Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for general election Dublin Nov 27th

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

This government has been a total and utter failure.

In your opinion

Others would consider eliminating the budget crisis as a bit of a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Cant beat a good rally

Many WRC entries? Hopefully a few MK II .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

smash wrote: »
    Vincent Brown was on Newstalk with George Hook last night and he slated FG and Labour. He made of point of noting that if their manifesto had been put into place then the country would have been beyond recovery because they wanted to do what FF did, but on a larger scale. Hook couldn't disagree with him, so I'm going to go with the experts opinion here.

That piece of radio was like listening in on conversations in a home for the bewildered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And in other news, water has been revealed to be wet.
    Sure go and have a listen back yourself and hear some of the points made: http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/9/14040/05th_November_2014_-_The_Right_Hook_Part_1
    That piece of radio was like listening in on conversations in a home for the bewildered.
    Only because Hook acts completely moronic most of the time. If he's not mentioning "The Lovely Ingrid", "Leafy Foxrock" or something to do with Rugby he's spouting shíte!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Scannal wrote: »
    Fact is we were heading for disaster with either FF or FG behind the wheel and fact is we would have had the same policies post crash with either at the wheel also.

I often hear this said, usually from people who voted FF in 2002 and 2007.

If you read the FG manifesto from 2002 (available here), you'll see that Noonan did not urge more of the same as FF: he called out that FF policies were completely insane (15 to 23% year-on-year growth in public spending!), spending should be reined in and the Government should focus on value for money - the exact opposite of McCreevy's "If I have it, I'll spend it" policy.

But keep telling yourself they are all the same, that way you can pretend it isn't your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Everything starts with a functioning economy, when they took office we were in a truly awful state - one sudden shock would have sunk us. They had to take very very unpopular decisions to balance the books - we haven't even started reaping those rewards fully yet. As people go back to work things will ease on the public finance and more and more wriggle room will be created to ease the burden on the working class.

Being sunk, may well have been more preferable in my mind, than what has transpired. Given that it would have sorted issues out, that politicians here never will. You are correct it is all about the economy, but the electorate here for a large part, dont see it like this and dont reward prudence. Scofflaw put it excellently on the economics forum, we effectively went to the absolute edge (in terms of debt) but just about managed to cling on by our finger tips for dear lives... Ill try and find the actual post. In terms of "difficult decisions" I wouldnt say they didnt anything particularly difficult, they wouldnt go after the sacred cow pensioners with the core OAP rate for a start...

Advertisement