Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with members of Travelling Community

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Op goes to guards and will probably get arrested for racism.

Chances are nothing will happen but of course if it does it won't be just the one traveler. Strange how every 'hard man' always has to have a posse of losers to back him.

Strange too how such a tiny, tiny proportion of the travelling community can cause so much trouble and hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Don't go to the guards that will anger them even more, you're best off moving to a new location

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'd make a youtube video calling him out

And since the OP's nemesis was in town for a funeral, he should probably call him - 'Shyte in the coffin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

We form a vigilante squad from boards.ie and hang around the place looking tough so he knows we stand together.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

And since the OP's nemesis was in town for a funeral, he should probably call him - 'Shyte in the coffin'.

Hahahaha, tell him you'll fight him and his dead relative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

We form a vigilante squad from boards.ie and hang around the place looking tough so he knows we stand together.

Speak for your fckin self, I'm throwing you to the first tinker posse I see coming in our direction!

Maybe ask somebody do they know the guy and is he dangerous.Has he been to jail for assault or anything.He may be acting hard to impress his mates.Know your enemy as Sun Tsu would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

New car maybe http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057134570 :) seriously tho I'd ignore it have had it a few times when worked in a shop notting ever happend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

We should spit every two seconds that will show them we are tough

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

You can breath easy OP. I won't be going near you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Remind me to never come to you lot for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Do you know Nidge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

She's probably dead already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

female op here: Not expecting this to kick off like it has:
    to answer some:
    ~ He walked in looking for a room; I'd two ladies viewing a room and when I informed him of that he said "if they won't take it then I will" ; to which I replied "Sorry, but if they won't take it, then their's obviously something wrong with it and it can't be sold" <-- that was my initial reply without thinking and he kicked off on his abuse.

to answer others:
    ~ I served as a volunteer Garda Reserve in a nearby town and that's how I know him to see him. Doubt he'd know me from that, but he'd know me now to see

to answer more:
    ~ Going to our Irish Police Force won't be done by me on anything, unless very very last resort. Doubt I'll say anything about this tbh. He is in town for a family funeral; tension and anger-levels would be high.

to answer further:
    ~ I have kept up my self-defence, but I've back issues at present and anyways, I wouldn't stand a chance outside of work.
    The funny thing was when he spoke of kicking and hammering me to death; I actually felt if he tried it there & then, I'd have taken him on. Also confidence of others around, so maybe that helped at the time.

to answer some more AH-posters in true AH-style:
    ~ My Late Loving Dad passed away last December so we do have a double-plot purchased already and only one being used!

& No, even if allowed, me having a gun would not happen. I'd certainly still be anti-gun-ownership.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks all for your input,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP you should be really afraid if you notice a TV3 camera crew stalking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

sign_out wrote: »
    its not april 1st but the mods have obviously decided to team up for some entertainment involving a story about violent travellers , hence why none of them are taking the OP seriously in their replies

anyone that knows anything about boards knows that a mod with a negative view of that community is about as common as a FF politican with a code of ethics he stringently adheres to

Either that or this mod actually lives in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

kerry4sam wrote: »
    If anyone has had any dealings, negative dealings with member of the travelling community, could they please tell me: Do they carry out their threats?

At work this evening (they're in town for a family funeral) I was called everything under the sun; but he also said "he'd every right to jump in over the counter and kick and hammer me to death" & to watch my back!

Now, I know this fcker to see, and I'd believe he would also know me to see around after work.

What're the freaking chances of this fcker fulfilling his threat above?
    & No! Going to a member of our Irish Police Force is NOT an option!

Shaking right now to say least,
    Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Now we know where the tiny minority was today.

Seriously, Kerry4sam, I would do nothing personally. These lads are above the law and the Gardai cannot watch your back 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If anyone has had any dealings, negative dealings with member of the travelling community, could they please tell me: Do they carry out their threats?

At work this evening (they're in town for a family funeral) I was called everything under the sun; but he also said "he'd every right to jump in over the counter and kick and hammer me to death" & to watch my back!

Now, I know this fcker to see, and I'd believe he would also know me to see around after work.

What're the freaking chances of this fcker fulfilling his threat above?
    & No! Going to a member of our Irish Police Force is NOT an option!

Shaking right now to say least,
    Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

*Pushes envelope across table.
    "Keep your thanks, and buy yourself a headstone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I'd say he'd be more likely to get you,if you were male.Dont think they beat women they don't know,they might beat the wife alright (the 1% of travellers who are bad apples,not talking about the 99% of cuddly law-abiding ones obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Where's you're boss in all this? Surely if you are being threatened etc. then he/she has to have some input there?

