Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

it is a hipster thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Husker Du.

Still am amazed by the roller coaster Zen Arcade with ear phones and cranked up loud.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTjfl0yhyRk

Amazing album.. some angry loud tracks on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Soundgarden:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

alt-j. Savage music! Great live! Sold out the O2 a few weeks ago. Not saying they're the best band in history but they're a personal favourite of mine and most don't know a single song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

"BOHtox wrote: »
    Sold out the O2 a few weeks ago

J Mysterio wrote: »

You can sell out a relatively small venue and still be considered under-rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I think Suede are somewhat under-rated, even allowing for them getting vast critical acclaim in early years and their albums selling in reasonable quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

BOHtox wrote: »
    alt-j. Savage music! Great live! Sold out the O2 a few weeks ago. Not saying they're the best band in history but they're a personal favourite of mine and most don't know a single song.

Read the thread title again ALT-J are a massive current band

Read the thread title again ALT-J are a massive current band

Really? About 4 or 5 of my mates are fans and the rest haven't heard of them. Even making small talk with work or college colleges about what I'm listening to at the moment it's met with "Never heard of them" or "Oh yeah I think I might have heard of them".

You can still be known to few and unknown, and therefore underrated, to many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

retalivity wrote: »
    The Knife
    Andrew WK
    Robyn (some great cheesy as fcuk pop)

pop is not normally my cup of tea but Robyn is amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

A house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

fleetwood mac

while not the beatles , the smiths or bowie

they were unfortunate in that they were at their peak around the time that punk exploded so immedietly go labelled as super NAFF

Ah yes, sold over a 100,000,000 albums. But must be underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Someone somewhere once said something else was somehow better than them in some way, so they must be underrated!

What's actually scary is that I've heard this kind of argument be presented as a justification for calling the Beatles "underrated" before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Codeine are really underrated, not even on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Doves. Came out around the same time as Coldplay. The sh!te band became massive. Doves made some brilliant albums and were class live.

Also another shout for Supergrass. Ridiculously talented band. In it for the Money is one of THE albums of the 90's IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Reuben :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Some strange shouts here, a lot of these bands were and in some cases are still huge. These definitely are not, but could have been -

I friggin loved the show 120 minutes on MTV 2 a few years ago. Stayed up til all hours listening to the music on the telly, good times. Most of favourite songs even today came from that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Jilted John - punk/new wave

John Shuttleworth - alt-pop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Reuben :)

Do you mean this Reuben?

If so, then I agree :)

The band has split up since then but the lead singer has gone solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

BOHtox wrote: »
    Really? About 4 or 5 of my mates are fans and the rest haven't heard of them. Even making small talk with work or college colleges about what I'm listening to at the moment it's met with "Never heard of them" or "Oh yeah I think I might have heard of them".

You can still be known to few and unknown, and therefore underrated, to many

Matilda was on heavy repeat on Phantom/TXFM for about a year, Tesselate was played to death, the album won the Mercury Music prize and they were nominated at the Brit awards for best group, but your mates have never heard of them so they must be underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

Santana. They've sold about a hundred million records, are in the rock and roll hall of fame, so are obviously not underrated in the same way that a band like Television are, but in my opinion they deserve to be in the discussion when people are discussing the greatest bands and musicians of all time. I'd have them right up there with bands like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, etc.

For a smaller band - The Super Furry Animals. When I think of the bands who were massive at the same time as these guys were going strong I just cringe. For about 15 years these guys were consistently producing top class albums, but never got the sales or critical acclaim they deserved. Not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Suicide are very overlooked too. Probably the best punk band who didn't use guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There are so many bands that don't get the recognition they deserve:

Camera Obscura:

Wild Nothing:

The whole album 'Nocturne' is pretty amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Le Gipsy Jukebox

Matilda was on heavy repeat on Phantom/TXFM for about a year, Tesselate was played to death, the album won the Mercury Music prize and they were nominated at the Brit awards for best group, but your mates have never heard of them so they must be underrated

There's underrated and there's unknown. I'm not saying they're totally unknown I'm saying they're underrated. I said I really enjoyed their music and that the vast majority of people I talk to my age, and anyone the generation older than me have never heard of them. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Jilted John - punk/new wave

Can't believe that you failed to mention his classic "Europigeon" collaboration which amongst others included Katrina Leskanich, (Katrina and the Waves) Lynsey de Paul, Johnny Logan, Clodagh Rogers, Bruce Welsh (Shadows), and all of Brotherhood of Man.

Underrated? I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

C.W. Stoneking

Advertisement