Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British people disguised as Polish living in Ireland

Options
  • 31-10-2014 11:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

Apparently more British people live in Ireland than Polish, yet everywhere I go in Dublin for as long back as I can remember its Polish accents and language that are noticeable.

Only very rarely have I heard an English or Scottish accent for example.
    In my average day Im in contact with three people from eastern Europe, and in the last few years have lived and worked with Poles but can only remember the occasional British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#mediaviewer/File:NonnationalsIreland2006.png

Above link shows double the number of British living in Ireland than Polish - ... wtf.

Brief research on other sites suggest a similar ratio.
    One site even said 329 thousand - which was what set me off on my quest of nerd rage and disbelief.

http://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2013/12/05/the-free-movement-of-people/
    Thats the same as the number suggested for all of France ffs.

If you live in ROI, can you honestly say you meet twice as many British as Polish in your average day. (I sure as fvck dont)

Granted you might not know from appearance and first meeting, so perhaps do you personally know twice as many British people as Polish people.

Either the stats are wrong or they're disguising themselves as Polish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

And your point is....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

you do know...there more to Ireland than Dublin???

I would imagine a lot would be older and retired and be after buying retirement homes around the country

also the million+ who live in the north who regard themselves as british:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I just met a platoon of Polish paratroopers led by Michael Caine. Now I'm suspicious...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

I'd say the majority of those are from Northern Ireland, not England/Scotland/Wales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

There are only Brazilians living in Dublin everybody knows this, 14 to a room, 5 to a bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Wtf is a Polish disguise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I just met a platoon of Polish paratroopers led by Michael Caine. Now I'm suspicious...
    If Donald Sutherland shows up with a cheeky grin, a glink in his eye and a pig under his arm then leg it!

There's more British people than polish people living in Ireland?

Mind blown OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Wtf is a Polish disguise?

Festooned with cans of Pledge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

As many Germans as Chinese? I call shenanigans on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

A lot of English in Cork and West Cork from my own experience. Anywhere coastal id definitely meet a lot more English then Polish but many have been here for 30 years and may have even had grand parents from here originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Balmed Out wrote: »
    A lot of English in Cork and West Cork from my own experience. Anywhere coastal id definitely meet a lot more English then Polish but many have been here for 30 years and may have even had grand parents from here originally.

Yup! I'm one of them. Forebears from Limerick/Clare though...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I think that stat is based on the Place of birth so those born in NI would be British and Irish families with kids born in the UK put together

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't quite see what the OP's point is, but 'down the country' you find a lot more Brits than you used to, not particularly Northern Ireland either. I think Brits would be less noticeable unless they have very strong accents, many Irish and many UK people have quite neutral accents that you would not readily identify.

edit - agree with the above posts that the UK people are generally older and the Polish younger, you would tend to fine more young Polish people in service and frontline jobs, so they are more noticeable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

bubblypop wrote: »
    There's more British people than polish people living in Ireland?

Mind blown OP.

Well mine is. I've no real life experiences to suggest this is the case. Yet plenty of daily experience of the exact opposite.

How could it be so, perhaps I somehow instinctively tune out English, Scottish, Welsh accents for example.

Is it really the case that I meet more British people than Polish people daily - or do I live some kind of bizarre life that just by chance causes me to meet maybe .... oh 100's of Polish each year yet hardly ever someone noticeably British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You've never spoken to me then. The minute I open my mouth, you know I'm a Londoner!

lazygal wrote: »
    And your point is....?

sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

onedmc wrote: »
    I think that stat is based on the Place of birth so those born in NI would be British and Irish families with kids born in the UK put together
    You enter your nationality as well as your place of birth on the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Were they not German Light Infantry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I hear that they're laying eggs in people's heads and eating babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Were they not German Light Infantry ?

Whatever they were it was very sad when the waterwheel got one of them. (They were disguised as British Paras though.)

British people living in Ireland.... Don't forget the millions of Irish who went to live in England during the 20th century, some of their children have gone the other way.

I would say that many of us "Brits" are genetically "boomerang Paddies!"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are using 8 year old data.
    yet everywhere I go in Dublin for as long back as I can remember its Polish accents and language that are noticeable.
    Polish people stand out more because they speak Polish and speak English with a stronger accent. Additionally, many of the 'Polish' people you see aren't Polish, but some other Central / Eastern European nationality.

Importantly, many of the British have dual nationality, e.g. my niece was born in Chester in England and several aunts and uncles moved to London and had families there. They aren't readily identifiable as British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not sure what the OP is trying to say but I admire his ability to distinguish, in passing, between a Polish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Slovakian etc accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You've never spoken to me then. The minute I open my mouth, you know I'm a Londoner!

I see this everywhere I look in Ireland.

lazygal wrote: »
    And your point is....?
    you do know...there more to Ireland than Dublin???

I would imagine a lot would be older and retired and be after buying retirement homes around the country

also the million+ who live in the north who regard themselves as british:rolleyes::rolleyes:

aj;slkdgfajlsi bavisl ani;sdlnha;dagchil/sngavila./kdvn acklgjcavjgvaghaifk/gh/avisasklravk'lska'lg HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111!!

Well mine is. I've no real life experiences to suggest this is the case. Yet plenty of daily experience of the exact opposite.

How could it be so, perhaps I somehow instinctively tune out English, Scottish, Welsh accents for example.

Is it really the case that I meet more British people than Polish people daily - or do I live some kind of bizarre life that just by chance causes me to meet maybe .... oh 100's of Polish each year yet hardly ever someone noticeably British.

Lots of British people have Irish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

I think his point is that the census is a load of bollocks..

What are the official figures for Polish nationals in Ireland?

Probably less than there actually are living in Dublin alone.

Again there are officially far less Eastern Europeans living here now than there were 5 years ago.. I would also suggest that this is bollox.

However, this is my opinion and based on my own observations, such as often not hearing English spoken in the hour or so it takes me to do my shopping in Tesco in Roselawn ( Blanchardstown)

The Irish government, and its 'arms' such as the CSO are hugely incompetent

Now tell me this.. is this racist, or have I committed a thought crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Augmerson wrote: »
    There are only Brazilians living in Dublin everybody knows this, 14 to a room, 5 to a bed.

Except for the ones living in Gort!
    aj;slkdgfajlsi bavisl ani;sdlnha;dagchil/sngavila./kdvn acklgjcavjgvaghaifk/gh/avisasklravk'lska'lg HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111!!

What type of Polish dialect is this? Google translate doesn't work. :(

Lots of Irish people have West British accents too!

• Advertisement

Yet not all of them.
    But if the stats are anything to go by I should be hearing a whole lot more regional British accents than I do - yet this isn't the case for me.

Is it the case for you.

Advertisement