Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

Food isnt really even that expensive in the cinema though, on Wednesday, all movies (except 3d) in IMC Tallaght are a tenner with a medium drink and popcorm. Vue Liffey Valley do two large combos (large drink and popcorn) for 13 all the time. I don't at eat the cinema but friends who do and would go max twice a month find it easier and more enjoyable for them to buy cinema food. I think its more the mentality of how big they seem and that's its kind of a treat to them.

I think what the OP's SO did was terrible, kids meals are a fiver, if the other kids were happy with theres I don't see what harm it was to buy him one, if she was that worried about the cost she could have asked his mother for the cash when he was being brought home. IMO it was petty and probably made the child uncomfortable and upset.

I would also advocate going somewhere like IFI for films anyway. It's much more enjoyable and they have a restaurant but no confectionery. Anybody who wants food there buys it outside. Plus all this blockbuster b*llsh*t isn't worth p*ssing on it if was on fire let alone paying 12 to go see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

It cost my wife and I just over fifteen euro to go see Gone Girl at two o'clock yesterday. We bought our sweets in the two-euro shop around the corner, which added a fiver.

If the cinema had a strict no-outside-food policy, would we have gone? Probably not; buying in the cinema would have pushed the total cost to maybe thirty euro for two people, which is beyond the point at which we'd be willing to pay.

Ultimately, though, cinemas will die. They're not going to be sustainable in the long run. Gone Girl is a cracking film, but it wouldn't have been any less impressive on a 32-inch HDTV. A cinema screen versus a 14-inch television with no widescreen and a terrible pixel count is no contest; a cinema screen versus a 32-inch full-HD flatscreen television is close to being a dead heat. Most films just don't gain much by being watched in the cinema, and sooner or later they simply won't go to the cinema. Lincoln and Behind The Candleabra were both critically acclaimed films with top-quality casts and superb scripts, but both films came very close to being released on HBO or Netflix. We're rapidly approaching the point where the "serious" films, for want of a better word, will never grace a cinema screen, and once that happens then nothing will be left for the cinemas but big, loud action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well if I want to go to either cineworld or swords cinema

My ticket is roughly €11
    A small popcorn is €4
    A drink of coke is €3.

Thats 18 euro for one person. Course thats prices at peak time, if I go the cinema before 5pm I get my ticket for €5, but still. I cant help but think the cinema would rather I buy a ticket, and bring in a bag of sweets, then stay at home and either not come to the cinema at all or torrent my movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    Food isnt really even that expensive in the cinema though, on Wednesday, all movies (except 3d) in IMC Tallaght are a tenner with a medium drink and popcorm. Vue Liffey Valley do two large combos (large drink and popcorn) for 13 all the time. I don't at eat the cinema but friends who do and would go max twice a month find it easier and more enjoyable for them to buy cinema food. I think its more the mentality of how big they seem and that's its kind of a treat to them.

I think what the OP's SO did was terrible, kids meals are a fiver, if the other kids were happy with theres I don't see what harm it was to buy him one, if she was that worried about the cost she could have asked his mother for the cash when he was being brought home. IMO it was petty and probably made the child uncomfortable and upset.

I would also advocate going somewhere like IFI for films anyway. It's much more enjoyable and they have a restaurant but no confectionery. Anybody who wants food there buys it outside. Plus all this blockbuster b*llsh*t isn't worth p*ssing on it if was on fire let alone paying 12 to go see.

You can buy popcorn, a can of coke and a big bag of malteasers for under a fiver in the shop beside Cineworld. Why would ya waste your hard earned cash? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I don't know what world you live in where two drinks and two popcorns for €13 isn't expensive

And the fact that that's a value deal, rather than the normal price is even worse

• Advertisement

You can buy popcorn, a can of coke and a big bag of malteasers for under a fiver in the shop beside Cineworld. Why would ya waste your hard earned cash? :confused:

Because it isn't a waste of money to some people. Some people enjoy that the popcorn is hot or buttered and that the coke has ice. It also stops the annpying rustling of bags.

