Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Good luck getting that anywhere anymore.

Only popcorn ive seen in cinemas is that awful sweatened and salted rubbish

Thats why I bring my own pre-melted butter with me.

I don't know why but they stopped adding butter to popcorn in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

mikeym wrote: »
    When I was a kid I didnt get loads of pounds off my parents so buying cinema coke and popcorn wasnt an option.

Now that I have a job I can afford Cinema Popcorn and Coke.

That's right no such thing as a free lunch, you want popcorn you go out and earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Cinema popcorn is vile with the amount of salt on it. Might as well get a container of Saxo and pour it down my throat during the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

can they take drinks and sweets off ya, if they somehow see you trying to sneak them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Cinema popcorn is vile with the amount of salt on it. Might as well get a container of Saxo and pour it down my throat during the movie

having worked in a cinema, I can tell you that the Great Unwashed do nothing but ask for more salt.

• Advertisement

I was bringing 4 kids to see Annabelle in Odeon last night, they were going on 15 but refused access because it was a 16 film.
    Place was deserted. I took them home and they watched it in my living room on a 42" TV.
    Saved a fortune, thanks to the App that can't be mentioned and a Chromecast. Kids enjoyed it, it was in HD and they had home made popcorn and drinks from Centra.
    I don't buy food in cinema unless Am bringing a group for a special treat like last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I hate salty popcorn, its gross. Most cinemas don't seem to serve sweet popcorn so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Fine to bring in sweets, crisps, popcorn etc.

Crisps are really noisy to eat. Note that cinemas don't sell them! Nachos, yeah but they soften with the sauce. So bringing in crisps is not cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Have to laugh at the people who blank point refuse to buy it on principle - do you smuggle cans into your local pub/club as well? The amount of people I see complaining about popcorn prices and refusing to buy it, who think nothing of spending €5 per pint on a night out, all night - far more regularly than they'd go to the cinema!

My thoughts too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I went to ODEN's website - but couldn't find anything in their FAQs about not allowing outside food/drink. Are these official policies - or is it just a social norm not to do so?

• Advertisement

Some places have it as a big rule, some might have it on the premises, and some its just an unwritten rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

OldGoat wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been turned out of a cinema for bringing in their own sweets?

I had my sweets taken into escrow at the cinema in tralee circa 1992.

A coach load of us were stopped and searched on the way in. The manager kept the sweets until we were leaving.

These days they don't seem to care. Cineworld and Odeon Blanch both have rival retailers right next door with people openly walking in with plastic bags full of food and soft drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Gannicus wrote: »
    I've never said it was stealing. But if you pay in to a nightclub by all these definitions its okay to bring in a bottle of vodka or whiskey because you've paid in. but most reasonable people don't as they'd be ejected and prices of drinks in nightclubs and pubs in this country are far more overpriced than cinema food. I agree that some food items are overpriced in cinemas as I've said but I've also said I understand the reasons behind it.

Stop making the same terrible comparison. It's closer to bringing your own cigarettes to the night club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Stop making the same terrible comparison. It's closer to bringing your own cigarettes to the night club.

It's only a terrible comparison because you can't refute it. Bringing your own cigarettes to a night club is nothing like that at all.

It a poor justification for doing something that's ethically wrong. A lot of people know in their heart of hearts its wrong that's why people sneak the goodies in, instead of just walking in with them.

People still go to Eddie Rockets and their prices are extortionate when there's so many other places where the food costs less but is still as nice. People go to certain pubs just for the name of the place and pay through the nose for pints... that taste as good or as bad as places that sell the exact same thing for €1 - €2 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Gannicus wrote: »
    It a poor justification for doing something that's ethically wrong.

:rolleyes:

The only reason people don't bring their own drink into nightclubs is because you'll be turfed out if you do. There's no moral dilemma to it, nobody stops to consider how the management will make ends meet or if shareholders profits will drop.
    If a nightclub allowed people to bring in their own drink, people wouldn't refuse because it's "ethically wrong", they'd have cheap nagons on every table.

:rolleyes:

The only reason people don't bring their own drink into nightclubs is because you'll be turfed out if you do. There's no moral dilemma to it, nobody stops to consider how the management will make ends meet or if shareholders profits will drop.
    If a nightclub allowed people to bring in their own drink, people wouldn't refuse because it's "ethically wrong", they'd have cheap nagons on every table.

That part in bold exactly my point. I've said that in previous posts. People keep saying its a poor comparison when its not, its the same comparison just in a different social environment.

But the purpose of a nightclub (as a business) is surely to sell alcohol at inflated rates. Meanwhile a cinema is a place to watch movies, the sweet shop part is (or rather should) be secondary.

cloud493 wrote: »
    But the purpose of a nightclub (as a business) is surely to sell alcohol at inflated rates. Meanwhile a cinema is a place to watch movies, the sweet shop part is (or rather should) be secondary.

The primary purpose of pubs and less-so nightclubs is to entertain people like a cinema - hence why nightclubs charge in, because people generally drink less as the are dancing/mooching or trying it on with someone so they need to make up the difference with entrance fees so booze is secondary in that respect just like confectionery in cinema

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    One of the kids refused as his parents had taught him it was stealing.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

I bring my own booze and grub to the park, lakeshore, open-air concert rather than buy from stands and stalls. Don't see the cinema as any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭josip

We never buy those overpriced packs of popcorn from retail outlets.
    We grow our own maize and bring the kernels to the cinema where we pop it on a Camping Gaz stove.
    We churn our own butter and we melt that on the stove too.
    We usually slip the usher a fifty to turn a blind eye and we've never been asked to leave yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Buying a box of popcorn at the cinema is vital for a date….how else are you going to make a hole in the bottom for your cock?...

D-FENS wrote: »
    Buying a box of popcorn at the cinema is vital for a date….how else are you going to make a hole in the bottom for your cock?...

And that's why most cinemas don't put butter on popcorn any more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

1000% markup popcorn

Yes it's theft by the movie house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Is that powdered alcohol stuff coming out soon or is it not happening at all? Bringing your own alcohol into clubs will be a lot easier once that's available, would imagine it being easier would result in a big increase of people bringing it in with them

Powdered alcohol sounds revolting :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Is that powdered alcohol stuff coming out soon or is it not happening at all? Bringing your own alcohol into clubs will be a lot easier once that's available, would imagine it being easier would result in a big increase of people bringing it in with them
    Think it was banned in the US, not sure about the EU yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Does anyone have an experience of being stopped bringing your own food in? I haven't.

I have to say, the last time at the cinema, I got the large nachos at the odeon. They were gorgeous. Really fresh. The quantity was laughable though. A standard packet of tayto's worth with 3 dips.

I have, once or twice. Jumped up cinema employees saying they 'had to search my bag' before entering the screen :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

deco nate wrote: »
    Think it was banned in the US, not sure about the EU yet.

Haha really? That didn't last long. I remember seeing an original article about it and lots of people were asking if you could snort it and get instantly drunk

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

Is their surname McWanker?
    Is "flipping heck" a dire swear to them and is "Buzz off!" the term used when their patience is really tested? :pac:

Advertisement