Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I think you should put the word 'sub' next to those targets! :)

As in you can substitute someone else to run for you??? :D I pick Dubgal :P

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hehe annapr :) Those targets are pretty much what I was thinking. Anyone any suggestions for the other distances? 7 min mile or 6 min 1500? The first is probably within reach for most but the second (6 min 1500) could be a stickier target...

I don't have any idea about times below 5k... but those both sound sticky!!! Have to have some challenges on there though :)

Some suggestions here... and plenty of gaps!

Name|400m<? secs|800m<?min|1500m <6 min|1 mile<7 min|3k<12min|5k<25min|5mile<40min|10k<50m|10miles<90min|Half Marathon<120mins|Marathon<240min|50k <24 hrs :)

a||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||
    c||| |||| |||
    d||| |||| |||

[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »

Name|400m<? secs|800m<?min|1500m <6 min|1 mile<7 min|3k<12min|5k<25min|5mile<40min|10k<50m|10miles<90min|Half Marathon<120mins|Marathon<240min|50k <24 hrs :)

a||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||
    c||| |||| |||
    d||| |||| |||

[/QUOTE]

Annapr as a rough guide I can do 400m in 1:50 so aiming for 1:30 might be possible?, my 1 mile time would be 8 mins although this is while running a 2 mile race so I'd be happy to aim for 7 mins. Dubgal what do you think? too slow? Have no idea about the others though and how do we get those times without races in those distances? Just do a time trial ourselves? On the track or on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Oh sign me up for this too DG, great idea, and like that the targets might be achievable as the main thread is far too scary for a very slow runner such as myself! Great to have targets to work towards for the new year :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

a||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||
    c||| |||| |||
    d||| |||| |||

[/quote]

Very intriguing. Some of those line up with possible goals I'm thinking of too. Would be good to have a few of us aiming for similar things and a bit of group motivation going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

chickey2 wrote: »
    That sounds like a great idea dubgal72. I'd seen those threads but I'm so far off any of those goals I didn't want to put my name down, but I'd love to aim for some during 2015.
    Think I'll do the goal mile on Christmas day. I've never run on a track or done a mile so its a good opportunity to give it a go. No chance of me doing it less than 6 minutes, I'll be happy with 7. So has anyone any advice on a mile run? I was going to do a couple of km at easy to warm up then a few strides. Should I do drills as well? Once I start should I try and keep an even pace or start out slow and speed up? The shortest race I've ever done is 5k so I always start off slow.
    I only got out twice this week due to a long list of excuses. Got out today but the wind was really strong and I struggled to keep my heart rate under 160. Usually my easy runs would be 150. The slower I went the more annoyed I got with the wind and the higher my heart rate went so I gave up after 8k. No point in getting angry with the wind!
    Shortest day of the year today so I'm looking forward to more running time!

Good call on binning the run if you're getting that frustrated with the wind but make sure that you have a plan for how you're going to handle it next time it happens (given that it's Ireland there won't be many days with no wind!).

The warm up for a mile race is quite different to that for races that are 10k or longer. Unlike in a longer race you need to be fully warmed up and ready to move at high speed at the start of a mile race so 15 - 20 mins jog, drills and strides are all good things to do. If you must stretch then make sure that it's dynamic*.

Try to run a mile race as evenly as possible, that means a progressive effort - this means that you'll find the first lap quite doable, the second lap a bit harder, the third lap you'll be fighting the desire/need to slow down and the fourth lap you'll find very, very hard.

Keep your shoulders relaxed as you're coming down the home straight and keep your arms moving.

Mentally you need to visualise how you're going to run the race, imagine the pain of the third lap and how you're going to relax your way through it embracing the pain as your friend, smiling as you know that it can't stop you and then imagine the point where you kick for home, know what you're going to do as the tunnel vision develops down the finishing straight and power your way over the line. :)

*Static stretching will slow you down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

I added "2015 Round Numbers" tab to our Mileage Tracker.

Some might prefer the endless tables off the main thread.

