And for all the songs about diseases, demons and dissing, they have a lot of beautiful love songs too. In fact, they’ve got just about a bit of everything

• Advertisement

* sigh * Underrated has nothing to do with popularity. Underrated means they aren't critically acclaimed, or at least, they aren't held in high regard by critics, or most music fans.

Dire Straits are one of these bands.

The Zombies on the other hand, aren't underrated, as Odessey and Oracle is considered to be a classic album. So they are, in fact, "rated". It's in the "1001 albums to hear before you die" book. Q placed it in one of their "best albums ever" list. But you won't get a Dire Straits album in most of those lists.

* sigh * Underrated has nothing to do with popularity. Underrated means they aren't critically acclaimed, or at least, they aren't held in high regard by critics, or most music fans.

Not sure I buy that, that underrating refers solely to music critics as opposed to the masses. Why so...limited?

I would have thought of the hundred million selling artists, by your logic Backstreet Boys or Bon Jovi are far more underrated than Dire Straits.

Not sure I buy that, that underrating refers solely to music critics as opposed to the masses. Why so...limited?

I would have thought of the hundred million selling artists, by your logic Backstreet Boys or Bon Jovi are far more underrated than Dire Straits.

My logic? What are you talking about? Do you know what "underrated" means in the context of what we're talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

My logic? What are you talking about? Do you know what "underrated" means in the context of what we're talking about here?

I think it means that people in general underrate them. You say it's just critics. And yes, that is your logic.

I say one of the biggest bands ever with in excess of 100 million sales is not underrated. You say they are because although they were huge, they were not critically acclaimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Rival Schools,
    Cocteau Twins
    Shins
    Von Bondies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bell x one

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think it means that people in general underrate them. You say it's just critics. And yes, that is your logic.

I say one of the biggest bands ever with in excess of 100 million sales is not underrated. You say they are because although they were huge, they were not critically acclaimed.

Yes and if that's "my logic", then it's true. And that's pretty much what this whole thing means.

"Bands who should've been more well known" is a different topic, and you'd have the likes of Big Star in there. But even though no one bought Big Star albums when they were released, they were hugely acclaimed, by critics and music lovers, so you couldn't say they are "underrated".

Dire Straits on the other hand, while having sold a truck load of albums, would not be acclaimed in this manner. The average music lover will not confess to liking Dire Straits. Jamiroquai is the same. Jamiroquai are actually very underrated, even though they've sold a massive amount of records.

Sales has nothing to do with it. By "your" logic, One Direction would be one of the highest rated bands of all time. But they aren't.

• Advertisement

By "your" logic, One Direction would be one of the highest rated bands of all time. But they aren't.

No, you completely misunderstand the words.

By my logic, One Direction are "overrated". By who? By hundreds of millions who buy their stuff.

By your logic, a fan could argue they are "underrated"...because the critics don't like them as much as that fan.

Advertisement