Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Agricola wrote: »
    There really should be different cinemas for people who actually give a fúck about the film they are going to see and the rest who just want somewhere to go to stuff their face.

You can go to the IFI for that experience but it comes with an entirely new set of gimps. There's various people that like to make a myriad of different obnoxious noises to convey how they feel about the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The 'let him go hungry bit' there - Jaysus, he's only a child. Ostracising him for the sake of a few extra quid is a bit harsh imo. Granted it's pretty full whack to buy food in the cinema but she could have purchased him something, the cheapest thing on the menu even. Despite the glaring oddity from the little fella he still shouldn't have been excluded.

Did that kid's parents know he was being taken to the cinema?
    Surely they should have donated a few quid for food if they knew the crazy prices in the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

If I'm smuggling it's Mcflurry and a bottle of water but I'd often get the kids combo tray in the cinema, find its plenty and I'm fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Ranchu wrote: »
    You can go to the IFI for that experience but it comes with an entirely new set of gimps. There's various people that like to make a myriad of different obnoxious noises to convey how they feel about the film.

Oh god yeah, from my experience there's:
    - person who can't tolerate people talking and is very confrontational about it, even if it's the f*cking carlton screen advertisements
    - person who has a preferred seat and throws a strop if they're asked to move in
    - that one dude who has to show that he gets every subtle joke and refers with a big guffaw (also that awful polite laugh that every joke gets like you have in the threatre, can't stand that and it happens a lot in the IFI from my experience)
    - me

...I like the place though, screen 2 especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Myself and a friend were stopped twice for bag searches in my local cinema when I was living in England. We were not particularly inclined to allow a random person snoop in our bags so said no each time. So both times they told us we had to leave our bags behind the ticket counter. We went along with it the first time, but when it happened again we said we'd prefer to just have a refund and leave. They were so rude to us both times, yet we stumped them when we requested the refund. They just let us off....

Recently, a cinema in Galway told my OH that she couldn't bring her backpack into the screening because it was a "fire hazard". She opened the backpack and showed them an orthopaedic pillow that she needed to use for a little while post-op. So they let her bring the backpack in.. fire hazard that it is! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Ste- wrote: »
    going to a restaraunt and bringing your own food.
    Or if you watched your own film in the cinema.

That sounds like a great first date

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Couldn't care less as long as people don't bring in ridiculously loud wrapped foods. This one kunt behind me had a packet of sweets before where each individual sweet was wrapped...who honestly makes that much noise without even thinking about the noise it's making

Open your packets of food before the movie starts so you don't interrupt the movie. Don't understand why people always need to bring or eat food during movies. Just sit fuking still, stay quiet and watch the movie you paid to see along with hundreds of other people or else wait for it to come out on dvd and watch it at home where you can do whatever you want without being considered a kunt by hundreds of strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

€3.50 for a fizzy contour bottle. cinema prices are extortionate. i always bring in food in a bag. i've been told by my partner who worked in a cinema for a few years that 'technically' can't stop you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Scannal wrote: »
    Why do we need food in the cinema anyway? It's only a couple of hours, you could eat beforehand or after.

Give this person a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

My opinion would be that you are an absolute scumbag if you bring in contraband.

The margins on tickets is very small, the food is how these establishments make their money. That's peoples jobs and livelihood you are talking about there. Stop trying to game the system. Taking the bread off another man's table is amongst the lowest of lows in my book. I'm not too fond of the prices myself, who is, but pay your way lads, ffs.

Can't believe that woman in the op stopped in Centra with the kids. Fair play to that young man for sticking it to her. Good to see a glimmer of ethics at play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

myshirt wrote: »
    My opinion would be that you are an absolute scumbag if you bring in contraband.

The margins on tickets is very small, the food is how these establishments make their money. That's peoples jobs and livelihood you are talking about there. Stop trying to game the system. Taking the bread off another man's table is amongst the lowest of lows in my book. I'm not too fond of the prices myself, who is, but pay your way lads, ffs.

Can't believe that woman in the op stopped in Centra with the kids. Fair play to that young man for sticking it to her. Good to see a glimmer of ethics at play.

Absolute scumbag?

