Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

14.75 got me a ticket , large popcorn and large coke on my last visit to the cinema

As someone mentioned already, cinemas keep shag all of the ticket sales. When I was working in one when Up was out, something like 70-80% of the ticket went back to the distributor. Cinemas have to have a policy and charge a fortune for food because, to be frank, most cinemas barely make a profit as is. Someone mentioned the Eye Cinema in Galway; this is an independent cinema with no other ones in a franchise, like the IMC. If they don't charge extra, there's no way in hell they'd be able to stay open. It's pretty simple.

You'd be amazed at what people try to smuggle in to the movies. You'd always get the people with sweets and even popcorn, but you'd get the chancers that bring in takeaway/fast food.

I remember one incident where a woman tried to bring in a few bags of prepopped microwave popcorn to give to her kids. Wasn't even trying to hide it, like normal people. She was stopped, of course, and informed that she cannot bring them in. Next thing you know, she goes mad and starts throwing the bags at the employee, who was just trying to do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tasden wrote: »
    Best part of going to the cinema is the warm popcorn drenched in butter.

Yeah but thanks to someone ruining that a fair while ago, we only can get buttered popcorn in the Odeon cinemas! :rolleyes:
    I like Odeon and have been there a lot the paat few years before this year, but since having the cineworld card since last xmas, very hard to justify going some other cinema :p :pac:

14.75 got me a ticket , large popcorn and large coke on my last visit to the cinema

Woah!! Id say you must have went to cineworld or Odeon on a tuesday or wedensday for that price, of I want to know where you went?! lol :D

As someone mentioned already, cinemas keep shag all of the ticket sales. When I was working in one when Up was out, something like 70-80% of the ticket went back to the distributor. Cinemas have to have a policy and charge a fortune for food because, to be frank, most cinemas barely make a profit as is. Someone mentioned the Eye Cinema in Galway; this is an independent cinema with no other ones in a franchise, like the IMC. If they don't charge extra, there's no way in hell they'd be able to stay open. It's pretty simple.

You'd be amazed at what people try to smuggle in to the movies. You'd always get the people with sweets and even popcorn, but you'd get the chancers that bring in takeaway/fast food.

I remember one incident where a woman tried to bring in a few bags of prepopped microwave popcorn to give to her kids. Wasn't even trying to hide it, like normal people. She was stopped, of course, and informed that she cannot bring them in. Next thing you know, she goes mad and starts throwing the bags at the employee, who was just trying to do their job.

Well tbh, I dont and never have seen any problem bringing in whatever you like imho, as long as it doesnt smell very strong or makes loads more noise than most things would then I dont see the problem!?!

As long as I can remember Ive got sweets, popcorn, drinks whatever in the shops for the cinema, and yes on rare occaisons a small bit of fast food esp if tis early or an empty screen!

I only really ever got items like that in the cinema when I was small when they had the kids deal going to the kids club movie etc, a few times as a teen if twas cheap and twas a random cinema visit and not near any shops same as now, or if its the buttered popcorn, thats about it!

Great having the large poundshop beside Cineworld though recently, love it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Gannicus wrote: »
    Be annoyed. People go to Cafés or pubs to socialize yet they buy alcohol and nightclubs to dance and meet someone (even for a O.N.S.) and pay an admission yet if they were removed from bringing their own can in most reasonable people would say its the persons own fault.

Yes, people go to socialize as well, but if people did not buy anything in the pub, cafe, or nightclub, or pay an admission entrance, then they are filling up a space that could be used by a paying customer. The business would be well within their rights to eject that person. Somebody going into a cafe with their own food and sitting there for the day would be taking the p!ss.

People bringing in their own snacks to the cinema have already paid their entrance fee (price of the ticket) so they are not taking business away in the same way as the example above. They have paid to see the movie, so are not stealing, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Woah!! Id say you must have went to cineworld or Odeon on a tuesday or wedensday for that price, of I want to know where you went?! lol :D

Odeon cinema in Limerick. Wednesday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Yeah Wednesdays at odeon are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I like Odeon and have been there a lot the paat few years before this year, but since having the cineworld card since last xmas, very hard to justify going some other cinema :p :pac:

I love having an Unlimited Card for Cineworld. Year one you get 10% off food and at the bar and year two onwards you get 25% off food and at the bar. it saves a lot. I know its €250 for the card for the year but you can go as much as you want to 2d screenings for movies and 3d movies cost less than normal too.

