Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Clearlier wrote: »
    Merry Christmas everyone. I'll be travelling over the break (Wales and Ireland) so make take a little longer to reply to any questions but don't hold them back!

Enjoy the time off (if you have it).

Merry Christmas to you too! Have a good one chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Merry Christmas all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

*Target for those who find some of the targets a little soft is to see how many they can manage in one race!

That's a good idea, may do that.

Merry Christmas to all my running chums! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Presents wrapped, waiting for santa, pounds piling on!

8k this morning before breakfast... Garmin went a bit haywire, put my 4th km out in dublin bay! Maybe there was a sleigh interfering with the satellite...

Merry Christmas all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tried the form drills from earlier in the thread. Figured the only way I'd remember them was to bring the phone and watch the youtube video as I was doing them.

I must have looked ridiculous doing them, stopping to watch the next bit of video, doing the next one etc.

Anyway managed to get through them, some of them are a lot trickier than they look but I do think they would of benefit to do once a week or so.

parkrun tomorrow if I am in a fit state to run at 9am.

Tried to run off the effects of the festivities today... 91 min/15k easy-ish pace.

Followed more of Dublin's waterways for this one -- inland along the royal canal to Ashtown then home along the Tolka Valley. Great to have continuous running paths and they were very quiet this morning, not sure I would feel completely secure in some of the more isolated spots but had Murph with me for protection!

Soaked and freezing at the end, feel like I earned another day of self indulgence. :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    parkrun tomorrow if I am in a fit state to run at 9am.

Same here, I am not expecting a god time seems as I have hit the beer hard the last 2 days. The mrs is talking about doing it as well, she does not run much at all.

So I'm planning on doing the m-effort session on the plan this evening. I'm just wondering about this session and what are the benefits of it? I'm trying to understand the purpose of different runs etc so as someone who's not planning a marathon this year I was just curious about this one in particular. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I assume it's there to help build endurance, which is required for anything from 5K up but I'm sure the boss will be along in due course to explain its purpose.

• Advertisement

4 x 4 mins with 3 mins recovery

Never in my life has 4 mins seemed so long and 3 mins seemed so short. Good session though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/234521238

Happy running to everyone here for 2015!

Yep, here's to an injury free 2015 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Happy new year to everyone. Rounded off the year with an easy 5 miler. I think I have around 1200+ miles done for the year. Looking back a year I would never have thought it realistic. Over the year I ran a good few races - several 5kms, mostly parkruns, a 4 miler, a 5 mile race, 2 10 mile races, 3 10kms, 3 half marathons and the DCM. Delighted to have done so many races.
    If 2015 is as good I will be chuffed. Debating whether to run a spring marathon but they are a big commitment and am not sure if I will have the time to commit yet. Otherwise I would hope to do DCM again.

Happy New Year lads and lassies. :D

Like a lot here, 2014 was the first year of proper running for me. There was no blood thankfully, but through sweat I got decent 5K times, tears got me through the marathon. :pac:

688 miles for year end, intend to at least double that starting tomorrow. Might even sneak out tonight for a recovery run. :)

In 2015 I'm going to work on 5K and 10K times, possibly a half marathon or two. At the moment I have no intention of running DCM 2015 due to the problems it has caused since. I regret nothing but 2016 might be the year to pound about Dublin again. We'll see ;)

Once again, thanks to the running mammy Ososlo, the marathon training cycle was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. Not everyone can join a club so to have the support on here was immensely helpful. What a successful thread. It just shows with a bit of hard work and somewhere to talk about it with other head the balls, you can hit your potential.

Here's to 2015.
    Blein Vie Noa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Happy new year everyone! I'm actually glad to see the back of Christmas as I can get back to the normal routine. I've managed to get out and do my sessions properly this week which makes a change!

I did the goal mile on Christmas day and did a disappointing 7.33. I was hoping for nearer 7 but then again it was the first time I did a mile. I almost missed the start and spent a few seconds messing with my watch trying to reset it. Then my hair band almost fell out so I had to take it out and redo it while running! When I finished I was temped to run it again as I know I could do better. Ah well at least I have an easy enough goal to beat! My average heart rate was 182 (Max is 192) so maybe I just wasn't pushing hard enough.