Bit harsh, jaysus it's not like i'm going in and pissing on the seats and starting fights while i'm at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Packet of jellies and sneaky naggin. Sorted. I don't get out much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So not paying a ridiculous amount for a stupid amount of stale popcorn is akin to taking bread off a mans table? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

cloud493 wrote: »
    So not paying a ridiculous amount for a stupid amount of stale popcorn is akin to taking bread off a mans table? :rolleyes:

Yes, of course.

The business is based on you paying your way if you want to transact with that business; not on you exploiting arbitrage opportunities.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Agreed.

But there was 2 times I was funny while tipsy in the cinema. Both times i was trying to just say the joke to my mates but it was a bit louder.

One was during M.N.Shwarmas "The Village".... I'd had enough about 50 minutes in and just straight up went (to myself, but quiet loudly in hindsight) "Oh god when the f*** is this film going to kick off, so f***ing boring".
    Queue some local lols in the proximity.

Other one was "Walking Tall" with the Rock and George Formann.
    George Formann to the Rock: "There's just one thing I want from you"
    Me: "A shot at the title belt at the Royal Rumble"
    Many lols.

The rest of the time I was probably being a nuisance

No, you were being a nusiance every time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I remember being able to smoke in the Stella cinema in Rathmines as a young one God be with the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Business basics, if your margins are too low, then you have two options - increase prices or reduce costs. The public is already demonstrating they won't pay increased prices, so then you reduce costs... I'm sorry but Reese Witherspoon or Tom Cruise doesn't need another ten million and the studio boss doesn't need another island, so stop charging the cinemas so much for movies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've always brought food at the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yes, of course.

The business is based on you paying your way if you want to transact with that business; not on you exploiting arbitrage opportunities.

But I'm going the cinema to see a movie. I purchase my ticket, thats our business. Whether I purchase stale popcorn in there, or get jellies from the shop next door, is immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Don't get this must have popcorn, coke and whatnot like a sugar crazed teenager thing. I'd never do that on any other occasion so why is it 'the done thing' while watching a movie? I wouldn't do it at home while watching a film. Why do people associate cinema with eating bags of sh1te?

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Don't get this must have popcorn, coke and whatnot like a sugar crazed teenager thing. I'd never do that on any other occasion so why is it 'the done thing' while watching a movie? I wouldn't do it at home while watching a film. Why do people associate cinema with eating bags of sh1te?

Probably deeply engrained in some people since childhood where they were always bought sweets and fizzy drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nowt wrong with sneaking stuff in, its a rush

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

Thats sad to leave a kid there looking at other kids eating sweets and not get any for him just to prove a point, at the end of the day he is a kid and is only trying to do his best by his parents (as everyone hopes their kids will do) so punishing him for that is wrong. Could your wife not just have bought him a pack of MnM's or something? I mean I know it is a massive mark up and all but it's not his fault if his parents are stingy.In his eyes your wife invited him out with his friends and brought him to the cinema, for a kid that entails being spoiled with sweets and popcorn and fun and ice-cream. By letting him sit there and go hungry she probably spoiled what, for most kids, is an awesome not often experienced day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Boskowski wrote: »

Yeah I don't get it either, some of my friends go absolutely bananas with the amount of ****e they get when they go to the cinema. I'd say fair enough if it's a one off or taking the kids etc but when you go on a monthly basis etc is seems a bit much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you ever bring salt and vinegar crisps into a film you're scum. Subhuman scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i always buy the popcorn because i like it alot and it completes your time at the cinema. but i bring in my own drink and whatever else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

The nearest shop usually sorts me out before I go to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Owning a spar/centra etc beside a cinema must be a fooking goldmine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Owning a spar/centra etc beside a cinema must be a fooking goldmine

not always, the shell garage next to our local cinema would up its prices of manhattan popcorn to lower than the cinema price but higher than it was sold anywhere else, same for pick and mix and bottled drinks, so we would buy them in our local shop before walking to the cinema if we were on a budget (which we almost always were back then)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

With a cinema ticket costing 12 euro in Cineworld and as much as 17/18 for 3D/IMAX I am not going to lose any sleep over their loss of business on confectionary.

Advertisement