Feel free to edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar6olCTLXB5ndFcta1g0aGVhZmtRczdEWkZwV0VmTWc&usp=sharing

Feel free to edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar6olCTLXB5ndFcta1g0aGVhZmtRczdEWkZwV0VmTWc&usp=sharing

Good man, S! I find those endless tables a head wreck. Although I do count it as a 2014 achievement that I know how to do them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

As in you can substitute someone else to run for you??? :D I pick Dubgal :P
    :D:D:D

a||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||
    c||| |||| |||
    d||| |||| |||

[/QUOTE]

Annapr as a rough guide I can do 400m in 1:50 so aiming for 1:30 might be possible?, my 1 mile time would be 8 mins although this is while running a 2 mile race so I'd be happy to aim for 7 mins. Dubgal what do you think? too slow? Have no idea about the others though and how do we get those times without races in those distances? Just do a time trial ourselves? On the track or on the road?[/QUOTE]
    Well I thinks as it is 'our' table, we can pretty make up the rules. I think a time trial would be acceptable. We could also arrange local meets for shorter distances in the spring and summer at a track, sort of like a race conditions training session. 1:30 for 400m sounds good. I'd be inclined to peel back the 3k to 13 mins as the 1500m is at 6 mins. What do ye all think?
    Mimojo wrote: »
    Oh sign me up for this too DG, great idea, and like that the targets might be achievable as the main thread is far too scary for a very slow runner such as myself! Great to have targets to work towards for the new year :-)

Very intriguing. Some of those line up with possible goals I'm thinking of too. Would be good to have a few of us aiming for similar things and a bit of group motivation going on.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the table annapr and S, really pleased this is going to be something people want to do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Argh sorry if my replies aren't very clear, my ipad and boards do not get on!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Well I thinks as it is 'our' table, we can pretty make up the rules. I think a time trial would be acceptable. We could also arrange local meets for shorter distances in the spring and summer at a track, sort of like a race conditions training session. 1:30 for 400m sounds good. I'd be inclined to peel back the 3k to 13 mins as the 1500m is at 6 mins. What do ye all think?

Tidying up Dubgal's post a little :D.

I think that this is a great idea. It might be worth considering allowing multiple targets to be hit in the same race*, e.g. the 10 mile target could quite readily be hit in a half.

*Target for those who find some of the targets a little soft is to see how many they can manage in one race!

So when I did my own max heart rate test a few weeks back it came out at 190. I did a parkrun at the weekend and really went for it, max hr came out at 200 which was at the end when I was busting for the finish. Should I take it as the 200 figure now for the purpose of the calculations?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    So when I did my own max heart rate test a few weeks back it came out at 190. I did a parkrun at the weekend and really went for it, max hr came out at 200 which was at the end when I was busting for the finish. Should I take it as the 200 figure now for the purpose of the calculations?

Yes if you think that it's an accurate figure. Can you look at the heart rate trend with your watch? If it's a garmin for example you'll see the heart rate gradually increasing with the rate at which it increases slowing down until it plateau's at the end.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Yes if you think that it's an accurate figure. Can you look at the heart rate trend with your watch? If it's a garmin for example you'll see the heart rate gradually increasing with the rate at which it increases slowing down until it plateau's at the end.

I don't remember seeing those details before but I'll look again on the laptop later. I know it wasn't a random spike, it was increasing during the race and this figure came after gradual increases at the end when I was going for the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Good call on binning the run if you're getting that frustrated with the wind but make sure that you have a plan for how you're going to handle it next time it happens (given that it's Ireland there won't be many days with no wind!).

The warm up for a mile race is quite different to that for races that are 10k or longer. Unlike in a longer race you need to be fully warmed up and ready to move at high speed at the start of a mile race so 15 - 20 mins jog, drills and strides are all good things to do. If you must stretch then make sure that it's dynamic*.

Try to run a mile race as evenly as possible, that means a progressive effort - this means that you'll find the first lap quite doable, the second lap a bit harder, the third lap you'll be fighting the desire/need to slow down and the fourth lap you'll find very, very hard.

Keep your shoulders relaxed as you're coming down the home straight and keep your arms moving.

Mentally you need to visualise how you're going to run the race, imagine the pain of the third lap and how you're going to relax your way through it embracing the pain as your friend, smiling as you know that it can't stop you and then imagine the point where you kick for home, know what you're going to do as the tunnel vision develops down the finishing straight and power your way over the line. :)

*Static stretching will slow you down

Thanks for the great advice. I'm kind of looking forward to giving it a go!

I've added my name to the round numbers sheet and put my half marathon result it. It's the only race I properly trained for so I'm hoping if I start training again properly I can add a few more!

I don't remember seeing those details before but I'll look again on the laptop later. I know it wasn't a random spike, it was increasing during the race and this figure came after gradual increases at the end when I was going for the finish

You've just described exactly what I'd be looking for in a graph. Given this I think that you can reasonably assume that 200 is a Max HR that you can work with.

