Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent dedicates half its content on rubbishing Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭bmc58

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wonder does the Indo realise it is so widely hated and disrespected that people might just elect Sinn Féin to spite them?
    It's not just "hate" of the Independent that SF will get many more seats in the next election.Our "open and transparent" Taoiseach is doing his best to help their cause as well.

The more anti-SF publications the better. The indo are to be applauded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Warper wrote: »
    Bought the Sunday Indo the other week and never again. Half of the main paper was rubbishing Sinn Fein? That was it, every opinion and article about them was discrediting them. What a farce of a paper, the Irish Indo is a glorified tabloid

If someone is sympathetic to Sinn Fein, why would they buy the Sindo? I can't stand Lucinda and won't buy the Sindo either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"Native", "God fearing" property owners of good standing, surely?

White straight catholic rich men, with a bible in one hand and the tri-colour in the other, by the grace of god! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 realistic anorak

What kind of dinosaur still buys newspapers ? Is it still 1994 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 gesler

The indo being rubbish and all is not up for debate but attacking SF is very credible and should be continued, only recently it emerged that they were shipping their Paedo and rapist members down south instead of shooting them like they do the non members.

SF are the political version of the Catholic church and anyone who believes they are a viable option for government is a loon

gesler wrote: »
    FF are the political version of the Catholic church

Fixed your post.

They have been terminally corrupted by power. But they still have their blind hangers on.

There's not a whole lot to like about SF either, but should we not celebrate the fact we have a budding new force in our political landscape? It is early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I don't particularly like Sinn Fein but the constant attacks are ridiculous.

So much so that I will be voting for SF just to watch the main stream parties squeal.

catallus wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

They have been terminally corrupted by power. But they still have their blind hangers on.

There's not a whole lot to like about SF either, but should we not celebrate the fact we have a budding new force in our political landscape? It is early days.

Your going to celebrate what you yourself have called "not a whole lot to like"

Sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

The good oul Sindo, what with their fascinating pieces on "celebrities" such as Gerald Kean and... erm.... Gerald Kean..

And not forgetting most of their stories (which are more like fairytales) come from one of two sources either "a source close to so and so" or "an inside source".... Nothing iffy there....

• Advertisement

So much so that I will be voting for SF just to watch the main stream parties squeal.

Oh jasus, this is the type of crap that has this country in the mess its in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Warper wrote: »
    Half of the main paper was rubbishing Sinn Fein?

Lets look at this from the other side. SF are a reporters dream, they have a boss who write tweets that nobody can understand, tells everyone he was not in the IRA but we all know he was, stands up for people who abused children, has a beard, threatened to kill the editor, ect ect

gesler wrote: »
    Your going to celebrate what you yourself have called "not a whole lot to like"

Sad

Anything, ANYTHING!!!!, is better than the traitors of Fianna Fail.

And SF are growing philosophically, politically, and electorally. Like I said, it's early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Fixed your post.

A bunch of authoritarians shouting cheap slogans? I don't fancy that even if I am supposed to ignore all their baggage from the Long War.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    A bunch of authoritarians shouting cheap slogans? I don't fancy that even if I am supposed to ignore all their baggage from the Long War.

How does any political party start?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest the Indo has been sliding down into the cesspool of tabloidism for years, they are at the same journalistic level as the rag tops at this stage.

SF are their own worst enemies though. If they truly want to make the breakthrough into mainstream politics and really challenge the status quo they have to ditch the dinosaurs like Adams who have extremely questionable pasts. They are presenting themselves as a very easy target for the likes of the Independent by continuing to promote and support the senior and close to retirement figures who were actively involved in murder, maiming, destruction, shielding child abusers and actively relocating rapists.

If they retire those members then a lot of these issues become moot. As long as the old guard remain they will still be transfer toxic, what ever first preference gain they make they will still lose out on transfers and ultimately it will cost SF seats.

On the other hand if they lose these targets for deflective topics then their very questionable economic policies will become the focus of real investigation which could be just as damaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They're reporting what happened in Love/Hate last night as if it's actual news, now that's proper tabloid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Winty wrote: »
    Lets look at this from the other side. SF are a reporters dream, they have a boss who write tweets that nobody can understand, tells everyone he was not in the IRA but we all know he was, stands up for people who abused children, has a beard, threatened to kill the editor, ect ect

Let it be known that this has nothing to do with supporting or membership of the IRA or Sinn Fein.

I myself have a beard and no interest in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd like to see Gerry Adams as Taoiseach.....

Out of a kind of morbid curiosity as to how fcuked up the country would end up, not unlike how I'd like to see what would happen if the Tea Party Loons and the likes of Sarah Palin had the run of the place in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Calibos wrote: »
    I'd like to see Gerry Adams as Taoiseach.....

Out of a kind of morbid curiosity as to how fcuked up the country would end up, not unlike how I'd like to see what would happen if the Tea Party Loons and the likes of Sarah Palin had the run of the place in the states.

could he be any worse than bertie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Let it be known that this has nothing to do with supporting or membership of the IRA or Sinn Fein.

I myself have a beard and no interest in either.
    Vested interest.

nokia69 wrote: »
    could he be any worse than bertie

To have a sitting Prime Minister respond to legal inquiries into political corruption by claiming that money in his account was won on a horse-betting-wager is just one of the more painful of the multitude of horrific stains that despicable cabal has left as its legacy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Vested interest.

Vests are another story altogether, a few string vests a la Rab C Nesbit and we're talking business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I gave up buying Sunday papers 2 years ago. The Business Post is another lap dog.
    I've never voted SF but my opinion would never be clouded by the opinion of a journalist.
    Firstly I would not class myself as a Sinn Fein supporter. I realise that Gerry Adams would have been out on his ear, if he was the leader of ANY other political party in Ireland, I also realise that Adams has made himself a hypocrite by trying to live in two worlds like an Irish Tony Soprano "a God-fáda" :)

But...the calling card of the Shinnerbot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Butts ...the calling card of the Shinnerbot.

And Sir Mix Alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

If I were a Journalist from the Wall Street Journal or The Donegal Democrat it does not matter I would be so anoyed with Adams making a threat against fellow Journalists.
    I would go and make it my life mission to hunt out every story I could where Adams defends sex abusers or has women taking from their homes in the middle of the night and killed.

How dare he stand infront of a load of plastic paddies in some ballroom in New York and say he would hold a gun to the editior. It would have been a joke from somebody like Enda Kenny or Bertie but a man like Adams is a sinister move.

So to all you who say the Independent is being unfair to SF what would you do If your people get threatened by a spokesman for terriost organistaion that killed hundreds of people

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Yes by keeping Sinn Fein in the news for whatever reason they are actually promoting the party. All this coverage is getting everyone talking about them and commenting and come the day of the election those that can't make up their mind will just go "hay I read something about them recently, sure I'll stick them down can't be any worse than the others".

Irish Indpendent promoting Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Good sports section though :)

Used to be, since the 00's they've become obsessed with Rugby. Way to many column inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Winty wrote: »
    If I were a Journalist from the Wall Street Journal or The Donegal Democrat it does not matter I would be so anoyed with Adams making a threat against fellow Journalists..............

He made a threat? When? What was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you are a SF supporter, just buy An Phoblacht instead of the Indo. You can read stuff that suits you even if untrue, but it will keep one content.

Advertisement