Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British people disguised as Polish living in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

johnty56 wrote: »
    I guess we all don't meet the same people everyday! Different areas have higher concentrations of different nationalities, but I meet far more Eastern europeans now than I would have when the figure was supposedly 4 times as high. Many would have semi-Irish accents too, having been here for years.

In general though, the census is meaningless BS.. I worked as an enumerator, and saw it first hand.. with both Irish and non-nationals. 1 person listed on forms where clearly many more were living at the address for example.

You mean you didnt do your job properly?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No idea really.. it would not make much sense for them to be unofficially here at all. I would imagine that the census is rubbish though, and that the closest actual estimate would be determined from PPS numbers.
    Not at all.

There are thousands and thousands of pps numbers issued for people who have since left Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

unjedilike wrote: »
    All the British people who live in Dublin are based in the UK.

Makes no sense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

All the English (and German) people live in west Cork. The Polish people live in Blanch and Clonsilla.

I am enjoying this generalising thing.

Theres loads of Irish people living in the UK and America boo hoo

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You'd have to know the basis of the stats - is it based on country of birth, or nationality?

Also, anyone born in this state before 1949 and the Republic coming into being, is entitled to a UK passport, so if it was based on nationality, it would include people who were born, raised and lived their whole lives in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nope. I'm British, but I'm very much based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I know a small number of British(all English) people mostly from various jobs i've met them in over the years. Most have married Irish people and settled down. There are still quite a few Polish working in IT in this country.(nevermind the customer facing catering sector where we all meet them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another one here who has no other "base" than Dublin. You think all people from the UK who live in Ireland are catching Ryanair flights "home" every weekend? Dublin is my home, has been for just a few weeks short of 15 years now.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ah yes we've a chap running a guesthouse up at the lake, he is a very well respected individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No idea really.. it would not make much sense for them to be unofficially here at all. I would imagine that the census is rubbish though, and that the closest actual estimate would be determined from PPS numbers.
    Not really. PPS numbers only indicate (a) people who have registered at one point in their life or (b) have registered recently (the number of new registrations is published monthly). It doesn't say anything about the number of people associated with those PPS numbers that are currently in Ireland.

I think the Poles who are only here for a couple of years are not particularly *rsed with filling out the census when it arrives, whereas I'd imagine the British people would be more likely to fill it out.

Nothing scientific about my theory, just based on personal experience.

I think the Poles who are only here for a couple of years are not particularly *rsed with filling out the census when it arrives, whereas I'd imagine the British people would be more likely to fill it out.

Nothing scientific about my theory, just based on personal experience.

Or maybe the op hasnt looked at the 2011 census data.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I may count as one of those people, born in Britain but have Irish parents (and I've been living here since I was six)!:D See now you've met one! *waves* Fair amount of English/Scottish people living here in Clare too that I've come across :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

That made me laugh out loud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

All the English (and German) people live in west Cork. The Polish people live in Blanch and Clonsilla.

I am enjoying this generalising thing.

You're not far wrong there.70% of homes sold in West Cork are to English buyers.

http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/english-happy-raising-standards-in-cork-30153389.html

Some well known English people who have lived/live/regularly holidayed in West Cork are/were Jeremy Paxman,Carol Vorderman,Mo Mowlem,Keith Floyd,Jeremy Irons,David Puttman,Sarah Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

you do know...there more to Ireland than Dublin???
    Nope, all the brits are in Dublin. They love it there, it's just like home.

How so.

Do your type need a disclaimer on every thread.

The following perspective is given from someone living in Dublin, we recognize that by not mentioning ..... oh fvck it.

look just die in a fire.

The butt hurt is flowing strong. :D
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Looks like I hit a nerve....I wonder how

The truth hurts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

zetalambda wrote: »
    butt hurt

Irish people who use this phrase should have their citizenship rescinded and be banished for eternity via a rocket.

Irish people who use this phrase should have their citizenship rescinded and be banished for eternity via a rocket.

I agree. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's the plantations pt II, they're here for our land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You're not far wrong there.70% of homes sold in West Cork are to English buyers.

http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/english-happy-raising-standards-in-cork-30153389.html

Some well known English people who have lived/live/regularly holidayed in West Cork are/were Jeremy Paxman,Carol Vorderman,Mo Mowlem,Keith Floyd,Jeremy Irons,David Puttman,Sarah Ferguson.

Steve Coogan too I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Rasheed wrote: »
    There is a **** load of British around here. Way more than Eastern Europeans.

Seems to be a majority of couples looking for the quintessential country life. This appears to involves doing up an old cottage, having chickens and a donkey wandering about, growing vegetables for themselves, cutting turf by hand, making soda bread, that sort of thing.

I could sell you Brits, I've that many around me.

Ah lads (gone native now), I've become a stereotype, doing all the above except the turf.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Ah lads (gone native now), I've become a stereotype, doing all the above except the turf.
    I'm the opposite, I've only done the turf. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I suppose the likes of Irish passport holders with names like Enda O'Malley or Sinead Hennessey who were born in the U.K because their parents moved over but have moved here now are ''Brits'' as well. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm the opposite, I've only done the turf. ;)

"They" will be after you now... the turf police.

madmaggie wrote: »
    "They" will be after you now... the turf police.
    Will they burn as well as the ordinary turf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

gad damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

A good few seppo celebs too. Sarah Jessica Parker has a holiday home in Donegal.

Apparently;
    SJP has often dreamt of making the move permanent.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/top-stars-who-holiday-in-ireland-30235422.html

May the lord have mercy on us all.

The actress who played Jessica Parker in 'Murder She Wrote', Angela Lansbury, lives somewhere on the Cork coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Yup! I'm one of them. Forebears [PHP][/PHP]from Limerick/Clare though...:D

Brits are just about acceptable,but bringing in bears with them,no way Jeremy!

Advertisement