Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

BOHtox wrote: »
    There's underrated and there's unknown. I'm not saying they're totally unknown I'm saying they're underrated. I said I really enjoyed their music and that the vast majority of people I talk to my age, and anyone the generation older than me have never heard of them. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I don't want to get into an argument about it, but if a band is massively popular and critically acclaimed they aren't underrated. I don't know how old you are, but anyone I know who is into indie/alternative has heard at them.

I'm not really trying to single you out, there's been plenty of ridiculous choices in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Haven't read the thread, so maybe they've already been mentioned, but:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My Bloody Valentine.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Ween.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭paulbok

The Wonderstuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I don't want to get into an argument about it, but if a band is massively popular and critically acclaimed they aren't underrated. I don't know how old you are, but anyone I know who is into indie/alternative has heard at them.

Right we'll I'll reply to this and then we'll leave it.
    I guess underrated is a matter of opinion. Of course you and I and people who are into the indie scene will more than likely have heard of them. I'm not disputing that fact. I know them from the first song of their first album to the last song of their last album. I think there's conformity here anyway.

Where we differ is simply in our definition of under-rated. I happen to think their unique style of music and particularly the singles off both their albums are good enough to be recognised and appreciated by your average Joe Soap.

I'm not really trying to single you out, there's been plenty of ridiculous choices in this thread.

:D Oh no you di'in't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ozric Tentacles used to be fairly popular amongst students when I was at college...especially when certain substances were partaken of. I don't think they ever had much popularity outside that demographic despite putting out some great music

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm goin to follow the general drift of this thread and say Led Zepplin and The Beatles :D
    I actually would think the beatles are underrated these days. Since these days its actually more common for me to hear people say they are overrated and call them mediocre, than somebody saying they are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

Two Door Cinema Club!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Two Door Cinema Club!

Now you're taking the p!ss.

Think Joe from TXfm must have seen this thread. Hi Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardom

I always thought the Prayer Boat deserved a bit more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardom

I was also surprised that Annie didn't make a big breakthrough with La Roux, Goldfrapp, Little Boots and others doing well in the genre. She suffered from having the most unsearchable, generic name possible for search engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Sleaford Mods

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My Morning Jacket

http://youtu.be/Bpdwwa7lsUI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Elastica.

crockholm wrote: »
    Alice In Chains. They were big in the 90s,but much less appreciated than Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

My BF fookin' loves them!

• Advertisement

Karpackie wrote: »
    The answer is always Creedence Clearwater Revival.

YES!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

The Hanover Band.

Maybe not really underrated as such, but certainly not as widely knows as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Sufjan stevens - consistently brilliant albums for the last 15 yrs and many only know him for the radio friendly 'chicago' and not much else.

Doves. Came out around the same time as Coldplay. The sh!te band became massive. Doves made some brilliant albums and were class live.

I so agree, <3 Doves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Bacchus wrote: »
    They have a loyal following, particularly in the US but I'm amazed that The National are not huge here! So many people just have no idea who they are and they are fantastic.

I love The National but they're no longer underrated. They played a near sold-out o2 here last November, they played 2 sold out shows in July in the Iveagh Gardens and their latest album topped the charts here (and other countries) as well as being nominated for a Grammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Doves. Came out around the same time as Coldplay. The sh!te band became massive. Doves made some brilliant albums and were class live.

Also another shout for Supergrass. Ridiculously talented band. In it for the Money is one of THE albums of the 90's IMO.

Was just going to say Doves until I saw this :)

Fans of Fifa will recognize one of their tracks, great song!

Crash Test Dummies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Sparks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

If you're an American Dad fan there's a great episode where Stan becomes obsessed with them, ends up devoting his life to following them on tour!

Advertisement