Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I always buy all my stuff in the shop beforehand, such a waste of money to buy it in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    One of the kids refused as his parents had taught him it was stealing.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

Was the kid from D4 by chance with a doctor daddy and do-gooder mommy

By the way, I dont buy food in the cinema as is it expensive enough, I bought a coffee the other week and the lid was not the correct one, so first mouthful I had spllied the coffee all over me.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

Not all drunks are loud!! I can be silently sozzled throughout the film.
    You don't even have to get drunk, just a few beers to enhance the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

allibastor wrote: »
    I bought a coffee the other week and the lid was not the correct one, so first mouthful I had spllied the coffee all over me.

AHAHAHAHAHA
    :pac::pac::pac:

(hope you're ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I hate booze at the cinema. It's a total pet peeve of mine. Go to a bar and drink! Or a restaurant or a club or comedy club or concert or any of the other 100's of places they sell booze. Hate eating in the cinema too, all that rustling and ppphhhsssstt of bottles pisses me right off. its 2 hours I think you can hold off for that long. I can forgive cinema bought food though. No bags and no bottle lids.

Plus trying to watch Babadook with some lad beside me eating a 2 in 1 and enjoying his coors totally ruined the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, I always bring food/drinks into the cinema. That's what large handbags are for!

Whenever I went to the cinema in my hometown I'd always get snacks for pretty much nothing, as I was friends with a good few of the staff there. Used to get popcorn, drink, nachos, sweets for about 50c :D Very rarely get popcorn cinema anymore, it's usually stored in binbags for a few days...and doesn't even taste great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,272 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I only buy there if I am on a date.

Always bring something.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Buy popcorn in cinema but would often bring our own stuff. Always hide it and feel like a loser for being nervous when handing ticket to guy, as if he cares!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Tasden wrote: »
    Best part of going to the cinema is the warm popcorn drenched in butter.

I always thought it was the film... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Am I the only one who likes the big tub of coke in the cinema compared to the plastic bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Fine to bring in sweets, crisps, popcorn etc.

I draw the line at fast food and alcohol though.

Agreed. Couple of years ago, I went to the flicks with my landlord - he brought two entire Mickey D's meals in with him... morto and stinking of grease by the end of the movie :confused:

Anyway, my two cents: took my youngest to The Boxtrolls this afternoon. Bought two "halloween special" packs of chewie yokes and Cadbury's buttons in a garage on the way for €2, all in. She hardly made a dent in them and they go towards treat-or-treat for tomorrow night. Result all round. (Cinema price for one equally sized pack of Maltesers: €2.50 :eek:)

In the interests of full-disclosure, I did treat myself to popcorn... nothing like movies popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Mickey H wrote: »
    I always thought it was the film... :D

:o I have been known to go to any old film on bargain Wednesday if there's nothing in particular on that I want to see, purely just to sit and eat buttered popcorn and nachos

If it wasn't for the food at the cinema I'd just watch movies online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

We normally get popcorn in the cinema but everything else gets smuggled in. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't pay those ridiculous prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Odeon nachos and cheese.

Best food ever.

Isn't it the case cinemas make nothing off ticket sales only off food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Odeon nachos and cheese.

Best food ever.

My soulmate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Manhattan all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nothing more irritating than people munching on popcorn and slurping through straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

Is it still very rascal mc rogue to smuggle sweets into the cinema? I thought it was infact encouraged by staff - since it can't be policed...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Apart from the occasional portion of popcorn, I always smuggle everything else in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

When I'm bringing kids to the cinema it's off to the shop I go.

When I don't have kids I'm all about the hot dog and ben and Jerry's and coca cola for moi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Odeon nachos and cheese.

Best food ever.

Isn't it the case cinemas make nothing off ticket sales only off food?

Mostly, yeah.

From a staffing point of view though, our general attitude was that yes, we know you're sneaking in piles of food, but we'll get in trouble if we're seen letting it go.

So at least have the manners to try hiding it when walking past the ticket check. Then everybody's happy. :D

Although I will say, in a strange way, I always resented it when somebody went to the rounds of sneaking food in and yet chose to sneak in fruit. That just... ain't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

CentimoSal wrote: »
    I thought it was infact encouraged by staff - since it can't be policed...

Ah yeah, sure they love cleaning up the aftermath. They f*cking love scooping up the crumbs, wrappers and mopping up the fizzy drink spills after the flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Putin wrote: »
    Apart from the occasional portion of popcorn, I always smuggle everything else in.

Same here, the only thing I might buy inside the cinema is popcorn.

Ah yeah, sure they love cleaning up the aftermath. They f*cking love scooping up the crumbs, wrappers and mopping up the fizzy drink spills after the flick.

One of the others I worked with was once handed a big cup of puke as the audience left the screen.

It was nasty, but prompted a very spirited philosophical debate - is it grosser to be handed the cup of puke, or to have to clean it from the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

One of the others I worked with was once handed a big cup of puke as the audience left the screen.

It was nasty, but prompted a very spirited philosophical debate - is it grosser to be handed the cup of puke, or to have to clean it from the floor?

Isn't the public lovely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jaysus. They couldn't have carried it the whole way to the loo themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

My experience with Cineworld in Dublin, is that they don't really care. With the cost of the unlimited card, I'm a little more willing to buy some popcorn or ice cream, plus the 20% discount helps.

Jaysus. They couldn't have carried it the whole way to the loo themselves?

Shur that's why cinema workers are paid so highly. :rolleyes:

To this day I can't look at Candy King pick n' mix the same. :(

We did occasionally find used nappies in the screens, which raised so many, many questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My experience with Cineworld in Dublin, is that they don't really care. With the cost of the unlimited card, I'm a little more willing to buy some popcorn or ice cream, plus the 20% discount helps.

They don't, but the value is more than enough for me to keep coming back. Least the seats are comfy, the screen is generally clean and well run. Some cinemas are just appalling all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There really should be different cinemas for people who actually give a fúck about the film they are going to see and the rest who just want somewhere to go to stuff their face.

Advertisement