Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamp removed

Options
  • 17-11-2014 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever removed an NCPS clamp and ended up in court. I got clamped in a private carpark (train station). I paid my parking ticket, came back that evening and had a massive clamp on it.

I rang my brother in an absolute state, as I had paid it. Ncps weren't interested in this as they said I had to pay it then I could appeal it. My brother came over and took it off.

I am absolutely sick with worry that he's going to be arrested. Has anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever removed an NCPS clamp and ended up in court. I got clamped in a private carpark (train station). I paid my parking ticket, came back that evening and had a massive clamp on it.

I rang my brother in an absolute state, as I had paid it. Ncps weren't interested in this as they said I had to pay it then I could appeal it. My brother came over and took it off.

I am absolutely sick with worry that he's going to be arrested. Has anyone any experience with this?

Relax you be fine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/limerick-man-fined-for-removing-clamp-from-his-car-1-5183282

Guy in Limerick got fined €150 in court for removing a clamp

Not sure if NCPS have ever taken anyone to court for this though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Tricky, calling the clampers was probably your biggest mistake. You could have claimed that clamp was never there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tricky, calling the clampers was probably your biggest mistake. You could have claimed that clamp was never there.

I called them, told them I'd paid my ticket. She told me that I still had to pay 120 and it would only be removed then, and that I could appeal it if I wanted.
    I was so angry I told her I was going to cut it off, where she told me that the call was being recorded. I told her that I didn't care and hung up on her

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

How did he take it off exactly? While it's not impossible, those clamps aren't *that* easy to take off, either requires a couple of hours work stripping the wheel and associated components, or cutting the clamp/lock.

• Advertisement

A hacksaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I called them, told them I'd paid my ticket. She told me that I still had to pay 120 and it would only be removed then, and that I could appeal it if I wanted.
    I was so angry I told her I was going to cut it off, where she told me that the call was being recorded. I told her that I didn't care and hung up on her

I had the same situation but my Missus had to get to work so I had to pay it. Telling them that you were going to cut it off was not clever. However, it does not prove that you or somebody close to you did do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I got clamped in a private carpark (train station).
    Is the train station a private car park or are NCPS operating on behalf of the council?

If it's on behalf of the council you may have an issue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

A hacksaw

high five!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

ah here the call was recorded, they have everything they need. you'll get fined fairly heavily I'd imagine, if they follow up that is.

• Advertisement

It's private carpark! If it comes down to it I'll say I did it but I'm so worried he'll get into trouble. What's the point in paying tickets when they fine you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

mike_ie wrote: »
    How did he take it off exactly? While it's not impossible, those clamps aren't *that* easy to take off, either requires a couple of hours work stripping the wheel and associated components, or cutting the clamp/lock.

Amateur :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hard to say, it will cost them a lot to pursue and if all they think they will get is a 150 fine from you well they probably wont bother

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

A hacksaw

Ooh, I need to add one to my driving tool kit so :)

Do I send the clamp back to them anonymously

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

A mate at work got clamped recently, rang and paid for the removal of the clamp. Appealed the decision to clamp him, that was turned down and was then offered the appeal process, this will cost him €20. He had a valid ticket on display but it couldn't be read from outside the car.

It looks like a money racket to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

What clamp?...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

Add theft alongside that criminal damage lol!
    They're cowboys alright but you may have just dug the hole a *teenie* bit deeper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

phog wrote: »
    He had a valid ticket on display but it couldn't be read from outside the car.

How are they to know it's valid then?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    What clamp?...

Souvenir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

she already rang and admitted she was cutting it off. the " what clamp" ship has long sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Afaik, you have to be informed in advance of the call commencing that it's being recorded. Nothing up to that point is admissible in court evidence.

When it happened my brother told me to call the guards as they had immobilised my car for no reason. The guard was lovely, said nothing he could do but he was disgusted he told me to go into the train station and argue with them as they were working for them. He said it was criminal damage only if the clamp was damaged, and what they did wasn't illegal as it was a private carpark but said it was really wrong and basically said (but not in so many words) that you gotta do what you gotta do. They couldn't help so
    My brother came over and sorted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

RossieMan wrote: »
    she already rang and admitted she was cutting it off. the " what clamp" ship has long sailed.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RossieMan wrote: »

she didn't cut anything off

Oh lord my head is wrecked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When it happened u brother tolde to call the guards as they had immobilised my car for no reason. The guard was lovely, said nothing he could do but he was disgusted he told me to go into the train station and argue with them as they were working for them. He said it was criminal damage only if the clamp was damaged, and what they did wasn't illegal as it was a private carpark but said it was really wrong and basically said (but not in so many words) that you gotta do what you gotta do. They couldn't help so
    My brother came over and sorted it
    Is the clamp not damaged after taking a hacksaw to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Stheno wrote: »
    Is the clamp not damaged after taking a hacksaw to it?

Someone must have stolen the clamp, before attempting to steal the ops car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Spoils of war just like my necklace of ears* from 'Nam.*

*'Nam may have been Bundoran and *ears may have been sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mickmurphy18

superglue in the lock works a treat . if you are willing to pay to have it removed and they are unable to do so they'll have to cut it off themselves or get a lock smith to open it. either way you get one back on them

Advertisement