Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamp removed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Two things.

1. They are obligated to inform you the call is being recorded at the start of the phone call. You can report that to data protection commission.

2. Do they know your brothers name, address, etc.? Can't do anything if they don't can they?

How did your bro remove the clamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Oh lord my head is wrecked

It's really best not to ask advice on the internet OP. You'll get so many different opinions and most don't actually know what they're talking about or are going on hearsay.

Clamps are cut off all the time.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by sending them back the clamp anonymously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

OP your brother is a champ.

Don't worry in the slightest. Don't give it back, especially damaged. Don't be guilt tripped. They attached a piece of metal to your car as an extortion technique.

Dump it and never communicate with the clamping company again.

By giving back the clamp even anonymously you are inviting trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

they'd be mad to pursue it (I hope you kept your ticket showing you paid for parking?!). Imagine them in front of a judge "Yes your honour, she had paid for parking but we clamped her anyway and told her she had to pay a €120 release fee to gain access to her perfectly legitimately parked car, after which she may then enter an appeals process to get the €120 back if we ourselves deem her to have a case to get the release fee back... And now we would like to sue her for €150 because she removed the clamp".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Oh lord my head is wrecked

relax the cacks, it's not your fault that an unknown person or persons kindly removed that unwanted clamp from your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

They can only use the recording for the purpose stated when they told you the call was being recorded.

If the recorded the call, and did not tell you in advance they were and the purpose of recording the call, then they are in bother if they use the recording.

Contact them and look for a copy of any information / recording that they have on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

BMJD wrote: »
    relax the cacks, it's not your fault that an unknown person or persons kindly removed that unwanted clamp from your car

Precisely. Avoiding communication with NCPS will be the only thing you need to worry about.

dingding wrote: »
    They can only use the recording for the purpose stated when they told you the call was being recorded.

If the recorded the call, and did not tell you in advance they were and the purpose of recording the call, then they are in bother if they use the recording.

Contact them and look for a copy of any information / recording that they have on you.

As far as I am aware, any recorded call can be used as evidence in a court case so long as one of the parties involved in the call is aware that the call is being recorded.

Both people are not required to be informed of it being recorded.

As an aside, I've never rang NCPS but I'd imagine they have an automated "all of our calls are recorded" message at the start of every phone call to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Lol. Court case me hole. Forget about it Lexie. Someone robbed their clamp, shocking how unsecure these car parks are. You were lucky they didn't rob your car as well....ahem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

RossieMan wrote: »
    she already rang and admitted she was cutting it off. the " what clamp" ship has long sailed.

'Somebody' rang. Can they prove it's her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Deenie123 wrote: »
    ... Imagine them in front of a judge "Yes your honour, she had paid for parking but we clamped her anyway ...

Maybe another motorist gave her the ticket off his car just to pretend she had paid...

Don't go with that argument, just do nothing and see what their next move is.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Let us know what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Maybe another motorist gave her the ticket off his car just to pretend she had paid...

Don't go with that argument, just do nothing and see what their next move is.

All I'm saying is that they'd be mad to pursue it if she has proof that she paid and it was their error (plus, she has reported it to the gardai as well so while not proof of her having been in the right, it adds weight to her story).

They would be mad to chase someone down for their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever removed an NCPS clamp and ended up in court. I got clamped in a private carpark (train station). I paid my parking ticket, came back that evening and had a massive clamp on it.

I rang my brother in an absolute state, as I had paid it. Ncps weren't interested in this as they said I had to pay it then I could appeal it. My brother came over and took it off.

I am absolutely sick with worry that he's going to be arrested. Has anyone any experience with this?

When my car was robbed the garda couldn't care less. I can't imagine they'll give a shít over a cut clamp. Forget about it, nothing will happen. It's not worth pursuing for the gardai or the clamping company

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Seriously doubt it. Only the council ones would be trouble. My brother has a stellar collection of their clamps that fell off and never heard anything off them ever.
    My ex went ballistic with, not NCPS but the other private clamping crowd who's name escapes me, before and told them he was going to cut a clamp off. They told him he could "go ahead and cut it off and stick it up his arse". My thinking is they're not that bothered? would only say otherwise for scare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No body clamp = no crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

So nervous guys! I'll let you know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

dingding wrote: »

Slightly off topic, sorry...

