Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British people disguised as Polish living in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

johnty56 wrote: »
    I think his point is that the census is a load of bollocks..

What are the official figures for Polish nationals in Ireland?

Probably less than there actually are living in Dublin alone.

Again there are officially far less Eastern Europeans living here now than there were 5 years ago.. I would also suggest that this is bollox.

However, this is my opinion and based on my own observations, such as often not hearing English spoken in the hour or so it takes me to do my shopping in Tesco in Roselawn ( Blanchardstown)

The Irish government, and its 'arms' such as the CSO are hugely incompetent

Now tell me this.. is this racist, or have I committed a thought crime?

No it's actually rare to hear Eastern European accents now I think. Lots of Southern European accents though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Yet not all of them.
    But if the stats are anything to go by I should be hearing a whole lot more regional British accents than I do - yet this isn't the case for me.

Is it the case for you.

It's probably British born or British passport holders. Who could be boggers. Or Northerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I know loads of English and Scottish people where I'm from.

When the buildings were going good I knew quite a few polish, but they mostly seem to be gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

No it's actually rare to hear Eastern European accents now I think. Lots of Southern European accents though.

I guess we all don't meet the same people everyday! Different areas have higher concentrations of different nationalities, but I meet far more Eastern europeans now than I would have when the figure was supposedly 4 times as high. Many would have semi-Irish accents too, having been here for years.

In general though, the census is meaningless BS.. I worked as an enumerator, and saw it first hand.. with both Irish and non-nationals. 1 person listed on forms where clearly many more were living at the address for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I've got at least a dozen cousins who were born in England & moved back before the end of their schooldays, they would obviously be classed as British born on the census but almost all have Irish accents apart from one who was 15 when she moved, she still has a slight Birmingham accent, even though she came back in the mid '80's :eek:

I've also got two Aunts in law living in Ireland that are "proper" English without no Irish blood married to Irishmen. And very proud of being English they are too! :P

Also know many couples born in England of Irish parents who have moved back to Ireland since the early '90's & had families. In most cases their parents have stayed back in England.

Add all those above to the English retiring along the coastal regions there's your total..............! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Augmerson wrote: »
    There are only Brazilians living in Dublin everybody knows this, 14 to a room, 5 to a bed.

And no matter how many times I ask, they never seem to have room for a 6th. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think his point is that the census is a load of bollocks..

What are the official figures for Polish nationals in Ireland?

Probably less than there actually are living in Dublin alone.

Again there are officially far less Eastern Europeans living here now than there were 5 years ago.. I would also suggest that this is bollox.

However, this is my opinion and based on my own observations, such as often not hearing English spoken in the hour or so it takes me to do my shopping in Tesco in Roselawn ( Blanchardstown)

The Irish government, and its 'arms' such as the CSO are hugely incompetent

Now tell me this.. is this racist, or have I committed a thought crime?

I'm just confused about if you think Polish people decided to "go illegal" after being here officially a few years ago, or if you think they are entering the country "unofficially" despite being able to enter the country perfectly legally without the slightest issue due to being in the EU? Or are the census folks just jigging the numbers and not reporting people who live here for some other unexplained reason?

I'm not saying your opinion is racist or a "thought crime" or whatever... I'm just saying I can't make head nor tail of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Apparently more British people live in Ireland than Polish, yet everywhere I go in Dublin for as long back as I can remember its Polish accents and language that are noticeable.

Only very rarely have I heard an English or Scottish accent for example.
    In my average day Im in contact with three people from eastern Europe, and in the last few years have lived and worked with Poles but can only remember the occasional British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#mediaviewer/File:NonnationalsIreland2006.png

Above link shows double the number of British living in Ireland than Polish - ... wtf.

Brief research on other sites suggest a similar ratio.
    One site even said 329 thousand - which was what set me off on my quest of nerd rage and disbelief.

http://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2013/12/05/the-free-movement-of-people/
    Thats the same as the number suggested for all of France ffs.

If you live in ROI, can you honestly say you meet twice as many British as Polish in your average day. (I sure as fvck dont)

Granted you might not know from appearance and first meeting, so perhaps do you personally know twice as many British people as Polish people.

Either the stats are wrong or they're disguising themselves as Polish.

The stats are not wrong for their time but they are out of date.

There were more Poles than British in the 2011 census. Their very extraordinary 5700% increase in numbers in 10 years (from 2124 to 122,585) probably means they are more visible than the British who have more or less maintained their numbers over the same period.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile6/Profile,6,Migration,and,Diversity,entire,doc.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I've got at least a dozen cousins who were born in England & moved back before the end of their schooldays, they would obviously be classed as British born on the census but almost all have Irish accents apart from one who was 15 when she moved, she still has a slight Birmingham accent, even though she came back in the mid '80's :eek:

I've also got two Aunts in law living in Ireland that are "proper" English without no Irish blood married to Irishmen. And very proud of being English they are too! :P

Also know many couples born in England of Irish parents who have moved back to Ireland since the early '90's & had families. In most cases their parents have stayed back in England.

Add all those above to the English retiring along the coastal regions there's your total..............! :D

Thanks. Thats the kind of thing Im curious about. Its not really evident on the surface but statistically its part of the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In my own experience there are quite a lot of English people (and Plastic Paddies! :)) in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm just confused about if you think Polish people decided to "go illegal" after being here officially a few years ago, or if you think they are entering the country "unofficially" despite being able to enter the country perfectly legally without the slightest issue due to being in the EU? Or are the census folks just jigging the numbers and not reporting people who live here for some other unexplained reason?

I'm not saying your opinion is racist or a "thought crime" or whatever... I'm just saying I can't make head nor tail of it!

No idea really.. it would not make much sense for them to be unofficially here at all. I would imagine that the census is rubbish though, and that the closest actual estimate would be determined from PPS numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No idea really.. it would not make much sense for them to be unofficially here at all. I would imagine that the census is rubbish though, and that the closest actual estimate would be determined from PPS numbers.

By all accounts the number of issued PPS numbers has about as much to do with Guatemala as Ireland. Two Heiners and a Prawo Jazdy there, chief! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Jaysis lads, he's not trying to be a racist!

It probably is cos the data is out of date, but I don't usually encounter many Eastern Europeans OR English people in either college, work or daily passing. Maybe I just don't take notice of my surroundings much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Your figures are from 2006. Here's the data from the 2011 census;
    Polish nationals increased by 93.7 per cent since 2006 from 63,276 to 122,585 in 2011 marking them the largest group ahead of UK nationals with 112,259.

Nearly a quarter of all British citizens resident here are either retirees or in third level education. That's probably why you don't notice so many of them;
    The largest group of non Irish students were UK nationals (8,277 persons) 
    There were 19,619 retired non-Irish nationals representing 4.2 per cent of the total non-irish aged 15 and over. By far the largest group were UK nationals with 14,754 persons representing 75 per cent of all non-Irish retirees. The next largest group were German nationals with 826 retirees.

http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2012pressreleases/pressreleasecensus2011profile6migrationanddiversity/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's probably British born or British passport holders. Who could be boggers. Or Northerners.

Brilliant!! Calling myself a Bogger Brit from now on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Were they not German Light Infantry ?

Yeah, Germans disguised as free Polish troops.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_Has_Landed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wtf is a Polish disguise?

Personally I eat swan and drink Tyskie to avoid suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I teach in the north west and we have quite a number of students in school who are British. Their families have moved to Ireland and bought homes in the west where it is cheaper, and they are looking for a better quality of life. Many of their kids were young when they moved so now speak with Irish accents and learn Irish at school. Some may have had one Irish parent to begin with so their surnames don't stand out. Even at that a lot of British surnames wouldn't stand out on a class list as being unusual. It's when you bring them on school tour and they come in with a British passport, or you meet their parents at a parent-teacher meeting and realise that they are British, or they mention in class that they were born in London/Manchester/Cardiff etc that it becomes apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

There is a **** load of British around here. Way more than Eastern Europeans.

Seems to be a majority of couples looking for the quintessential country life. This appears to involves doing up an old cottage, having chickens and a donkey wandering about, growing vegetables for themselves, cutting turf by hand, making soda bread, that sort of thing.

I could sell you Brits, I've that many around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wtf is a Polish disguise?

Guys copying Polish lads and their natural red & white beards.

• Advertisement

Guys copying Polish lads and their natural red & white beards.
    I always thought that it was the shine that gave them away. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I (a Dubliner) lived in Cork for a bit, a couple of years ago. Two things struck me: lots of "down and outs" -- usually older men that are 'fond of the drink', and British people.

British accents all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Another thread to prove dublin people live in their own bubble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Those damned west poles

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

I'd believe this. I live in north Dublin and know plenty of English and Scottish people personally. Don't know any polish. I do know Czechs, Lithuanians, Russians and a few Germans. A lot of them look polish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Dempsey wrote: »
    Another thread to prove dublin people live in their own bubble

How so.

Do your type need a disclaimer on every thread.

The following perspective is given from someone living in Dublin, we recognize that by not mentioning ..... oh fvck it.

look just die in a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How so.

Do your type need a disclaimer on every thread.

The following perspective is given from someone living in Dublin, we recognize that by not mentioning ..... oh fvck it.

look just die in a fire.

Looks like I hit a nerve....I wonder how

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    I'd believe this. I live in north Dublin and know plenty of English and Scottish people personally. Don't know any polish. I do know Czechs, Lithuanians, Russians and a few Germans. A lot of them look polish.

The largest minority in the state is Polish nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

who cares! Sharing is caring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

All the British people who live in Dublin are based in the UK.

Advertisement