Question for you? What exactly do you mean by "I wouldn't stand a chance outside of work"? Are you saying that you're self defence skills kick in when you're on duty as a GR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

My bro was threatened by a group of travellers for refusing them showers in his place of work as they were not using the sports facility's . they were just empty threaths . he said they were very intimidating people but he stood his ground in the end. Give them an inch and they will take a mile : ). I no not all travellers are like that . I have met some very sound travellers in my time. I had a stint in hospital a few years ago with a traveller in the same ward . a really sound guy and his family were very good people.

Well if OP is a woman then he may be just talking drunk talk and rowdy.How dare a man talk to you like that.Just ignore him.I do not think he meant he will actually kill you.He sounds like a mouth.If a real man was going to kill you he would not say it out loud.And it seems he was threatening over very little.

Also there is a general strain to this thread of "These lads are above the law" - I can appreciate that personal safety is paramount and there's no Thanks in being a "Have a Go Hero" but doesn't saying that they are "above the law" even give them a greater sense of power?

Arm the Garda and Zero Tolerance Across the Board for all sectors of the community - irrespective of Traveller / Settled . . .

Definitely, the fact that you are a Woman is a big, big factor! He has nothing to prove by having a go at you - in fact he would probably be made fun of by the rest of the group . . .

Stupid Question - but he's obviously left your establishment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I find it pretty weird that you served as a Garda reserve but insist on referring to them as the Irish police force. What exactly do you want op? You're asking people to predict the behaviour of a guy based on him being a traveller. While they can be predictable to a certain extent it is just impossible to predict the actions of a single person like that. The people who could help you, either with a criminal complaint or just advice, are the folks you refer to, rather disrespectfully in my view, as the Irish Police Force. They know the locals better than we do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

female op here: Not expecting this to kick off like it has:
    to answer some:
    ~ He walked in looking for a room; I'd two ladies viewing a room and when I informed him of that he said "if they won't take it then I will" ; to which I replied "Sorry, but if they won't take it, then their's obviously something wrong with it and it can't be sold" <-- that was my initial reply without thinking and he kicked off on his abuse.

to answer others:
    ~ I served as a volunteer Garda Reserve in a nearby town and that's how I know him to see him. Doubt he'd know me from that, but he'd know me now to see

to answer more:
    ~ Going to our Irish Police Force won't be done by me on anything, unless very very last resort. Doubt I'll say anything about this tbh. He is in town for a family funeral; tension and anger-levels would be high.

to answer further:
    ~ I have kept up my self-defence, but I've back issues at present and anyways, I wouldn't stand a chance outside of work.
    The funny thing was when he spoke of kicking and hammering me to death; I actually felt if he tried it there & then, I'd have taken him on. Also confidence of others around, so maybe that helped at the time.

to answer some more AH-posters in true AH-style:
    ~ My Late Loving Dad passed away last December so we do have a double-plot purchased already and only one being used!

& No, even if allowed, me having a gun would not happen. I'd certainly still be anti-gun-ownership.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks all for your input,
    kerry4sam

OP, no offence but something doesn't sound right with this.
    You were showing a room (I'm going to assume you are renting a room?) or are you working in an estate agency?
    Once you've answered that then clarify this, the person walked into either your house or place of work and said he wants that particular room that these 2 women were looking at if they refuse it.
    You said that no one will get the room if they refuse it as there will obviously be something wrong with it - this in itself makes no sense. The women could merely not like the room.
    Once you said this the person kicked off and threatened to hammer you to death which I will also assume was witnessed by other people.
    Yet you refuse to go to police about it??
    Sounds like a load of ****e to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You'll be grand OP, they generally don't hit women...that they're not married to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP the very fact that he tried to intimidate you before anything means he's just all talk. It's the ones that don't give you a warning are the ones who fight and cause all sorts of antisocial behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

Normally the thing to do is quote a stupid price for the room. Handy way out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Also there is a general strain to this thread of "These lads are above the law" - I can appreciate that personal safety is paramount and there's no Thanks in being a "Have a Go Hero" but doesn't saying that they are "above the law" even give them a greater sense of power?

Arm the Garda and Zero Tolerance Across the Board for all sectors of the community - irrespective of Traveller / Settled . . .

I've never thought of them as being above the law, more like they tend to ignore the law and do what they like. I've a rule that I stick to, it's never ever mess with a travaler, they scare the bollox out of me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement