Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamp removed

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

degsie wrote: »
    Why is everyone adamant that this is truly the case? If there was a parking ticket clearly displayed, why was the car clamped? Did the op take a photo of the ticket on the dash to back up the story?

Yes I have proof

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

There may be extenuating circumstances here but it could have been handled very differently. Personally I would have ponied up the €120 and then with clear evidence appealed the fine. I wouldn't go ranting to the clamping company and threaten to remove the clamp by force. Now you are sitting on the possibility of a court appearance and getting your name in the papers.

Sometimes life deals you a sh!tty hand, it's how you deal with it determines how other people view you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Jesus degsie who pissed in your cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

god these clamping guys are truly crap.
    have no experience of them, but in future i'll be taking a few photos of my car/ticket on dash etc when parking in these 'private' car parks.

i'd be p*ssed to come back at 8.30 on a winter's night to find my car clamped after i went to the bother of paying for a ticket.
    the law on these companies is just not done properly. we should have learned from UK. they've been complaining about clamping companies and their trickery for a very long time.

OP, stop worrying if you can. they're really not worth it. no one is a fan of this cowboy cr*p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,456 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There may be extenuating circumstances here but it could have been handled very differently. Personally I would have ponied up the €120 and then with clear evidence appealed the fine. I wouldn't go ranting to the clamping company and threaten to remove the clamp by force. Now you are sitting on the possibility of a court appearance and getting your name in the papers.

Sometimes life deals you a sh!tty hand, it's how you deal with it determines how other people view you.
    Your talking awful rubbush, you really sound as if you work for a clampong company.

There is zero chance of her going to court. Zero chance of having her name in the paper.

I don't know anybody who ever had a successful appeal, it's not a very fair appeal, appealing to the company who wouldn't entertain the thoughts of a mistake. They didn't deny the mistake, they just said tough luck, pay it anyway. I wouldn't hand out 120 euro to a company with so little scruples that they'd clamp a legit parked car. Seems a bit like extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,456 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don't know anybody who ever had a successful appeal, it's not a very fair appeal, appealing to the company who wouldn't entertain the thoughts of a mistake. They didn't deny the mistake, they just said tough luck, pay it anyway. I wouldn't hand out 120 euro to a company with so little scruples that they'd clamp a legit parked car. Seems a bit like extortion.

Also the appeal is to a private company.

I have certain rules when it comes to payments.

If it's a free trial they ain't getting my credit card details.

If I don't want the product/ service they ain't getting my credit card details.

If I did nothing wrong and they want to take money off, they ain't getting my credit card details.

As I stated before a clamp that is cut can be welded back for a cost the is far less than the clamp charge. The clamp could be hold in storage and the clamp company can pay a storage cost to get it back

A sprinkle of reality is sometimes called for. Some people live in a bubble and revel in hi-fiving getting one over on 'the man'
    Real life however is something different.

• Advertisement

What the hell are you on about? Are you seriously telling me if you'd been fined by a PRIVATE company for something you didn't do, you'd pay it? And you're telling me I don't live in real life?

What the hell are you on about? Are you seriously telling me if you'd been fined by a PRIVATE company for something you didn't do, you'd pay it? And you're telling me I don't live in real life?

I would have dealt with it differently and I would not have come to a public forum to discuss it.

Well thank god we aren't all the same then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That sounds very absolute and would be great if it was but unfortunately the phrase "without lawful authority or reasonable cause" in the legislation adds some fuzziness in practice. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0113.html#sec113
    113.—(1) A person shall not, without lawful authority or reasonable cause, interfere or attempt to interfere with the mechanism of a mechanically propelled vehicle while it is stationary in a public place, or get on or into or attempt to get on or into the vehicle while it is so stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You are right, lexie, i have never known an appeal to succeed. Got clamped on campus in Trinity last summer, despite having accommodation and parking permit paid for. Lads manning the entrance hut called the clampers themselves. Just shrugged when I pointed out that I was resident. Will never stay there again. Bought a pair of 30 inch boltcutters and never visit Dublin without them.

Well thank god we aren't all the same then. :)

The world would certainly be a duller place if we were all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Basically you've nothing to worry about - relax. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I'm correct, when parking in a train station car park, you are doing so under bye-laws, so it's NOT like when you park in a shopping centre car park.

You may be in more trouble than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I would have dealt with it differently and I would not have come to a public forum to discuss it.

You'd be out €140 would be the only significant difference.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Victor wrote: »
    If I'm correct, when parking in a train station car park, you are doing so under bye-laws, so it's NOT like when you park in a shopping centre car park.

You may be in more trouble than you think.

Pointed this out on the very first page but everyone seems to have ignored it and jumped on the "cut the thing off" band wagon.

Advertisement