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    Because it isn't a waste of money to some people. Some people enjoy that the popcorn is hot or buttered and that the coke has ice. It also stops the annpying rustling of bags.

Popcorn in the cinema is usually bleh in my opinion. I haven't had buttered popcorn in years, what cinemas still do buttered popcorn?

I also hate ice, you get more ice than coke.

I'm sorry but 13 euro for a coke and a popcorn is a complete and utter waste of money.

I don't know what world you live in where two drinks and two popcorns for €13 isn't expensive

And the fact that that's a value deal, rather than the normal price is even worse

Compared to the alternative of going to a pub or a concert and spending a fortune there, €33 for two people for tickets, and food for both is not expensive.

It isn't a value deal? its the normal price. Works out at 6.50 a person

Popcorn in the cinema is usually bleh in my opinion. I haven't had buttered popcorn in years, what cinemas still do buttered popcorn?

I also hate ice, you get more ice than coke.

I'm sorry but 13 euro for a coke and a popcorn is a complete and utter waste of money.

You get two large popcorns and two large drinks for that.

Me too so I choose not to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I got in a tanker with washed diesel once.

It was a drive in.

Boom Boom.

No?
    Gets coat.

• Advertisement

I'd rather just stay at home and watch it on my laptop and be out nothing. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

It cost my wife and I just over fifteen euro to go see Gone Girl at two o'clock yesterday. We bought our sweets in the two-euro shop around the corner, which added a fiver.

If the cinema had a strict no-outside-food policy, would we have gone? Probably not;

Why?

Do you find it impossible to go 90minutes without eating sweets?

Why?

Gone girl is just shy of 2 and a half hours, not including trailers.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Gone girl is just shy of 2 and a half hours, not including trailers.

So? I don't see how someone can't go three hours without eating sh*te. Eat before or after.

Its not a crime is it? I enjoy it. Most cinemas try to include it in your tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Lincoln and Behind The Candleabra were both critically acclaimed films with top-quality casts and superb scripts, but both films came very close to being released on HBO or Netflix. We're rapidly approaching the point where the "serious" films, for want of a better word, will never grace a cinema screen, and once that happens then nothing will be left for the cinemas but big, loud action.

I agree to A point. I look at the States, where friends live and they make decent money with gimmick nights. I went to a place that shows kung-fu movies once a week. There is also another place that shows an old/classic movie the last Friday of the month, they do meal deals with the tickets. My mate say these places clean up each time because there is such a large back catalogue of these types of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Why?

Yes, that is clearly what I meant.

I like having a sweet snack while watching a film. If my local cinema prevented me from bringing my own snacks in, I'd go to the cinema less.

The business structure of cinemas in this country is far too rigid.

I think that even if they lowered the price of food here nowadays people would still be less inclined to buy it in there as they have been institutionalized to believe its too expensive.

Also I can't see cinemas being willing to lower prices because if more people bought cinema food profits would rise and the company would be even less incentivised to lower their prices then as they'd try milk it.

Like any other industry with limited competition someone will have to make the first move and draw customers in that way for others to follow suit.

Actually.

Here's one. How much more would you be willing to pay for a ticket if it meant they would be willing to lower the price of sweets to match general newsagents etc? Because I reckon if they did that then this thread would turn into "Why a cinema tickets so bloody expensive?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Some people are implying that to bring in outside food is akin to stealing from the establishment, but what of the case of a person who doesn't buy or bring food/drinks?

They've paid as much Davos Seaworth, are they committing the same crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,659 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some people are implying that to bring in outside food is akin to stealing from the establishment, but what of the case of a person who doesn't buy or bring food/drinks?

Yeah, I don't particularly want to eat cinema food, apart from the price, it's junk. I can go the length of a film without stuffing my face with rubbish.