Here's to a new year full of pb's!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

This very night last year I told someone I would complete the 2014 Dublin Marathon never thinking I actually would do it..
    Happy new year to all and here's to even more running achievements in 2015.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Casey78 wrote: »
    This very night last year I told someone I would complete the 2014 Dublin Marathon never thinking I actually would do it..
    Happy new year to all and here's to even more running achievements in 2015.!

Now that you say it, if you told me this time last year I would do DMC I would have laughed! I couldn't have even done the goal mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Happy new year everyone. You've achieved an awful lot in a year, you'll achieve an awful lot more this year if you keep working at it.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    So I'm planning on doing the m-effort session on the plan this evening. I'm just wondering about this session and what are the benefits of it? I'm trying to understand the purpose of different runs etc so as someone who's not planning a marathon this year I was just curious about this one in particular. Thanks :)

Short answer: It's part of your aerobic development.

Brief slightly sketchy physiology explanation:
    The body has three energy systems, one which lasts about 3-5 seconds (whose name I can't recall at the moment), your anaerobic energy system and your aerobic system. I came across something a few days ago which said that 1 minute of maximal effort running uses 50% aerobic and 50% anaerobic energy (the first system is often ignored in calculations for non-sprint distances as it is so short lived).

The point is I suppose that for anything that takes longer than a minute to run your dominant energy system is your aerobic one. Given what we run it makes sense to focus mostly on aerobic development which is what we're doing although keeping in touch with the others via the hills and other shorter stuff.

Within aerobic development I think of a number of different efforts/paces.

Recovery run is at an aerobic effort but it's purpose is not to further your aerobic development but to help you recover from a hard run and prepare you for your next hard run.

Easy running is about developing your aerobic capacity and is where the bulk of your running should be done. If you think of running training as being like a pyramid this is the base of the pyramid.

Marathon effort is a higher level aerobic effort. Strictly speaking it's actually a little faster than marathon pace. It's the pace that you can run at for 2 hours (assuming that you're well trained). I leave the description as marathon pace because it's better to err on the side of caution at this stage of training. A little too slow will have a very minor impact, a little too fast can have a much bigger negative impact. The heart rate bands in the log are a good guide for effort too.

Lactate Threshold effort is another level again. It's the pace that you can hold for 1 hour (again assuming that you're well trained). The purpose of the last 2 is to boost your aerobic development. You can't do too much of either or you'll get tired/stale/plateau but when done in appropriate amounts on top of lots of easier running it really does turbo charge your development.

Esteemed coaches have postulated that you can get the aerobic development just through easy running albeit via vast quantities of it but most agree that the best/quickest development is achieved through running at a variety of efforts. Lots of just easy running over many months often in my experience leads to biomechanical issues which rear their ugly head as soon as you try to run faster which is another reason to vary the paces.

Hope this all makes sense and that I haven't gone into too much detail. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Happy New Year to you too coach :)

Looking forward to looking back at this years progress.

• Advertisement

Happy new year everyone. You've achieved an awful lot in a year, you'll achieve an awful lot more this year if you keep working at it.

Short answer: It's part of your aerobic development.

Brief slightly sketchy physiology explanation:
    The body has three energy systems, one which lasts about 3-5 seconds (whose name I can't recall at the moment), your anaerobic energy system and your aerobic system. I came across something a few days ago which said that 1 minute of maximal effort running uses 50% aerobic and 50% anaerobic energy (the first system is often ignored in calculations for non-sprint distances as it is so short lived).

The point is I suppose that for anything that takes longer than a minute to run your dominant energy system is your aerobic one. Given what we run it makes sense to focus mostly on aerobic development which is what we're doing although keeping in touch with the others via the hills and other shorter stuff.

Within aerobic development I think of a number of different efforts/paces.

Recovery run is at an aerobic effort but it's purpose is not to further your aerobic development but to help you recover from a hard run and prepare you for your next hard run.