Maybe other cinemas should try that to get customers in and buying food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The fact that its a hypothetical also means the comparison is moot on that basis alone. I'm not agreeing with people paying cinema prices against their will or agreeing with prices some cinemas charge for food I'm just likening it to something else planted in reality were is a similar incidence took place it would not be tolerated/
    What does this sentence even mean? Your situation where people were eating McDonalds in Burger King was a hypothetical.
    I love having an Unlimited Card for Cineworld. Year one you get 10% off food and at the bar and year two onwards you get 25% off food and at the bar. it saves a lot. I know its €250 for the card for the year but you can go as much as you want to 2d screenings for movies and 3d movies cost less than normal too.

Maybe other cinemas should try that to get customers in and buying food.
    No uplift for 3D on black card, but you still have to pay for glasses and IMAX(probably at a reduced rate).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wossack wrote: »
    jaysus, what a little dork

should have left him in the car

For standing up for his beliefs? I don't think that's very fair.

I think it took a lot of courage to not go with the "norm" in this case.

I buy the stuff in the cinema because I have money, when I didn't have money I snuck in my 25p packet of popcorn, 10p bag and bottle of cadet.

Let people do what the fcuk they want and stop being so judgemental.

Do people who purchase nothing, yet bring nothing with them also stealing business?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stealing

Your situation where people were eating McDonalds in Burger King was a hypothetical.

I'm saying if you did try it that it would not be tolerated and you'd be removed so why should the cinema be any different. I don't care myself but I would not be annoyed if cinemas took that approach..

I'm saying if you did try it that it would not be tolerated and you'd be removed so why should the cinema be any different. I don't care myself but I would not be annoyed if cinemas took that approach..

Tbh though, your paying for your ticket anyway, the sweets, popcorn etc are just extras that people may or may not bring in/buy, so I really cant see how it could be perceived as stealing really!

If you went and picked up the popcorn/bag of sweets or filled up your drink/icecream there with the cinemas produce then yes that could definitly be put out out there as stealing/making them lose money, but not buying it at all in the cinema and/or bringing the sweets etc in with you is just a choice imho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's stealing but I still don't think people should do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

It can be their policy all they like, not my problem they don't keep feck all of ticket sales. I've voted with my feet and won't be a cash cow for their poor business model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

This thread has made me realise that the majority of people in this country use a fork in their sugar bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

yipeeeee wrote: »
    This thread has made me realise that the majority of people in this country use a fork in their sugar bowl.

Where are going with a bowl, the sugar fits fine in the bag. Ya can't be going round buying bowls like your Richard Branson. :pac:

Tbh though, your paying for your ticket anyway, the sweets, popcorn etc are just extras that people may or may not bring in/buy, so I really cant see how it could be perceived as stealing really!

If you went and picked up the popcorn/bag of sweets or filled up your drink/icecream there with the cinemas produce then yes that could definitly be put out out there as stealing/making them lose money, but not buying it at all in the cinema and/or bringing the sweets etc in with you is just a choice imho :)

I've never said it was stealing. But if you pay in to a nightclub by all these definitions its okay to bring in a bottle of vodka or whiskey because you've paid in. but most reasonable people don't as they'd be ejected and prices of drinks in nightclubs and pubs in this country are far more overpriced than cinema food. I agree that some food items are overpriced in cinemas as I've said but I've also said I understand the reasons behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I've never said it was stealing. But if you pay in to a nightclub by all these definitions its okay to bring in a bottle of vodka or whiskey because you've paid in. but most reasonable people don't as they'd be ejected and prices of drinks in nightclubs and pubs in this country are far more overpriced than cinema food. I agree that some food items are overpriced in cinemas as I've said but I've also said I understand the reasons behind it.

A nightclub is just a pub with a dance floor.
    It's not fair to compare it like that!

Now if you said bringing food into the cinema was like bringing an iPod and headphones to a nightclub and listening to your own music.....:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    A nightclub is just a pub with a dance floor.
    It's not fair to compare it like that!

Now if you said bringing food into the cinema was like bringing an iPod and headphones to a nightclub and listening to your own music.....:pac:

It perfectly a fair comparison you pay in to be allowed to dance, socialize and stay out later than regular pubs nobody forces you to drink but you'd still be turfed for bringing in your own

We'll go another way then.

You go to a gig to see a band or comedian. You're paying to see the act yes? I'm sure we can agree on that much.

You're still searched to see if you're bringing in booze (depending where you're going). If you were caught with it you'd either have it confiscated or be told you're leaving if you're caught with it during the gig. Now that's a pretty fair comparison

• Advertisement

It can be their policy all they like, not my problem they don't keep feck all of ticket sales. I've voted with my feet and won't be a cash cow for their poor business model.

So you're not going to any cinema then? As most have the same policies, but just some are more strict about it.

People keep comparing cinemas to things like pubs, cafes, and clubs. It would only be the same if there was a cover charge to enter these places and the majority of the money went to someone else altogether. If this were the case, then every business would hike up the price of everything they have.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

So you're not going to any cinema then? As most have the same policies, but just some are more strict about it.

People keep comparing cinemas to things like pubs, cafes, and clubs. It would only be the same if there was a cover charge to enter these places and the majority of the money went to someone else altogether. If this were the case, then every business would hike up the price of everything they have.0

No cinema at all, saving a fortune.

There are similarities to pubs, they thought they could charge a fortune too. Now they're squealing about supermarkets and off licenses. Doesn't bother me as I don't frequent pubs anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I don't scarf sweets at home and I don't do it in the cinema either. I'm there to watch a film, not listen to people rustling packets, masticating and slurping diabetes fuel.

I think if you feel compelled to eat a bag full of crap just because you're at the cinema you need to have a think to yourself as to why. You could have a proper meal afterward for the price nearly.

Must be hard being so ****ing miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"Contraband: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It is exactly the attitude of that lady described in the op - an absolute wanting and sniggering lack of ethics - (albeit applied at the upper echelons of society) that caused this country to fall to sh!t.

It is completely and utterly shameful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What does this sentence even mean? Your situation where people were eating McDonalds in Burger King was a hypothetical.

No uplift for 3D on black card, but you still have to pay for glasses and IMAX(probably at a reduced rate).

That IMAX isn't worth going to anyway since it's digital/liemax, anyone who pays the full price to go to cineworld IMAX screen is a fool, and anyone who pays full price to go to any of the poverty knock offs, like omniplexs hilarious attempt at scrounging money with omnimaxx, is even worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wouldn't pay the ridiculous €18 price for cineworld's imax screen, but its €4.50 on my unlimited card, so fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

cloud493 wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay the ridiculous €18 price for cineworld's imax screen, but its €4.50 on my unlimited card, so fair enough.

The thing is, €18 wouldn't be a ridiculous price for the IMAX screen if it was a proper 70mm film projector if it's actually a movie with 70mm scenes, but it's just disgraceful that they charge the same for both. Digital IMAX shouldn't be any more than €12-€14. Anyone who pays €18 for the screen is paying the same, and actually more than one, as people in UK who actually are getting the true experience.

Odeon should really invest in getting a ~20m 70mm IMAX screen setup over here and promote the sh!t out of it, take the business off of frauding cinemaworld. There's definitely a demand for it also, if they set it up in a nice, busy place that's easy to get to people from all over the country, even the north, would travel for movies like TDKR and Interstellar. Lots of people, including myself, are flying to UK just to see Interstellar lol. And more directors are picking up on filming IMAX scenes so movies using it are gonna get more frequent, along with the work the company themselves are even putting in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I've never a movie on a proper imax screen, so I cant compare it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

When I was a kid I didnt get loads of pounds off my parents so buying cinema coke and popcorn wasnt an option.

Now that I have a job I can afford Cinema Popcorn and Coke.

Advertisement