Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW timing chain problem

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya i knew yours was a smoking issue.
    I asked - what was the issue with your 750 not
    - was that the issue.
    How much would bmw charge if your repair was done at them?

Ah apologies. Mines a 740 with 4l N62.
    There's various ways of replacing the stem seals, some more labour intensive than others. I've only seen american dealer quotes, they come in at around $6000-$8000. Lots of reports of these prices, pretty consistent.

Perfect Car in Dundalk did mine for €1300ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

N52 ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

Folks,

I have been reading about this timing chain problem in the BMW 520d and it seems quite prevalent. I have a 2009 520d Touring with 145,000 miles on her. She is driving well, no rattles, sounds, problems at all. Seems solid and a great drive. Should I consider replacing the timing chain or is there anything that I can do to mitigate against this?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

They usually give a noise for a few thousand miles before they fail. No need to incur unnecessary expense.

The prevalence of this issue is overstated, in reality its occurrence rate is probably low single digits.

Advertisement