Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be honest, how bad is your diet?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My diet isn't great. Usually cereal for breakfast and perhaps soup and bread for lunch and a ready made meal (which are usually packed with salt and other crap) in the microwave for dinner. Two pieces of fruit a day and the odd take away/Chinese delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My one is generally very good. No potato/Bread/Pasta and general crap. Last 2 weeks are a bit rough with heavy drinking/fatty food weekends.

My diet would be perfect if not Social life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Five days out of seven I'm pretty good at the moment. But today started well with porridge and then everything went to pot. Dinner was icecream and snacked on custard creams washed down with two glasses of vino.

Back to veggie and fruit tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My diet is unreal. Plenty of bread, meats, vegetables and gluten free desserts (rewards for good eating). I was inspired by the federally approved food pyramid to bring my weight down from a hefty 25 stone to a slender 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Haha there all so good! Mine is s***e too basically. The only thing I've eaten today is a sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise, chicken and red onions and crisps. And two hot chocs. One Insomnia (my favourite) the other was Dunnes. And thats it so far today.. I'm currently waiting on my OH to bring me home garlic mushrooms. Then maybe tomorrow I'll treat myself to mizzonis :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

My diet is great. It's the 60 units of alcohol per week that's my problem; it's not a problem it's under control...

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

AWFUL!!!!! my doctor would be horrified if she knew!!!

breakfast
    sometimes not hungry... but I down about 5 cups of tea in about 30minutes!
    lunch time (1-3pm)
    i'll feel a bit peckish - so ill start drinking my coffee - and muffin if not that hungry - or a sandwich - or a few crackers.
    then constant snacking on what I can get my hands on....
    dinner(5-6pm)
    either a bowl or pasta with (a lot) of butter, and cheese.... or some garlic bread (on its own) or something that will take about 20 minutes in the oven.
    and chocolate for the next few hours.....
    with at least another 20-25 cups of tea since breakfast - a 160 pack of tea bags only lasts me about 2 weeks. :O

Before people start telling me I'm lazy - I put my hands up and can say I CAN'T COOK!!! home EC in school was always a disaster! nothing was ever edible - either burnt to crisp- or still raw!
    I don't cook meat.... I don't trust myself enough!!

I don't have any decent take aways or chippers or a mcDonalds in my area -THANK GOD!!!

I would love to be able to exercise more though - but in the city where I live - when its quite (7pm onwards) its not safe enough to go walking.... I don't like the city during the day at all - their isn't even a nice park within walking distance!

I've just had an enormous amount of Mexican food, washed down with vat-sized mugs of tea.

Ask me tomorrow. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sure you can cook, follow recipes or put things in the oven or a frying pan... or boil it. boiled chicken fillets are nice

diet is ok could be better could be worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

But cheat meals are essential to a good diet to reset your metabolism etc.

What manner of pseudoscience is this?

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »

He means that when I fill myself with Mexican stodge until I fall into a coma that I'm actually doing myself a favour!!!!

Candie wrote: »
    He means that when I fill myself with Mexican stodge until I fall into a coma that I'm actually doing myself a favour!!!!

Yeah, sound likes he's in denial to me.

Much better to just say "I mostly eat healthy but I like the odd blowout" instead of trying to make out it's beneficial. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sure you can cook, follow recipes or put things in the oven or a frying pan.

This.

I do a massive cook up about once a month and stock the fridge/freezer with meals. My OHs kids were over today, and I'd to go out, and rather than call out for Chinese, he'd the options of serving them homemade lasagne, beef casserole, or shepherds pie, all made from scratch, no jars of sauces etc.

Day to day, I think my diet is pretty good.

Breakfast is a split meal, I've a tea when I wake up, then a latte on the way to work, followed by a banana and yoghurt when I get to work.

Lunch is usually a sandwich/roll with home cooked ham or chicken, and home made soup (veg for me, tomato and pepper for himself)

Dinner is usually something homemade lasagne/roast chicken/shepherds pie/casserole/steak with plenty of veg

Snacks for me are dried fruit, apples, pears

Not much junk tbh
    Drinks during the day are usually peppermint or green tea, along with up to four 16oz lattes

Snacks are nuts, or fruit, in work we have a mad habit of sharing treats, so there is always chocolate about, but I'd rarely eat it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Liamario wrote: »
    Could be better, but exercise is my problem.