Easy running is about developing your aerobic capacity and is where the bulk of your running should be done. If you think of running training as being like a pyramid this is the base of the pyramid.

Marathon effort is a higher level aerobic effort. Strictly speaking it's actually a little faster than marathon pace. It's the pace that you can run at for 2 hours (assuming that you're well trained). I leave the description as marathon pace because it's better to err on the side of caution at this stage of training. A little too slow will have a very minor impact, a little too fast can have a much bigger negative impact. The heart rate bands in the log are a good guide for effort too.

Lactate Threshold effort is another level again. It's the pace that you can hold for 1 hour (again assuming that you're well trained). The purpose of the last 2 is to boost your aerobic development. You can't do too much of either or you'll get tired/stale/plateau but when done in appropriate amounts on top of lots of easier running it really does turbo charge your development.

Esteemed coaches have postulated that you can get the aerobic development just through easy running albeit via vast quantities of it but most agree that the best/quickest development is achieved through running at a variety of efforts. Lots of just easy running over many months often in my experience leads to biomechanical issues which rear their ugly head as soon as you try to run faster which is another reason to vary the paces.

Hope this all makes sense and that I haven't gone into too much detail. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Happy new year to you and everyone else. Thank you - that makes perfect sense actually - just the right level of detail without getting me lost in technicality :o And that fits with my average pace when I did the session. I did it by the HR bands but I thought I was doing it wrong as the pace was quicker than my marathon pace, was closer to half marathon probably.

So, another question if you don't mind so (you'll regret saying that :D), does that mean that the other runs (tempo, fartleks, 5k segments) fall into the lactate threshold category?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Been meaning to ask this question since before Christmas. I've a 5k coming up on the 31st of January and hoping to knock about a minute off my time (from 21.07 to 20ish, possibly over-ambitious but anyway). Ive done the 5k intervals on the plan up to now, doing the 4 * 4 mins later this week and the 4 * 5 mins in a couple of weeks. I've hit the target paces in these and plan to go a little bit faster on the next two outings. Is this sufficient 5k specific work or is there another session or two I could pop in there over the next month? Also, should the intervals be done at target race 5k pace or is it a good idea to go faster/ slower than race pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have found the 3 x 1 mile intervals a great prep for a 5k. Run them hard but sustainably hard, so that the 3rd rep is close to the same time as your 1st rep. It is a tough session but gives you a good balance between speed and endurance work. You would want to do it about 10 days before the race so your legs would be fresh. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Been meaning to ask this question since before Christmas. I've a 5k coming up on the 31st of January and hoping to knock about a minute off my time (from 21.07 to 20ish, possibly over-ambitious but anyway). Ive done the 5k intervals on the plan up to now, doing the 4 * 4 mins later this week and the 4 * 5 mins in a couple of weeks. I've hit the target paces in these and plan to go a little bit faster on the next two outings. Is this sufficient 5k specific work or is there another session or two I could pop in there over the next month? Also, should the intervals be done at target race 5k pace or is it a good idea to go faster/ slower than race pace?
    Hey, best of luck! I don't think your target is over ambitious, with marathon training under your belt you should be grand. No harm in being ambitious (but only you know if it's realistic!) I really like this article, I first came across it from a boardsie a while ago:http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle?page=single

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hey, best of luck! I don't think your target is over ambitious, with marathon training under your belt you should be grand. No harm in being ambitious (but only you know if it's realistic!) I really like this article, I first came across it from a boardsie a while ago:http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle?page=single

Thanks for that. I remember reading that, probably should have paid more attention first time around, some really good stuff there.

Happy New Year all.

I was just looking at my garmin profile, In 2014 I ran 2,691km. Some stats (I like stats)

Activities 211
    Distance 2,690.87 km
    Time 256:16:36 hrs
    Calories 246,783 C
    Elev Gain 9,097 m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Don't forget the 2015 1,000 mile challenge folks. Some of you might not be familiar with it. Just add your name and start logging the mileage.

