Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Piliger wrote: »
    Either the ball goes forward according to the geometry of the pitch .... or it doesn't. I think we need to get back to that simple principle !

It never was that principal. Because it woudnt work.
    It was backwards relative to the motion of the player passing. Hands angle are a sometimes, but only sometimes, guide to relative motion of the ball. But is not the decisive point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

We could do so, but there would be a massive increase in the amount of forward passes in a game. Unless you want players to come to a stand-still before they are allowed to pass the ball, looking at the direction of the players hands remains the easiest way to account for the effect a player's momentum has on the flight of the ball.
    It never was that principal. Because it woudnt work.
    It was backwards relative to the motion of the player passing. Hands angle are a sometimes, but only sometimes, guide to relative motion of the ball. But is not the decisive point.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nah, that was never the history of the game. One the pass went backwards it was fine, it didn't have anything to do with the geometry of the pitch. That only became an issue with the advent of tv replays and slo mo.

No The ball always had to go backward from the point at which it was thrown, and backwards was always interpreted as behind the parallel of the end lines. No need to stop or pause, it was always only about the point of release compared with the point of receipt. That has always been the principle behind the forward pass rule for eons. It is and has always been an easy measure especially with the advent of video.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No The ball always had to go backward from the point at which it was thrown, and backwards was always interpreted as behind the parallel of the end lines. No need to stop or pause, it was always only about the point of release compared with the point of receipt. That has always been the principle behind the forward pass rule for eons. It is and has always been an easy measure especially with the advent of video.
    Here is why your definition of a forward pass in untenable in todays game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Then every pass when a player is running is a forward pass.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,296 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No. What your describing was how analysists first checked passed in that era between recording and irb clarification. This was an incorrect interpretation by studo pundits.

Logic stats that if two players are running at the same speed but one is 2 meters ahead of the other. .. any pass from the first to the second must be backward.
    However, a s show above, the ball can actually move forward even when it's throw backwards.

Look back on the famous baabaas edwards try versus new Zealand and count the number of 'your' passes which would be forward.

What you are describing is not the history, but just an amateur interpretation of an amateur game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but no amount of mental gymnastics or diagrams will ever convince me that pass shouldn't have been called forward.There's passes that look forward but aren't, I get that. Phipps' pass was just forward, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

It's actually very basic physics; every single one of us is taught it in school.

I remember a simple diagram in school of a plane flying over a field dropping a parcel and you had to guess where the parcel would land.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

I see a headline on the Examiner that the IRFU might bill Australia for damage to the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

phog wrote: »
    I see a headline on the Examiner that the IRFU might bill Australia for damage to the dressing room.

You stay classy Australia...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Here is why your definition of a forward pass in untenable in todays game.

The correct definition should be if the ball is thrown ahead of the person passing it. Then it doesn't matter if they are running or standing. The measure is relative to the thrower, not anything else.

But by any definition, Phipps pass on Saturday was forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You've got to love the list of stories in the Examiner. There's an article from Birch with the title of "Players believe they can be greatest ever" followed immediately by another titled "Sexton: We’ll remain grounded". The next article? "Next job: Putting a lid on soaring expectations".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Can you give us a link to the article please? Went to the Examiner site and couldn't find it :( Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Can you give us a link to the article please? Went to the Examiner site and couldn't find it :( Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

It was a tweet with a photo of their front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭jacothelad

http://http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irfu-may-bill-wallabies-over-dressing-room-damage-299588.html
    Yeah_Right wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The real story here is that the doors in the aviva cost 8000 EURO. What the hell did we make the doors out of.

I think we got off lightly though. Last time Michael Cheika lost a match in Landsdowne road we had the rebuild the whole stadium a few months later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

errlloyd wrote: »
    The real story here is that the doors in the aviva cost 8000 EURO. What the hell did we make the doors out of.

My first reaction there was "a concert can't possibly by that expensive".

I don't even like The Doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

LEm93qO.jpg

That offload

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

God the effort to absolve Zebo of any blame for any mistake is really annoying.

• Advertisement

Putinovsky wrote: »

Especially from someone like Sexton, what would he know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Putinovsky wrote: »

There's two sides making this such an issue though, trying to absolve Zebo of everything and put it all on others and trying to criticise Zebo for every little thing.

Fact it is was a player trying to create something that didn't work out. Perhaps it was a wrong decision but "blame" shouldn't really come into it. It was neither right nor wrong really, just one of those things that didn't come off and if Mr Zebo wasn't at the centre of it people on both sides probably wouldn't give two shítes about what was said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He was absolutely right to try it. Sexton was alert to it and knew he was going to try it, so he made himself available for it. The only thing Zebo didn't do right was watch Foley - Foley did well to commit himself to Zebo (maybe he did his homework?) but Zebo should've seen the extended arm and cancelled. But as Sexton says it's better he tried it then not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Are we really starting this again? Really? Hasn't it been flogged to death a couple of times already. We won. Let's all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

That offload

It's just typical Zebo, wanting to take all the credit from Henshaw because he was going to get praise for taking that Garryowen. What an a**

;)

I really resent the idea that this is only a talking point because Zebo was involved. This mistake directly resulted in a try. That's why its a talking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

20121214230607!No_one_cares.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I really resent the idea that this is only a talking point because Zebo was involved. This mistake directly resulted in a try. That's why its a talking point.

Then lets talk about the tag rugby style tackles that went in after that pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Then lets talk about the tag rugby style tackles that went in after that pass :)

They were rubbish. Anyone disagree?

There, settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The brilliant Australian try also featured a behind the back pass. Was that a mistake or rash? It takes a lot to unlock defenses. I don't blame Zebo for giving it a go.

The poor tackling (I include Kearney standing off) was the cause of the try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement