Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Tattoos be banned till over 40

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I've seen people with Love Hate tattoos.

:eek: Nooo!? :eek:

See what you're getting at, but on the other hand you could see it like an archaeology of your past I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pod73

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I have two High German Style font tattoos. Look to Hieronymous Bosch's The Stone Operation - great font!

Thanks for the ideas. Must have a look at them. What colour do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

DubVelo wrote: »
    :eek: Nooo!? :eek:

See what you're getting at, but on the other hand you could see it like an archaeology of your past I suppose.

Yes - live in a working class area - this girl in take away - on top of each arse cheek.

LOVE ---- HATE

Like if she got it 3 years ago would it be Downton Abbey - or maybe that is what they have in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Yes - live in a working class area - this girl in take away - on top of each arse cheek.

LOVE ---- HATE

Like if she got it 3 years ago would it be Downton Abbey

Love - hate has been a subject of tattooing for a long time, definitely longer than the show has been on.

Its the traditional knuckle tat.

Love - hate has been a subject of tattooing for a long time, definitely longer than the show has been on.

Yes - I'd say he got the name for show from that ,

But - just had a feeling was inspired from show. Couple of the criminal lads from Dublin from around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I got a Glenroe tattoo , and of course the next year RTE cut the show.

So you need to be careful with this sort of thing

guarantee some dude has an x-factor one.

Yep girl - of last years winner - or whatever year

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/fun/news/a457014/x-factor-james-arthur-fan-gets-tattoo-of-his-face-on-thigh.html#~oV4lRPuzofvxeW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Yes - but , if I was to look at my outlook on stuff ten years ago - they would be varying from different to similar to total opposite.

I just don't think you can (well you can - but not a great idea) to put something permanent on your body, because how you feel about things at certain stages are temporary.

For example as a kid I loved Blur - I've seen people with Love Hate tattoos.

the important thing to take here, is that what you think, doesn't matter when it comes to other peoples bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the artwork you witnessed was rubbish Or of a poor standard what difference would it make if you made a person wait till theyre 40 to get tattoos?? Surely it's the people doing the tattoos that are at fault, perhaps they should have to reach a certain level/qualification before being allowed to ink someone's body?

If the artwork you witnessed was rubbish Or of a poor standard what difference would it make if you made a person wait till theyre 40 to get tattoos?? Surely it's the people doing the tattoos that are at fault, perhaps they should have to reach a certain level/qualification before being allowed to ink someone's body?

Well, no.

Issues around poor subject matter, placement, planning, forethought, choice of artist, willingness to do research or legwork, budget, aftercare, and otherwise failing to take a tattoo seriously means the responsibility lies far more with the customer than many are willing to accept.

It's all there in the portfolio, but we cannot make people look. And we cannot make people listen to "don't put that old English lettering on prime forearm real estate, it's a waste", or "you really do need to keep it out of the sun if you want it to look good", or "this tattoo you are getting is a Pintrest meme, not a meaningful tattoo like you are trying to convince me, you will be embarrassed by it in the future", or "a finger tattoo is not discreet, what the hell are you thinking getting it in your early 20s?".

Why do you think tattoo artists seem like such angry people?

• Advertisement

A well done Glenroe sleeve would be incredible. Most tattoo artists would kill for a customer with such vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

4 star hotel well la di da.

Bleh. A lot of what's called "Four Star" here wouldn't pass for a kennel in more civilised jurisdictions. And tattoos should be banned, period. I have surprisingly little interest in the "artistic" mewlings of the shaven-headed illiterati.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Bleh. A lot of what's called "Four Star" here wouldn't pass for a kennel in more civilised jurisdictions. And tattoos should be banned, period. I have surprisingly little interest in the "artistic" mewlings of the shaven-headed illiterati.

I read just fine. And I have and art degree. My head is indeed shaved, and I have been known to mewl.

Some girl with a tattoo laughed at your penis, didn't she?

I read just fine. And I have and art degree. My head is indeed shaved, and I have been known to mewl.

Some girl with a tattoo laughed at your penis, didn't she?