Looking forward to watching you all smash your pbs in 2015!
    Great to see so many of you start logs too!
    Here's to 2015!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Happy new year to you and everyone else. Thank you - that makes perfect sense actually - just the right level of detail without getting me lost in technicality :o And that fits with my average pace when I did the session. I did it by the HR bands but I thought I was doing it wrong as the pace was quicker than my marathon pace, was closer to half marathon probably.

So, another question if you don't mind so (you'll regret saying that :D), does that mean that the other runs (tempo, fartleks, 5k segments) fall into the lactate threshold category?

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the question.

Tempo runs address your lactate threshold most directly but there's an argument that all runs at tempo pace or slower contribute to improving your lactate threshold pace but from a performance point of view you need to have some training at a faster pace (not just easy) to be able to take full advantage of that (one of the reasons for having an off season is that you can do most of your running at slower paces and not worry about the short term impact on racing).

Fartlek is a way of getting in some faster running in an enjoyable way, it takes the pressure off to hit certain paces or efforts and it should be straightforward to tailor your effort to account for how you're feeling. I think that it's a good workout for a down week but am interested in any feedback on how people find it.

5k segments are designed more to help with your VO2 max which is a measure of your body's maximal ability to convert oxygen into energy. They will use your aerobic system but their purpose is to stimulate your anaerobic energy system. The plan that I've written introduces it very gradually so that the first few sessions barely touch it but do give you leg turnover benefits as well as helping the body adapt to running at a faster pace and the sessions towards the end have a bigger impact on it.

I'm glossing over a lot of stuff in the above and a physiologist would probably have a canary if they read it but hopefully it makes sense from a training point of view. I think that it's important to know what you don't know and I don't know physiology. I mostly use the terms as a shorthand to communicate about training and it shouldn't be understood as anything more than an attempt to explain how to complete training.

Again any more questions don't hesitate.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Dubgal72 wrote: »

If you look at the plan in the link and look at the plan I posted you'll see an awful lot of similarities! I did mention it right back at the beginning but I've used that plan as the basis for what we're doing here. It has been tweaked to make it more suitable for people who are recent converts to running and have completed a marathon (i.e. most of the DCM novices) but the principles behind it are similar.

In terms of the 5k race I'd recommend continuing to follow the plan, do a mini-taper the week of the race and take a few easy days afterwards. You may surprise yourself but even if you don't break 20 this time it will be a matter of time aligned to consistent training.

If you really want to focus on this race to the exclusion of longer term development then pick out the 5k sessions from the plan and just do them for the next few weeks. Don't go more than a couple of seconds a km faster than goal pace for any of the intervals. Going faster is more likely to cause injury than make you fitter.

For the race itself make sure that you warm up thoroughly. This is not a marathon where you can and should use the first few miles to warm up. You need to be fully warmed up, jogging progressing to faster running, drills and strides should all be on the menu for a warm up that brings you to the line ready to go.

Then you need to ease into the race. Let everyone go past you at the start, pick it up to goal pace after a few hundred metres. If it's a big race the crowd around you will steady fairly quickly with a couple of people shooting past in either direction. The effort is easy at first so resist the temptation to speed up. Try and identify somebody going at your pace and work with them particularly if there's a wind. You'll be working but still feeling ok at the halfway point and probably already have started to overtake a few early optimists. If you feel that you can hold the pace to the end then continue to hold it as your effort levels rise. If it feels like you could pick it up a little then do but only at a pace that you can sustain until the end of the race. Do a long kick for home, gradually winding up the pace until you're sprinting for the last 150 to 200 metres feeling like your heart is trying to jump out of your chest. Cross over the finish line and (hopefully) savour your shiny new PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Clearlier,

What advice would you give / tweaks to the plan perhaps would you make to prepare for a half marathon race. I'm entering the bohermeen half in early March so I will be looking at goal racing sooner than you will have goal specific plans sorted. I'm trying to balance the building on the fitness already gained and the further base building that the current plan does with the hope of running a good half (relatively speaking of course :D)

From what I understand of the plan you wold advocate replacing the tuesday session with alternating tempo and marathon pace each week which would be either side of HMP. Would it be beneficial to throw in HMP miles within the LSR at the weekend or am I better off leaving that 100% easy ?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement