Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

must every rugby thread turn into a zebu thread I'm nearly afraid to look at the super rugby thread at this stage :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any extended highlights around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

nerd69 wrote: »
    must every rugby thread turn into a zebu thread I'm nearly afraid to look at the super rugby thread at this stage :mad:

Damn zebus!

440px-Bos_taurus_indicus.jpg

Damn zebus!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That Kearney drop goal attempt opens up something else for defences to worry about. I remember Warwick doing something similar years ago. How many of those ultra long ones has Rob put through the posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wait now...what should Sexton have done here as he was the one at fault.

1. Called too early for the pass
    2. Shouldn't have called for the pass
    3. Wasn't in position to receive the off load
    4. Over ran and made it too difficult for Zebo
    5. Held back the run "just incase Zebo made a balls of the pass and Phipps took it"
    6. Should have been watching the ball better
    7. Should have been watching the opposition better
    8. Should have ran a better line for Zebo

Just a bit confused as to what Sexton did wrong in the split second of the game to allow Zebo's pass not to stick.

Maybe Joe should drop Sexton to teach him a lesson about when to shout and when not to shout on the pitch.

I'm not out pointing the finger at either Zebo or Sexton. Stuff happens. Its what happens in the intermediate aftermath of the incident is what defines them and there are 3 people there who made a complete bags of the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Damn zebus!

IT'S ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU THE HUMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Haven't got to look back yet but for Australias third try i think it was, Speight appeared to breeze past someone incredibly easy before flicking the ball back inside behind his back. Anyone know who it was or if im remembering things that werent there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Haven't got to look back yet but for Australias third try i think it was, Speight appeared to breeze past someone incredibly easy before flicking the ball back inside behind his back. Anyone know who it was or if im remembering things that werent there!

That was Kearney, was the most disappointing part from the game for me. It really was a shocking attempt at a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ardillaun wrote: »
    That Kearney drop goal attempt opens up something else for defences to worry about. I remember Warwick doing something similar years ago. How many of those ultra long ones has Rob put through the posts?

The most famous is the one against Leicester in the Heineken Cup Final 2009 in Edinburgh. I was there, I actually nearly had a stroke I'd say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The most famous is the one against Leicester in the Heineken Cup Final 2009 in Edinburgh. I was there, I actually nearly had a stroke I'd say...

That was sexton wasn't it? Kearney hit a peach of one against Clermont in 2012

http://youtu.be/YrcE46eMK0g

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

durkadurka wrote: »
    That was sexton wasn't it? Kearney hit a peach of one against Clermont in 2012

Was indeed Sexton.

The one against Aus though yesterday... it wasn't a drop kick. He obviously mistimed it but he punted the ball, it never touched the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Was indeed Sexton.

The one against Aus though yesterday... it wasn't a drop kick. He obviously mistimed it but he punted the ball, it never touched the ground.

Don't suppose you have any video evidence? I've looked at the replay which focuses on his foot a couple of times now and it cuts away just as he hits it so you can't be sure but given the trajectory of the kick I'd be astonished if it didn't hit the ground. I just can't see how you could get the ball to move that way. I'm pretty convinced that he hit the ball at the same time as it hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clearlier wrote: »
    Don't suppose you have any video evidence? I've looked at the replay which focuses on his foot a couple of times now and it cuts away just as he hits it so you can't be sure but given the trajectory of the kick I'd be astonished if it didn't hit the ground. I just can't see how you could get the ball to move that way. I'm pretty convinced that he hit the ball at the same time as it hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The Aviva is weird. You could here a pin drop for most the game.

Really? I thought the atmosphere was great myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Clearlier wrote: »

Good spot.

Worth the punt, I guess... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

.ak wrote: »
    Really? I thought the atmosphere was great myself.

Agreed. The atmosphere was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

These threads would go a lot easier if the rabid pro-Zebo supporters could just accept that Zebo can occasionally make mistakes.

Nearly 20 pages of the usual suspects trying to blame every other player for any criticisms of Zebo is mind numbing. Trying to blame Sexton for that offload is the icing on the cake. This would be a non issue if certain posters could just accept that it was a mistake on Zebo's part and move on. But no, it's everyone's fault but Zebos.

So about beating Australia??

Putinovsky wrote: »
    These threads would go a lot easier if the rabid pro-Zebo supporters could just accept that Zebo can occasionally make mistakes.

Nearly 20 pages of the usual suspects trying to blame every other player for any criticisms of Zebo is mind numbing. Trying to blame Sexton for that offload is the icing on the cake. This would be a non issue if certain posters could just accept that it was a mistake on Zebo's part and move on. But no, it's everyone's fault but Zebos.

So about beating Australia??

*sigh* the old I'm going to bring the conversation that has been going on back up and then pretend I'm not by adding a line at the end :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes, we've had quite enough about that pass. Agree to disagree. Let's move on folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Watched it again on a hd TV. I'm convinced it bounced first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Interesting that POM had by far the highest tackle count of any Irish player. Generally for Ireland & Munster, he has lower tackle counts than some of the other players as he is often a support tackler or on hand to jackal at the breakdown, or carrying. I thought that would continue with Ruddock in there, who is a defensive machine, as well as Heaslip but 17 tackles made is phenomenally good. Ruddock next highest with 12.

Just an interesting thing to note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Interesting that POM had by far the highest tackle count of any Irish player. Generally for Ireland & Munster, he has lower tackle counts than some of the other players as he is often a support tackler or on hand to jackal at the breakdown, or carrying. I thought that would continue with Ruddock in there, who is a defensive machine, as well as Heaslip but 17 tackles made is phenomenally good. Ruddock next highest with 12.

Just an interesting thing to note.

How many did this fella have ?

EagerCanineHorseshoecrab.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Speight really is class. Looks a cut above their other wingers which is saying something as they have serious talent there.

That was an amazing passage of play by Speight. Dropped 3 guys, 2 of them forwards whilst keeping his feet the entire time and then competing for the ball. One of the most impressive pieces of play I've seen

Was it just me or was the ref somewhat lenient? I saw a few things from the stands that could have warranted a yellow card. A few tackles in the air, taking out a player off the ball and a deliberate knock on.

definitely thought that Folau should've been binned for a deliberate knock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

shuffol wrote: »
    definitely thought that Folau should've been binned for a deliberate knock on.

If you looked at the slow mo he tried to grab it - albeit one handed. Was actually good call by ref for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

How many did this fella have ?

According to ESPN, you're looking at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Was it just me or was the ref somewhat lenient? I saw a few things from the stands that could have warranted a yellow card. A few tackles in the air, taking out a player off the ball and a deliberate knock on.
    He was loose, imprecise and in my view not up to the standard we normal expect. But I guess they have to be given big matches to learn and I hope he does. In my view also his southern hemisphere interpretation gave Australia an advantage in a number of incidents that Owens for example would never have allowed happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement