Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Deputy Stanton has gone on record to say Minister Fitzgerald gave her assurances we will be involved. So if she breaks that it looks bad. Not much, but something.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Here we go. Refusals on FCA1's with no basis.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

bottom line as too why they want to change this.
    Money,power and fear.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Seemed to get caught up is his own thoughts and lost sight of the question for second?

Declan just put it on the line.. Chairman made the point of waste of court time,Farrel has said it to and now is off on CSI stuff.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

But what about the applications that went over the 3 months, but were eventually granted after 5, 6, 9, 12 months.

As for the CSI stuff. Well CS Healy said it's too expensive. As did Minister Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

zero cost solutions!

That's all she wrote.

Not too bad, not bad at all. We were calm, concise, factual and for what it's worth seemed to rubbish the previous "stats", and educate the members on some basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I think all the answers were very well presented.

I was impressed at the professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Well done lads, I think they put things across on a precise and easily understood manner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I think Flood came across really exceptionally clear, reasonable and logical. Especially good with finian McGrath question.
    That took self control to the extreme - can see why he shoots so well.
    Yuba

The morning is ours!!That went very well and there are now some VERY serious questions for AGS to answer.Think we also gained an ally from an unusual source,and identified the hostiles.[Mc Grath and Kenny].We gave options and solutions as well and came across as reasonable knowageable people.

Keep it cool and calm and on the same line and we will carry the day!;)
    To those about to rock this afternoon we salute you!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

right some of us have to work, lol I wont get to see the afternoon session is it possible to watch it later this evening somewhere, well done to those involved this morning and I know the guys in the afternoon will do well to.

Still waiting to hear from members of the public who responded to the call for submissions to the Justice Committee in thejournal.ie and irish examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Great job to the lads today. Got their point across. Highlighting exaggerated numbers, the false claims over the Corbally Murder Weapon although I noticed the chair put a stop to Mulcahy when he questioned misinformation being supplied to the committee.

Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

Well, that went extremely well. Articulate, factual, and options to the proposals given, instead of just rubbishing the report.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The morning is ours!!That went very well and there are now some VERY serious questions for AGS to answer.Think we also gained an ally from an unusual source,and identified the hostiles.[Mc Grath and Kenny].We gave options and solutions as well and came across as reasonable knowageable people.

Keep it cool and calm and on the same line and we will carry the day!;)
    To those about to rock this afternoon we salute you!

I was unable to catch the entire morning sitting of the committee, however I must say I was impressed by the submissions and replies which I managed to see. Their concise delivery and the ability to back up their statements with established facts was like a breath of fresh air, in contrast to (not related to firearms legislation) the appearances of senior Gardai and the former Commissioner before the PAC last year along with AGS appearances before other committees which, for the most part, have been farcical in the extreme with ambiguous and often innaccurate assertions being backed up by the most dubious of 'expert' statistics etc.

I did however find it irksome to hear the use of terms like 'assault-rifle' etc and assertions vaguely implying that sportspersons are inextricably linked with gangland and other homicides. The ignorance of more than one committee member I found distressing in that regard. There was commendable self control shown in response to some of these questions and I was impressed at the concise and forthright input given by the representatives in reply to these and other questions following their initial submissions.

I look forward to the afternoon sitting and congratulate the representatives of our sporting interests/organisations for the excellent job they did this morning. Their cup of tayyyyyyyy is thoroughly well deserved :-)

G

I thought the committee were more thoughtful wrt shooters this time and there were no egregious comments. Thought Finian Mcgrath could have phrased his q a bit more respectfully, but the question of public safety DOES have to be discussed and I think it was handled in-depth today.

Absolutely gobsmacked by Ivana Bacik.

then again, we ARE a minority and Labour are big on social inclusion. She could probably identify with the minority thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

yubabill1 wrote: »

Absolutely gobsmacked by Ivana Bacik.

then again, we ARE a minority and Labour are big on social inclusion. She could probably identify with the minority thing.

Don't think of that as a bad question ;it was probably the best favour we were done today. Hard to portray a sport with high levels of gender equality as a bunch of redneck yahoo's which is what mcgrath tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

No pressure Sparks & Gunhappy but the morning session was outstanding. Good luck to all this afternoon.

Dail Bar for lunch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

knockon wrote: »
    No pressure Sparks & Gunhappy but the morning session was outstanding. Good luck to all this afternoon.

Dail Bar for lunch?

God no, do you think I'm made of money? :-D

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't think of that as a bad question ;it was probably the best favour we were done today. Hard to portray a sport with high levels of gender equality as a bunch of redneck yahoo's which is what mcgrath tried.

Gobsmacked because she didn't try to tear us a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't know why you're surprised with Ivana Bacik. She's one very intelligent lady who is well able to listen to grounded argument and make up her mind accordingly. By the way I'm not a Labour member or supporter.

She would have if she had heard and seen a " Portmarnock Golf club " attitude.What women in the members bar??Are you joking dear girl?? Pfft..You 'll be wanting the vote next" Once she heard women in shooting programme,gender neutral,women have an advantage, etc .She was sold.She is as hot and as passionate on those issues as we are on firearms.

Wonder what dirty tricks AGS are going to have to pull out after that one

Whatever about who is for/against us on the Justice Committee, the Chairman mentioned consultation beyond this process, once again this morning.

These proposals don't merit the amount of time/effort that have gone into them, but I reckon they need to find a fig leaf, even if the fig leaf is a general election.

Dead in the water IMHO.

break a leg this afternoon, guys. Won't be able to watch live, but will be back at teatime.

Yuba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

homerhop wrote: »
    Wonder what dirty tricks AGS are going to have to pull out after that one

I wouldn't say dirty tricks but there's still a generation of senior people in that organisation that don't understand that the argument "Because we say so and we're the Gardai" doesn't work anymore as evidenced by a glut of District Court findings in favour of firearm owners in the recent past.

I wouldn't say dirty tricks but there's still a generation of senior people in that organisation that don't understand that the argument "Because we say so and we're the Gardai" doesn't work anymore as evidenced by a glut of District Court findings in favour of firearm owners in the recent past.

Afraid its not just the senior ones, having a few family members in it its alive and well in the younger generation too

If they have that kind of "I'm da law! and you will respect my authorithy no matter what !" attitude.Then they really have no place being in a uniform or having any sort of authorithy at all,I'm sorry to say.We have had enough abuse of power to last us a lifetime in this country whether in or out of uniform.We give people guns and power because they are supposed to be responsible calm and level headed,not bullies with them.

• Advertisement

I put it down to conditioning that they get in Templemore.

Advertisement