Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Continuity training thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

pconn062 wrote: »
    Another question, how much time would you set aside for this phase? Is it a case of as long as possible? I would be planning on switching to the "true base phase" maybe around the start of February, so that would give me 6 weeks roughly of this kind of training. Is that long enough to be beneficial?

I think this is where running background plays a huge role. I have had some athletes do up to 12 weeks of this sort of work where I felt it necessary for aerobic development to the point to be able to handle the type of training they were to go on to. Personally If I had someone new to the sport I think that 4-6 months of this sort of work could yield huge benefits at any aerobically dominant distance.

For others I think 6-8 weeks is fine and will establish a good base again it depends on the individual but I know personally I spent about 6-7 weeks doing this sort of work last winter before going on to specific workouts. It all allows you to spend a bit of time working on muscle imbalances and other under lying issues that can hamper your progression due to injury risk or simply inhibited muscles diminishing power output

Hi ECOLII

You might remember that you outlined a nice training guide for me a few weeks back.

Month 1

Week 1 - 12 x 90 seconds @ 5k pace with 45 sec - 1 min jog recovery
    Week 2 - 3 mile tempo @ HMP
    Week 3 - 6 x 1k @ 10k pace with 2 min recovery
    Week 4 - 50 minutes @ MP

I actually finished week 4 today.

I have just one question. I actually found the 50 minutes at MP probably the most difficult of them all (probably week 1 was 2nd toughest).

I was going to repeat Month 1 again for now to bring me to the New Year. Should I expect Week 4 to be 'easier' next time? What if I split it say into 2 x 30 minutes @ MP with 2 minutes rest?

I was lucky enough to have reasonably restful days before each session but i didn't always have 7 days between sessions.

Sorry that took so long to explain.

Thanks again for your continued devotion to this thread. Super. Much appreciated.

That was more of an example than an actual guideline but glad it helped :)

In terms of another month on I think you should always be trying for progression however it does not necessarily have to be apparent in each session. There may come times where you actually run a little slower or close to same pace on next MP run and most likely could happen with temperatures dropping, the main thing is that the correct effort levels are there. In terms of progression to the three variables which you can change as things go on - distance pace or recovery so you could simply aim to run at same intensity with quicker times or try and hold time and intensity while decreasing the recovery

So Month 2 could look a few different ways

Month 2 (aim to increase the pace)

Week 1 - 12 x 90 seconds @ 5k pace with 45 sec - 1 min jog recovery
    Week 3 - 6 x 1k @ 10k pace with 2 min recovery
    Week 4 - 50 minutes @ MP

Month 2 (aim to decrease recovery)
    Week 1 - 12 x 90 seconds @ 5k pace with 40 sec - 50 sec jog recovery
    Week 3 - 6 x 1k @ 10k pace with 1 min 45 recovery
    Week 4 - 50 minutes @ MP

Month 2 (aim to increase the pace)
    Week 1 - 12 x 2 min @ 5k pace with 1 min - 75 sec jog recovery
    Week 2 - 2x2 mile tempo @ HMP w/ 2-3 min jog rec
    Week 3 - 5 x 1200 @ 10k pace with 2 min recovery
    Week 4 - 2 x 30 minutes @ MP w/3 min jog rec

With HMP and MP runs there can be a number of variables (course, weather etc) which may not always make the progression seem hugely noticeable however as long as you are getting the right duration at the right intensity I wouldn't be overly concerned about the paces, too many people get into the habit of racing these forms of workouts or time trialing against their previous times, this should be avoided and just focus on effort. I tend to find the MP runs pretty hard to but you should not be out on your feet at the end but rather you should feel comfortably tired.

While we're on the subject of base phase intensities. Would you change the intensity levels of this phase depending on the distance of your goal race?

Say you're base building for a marathon. Would you pull back on the LT element and run more steady state med-longs instead? The marathon specific phase is generally longer and usually has a targeted LT mesocycle so is there a need for much LT training before that. Or would you advise an extended base phase with a greater emphasis on LT when transitioning from base to specific?