Same here really, I'm 25 now and I was lucky enough that up to now I never put on weight easily and kept a fairly trim figure without doing any regular exercise and no matter what I ate. Since that metabolism has begun its inexorable journey towards death I'm becoming aware of my diet so much more. I'm fairly active but I need to start paying more attention to exercise.

My diet ranges from really good to absolutely terrible, several times within a week. I might have porridge for breakfast one day and skittles the next, not eat anything for a day and a half and then a huge stirfry. I'm living between about four houses at the moment so there's not a lot of consistency!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same here really, I'm 25 now and I was lucky enough that up to now I never put on weight easily and kept a fairly trim figure without doing any regular exercise and no matter what I ate. Since that metabolism has begun its inexorable journey towards death I'm becoming aware of my diet so much more. I'm fairly active but I need to start paying more attention to exercise.

My diet ranges from really good to absolutely terrible, several times within a week. I might have porridge for breakfast one day and skittles the next, not eat anything for a day and a half and then a huge stirfry. I'm living between about four houses at the moment so there's not a lot of consistency!

I have the opposite problem as I am in my forties, and struggle to maintain my weight.

For years I was told I would balloon at x/yz age, and it never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I am currently bulking but it applies to both a bulking and cutting diet.When you're cutting, i.e ingesting less calories and less carbs than usual maintenance and doing that every single day, your body begins to think you're starving and goes into survival mode, thus shutting down some hormones and f*cking up your metabolism thus limiting your results. Introducing some dirty meals will help tell your body that everything is fine and resets the process. In terms of bulking it serves to get in extra calories and carbs that will provide your body with enough energy and carbs to use in the furnace.

When you're cutting, i.e ingesting less calories and less carbs than usual maintenance and doing that every single day, your body begins to think you're starving and goes into survival mode, thus shutting down some hormones and f*cking up your metabolism thus limiting your results. Introducing some dirty meals will help tell your body that everything is fine and resets the process.

Can you point to some science that actually demonstrates this? Preferably not a magazine that has shirtless men on the cover.

conorh91 wrote: »
    Can you point to some science that actually demonstrates this? Preferably not a magazine that has shirtless men on the cover.

Leptin, a protein mainly produced by fat tissue, regulates appetite and energy balance in the body. It acts on the brain's hypothalamus to suppress food intake and stimulate the use of energy, or calories. Leptin plays a key role in regulating body weight and fat mass through its stimulating effect on the brain. In fact, studies have shown that within 24 hours of fasting, leptin levels decrease to 30 percent of their normal value.1

But it doesn't end with leptin. Ghrelin, a peptide hormone mainly produced by the stomach, is an appetite stimulant that signals the release of growth hormone. Low-calorie diets and chronic exercise have been shown to result in increased ghrelin concentrations, which may lead to increasing food intake and body weight.

In addition to affecting appetite and energy use through leptin and ghrelin, sustained caloric-deficit diets also cause the body to attempt to conserve energy by decreasing levels of the thyroid hormones T3 and T4, which help regulate and maintain metabolism. Sustained low-carbohydrate diets deplete the body of glycogen stores and can leave you feeling sluggish and weak, which can negatively affect your training performance.

Since significant changes in the levels of leptin and ghrelin are seen after only 72 hours of a calorie-restricted diet, weekly cheat meals that are higher in calories and carbohydrates can help raise leptin levels and lower ghrelin. This is important because the return of your hormone levels to normal can help reverse or even prevent any negative effects on metabolism, hunger drive, and energy expenditure. In addition, the increased calories will also help to increase thyroid function, further boosting metabolism.

This increase in metabolism can last for days after your body digests a cheat meal, thus offsetting the drop in hormones that occurs when the calorie-deficit diet is again resumed. As a result, a scheduled cheat meal can actually help optimize our body's hormones to avoid weight-loss plateaus and prevent it from entering starvation mode. That's right, a well-rounded cheat can help you break through weight-loss plateaus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭murray.eoghan

i am on the icy diet...... I c it i eat it :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not too bad, but could be better. I probably have too much sugar and a few too many little treats, but it's generally not too bad. Dinners are cooked from scratch most of the time and I try to get plenty of veg. Porridge and a mug of tea for breakfast etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I try to eat healthy foods and exercise as well, was a fat kid so not going back to that again.

