Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent dedicates half its content on rubbishing Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Used to be, since the 00's they've become obsessed with Rugby. Way to many column inches.

Ah yeah, I feel the same way about rugby but you got to take the good with the bad. They're football coverage is good enough. Dion Fanning is worth a look now and again, nice style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Nodin wrote: »
    He made a threat? When? What was it?

Hello Nodin

You know the score "google it"

The googles do naathing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well they do have the economic policies of a retarded squirrel

Didn't Denis o Brien's INM need a 140 million debt write off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Winty wrote: »
    Hello Nodin

You know the score "google it"

You seem confused -

You stated it, its for you to provide the facts. That's the way its always been.

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    The googles do naathing!

They don't have pics of Gerry bollock naked now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Their incessant attacks seem to be having the opposite effect if opinion polls are anything to go by.

They were handing free copies of the paper out with purchases of over a fiver in a shop I was in the other day. Hopefully a sign that it's about to die a death!

You seem confused -

You stated it, its for you to provide the facts. That's the way its always been.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/gerry-adams-editor-at-gunpoint-remark-at-500-a-plate-ny-dinner-30725951.html

I take your bait Nodin, I expect you to pass back a one liner "where is the threat"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/gerry-adams-editor-at-gunpoint-remark-at-500-a-plate-ny-dinner-30725951.html

I take your bait Nodin, I expect you to pass back a one liner "where is the threat"

Can you copy and paste the threat for those of us on mobiles please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

catallus wrote: »
    Anything, ANYTHING!!!!, is better than the traitors of Fianna Fail.

And SF are growing philosophically, politically, and electorally. Like I said, it's early days.

How are Sinn Fein growing philosophically? Do you call giving madcap economic alternatives to uneducated people a philosophical growth?

• Advertisement

No, no.

He made a joke. The Indo claimed it was a "threat". There was no threat.

Why are you spreading nonsense that's clearly untrue Winty?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Irish Independent hailed Michael Collins as a Gandhi figure, he said, before regaling the roomful of adoring American supporters with how Collins had dealt with a critical press.

“He went in, sent volunteers in, to the offices, held the editor at gun point and destroyed the entire printing press. That’s what he did. Now I can just see the headline in the Independent tomorrow, I’m obviously not advocating that,”

You'd need to be some sort of perpetually terrified ninny to see that as a threat.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    How are Sinn Fein growing philosophically? Do you call giving madcap economic alternatives to uneducated people a philosophical growth?

do you mean the likes o' me milord? I barely can figure out what straw to chew meself milord.

No, no.

He made a joke. The Indo claimed it was a "threat". There was no threat.

Why are you spreading nonsense that's clearly untrue Winty?

Yes Yes

SF are know for their jokes, I remember a kid back in the 80's who feel playing football and got two bullets stuck in his knee caps, funny times

You remember Northern Ireland in the 80's dont ya Nodin

Yes Yes

SF are know for their jokes, I remember a kid back in the 80's who feel playing football and got two bullets stuck in his knee caps, funny times

You remebber Northern Ireland in the 80's dont ya Nodin

I do indeedy, old and grey as I am. That's not going to turn a joke into a threat anytime soon though.

You still with the SDLP?

I do indeedy, old and grey as I am. That's not going to turn a joke into a threat anytime soon though.

You still with the SDLP?

SDLP will rise again

Gerry is a great orator I will give him that, reading the text I agree their is no threat but reading words does not allow for tone or context. Adams is a man with a powerful past and his words carry weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

If I were a Journalist from the Wall Street Journal or The Donegal Democrat it does not matter I would be so anoyed with Adams making a threat against fellow Journalists.
    I would go and make it my life mission to hunt out every story I could where Adams defends sex abusers or has women taking from their homes in the middle of the night and killed.

How dare he stand infront of a load of plastic paddies in some ballroom in New York and say he would hold a gun to the editior. It would have been a joke from somebody like Enda Kenny or Bertie but a man like Adams is a sinister move.

So to all you who say the Independent is being unfair to SF what would you do If your people get threatened by a spokesman for terriost organistaion that killed hundreds of people

SDLP will rise again

Gerry is a great orator I will give him that, reading the text I agree their is no threat but reading words does not allow for tone or context. Adams is a man with a powerful past and his words carry weight

At last. :pac:

SDLP will rise again

A joke is a joke. You'll also note that the article states the "audience laughed". There was no threat, implied or otherwise. Like the vast majority of whinging that goes on the Sindo theres no truth behind the smoke and mirrors. Unless its Amy Hubermann/Brian O'Driscoll. I'm fairly sure those two actually exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

do you mean the likes o' me milord? I barely can figure out what straw to chew meself milord.

If you have no clue or interest about the economy and swallow Sinn Fein's nonsensical populist bleating, then yes, i mean the likes of you.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    If you have no clue or interest about the economy and swallow Sinn Fein's nonsensical populist bleating, then yes, i mean the likes of you.

Course milord. As ye will milord.

• Advertisement

At last. :pac:

There are some people with the balls to admit they're wrong allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

A "newspaper" that rubbishes SF's economic policies yet is an ardent supporter of FF? Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

looks good for the editor if he protrays that his paper by going after Sinn Fein has resulted in him getting threats from Gerry Adams. Backs up his own nonsense with his own self importance. Are they're armed guards at the doors of the Independent today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Many will know what SF are against.
    Few will know what SF are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

United Ireland at all costs and damned the economy..... thats about it right?

The most important question is their stance on the Gay Cake Controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Irish Independent, particularly the online version, is doing the country such an injustice. So many important issues are being obfuscated by clear personally held agendas, the Gerry Adams issue being one of them.

The paper has suddenly awash with obvious red herrings making ridiculous allegations about Gerry Adams. However this is just muddying the water, it's allowing genuine questions Gerry needs to answer be forgotten amidst the nonsense of "Gerry threatens death on Indo editor etc".
    Recently there was an article on a disturbing retweet by Gerry Adams from some weeks back. He retweeted
    "Hey bby gurl, I got something LONG 4 ur BOTTOM".
    I think that's genuinely unacceptable to find that amusing or worthy or retweet for a potential leader of a country that has seen appalling sexual abuse cases. It's even more disturbingly insensitive by a man who has seen the rape of his niece by his brother tear their family apart and a man who has in the last weeks treated a victim of sexual abuse quite awfully.

Legitimate questions about his judgement and values regarding sensitive issues should be answered in my opinion. I think the Indo are nearly doing him a favour by throwing so many false allegations at him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wonder does the Indo realise it is so widely hated and disrespected

I always think this but then I wonder "why is it so widely bought?"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Indo disappoints frequently, usually quickly find myself on the UK telegraph or guardian.

I give the indo about sht out of ten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Warper wrote: »
    Bought the Sunday Indo the other week and never again. Half of the main paper was rubbishing Sinn Fein? That was it, every opinion and article about them was discrediting them. What a farce of a paper, the Irish Indo is a glorified tabloid

The tabloid's are better researched and written.

Advertisement