And in a 5k and below base build, would you add more LT stuff because the focus is usually on vo2 max and sharpeners in the specific mesocycle?

Unless the target distance was 800m or lower I wouldn't personally change this approach. With distances from 1500 up you are talking about aerobic dominant events and as such the fundamentals would very rarely change.

The LT work done in this phase is non specific i.e it is not aimed at becoming more efficient as you would with LT workouts, the recoveries are simply too long to do this properly, this is more just to allow low levels of stress of energy pathways so that the body can transition into latter stages with minimum risk while also creating an aerobic boost by giving the body very occasional jolts that they can easily adapt to.

Likewise for shorter distances the aim is not to stress the body here it is to develop the aerobic capacity to a point where it can assimilate the specific work at a latter date. Without getting too bogged down in the science or anyone interested in Vo2max training, I would implore them to read up on Oxygen Utilization and Mitochondria. Steve Magness and Hadd make great points on this. This foundation will have huge knock on effects in your later training.

With regards transitioning from Base to Specific also I think there is a huge missing piece to the puzzle here, I would always implore someone to have a general phase, this is where you will start to add some more specific work in relation to the event they are doing and begin to tailor things so for example a training cycle could read as follows;

Base Phase - 6-8 weeks
    General Phase - 8-10 weeks
    Race Specific Phase - 8-10 weeks

Obviously that is does not always work in conjunction with race schedules/seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ECOLII wrote: »
    Workout 1

1-3 miles warm up
    6 minutes @ HMP
    3 min recovery
    5 minutes @ HMP
    2.30 recovery
    4 min @ 10k pace
    2 minutes recovery
    3 minutes @ 10k pace
    90 sec recovery
    2 minutes @ 5k pace
    1 minute recovery
    1 minute @ 5k pace
    1-3 mile cooldown

(Or for easier reading 6,5,4,3,2,1 min w/1/2 jog recovery @ HMP/10k/5k paces)
    A great re-introduction to faster paces, and a useful reminder that marathon training makes us into one trick ponies. Certainly made me reconsider any errant thoughts I had about running the Jingle Bells 5k.

I'm planning on switching over at some point to one of Magness' plans (5k or 10k, probably the 10k), so these sessions are a superb way of facilitating the transition. If you keep posting 'em (and I really hope you do), I'll stick with them through xmas and skip the first couple of weeks of Magness' base building, as these fit the bill quite nicely. Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hi Ecolii,

Thanks for starting this thread. These kind of sessions are just what an "unattached" runner like me needs. As a relative newcomer to running over the last couple of years I have just jumped from one marathon programme/cycle to the next and in between has been easy recovery. With no plans for a spring marathon in 2015 these sessions will allow me to put some quality into the next couple of months bringing me up to Ballycotton (assuming I can get in) and beyond.

I only kicked off this week with your week one sessions so am lagging a few weeks behind you. I am unlikely to be able to add much to the thread as my knowledge base is pretty low and all book thought but I will be happy to let you know how I find the sessions.

• Advertisement

Used the 2nd session myself this week as worked a treat as a good tune up session the week of a half and even got me an unexpected shiny new PB :D

Session 1
    1-3 mile warm up
    14 x 1 min @ 5k pace with 1 min recovery
    1-3 mile cooldown

If you are judging these by time and not distance I would say set a marker in the first few and try to hit that spot right through the session rather than focus on Garmin paces because with 1 min reps the garmin can tend to throw up a hug amount of disparity over such a short time frame.

Effort wise this session should feel comfortable the first 1/4,getting into a rhythm the next 1/2 and really working to maintain paces on the last few. It's a great session for getting the body used to 5k rhythm with the recoveries being short enough that the cumulative fatigue builds without overcooking it

Session 2
    1-3 mile warm up
    45 minutes @MP
    1-3 mile cooldown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Really enjoying this thread and the detail in the posts EcolII.

With sessions over the winter months where weather conditions can be very variable is it more important to worry about getting the effort right, rather than worrying about hitting a certain pace.