Leptin, a protein mainly produced by fat tissue, regulates appetite and energy balance in the body. It acts on the brain's hypothalamus to suppress food intake and stimulate the use of energy, or calories. Leptin plays a key role in regulating body weight and fat mass through its stimulating effect on the brain. In fact, studies have shown that within 24 hours of fasting, leptin levels decrease to 30 percent of their normal value.1

But it doesn't end with leptin. Ghrelin, a peptide hormone mainly produced by the stomach, is an appetite stimulant that signals the release of growth hormone. Low-calorie diets and chronic exercise have been shown to result in increased ghrelin concentrations, which may lead to increasing food intake and body weight.

In addition to affecting appetite and energy use through leptin and ghrelin, sustained caloric-deficit diets also cause the body to attempt to conserve energy by decreasing levels of the thyroid hormones T3 and T4, which help regulate and maintain metabolism. Sustained low-carbohydrate diets deplete the body of glycogen stores and can leave you feeling sluggish and weak, which can negatively affect your training performance.

Since significant changes in the levels of leptin and ghrelin are seen after only 72 hours of a calorie-restricted diet, weekly cheat meals that are higher in calories and carbohydrates can help raise leptin levels and lower ghrelin. This is important because the return of your hormone levels to normal can help reverse or even prevent any negative effects on metabolism, hunger drive, and energy expenditure. In addition, the increased calories will also help to increase thyroid function, further boosting metabolism.

This increase in metabolism can last for days after your body digests a cheat meal, thus offsetting the drop in hormones that occurs when the calorie-deficit diet is again resumed. As a result, a scheduled cheat meal can actually help optimize our body's hormones to avoid weight-loss plateaus and prevent it from entering starvation mode. That's right, a well-rounded cheat can help you break through weight-loss plateaus!

You literally copied and pasted that from a website called www.bodybuilding.com.

A website which features a topless man on its cover.

I went to the trouble of seeking out actual scientific information, reading a study cited by "bodybuilding.com". The study, if you read it, says the manner in which both the leptin and ghrelin systems contribute to the development or maintenance of obesity is not clear.

Predictably, bodybuilder.com doesn't seem to be particularly reliable.

I am currently bulking but it applies to both a bulking and cutting diet.When you're cutting, i.e ingesting less calories and less carbs than usual maintenance and doing that every single day, your body begins to think you're starving and goes into survival mode, thus shutting down some hormones and f*cking up your metabolism thus limiting your results. Introducing some dirty meals will help tell your body that everything is fine and resets the process. In terms of bulking it serves to get in extra calories and carbs that will provide your body with enough energy and carbs to use in the furnace.

Yeah, got any actual decent scientific literature to back any of this up? "Survival mode" is a load of crap. When I had an eating disorder in a past life, I lost weight and lost weight and lost weight. There was no point at which the weight loss stopped because my body thought I wasn't get enough.

I aint got time to look up the scientific literature to satisfy a bunch of elitists... I'm just citing a thing that provides info that has worked for me and countless others. I had an eating disorder too, yes I lost weight but the first chunk of weight I lost was staggering compared to the rest, as is the same with anyone who loses weight, eating disorder or not. Same thing with bulking up or "newbie gains". It's all about the effectiveness of your metabolism as your body gets shocked from sudden change. I am on about maximising your bodies ability to build muscle or lose fat efficiently and quickly. Cheating once a week or whatever shocks your body

I aint got time to look up the scientific literature to satisfy a bunch of elitists... Cheating once a week or whatever shocks your body
    So does smoking, but I ain't got no time to look up the science to satisfy a bunch of elitists.

I aint got time to look up the scientific literature to satisfy a bunch of elitists

:pac:

OK bye bye bye bye bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

I only eat spam.

:pac:

OK bye bye bye bye bye.

Glad to see you're conceding defeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mostly clean. I prepare the majority of what I eat. Have at least two big portions of veg per day, along with eggs, meat, some fruit and nuts. Don't add sugar to my hot drinks and I make my own low sugar snacks, such as flapjacks. But Friday night is fish and chips night :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't know.

I have boiled eggs/wholemeal toast, tea and orange juice for breakfast.
    Lunch will be a ham sandwich on wholemeal bread, cup of tea, bag of crisps.

Dinner is a home-made Bolognese, home-made curry or home-made Shepherd's Pie (90% of my dinners are home-made and contain a lot of veg).

I love wine and have a bottle on Friday and Saturday night, followed by a few beers Sunday night.
    Snacking's my downfall; as soon as the wine's open, I'm all over Pringles and nuts

:(

Advertisement