I do smuggle booze into the cinema though. Not cans or anything overt, maybe a naggin of Captain Morgans or something in a hip flask. Buy a coke for myself and the missus or whoever I'm with and pop the lids off.

This would be in evenings on a night out by the way, I wouldn't be doing this in the morning/afternoon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    One of the kids refused as his parents had taught him it was stealing.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

the only way the cinema makes money is with their "1000%" markup....

If the cinema for example wants to show the new avengers film it must firstly rent the film from the distribution company which costs a forturne... then they must also pay a large % of their gate takings... so ya way to stick it to the man

I wouldn't say its akin to stealing but to be fair would you:

walk into a cafe and pour a cup of coffee you brought from home,
    or
    sit in a pub and start cracking cans you bought in Tesco,
    or
    go into a McDonalds and start eating a Burger King.

The answer in most cases is NO because, if you were caught you would be asked to leave or be removed from the premises. I know its expensive but I wouldn't liken it to stealing. The cinemas claim that it has the effect as stealing i.e. the are losing revenue due to people bringing in their own stuff so they have to increase the cost to those who are buying in the cinema.

But surely thats still better than not spending the money for a ticket at all. I'm not sure the mcdonalds comparison is the best to make, since I have to pay in to sit in a cinema at all, while I can go sit in mcdonalds and do nothing (in theory) which costs them space that could be used by someone who pays for food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Gannicus wrote: »
    institutionalized to believe its too expensive.

€5 for popcorn isn't institutionalized, it's daylight robbery.

They're completely anal about outside food in one of the cinemas in Galway, Eye cinema I think it is. To the point I just don't go now, will watch on TV or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

€5 for popcorn isn't institutionalized, it's daylight robbery.

They're completely anal about outside food in one of the cinemas in Galway, Eye cinema I think it is. To the point I just don't go now, will watch on TV or online.

€5? Where you getting that bargain?
    Its usually 6 or 7 or 10 with a coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

or
    or

The answer in most cases is NO because, if you were caught you would be asked to leave or be removed from the premises. I know its expensive but I wouldn't liken it to stealing. The cinemas claim that it has the effect as stealing i.e. the are losing revenue due to people bringing in their own stuff so they have to increase the cost to those who are buying in the cinema.

This kind of comparison annoys me. People go to the cinema to watch the movie (well that should be the main reason, but it appears a lot of people just use it as an excuse to stuff their face under the cover of darkness) and the ticket has been paid for. If people went in without paying for the ticket then it is stealing.

People go to the pub to drink, for the most part, so to use their facilities you buy drink, so you can't compare the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Rory28 wrote: »
    €5? Where you getting that bargain?
    Its usually 6 or 7 or 10 with a coke.

Getting it for less at home now that's for sure :D

Could probably buy a projector for the laptop with the munchies savings :cool:

Eutow wrote: »
    This kind of comparison annoys me. People go to the cinema to watch the movie (well that should be the main reason, but it appears a lot of people just use it as an excuse to stuff their face under the cover of darkness) and the ticket has been paid for. If people went in without paying for the ticket then it is stealing.

People go to the pub to drink, for the most part, so to use their facilities you buy drink, so you can't compare the two.

Be annoyed. People go to Cafés or pubs to socialize yet they buy alcohol and nightclubs to dance and meet someone (even for a O.N.S.) and pay an admission yet if they were removed from bringing their own can in most reasonable people would say its the persons own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

or
    or

It's not really a direct comparison.

In my opinion the following hypothetical is a closer comparison:
    You go to a coffee shop that also sells newspapers. You buy a coffee and take a book out of your bag and read that instead of buying one of their newspapers.

• Advertisement

It's not really a direct comparison.

In my opinion the following hypothetical is a closer comparison:

The fact that its a hypothetical also means the comparison is moot on that basis alone. I'm not agreeing with people paying cinema prices against their will or agreeing with prices some cinemas charge for food I'm just likening it to something else planted in reality were is a similar incidence took place it would not be tolerated/

Advertisement