Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »

As the person who set up the frist ladies table a few years ago, I hope it gets a lot more attention next year!!

Never fear... Dubgal is here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ososlo wrote: »
    I dunno about 'very achievable' and 'doable' Dubgal. For you and a couple of other females on Boards, yes, you could realistically reach all/most of those within a year. The majority of us are a good bit behind that however for different reasons (only recently took up the sport/no history of partaking in any previous exercise etc). The Half Marathon is a very difficult target imo.
    It's great to have something to aspire to but I'm at least a year away from achieving most of those targets and I'd imagine a lot of the females on this thread would be the same (24, 25, 26 min 5kers).
    The 800m is definitely the easiest target there though and as menoscemo said before, most people could have a good chance of hitting that one.
    Even I am not a million miles away from it and that's saying something!
    It's great to see such enthusiasm for the table! FINALLY:D:D:D

I don't think the HM or 5 mile are too bad but the 10 km and 5 km are beyond me I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I would Rank them (from easiest to hardest)

1. 800m sub 3
    2. 5 Mile sub 35
    3. HM sub 100
    4. 3k Sub 12
    5. 1 Mile sub 6
    6. 10 Mile sub 70
    7. Marathon sub 200
    8. 5k Sub 20
    9. 400m sub 70 seconds
    10. 10k sub 40

Obviously there are people who will excell at sprints over long distance, e.g. someone might find the sub 70 400m easy but find it impossible to run a sub 1:40 HM or a sub 35 5mile.

As the person who set up the frist ladies table a few years ago, I hope it gets a lot more attention next year!!
    I think you are spot on with your ranking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I don't think the HM or 5 mile are too bad but the 10 km and 5 km are beyond me I think!
    That's the beauty of it, I think every athlete on here will be able to fill in at least two boxes by the end of 2015. Hopefully no-one will be intimidated into thinking they have to tick all...

Never fear... Dubgal is here:D
    Haha beware of the monsters you create!

• Advertisement

And for a complete change of subject....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93375015#post93375015

Tada! Well done Ososlo!!

(Sorry, haven't figured how to link proficiently/professionally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

The Half Marathon is a very difficult target imo.

And the 5k ... ouch!
    The 800m is definitely the easiest target there though and as menoscemo said before, most people could have a good chance of hitting that one.

Would it need to be done on a track that one? MY 650m pace was not toooooo far off achieving that, at least before my layoff. Would love to get a single mile under 6mins but that's a good while away for me.

And the 5k ... ouch!

Would it need to be done on a track that one? MY 650m pace was not toooooo far off achieving that, at least before my layoff. Would love to get a single mile under 6mins but that's a good while away for me.

Not sure of the rules for previous years but I reckon those ticking off in 2015 can consensually agree standards and conditions. If you do a fast 800m on road, cinder or grass...fair play to you!I think a time trial was ok last year too. Personally, I'd be ok with an honour system

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Not sure of the rules for previous years but I reckon those ticking off in 2015 can consensually agree standards and conditions. If you do a fast 800m on road, cinder or grass...fair play to you!I think a time trial was ok last year too. Personally, I'd be ok with an honour system

yes a time trial was fine last year for the shorter distances.
    I think the rules have to be the same as for the guys' table and I think they (shorter distances) have to be done on a track.

And the 5k ... ouch!

well they're all pretty much 'ouch' to me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

well they're all pretty much 'ouch' to me:D

Now I didn't mean the others looked easy ;) ....

(I'm a bit obsessed with the 5k myself I've had trouble progressing that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Loving the recent enthusiasm, dubgal - are you getting paid commission for every log set up?? ;) will be keeping an eye on the progress for the round numbers, think I'm a good way from there but maybe a longer term goal!

I've had to scale back on the plan a bit recently due to the life busyness mentioned on my own log. finding the heart rate training a different kind of challenge, different discipline required. So my mileage is low at the moment due to the slow pace and everything else. Will pick up the plan next week where I left off. So I only had a couple of weeks doing it properly but so far I've been enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    That's the beauty of it, I think every athlete on here will be able to fill in at least two boxes by the end of 2015. Hopefully no-one will be intimidated into thinking they have to tick all...

You have got to be kidding me!!! Oh wait, you said ATHLETE... I could do a +5 on some of them... And a +100 on others

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm not doing a very good job of following the plan though I am filling in the mileage tracker. Tonight I did a club session which I think is a good sub for the 5K pace session prescribed in the plan.

I'll follow the easy runs for the next 2 days and maybe do the hill sprints on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I LOVE running, in that weather.

I was to start the plan tonight and do the HR test but completely forgot about it. Diet and exercise are going well so thought it would be a good time to start.
    I'm finally back! Up until Sunday I had only logged 26.2 miles, interesting. Will update the log now as I ran Sat (7m), Sun (3.2m), Mon (5m), rest Tues as thought I was getting a dose, and now back in from a super 5 mile. All runs are done by feel and all about 9 min mile or less so am happy with that. Would hope to get my longest run to 10 done this weekend.
    Hoping for an amazing result on the scales on Sat as also walking 10,000 steps a day so a good walk at lunch and then dog walk in the evenings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can someone explain tonights session to me? It's been on the plan for a few weeks so I assume most have done it at this stage.

