Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

:eek: 19 pages and no mention of these legends......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Foals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

The Deftones

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Has to be Ween. Super talented bunch of lads. Never really made the big time - possibly due to poor record labels and choices for singles or possibly due to their refusal to settle into one particular style. Their songs have made me laugh and cry sometimes both at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The Cure

Brilliant live band, seriously guitar sound, fantastic lyrics.

• Advertisement

Diemos wrote: »
    The Deftones

The Deftones that have sold 10 million albums and whose members have made tens of millions?

Underrated?

boobar wrote: »
    The Cure

Brilliant live band, seriously guitar sound, fantastic lyrics.

The Cure, with almost 30 million album sales?

How is a band that have had album after album in the top 10 over 2 or 3 decades underrated? They are by any stretch HUGE. Personally I think a vastly vastly overrated band, a pop band with some pudgy singer with hair spray who did pretend goth to foist their silly dirge like Lovecats on the goth masses in the 80s. Now if you went for other goth outfits like the Sisters of Mercy I'd understand, but not the biggest most popular hugest one ever that was like in MTV 24/7 in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The Cure, with almost 30 million album sales?

How is a band that have had album after album in the top 10 over 2 or 3 decades underrated? They are by any stretch HUGE. Personally I think a vastly vastly overrated band, a pop band with some pudgy singer with hair spray who did pretend goth to foist their silly dirge like Lovecats on the goth masses in the 80s. Now if you went for other goth outfits like the Sisters of Mercy I'd understand, but not the biggest most popular hugest one ever that was like in MTV 24/7 in the early 90s.

I think you underrate them slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    Has to be Ween. Super talented bunch of lads. Never really made the big time - possibly due to poor record labels and choices for singles or possibly due to their refusal to settle into one particular style. Their songs have made me laugh and cry sometimes both at once.

Never heard of these guys before, but I'm intrigued about them now.
    Thanks for posting that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

An Emotional Fish

Junk Puppets was one of my all time favourite Irish albums of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

An Emotional Fish

Junk Puppets was one of my all time favourite Irish albums of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Future Islands. Saw them for the first time on Jools Hollands hootenanny show on New Year's Eve.

Now that's what I call a front man. Whatever the lead singer is on I want my name put down for a tonne of that.

Other bands now just pale into insignificance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Has to be these guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

timthumbni wrote: »
    Future Islands. Saw them for the first time on Jools Hollands hootenanny show on New Year's Eve.

Now that's what I call a front man. Whatever the lead singer is on I want my name put down for a tonne of that.

Def...however I thought the sound on Jools Holland was dreadful....not the bands fault. For me, their appearance on Letterman was one of the best performances of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Feels more like a which bands have become less popular than they used to be thread

.....going back a few years, 1998 and definitely underrated. Still going probably, now and again.

Leatherface. "Not Superstitious".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I love this band..... had the pleasure of seeing them at electric picnic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

The Prayer Boat
    Pony Club

These Irish bands had something once upon a time but failed to catch a huge audience. I have a pleased indifference about this all the same.

Posted on Sound Cloud 12 days ago, with 417 views.

"The 202's". Oh My My.

https://soundcloud.com/202s/oh-my-my

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Evanescence as most people only are aware of the few songs that were in the pop charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Evanescence are a watered-down version of The Gathering aimed at teenage girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Aslan and Walking on cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Menomena.

First three albums were brilliant.

Yeah I saw that too. Spent the whole performance staring at it going "Oh dear god - what is that man doing" then when he did the growl thing I thought "Oh god its getting worse".

Then when it was over I realised I had really enjoyed it - even though I had not noticed enjoying it while it was actually happening.

Checked out their website. Appear to have no tour dates listed. Rather they have an old still .txt file of shows they did in the past.

And judging by their Facebook page they did an unscheduled "All Bowie" night in some pub local to them. Have yet to see anyone upload you tube footage of that though. I bet it would be a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Sadly now on hiatus but I love a band called 'Red Molly'. I found them on youtube and amazingly a short while later they came and played in Athboy so I popped along and thought it was a brilliant show. Americana is the genre I suppose but they seem to do a little bit of every area - bar thrash metal perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah I saw that too. Spent the whole performance staring at it going "Oh dear god - what is that man doing" then when he did the growl thing I thought "Oh god its getting worse".

Then when it was over I realised I had really enjoyed it - even though I had not noticed enjoying it while it was actually happening.

Checked out their website. Appear to have no tour dates listed. Rather they have an old still .txt file of shows they did in the past.

And judging by their Facebook page they did an unscheduled "All Bowie" night in some pub local to them. Have yet to see anyone upload you tube footage of that though. I bet it would be a sight.

They played Vicar St. at the end of 2014 - phenomenal show apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Wedding Present.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

One of the most overrated bands ever is Arcade Fire. What's that all about ? Every song more than similar, and a lead singer who sings identically to David Byrne !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Lungfish:

This band seemed to bypass the mainstream press altogether. Found them by chance on Spotify and I've since heard every album of theirs.

Advertisement