Possibly, it was a long time ago and at the time I thought she was enjoying herself. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

jimgoose wrote: »

for someone with "surprisingly little interest", you hold surprisingly strong feelings over the matter.

for someone with "surprisingly little interest", you hold surprisingly strong feelings over the matter.

Don't get too excited. I feel exactly the same way about dogsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

look - I like to go places and get in at the deep end of the pool at a 4 star hotel and mix with the locals.

But - I just felt the locals , seemed to be a little misguided ,

Like they seen Roy Keane - against Holland , and that made it ok :eek:

No - s**t -- is s**t,

I've come to the conclusion the OP is high on drugs or something.

And BTW - Which means 'by the way' for ye 'OLD' folk - I wouldn't let you into a 4* hotel with that kind of grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

You didn't choose them and yet you have made peace with them. This is exactly the point I'm making.

So someone changes their mind over a tattoo? Meh no biggie I've never met anyone who hated them.

Anyone I have met who really disliked them had a total change of life and character. And it was more like they did not like the old life and the old character rather than the tattoo. It's just not them anymore.

Really? Out of my group of friends who got tattoos in their early twenties most are undergoing laser treatment because they hate their tacky tattoos. They're embarrassed by them. They were cheap and nasty tattoos, but even if they were expensive ones they would still hate them because that's not the look that they go for now that they are in their thirties.

Jogathon wrote: »
    Really? Out of my group of friends who got tattoos in their early twenties most are undergoing laser treatment because they hate their tacky tattoos. They're embarrassed by them. They were cheap and nasty tattoos, but even if they were expensive ones they would still hate them because that's not the look that they go for now that they are in their thirties.

People get the tattoos they deserve.

The problem is your friends clearly didn't think hard enough about whether tattoos were for them. They aren't for everyone.

People get the tattoos they deserve.

And sometimes people who are young and poor don't think things through.... And that's why they are getting laser now that they can afford it.

But even though I don't agree with the OP my anecdotal evidence says I probably do.

• Advertisement

And sometimes people who are young and poor don't think things through.... And that's why they are getting laser now that they can afford it.

But even though I don't agree with the OP my anecdotal evidence says I probably do.

Young people don't think most things through, wrap themselves around trees at 4am. Take the cars/booze off them so?

I've come to the conclusion the OP is high on drugs or something.

And BTW - Which means 'by the way' for ye 'OLD' folk - I wouldn't let you into a 4* hotel with that kind of grammar.

Grammar Nazi. ;)

Young people don't think most things through, wrap themselves around trees at 4am. Take the cars/booze off them so?

And this is why I don't bother posting very often.

And this is why I don't bother posting very often.

What did I say that was so awful?

What did I say that was so awful?

Actually, reading back, perhaps I misunderstood the tone in which you were writing.

It just seems that the last few times that I have posted a personal opinion or anecdote, people with a very strong opinion post and try to pick holes and I'm left trying to defend my opinion, which generally is something that I don't have a very strong opinion on! It's like "she has said something which doesn't fit with our stance, how dare she!"

So, tattoos, I don't like them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Actually, reading back, perhaps I misunderstood the tone in which you were writing.

It just seems that the last few times that I have posted a personal opinion or anecdote, people with a very strong opinion post and try to pick holes and I'm left trying to defend my opinion, which generally is something that I don't have a very strong opinion on! It's like "she has said something which doesn't fit with our stance, how dare she!"

Then make sure you never get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Should be banned for people over 40, I've seen a lot of middle age housewive types with ugly inkwork recently. Makes them look real trashy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I sometimes browse the "I'll show you mine" thread in the Tattoo and piercing forum. The varying level of quality is most noticeable thing. Some of them are soooo badly executed. Poorly drawn with thick smudgy lines. Others are genuinely beautiful (often the bigger pieces done by someone who has come with a million recommendations). I think in general those look a lot better in the long term than the 'got a scribble here, and a blob of something there' approach. Tattoos date very quickly.

Tattoos aren't for everyone, in fact I'd say they are for fewer people than are getting them. You are certainly allowed to not like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

pod73 wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas. Must have a look at them. What colour do you have?

They're both in black, although one fades into teal designs.

Advertisement