Is that correct dingding? The only notification of recording calls that I ever get is for "training purposes". Does that mean that those calls can't be used for anything else? And can I record calls also as long as I tell the other party or do I have to tell them at all since only one person/side has to consent to the recording, AFAIK?

To bring it on topic, Lexi, did they say that they were recording the call for "training purposes"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Car was also clamped at the train station on Friday, having paid using the 'paybytext' service. They claim to have no record of it despite me receiving a confirmation text.

I should have cut it off but my wife paid the fine thinking she could appeal and get the money back (she got the train home to pick up the car before me). I know that nothing will ever come of the appeal.

So it's obviously common enough clamping legit parked cars? I'm so nervous parking there now, had the oh get up at crazy o clock to drop me at the station because I won't park there anymore, what's the point? When they'll clamp you anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So it's obviously common enough clamping legit parked cars? I'm so nervous parking there now, had the oh get up at crazy o clock to drop me at the station because I won't park there anymore, what's the point? When they'll clamp you anyway

I jogged up to the station this morning instead, same situation as you. Out of interest.. what station were you in? PM me if you want to avoid posting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

mloc123 wrote: »
    I jogged up to the station this morning instead, same situation as you. Out of interest.. what station were you in? PM me if you want to avoid posting.

Jesus don't answer that In public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Back in college my friend was clamped. He called the company to remove it , they wouldn't unless he paid the fine so he took out his consaw and cut it off in front of yer man and nothing ever happened.

They won't bother their hole pursuing you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Guys,

I have removed several clamps (at least 6) and nothing ever comes of it. Its all scare tactics. Don't admit you removed it. I always brought back the clamp as not going to steal saying i found it beside car. Its a costly civil case over a 200 euro clamp, its not worth their while. Also once you can remove the clamp without damaging it, its complete fair game.....no legislation on clamping exists on this.

Removing them without damaging the clamp or car is a time consuming matter, so i plan to just invest in a battery powered angle grinder as much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

mloc123 wrote: »

RIP LexieOnRale.
    Hi Larry Murphy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Just wondering lex, did you identify yourself in any way on the phone to them, ie give your name or car reg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Slightly off topic, sorry...

Is that correct dingding? The only notification of recording calls that I ever get is for "training purposes". Does that mean that those calls can't be used for anything else? And can I record calls also as long as I tell the other party or do I have to tell them at all since only one person/side has to consent to the recording, AFAIK?

To bring it on topic, Lexi, did they say that they were recording the call for "training purposes"?

The pre-recorded message is there so that the company doesn't have to get consent from the agent everytime they want to use the phone conversation for anything. What happens if the agent says no?

You can record calls as you are giving your consent for it to be recorded but you couldn't record someone and use it for anything without their consent.

Yeah I rang up and told them my car red and told them to get their clamp off my car as I had a ticket and would present ticket instead of the money when the clamper removed the clamp. She was having none of it. Said it wouldn't be removed until I paid 120 euro. I said I had a ticket she said it wasn't "clearly displayed" I said it's not my fault if they hire visually impaired people, and that if they didn't remove it, I'd remove it at which point she told me that the call was recorded. I told her I didn't even care and cut her off.

That was the entire conversation.

I'm so mad about it. The train station is a 30 min drive from my house. They left me stranded half an hours drive from home at 8:30 at night, and I had legally parked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

So they know you have a red car, i wouldn't worry about it, I cut one off with a conpsaw about 8 years ago and thrown it in the sea off the docks in Galway, I never heard a bit about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Sorry i need to jump in here.
    They cannot enforce a penalty or a fine, they are not a licensed Local Authority , they cannot implement this. Their is no legislation for or against clampers or clampees.
    If its a private matter, their only chance is a civil case costing them a fortune..that they will have to try and claim back the fees.

Advertisement