"warm up, drills then 7 short hill sprints (6-8 seconds full recovery) and warm down."

What is meant by drills? Sorry if I missed something earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can someone explain tonights session to me? It's been on the plan for a few weeks so I assume most have done it at this stage.

"warm up, drills then 7 short hill sprints (6-8 seconds full recovery) and warm down."

What is meant by drills? Sorry if I missed something earlier in the thread.

on this page Adrian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93109441

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

very jealous of all the running going on here :-) rehab going well though, have been sticking to the 30 day challenge, doing lots of new calf & achilles stretches, balance drills etc. Foot is feeling good and no longer sore to walk on, yay. I am finding it very hard to work up any sort of cardio stress on the bike & cross trainer at the gym though, I wore my hear rate monitor last night to see just how bad it is and sure enough the highest I was getting to was 112-115 so really need to work on finding a balance between speed and resistance that will raise my HR. Hilariously I'm there plugging away like a mad thing and the girl beside me is reading her magazine, another one walking on the treadmill also reading a magazine... the sooner I can get back out on the road the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well everyone.. Havnt popped my head in here since DCM. Haven't done much running either due to study.. but i'm free again from next Friday and def looking for another go at the 26.2 in the new year..

Any suggestions for a marathon around March/April? Doesn't have to be a huge city one! But looking to stay in Ireland!

I really want something to put me back on a plan!

Is the intention to do all those drills before every run or just where there is fast running involved?

I've decided to take today off. I was feeling a bit of a niggle over the last 2 runs and want to back off a bit and see if it improves. Don't like missing a run but I want to do my 90 min run tomorrow and wouldn't be a good idea doing that after session today.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure they're for the quality sessions and races?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is the intention to do all those drills before every run or just where there is fast running involved?

I've decided to take today off. I was feeling a bit of a niggle over the last 2 runs and want to back off a bit and see if it improves. Don't like missing a run but I want to do my 90 min run tomorrow and wouldn't be a good idea doing that after session today.

As Dubgal said but you can also do them if you feel like an off day and just want to work on your form. The Friday sessions are not too taxing, the focus should be more on good running form and in truth shouldn't leave you too tired.

Clearlier wrote: »
    As Dubgal said but you can also do them if you feel like an off day and just want to work on your form. The Friday sessions are not too taxing, the focus should be more on good running form and in truth shouldn't leave you too tired.
    Funny that, this post reminded me to refresh them and was working my way through them (truncated version, kitchen not that big!) while watching the clip. I really felt energised after them and loosened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just back from 45 mins easy along the sea front. Footpaths a bit slippy on the way out, was glad of the grass.

It was the usual seafront 2 seasons in one run... Sunny and warm on the way out and a freezing wind on the way back! For once I had to add layers in the second half!

Felt great, 7.76km in 45:46, avg 5:54km/min.

Must try one of the sessions here one of these days!

I got my long run in this morning, up to Marlay, 1 lap and back home. a little over 10 miles. love running in this weather.

I don't know why but I seem to run quicker on the weekend long run than the mid week easy runs. maybe it's because of the daylight.

I'm a couple of weeks behind so I'll only be doing the 60 min with 20 min tempo session this week.

Dopey question here but how do I go about this? Is it 20 min easy, 20 tempo and then 20 easy to finish off? And what kind of pace is the tempo to be done at? Sorry if I missed this back thread, went looking but couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I'm a couple of weeks behind so I'll only be doing the 60 min with 20 min tempo session this week.

Dopey question here but how do I go about this? Is it 20 min easy, 20 tempo and then 20 easy to finish off? And what kind of pace is the tempo to be done at? Sorry if I missed this back thread, went looking but couldn't see it.
    Tempo pace is a broad term but generally it's halfway between HMP and 10k pace. Jack Daniels says 24 sec slower than your 5k pace and some people refer to it as the pace you could hold for 1 hour. I'd say any of those would do :)

Tempo pace is a broad term but generally it's halfway between HMP and 10k pace. Jack Daniels says 24 sec slower than your 5k pace and some people refer to it as the pace you could hold for 1 hour. I'd say any of those would do :)

Thanks career move. It seems to be a term with different interpretations alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

laura_ac3 wrote: »

Hi laura,

Careermove is correct about how broadly defined 'tempo' can be. I think of it in terms of roughly the pace that you could hold for an hour. If you have a heart rate monitor then keep it within the range prescribed on the mileage tracker. If you haven't then I describe the effort as being the level at which you could say a few words to someone but you wouldn't want to have a conversation.

You should do at least 10 minutes warm up before hitting tempo pace but how you organise it otherwise is up to you. I don't like doing much after the tempo section so I prefer to do something like 35 mins easy, 20 mins tempo, 5 mins easy with the last 5 mins of the first easy part progressing into the tempo effort but do whatever suits you best.

• Advertisement

It will be tough to get the runs in this week I think, out Tuesday and Thursday nights. Might try and get the marathon pace run ddone tonight and then get some easy miles in at lunchtime tomorrow.

Advertisement