You've just described exactly what I'd be looking for in a graph. Given this I think that you can reasonably assume that 200 is a Max HR that you can work with.

Great, thanks. Sorry - I got that from looking at the graph, I thought you meant there was some stat function to show the rate of the increase...oops! Thanks for all the help so far.

Great, thanks. Sorry - I got that from looking at the graph, I thought you meant there was some stat function to show the rate of the increase...oops! Thanks for all the help so far.

I laughed. Sorry, my use of language isn't always as clear as it might be (hence the username).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, Fartlek, should there be any structure at all or is it simply making it up as you go along sort of, faster running for a bit, recover for a bit, easy pace for a bit etc?

• Advertisement

I laughed. Sorry, my use of language isn't always as clear as it might be (hence the username).

No not at all - my brain is goggled from a mental week at work! :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    So, Fartlek, should there be any structure at all or is it simply making it up as you go along sort of, faster running for a bit, recover for a bit, easy pace for a bit etc?

Fartlek is Swedish for speed play. The play bit was what was foremost in my mind when I put it into the schedule so have a bit of fun with it, make sure that you vary your pace and that some of it is fast. If you're feeling good and you normally never sprint then you could try the following:

Find a pitch/court
    warm up for 10 - 15 mins including strides

Sprint a quarter of the length of the pitch, turn and sprint back. Turn and jog the distance that you just sprinted (there and back).

Repeat the above but vary the distance to half way, three quarters of the way and then full length or whatever distance suits you. If you have the time and inclination you can bring it back down again (three quarters - half - quarter).

I put this into the down week so that those who are feeling a bit tired can take it easy whereas those who are feeling pretty good can push themselves a little bit so gauge how you're feeling before you decide on what to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK, I'll probably just be doing this on the footpath in the local housing estate, so I'll probably try just varying the paces, including some short sprints and some longer distances at 5-10K pace etc. Have fun with it I guess will be the target.

OK, so out I went, 10 min warm up then various periods of faster running ranging from short sprints, e.g to the next lamppost, or to the next turn off etc or else temp paced or slightly faster for a certain time, e.g 3 mins or 5 mins o whatever. Finished with 10 mins easy running as a warm down. 60 mins total.

Not sure if that was correct but hopefully it was broadly correct.

Interesting HR/pace data there on strava:

http://www.strava.com/activities/232233231

OK, so out I went, 10 min warm up then various periods of faster running ranging from short sprints, e.g to the next lamppost, or to the next turn off etc or else temp paced or slightly faster for a certain time, e.g 3 mins or 5 mins o whatever. Finished with 10 mins easy running as a warm down. 60 mins total.

Not sure if that was correct but hopefully it was broadly correct.

Interesting HR/pace data there on strava:

http://www.strava.com/activities/232233231

Did you have fun? :)

Yes, but a very strange kind of fun, not the kind of fun most people would understand.

Anyone else do this session?

Yes, but a very strange kind of fun, not the kind of fun most people would understand.

No, I'm a couple of weeks behind. But I am enjoying the other sessions I've done so far, the tempo and 5k segments so I'll look forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

LOL! Yes I gave it a go this morning. I had my watch on but didn't look at it. I did lots of short sprints and just ran whatever speed I felt like it between. It was windy again today but didn't bother me as I wasn't aiming for a particular pace or heart rate. Ended up doing 9.2k in 59:09 which included warm up and cool down so I was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Whoohoo....I am off the bench!! My IT band problems seem to be behind me, fingers crossed. Went to a physio for 3 sessions and he fixed me 90% of the way but needed to go to a bone cruncher (Chiropractor) for 2 more sessions (ouch ouch), he reckons that I had a 'sprained joint' in my pelvis/hip due to probably hitting a path too hard and that was causing a muscle (Latin sounding name...Piriformus) problems and this was causing the IT band to be sore.

Anywho...with a truck load of stretching....I am back running (handy pace for now) 7/8K on the flat and no pain which is great. Really looking forward to the Christmas break, sticking on the new Asics (Christmas pressie) and clocking up a few miles in order to keep the lb's off. Now I am going to enter the Rahey 5 in January as planned...2015 bring it on ;)

Have a great Christmas guys !!

• Advertisement

Merry Christmas everyone. I'll be travelling over the break (Wales and Ireland) so make take a little longer to reply to any questions but don't hold them back!

Enjoy the time off (if you have it).

Advertisement