Trying to hit certain paces might require a different type of effort and might change the benefit that the session was designed to give you, and maybe you end up flogging yourself just to hit a certain pre-determined target?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Really enjoying this thread and the detail in the posts EcolII.

With sessions over the winter months where weather conditions can be very variable is it more important to worry about getting the effort right, rather than worrying about hitting a certain pace.

Trying to hit certain paces might require a different type of effort and might change the benefit that the session was designed to give you, and maybe you end up flogging yourself just to hit a certain pre-determined target?

Effort should always be the focus and I would probably encourage people to have pace range for each effort level rather than a set in stone pace (so say 8.20-8.35 as a pace range for 5k depending on conditions etc it gives enough wiggle room). Hopefully I clarified this point in previously in my posts but apologies for any confusion (I realise I have used MP and MPE interchangeably throughout the thread)

If you look at variants which can affect effort - pace, weather, temperature, stress, sleep, hydration, course profile it is impossible to replicate the same pace/effort cross over on any given day similarly allowances are made in training based on these factors but often overlooked in race conditions.

MP effort can be affected negatively on race day for what ever reason so it would not make complete sense to have an absolute figure from the race either if conditions on a training day might be more favourable would than they were when PB was set.

Used the 2nd session myself this week as worked a treat as a good tune up session the week of a half and even got me an unexpected shiny new PB :D

Session 1
    1-3 mile warm up
    14 x 1 min @ 5k pace with 1 min recovery
    1-3 mile cooldown

If you are judging these by time and not distance I would say set a marker in the first few and try to hit that spot right through the session rather than focus on Garmin paces because with 1 min reps the garmin can tend to throw up a hug amount of disparity over such a short time frame.

Effort wise this session should feel comfortable the first 1/4,getting into a rhythm the next 1/2 and really working to maintain paces on the last few. It's a great session for getting the body used to 5k rhythm with the recoveries being short enough that the cumulative fatigue builds without overcooking it

Session 2
    1-3 mile warm up
    45 minutes @MP
    1-3 mile cooldown
    If you had to pick between the two sessions (with a race on Sunday (10k XC)), which one would you do and how far out would you leave it? Given that I'm probably still carrying quite a bit of marathon-fitness, might I be better off with the 14x1 min?

Meant to say that I also did the session 2, last Friday and found it pretty comfortable. After months of 2 x 20 mins @tempo during marathon training, 5min @HM/10 min @MP/5 min @HMP was always going to be handy enough, but I picked up the pace a little to balance it out a bit.

If you had to pick between the two sessions (with a race on Sunday (10k XC)), which one would you do and how far out would you leave it? Given that I'm probably still carrying quite a bit of marathon-fitness, might I be better off with the 14x1 min?

Meant to say that I also did the session 2, last Friday and found it pretty comfortable. After months of 2 x 20 mins @tempo during marathon training, 5min @HM/10 min @MP/5 min @HMP was always going to be handy enough, but I picked up the pace a little to balance it out a bit.

I would agree with your point regarding the background. I have used both types of sessions specifically the week of a race but the difference was with what one I felt was most specific to the race and what I felt I needed and what would take the least out of the legs, in this case you can use the fartlek style reps for specific XC session to add a bit of turnover without being too taxing but I would pull them back a small bit on pace.

The other session was a handy enough one for sure used it as a tune up session myself but can be a good supplementary session as the Session 1 was fairly demanding so was a way of getting in some quality without overcooking the week.

• Advertisement

I would agree with your point regarding the background. I have used both types of sessions specifically the week of a race but the difference was with what one I felt was most specific to the race and what I felt I needed and what would take the least out of the legs, in this case you can use the fartlek style reps for specific XC session to add a bit of turnover without being too taxing but I would pull them back a small bit on pace.

The other session was a handy enough one for sure used it as a tune up session myself but can be a good supplementary session as the Session 1 was fairly demanding so was a way of getting in some quality without overcooking the week.
    So I've already done the 14x1min @5k (in yesterday's tough wind) and am feeling pretty good today. Was considering hitting the second session tomorrow (45 min @MP), given that it would leave me with 3 full days of recovery/easy running until the race. Think that doing the secon session would be counter-productive?

So I've already done the 14x1min @5k (in yesterday's tough wind) and am feeling pretty good today. Was considering hitting the second session tomorrow (45 min @MP), given that it would leave me with 3 full days of recovery/easy running until the race. Think that doing the secon session would be counter-productive?

Personally the week of the race I would leave it out. You are going to get a long sustained effort in Sunday so why force it. People tend to forget that races themselves are the most specific training sessions you will get so use them as such.

Personally the week of the race I would leave it out. You are going to get a long sustained effort in Sunday so why force it. People tend to forget that races themselves are the most specific training sessions you will get so use them as such.
    Right. Compromise. Will do 20 minutes @mp. :)

Thanks for your continued efforts ecolii.. Any thought on any sessions that might be suitable for this week? Are you taking into account the rising levels of alcohol consumption over the next two weeks? :D

Thanks for your continued efforts ecolii.. Any thought on any sessions that might be suitable for this week? Are you taking into account the rising levels of alcohol consumption over the next two weeks? :D

Next week I will keep it as a technical workout so as to take into account this week. In the mean time this week is a bit more on the speedy side

Session 1

1-3 miles warm up
    3 x (3 x 1 minute (or 300m) @ 1 mile effort with 60 sec recovery) 3-4 min between sets
    1-3 mile cooldown

Session 2

1-3 mile warm up
    4x7 min @ HMP w/2 min recovery
    1-3 mile cooldown

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I'm not sure why but I haven't really read this thread properly until this week, it's pure gold! Thank you very much ECOLII for sharing the wisdom! I'm gonna go back to week one and start this in the new year, once I've finished my own makey-uppy plan for the Ferrycarrig 5.

Hi Ecolii,

I have been busy trying to get back into some quality running over the last few weeks and have found these sessions very useful in putting some structure on my running without getting into another full on training cycle for a target marathon. I have done week 1 and 2 and the first session from week 4......skipped week 3 as the weather was sh*t this evening and I just didn't have the head for keep track of all the reps and variation involved. I will likely jump back to it next week and when I have time to get my head around it a little better. I have found the 2nd sessions each week a little more manageable than the straight speed sessions which is probably an indicator as to where my training has been focused over the last year but I have found the 1st session very satisfying when they are completed. Thanks for keeping these sessions coming and if you any views on specific sessions that would benefit me in January and/or February as I prepare for Raheny and Ballycotton they would be very welcome. Cheers.

Session 1

1-3 miles warm up
    3 x (3 x 1 minute (or 300m) @ 1 mile effort with 60 sec recovery) 3-4 min between sets
    1-3 mile cooldown
    That was fun... Tough, but fun.. I didn't start the reps from a standing start, but rather picked up the pace from 5 seconds out (kind of a rolling start), as I figured the running is more important. Also, the reps were around 300m (55-58 seconds (35 seconds for ~200m)), given the lack of markings on the local cinder track. Certainly physically challenging anyway.

Looking forward to the 4x7 mins @HMP. Just have to factor it into working/drinking plans.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Hi Ecolii,

I have been busy trying to get back into some quality running over the last few weeks and have found these sessions very useful in putting some structure on my running without getting into another full on training cycle for a target marathon. I have done week 1 and 2 and the first session from week 4......skipped week 3 as the weather was sh*t this evening and I just didn't have the head for keep track of all the reps and variation involved. I will likely jump back to it next week and when I have time to get my head around it a little better. I have found the 2nd sessions each week a little more manageable than the straight speed sessions which is probably an indicator as to where my training has been focused over the last year but I have found the 1st session very satisfying when they are completed. Thanks for keeping these sessions coming and if you any views on specific sessions that would benefit me in January and/or February as I prepare for Raheny and Ballycotton they would be very welcome. Cheers.

Sorry about the delay on this

I wouldn't worry about the feeling you are having regarding the sessions to be fair I think most people on boards would be the same for the exact reason that you mentioned. This is one of the points I made previously about all round running athleticism rather than marathon conditioning (as opposed to marathon fitness) you are a product of our enviroment and that is why touch on multiple systems will yield results

In terms of targetting those races I would say still aim to have variety in the training but have it geared between 10k and Marathon paces

To give you a simple plan than of sessions geared towards strength

Week|Session 1|Session 2|
    1|10x2 min @10k pace w/90 rec| 45 min MP|
    2|5x6 min @ HMP w/90 sec rec| 2 hours steady|
    3|8x3 min @ 10k w/ 2 min rec| 50 min MP|
    4|12x1 min @ 10k pace w/ 1 min rec|RAHENY|
    5|4x8 min @ HMP with 2 min rec| 2 hour Progression run
    6|5x4 min @ 10k with 2.30 rec| 55 min MP|
    7|10x1 min hills w/2 min rec| 30 min HMP|
    8|2 hours steady| 3x20 min MP w/2.30 recovery|
    9|5,4,3,2,1 min @ MP,HMP,10k,5k,3k with 2 min rec between all| Ballycotton

With the week that's in it I am going to keep this as accommodating as possible

In terms of session 1 this is more a technical session again but can act as a good warm up so can be used for anyone looking to do the goal mile

Session 1
    20 min progressive (10 min easy, 5 min MP, 5 min HMP),
    1 mile of jog bends/stride straights (if no track available basically 20 sec stride 20 sec jog for 1 mile),
    2x200 at 1 mile pace-800m pace (second one faster) with full recovery (as long as you need),
    100m acceleration (1500m-400m pace)
    150m sprint/float/sprint (mid section hold controlled fast pace)

Session 2
    90-120m steady long run

Happy Christmas :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Ecolii for taking the time to look at this for me. I am to going give these sessions a go starting in w/c 29/12/2014 which is 4 weeks before Raheny. I plan to build them into my 5/6 day running week as follows:
    Monday | Session 1
    Tuesday | 8-10 miles Easy
    Wednesday | 5 miles Recovery
    Thursday | Session 2
    Friday | 5 miles Recovery (some weeks with Strides)
    Saturday | 15 miles Med-Long Run. (will throw in an odd parkrun along the way as part of these)
    Total Weekly mileage | 50+miles.

In terms of session 1 this is more a technical session again but can act as a good warm up so can be used for anyone looking to do the goal mile

Session 1
    1 mile of jog bends/stride straights (if no track available basically 20 sec stride 20 sec jog for 1 mile),
    2x200 at 1 mile pace-800m pace (second one faster) with full recovery (as long as you need),

Session 2
    90-120m steady long run

Cheers. Many Happy Returns!!

Thanks Ecolii for taking the time to look at this for me. I am to going give these sessions a go starting in w/c 29/12/2014 which is 4 weeks before Raheny. I plan to build them into my 5/6 day running week as follows:
    Monday | Session 1
    Tuesday | 4-5 miles recovery
    Wednesday | 8-10 miles Easy
    Thursday | Session 2
    Friday | 7 miles easy (some weeks with Strides)
    Saturday | 12-14 miles Med-Long Run. (will throw in an odd parkrun along the way as part of these)
    Total Weekly mileage | 50+miles.

Some amendments made as a suggestion

- Long run not so long.
    Personally I think that the is more than to be gained during the week by increasing the easy runs by a mile or two.

-Recovery runs
    I think there is no need for 2 recovery days with a day off. Recovery days should be just that (i.e about 1 min to 90 sec slower than easy pace and no more than 45 min). if you need an extra recovery day the week of a race but otherwise there is alot to be said for the cumulative mileage affect in terms of strength

Other than that looks fine, just remember to use the steady long runs the long run rather than try doing two back to back

Session 1

Session 2
    90-120m steady long run

Love it! Thanks much!

(it's like getting no homework on a Friday :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Sorry about the delay on this

I wouldn't worry about the feeling you are having regarding the sessions to be fair I think most people on boards would be the same for the exact reason that you mentioned. This is one of the points I made previously about all round running athleticism rather than marathon conditioning (as opposed to marathon fitness) you are a product of our enviroment and that is why touch on multiple systems will yield results

In terms of targetting those races I would say still aim to have variety in the training but have it geared between 10k and Marathon paces

To give you a simple plan than of sessions geared towards strength

Week|Session 1|Session 2|
    1|10x2 min @10k pace w/90 rec| 45 min MP|
    2|5x6 min @ HMP w/90 sec rec| 2 hours steady|
    3|8x3 min @ 10k w/ 2 min rec| 50 min MP|
    4|12x1 min @ 10k pace w/ 1 min rec|RAHENY|
    5|4x8 min @ HMP with 2 min rec| 2 hour Progression run
    6|5x4 min @ 10k with 2.30 rec| 55 min MP|
    7|10x1 min hills w/2 min rec| 30 min HMP|
    8|2 hours steady| 3x20 min MP w/2.30 recovery|
    9|5,4,3,2,1 min @ MP,HMP,10k,5k,3k with 2 min rec between all| Ballycotton

I've been doing some of the earlier sessions from this thread also. Enjoying the variety so glad to see them still coming. I'll be looking to get the head down again after Christmas and was looking to plan some structure as I've signed up for Ballycotton also. Might give this plan a go too if you guys don't mind.

A quick question about the second sessions. Are they all to be done as part of a long run or are they done separately? (except for the 2 hour runs, which I assume will be the long run).

A quick question about the second sessions. Are they all to be done as part of a long run or are they done separately? (except for the 2 hour runs, which I assume will be the long run).

2nd sessions are separate to Long runs. Ideally you would do a Tues/Fri sessions with Long run on Sunday of no more than 2-2.15 at easy pace

Another week down. Hopefully this weeks session didn't baffle too much :D

Session 1
    1-3 mile warm warm up
    3x (2 min @5k effort, 4 min at 10k effort, 2 min @ 5k effort)
    Recoveries: 2 min between reps, 4 between sets
    1-3 mile cooldown

Session 2
    1 mile warm up
    4x15 min @ MPE w/2.30 jog recovery
    1 mile cooldown

Happy New Year to everyone

Whoops could have sworn I had updated this yesterday (been all over the place this weekend)

Hopefully everyone managed to survive the Christmas holiday a bit better than me :D

This week is as follows

Session 1

1-3 miles warm up,
    4 min @10k effort,
    2-3 min recovery
    30 min progression (starting at easy working down to last 3-5 min @ HMP)
    2-3 min recovery
    1 min @1 mile effort (fast)
    1-3 mile cooldown

This session is a good one for endurance with the initial stimulus just putting a little sting into the legs and from there having to wind up the effort as you go on, in many ways its a good race simulation session in that recovery (hard start, winding up effort and then a finishing kick)

Session 2
    1-3 mile warm up
    2 x(1x3 min, 2x2 min, 3 x 1 min @ 10k effort with 1/2 jog easy recovery) 3 min easy between sets
    1-3 mile cooldown

Great little cross country session, first rep being longest in mentally gets easier as well as allowing you body to tune in the effort a bit better for later session. Though the 1 min reps feel mentally easier when they come around the short recovery makes sure you are working and never really getting a chance to recover

Anyone been racing off these types of sessions over the last while be interested to hear how they get on?

Kicked off my Raheny/Ballycotton plan last week based on your advice and sessions. "Enjoying" the sessions at the moment. First test for me will be in a couple of weeks time. One question. This week has 2hr Steady as Session 2. Based on MP of 06:45 I would be planning on 07:30 as steady pace. Would you see that as the right ballpark? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Kicked off my Raheny/Ballycotton plan last week based on your advice and sessions. "Enjoying" the sessions at the moment. First test for me will be in a couple of weeks time. One question. This week has 2hr Steady as Session 2. Based on MP of 06:45 I would be planning on 07:30 as steady pace. Would you see that as the right ballpark? Thanks.

Sounds about right although I would always encourage people to set a pace range rather than particular time to make allowances for conditions, how you are feeling etc. Setting a hard fast pace rule lends itself to a pass fail perception based on that pace alone. I would say 7.30-7.40 would probably be a better aim

Advertisement