Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW timing chain problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

whiterebel wrote: »
    Nackered?
    galwaytt wrote: »
    ...you need a glass half-full approach...

I've had two 320d cars with the N47 engine. My first one was a 2009 car and I have now passed it on to my son-in-law. I am presently driving a 2013 car. Both are going well with no problem so far. However I have taken the precaution of changing the oil every 10k miles max because I know there is a problem out there. I have also been sure to use the correct oil specification, ACEA C3, LL-04.

I know several people who are also running the N47 engine and no-one who is known personally to me has had an engine failure. How many people on here know first-hand of an engine failure? How many people on here know first-hand of more than one engine failure? No doubt there will be a few who can answer "yes" to the first question and maybe the second, but the numbers will be very small, too small to generalise in the way this thread is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

This post has been deleted.

Back in the day yes but not anymore, 520i's are 4 Pots since the LCI E60 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Back in the day yes but not anymore, 520i's are 4 Pots since the LCI E60 I think.

520i was a six cylinder when the E60 was introduced originally. Then it became a 523i in 2005. Continental Europe got a 520i in 2007 when the LCI model came out, but that was only four cylinders. I long for the days when even the humdrum 520i got the correct number of cylinders - four bangers suck besides a silky smooth straight six.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I've had two 320d cars with the N47 engine. My first one was a 2009 car and I have now passed it on to my son-in-law. I am presently driving a 2013 car. Both are going well with no problem so far. However I have taken the precaution of changing the oil every 10k miles max because I know there is a problem out there. I have also been sure to use the correct oil specification, ACEA C3, LL-04.

I know several people who are also running the N47 engine and no-one who is known personally to me has had an engine failure. How many people on here know first-hand of an engine failure? How many people on here know first-hand of more than one engine failure? No doubt there will be a few who can answer "yes" to the first question and maybe the second, but the numbers will be very small, too small to generalise in the way this thread is going.

Fair point - hence why I asked earlier in the thread what is the likelihood of failure - or the percentage of 20ds with N47s that have had the issue.

The obvious problem is that with a high cost of repair - its definitely an issue of concern.

But is it an avoid them like the plague issue??? - in reality

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    ... - hence why I asked earlier in the thread what is the likelihood of failure - or the percentage of 20ds with N47s that have had the issue.

I have seen that question asked on other forums (fora?) and I have asked it myself, but it has never been answered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I have seen that question asked on other forums (fora?) and I have asked it myself, but it has never been answered.

mine had to be feckin replaced anyways so that's 2 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's a fair point actually, I don't know the exact percentages, no more than anyone else does I suspect.

What we do know is that the problem is known and acknowledged by BMW (at least for anything before March 2011) as existing, and there are plenty of examples of people even with engines built after that date that are suffering. Some engines can top 100k miles without a problem, others fail at as low as 30k miles.

Of course, everything does get exaggerated on the internet, but it's a very, very serious problem. Even if the failure rate was 1%, that's 1% too many. It is a manufacturing fault (the chain itself is actually fine - it's the crankshaft that causes the chain to stretch and eventually fail) and I think the general consensus is that even though following the car's on board computer for servicing undoubtedly makes the problem more likely to occur, more sensible oil changes (e.g. every 12k miles or more often) only delay the problem rather than prevent it.

That's kind of the scary thing with the timing chain problem, at least on the older BMW diesel engines (which also suffered from design flaws and could also suffer from a catastrophic problem), there are preventative measures that are only a few hundred quid to do, and prevent anything catastrophic from happening. For example, getting the swirl flaps removed is not expensive, nor is changing the oil filter so as to ensure the turbo doesn't fail.

It's also incredibly shoddy engineering on BMW's part to put the damn thing at the rear of the engine - it would be less than half the price to replace it if it was installed at the front of the engine (like every other manufacturer does, including BMW until this engine came out incidentally).

These engines should be guaranteed for at least 10 years or 100,000 miles, like what Toyota did with the early VVTis, which were notorious for oil burning (and to properly fix the problem, it involved replacing the pistons and cylinders, which was a lot of money). Toyota replaced the 'short block' of the engine on anything affected if the mileage was below 100k, and considering how much more expensive a BMW is, it's the very least BMW should do.

In this day and age, 100,000 miles is not a lot to expect out of a car - any car that's been properly and promptly serviced should be lasting at least 200,000 miles without a major fault. My parents for example do over 25k miles per annum, if they bought a BMW 100k miles means the car would only last four years before getting the timing chain problem - not good enough at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

like what Toyota did with the early VVTis, which were notorious for oil burning (and to properly fix the problem, it involved replacing the pistons and cylinders, which was a lot of money). Toyota replaced the 'short block' of the engine on anything affected if the mileage was below 100k

Plenty of anecdotal evidence of people bringing their Toyota to the dealer for a service only to find that their "engine looks very clean" when they came to pick it up a few days later :D

BMW do seem to pick up the bill too for cars with the N47 problem with full service history and under 100k in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

me too....so three

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I only know one person in Real Life with a 520d. They suffered a complete failure, and after some internet searches and solicitors letters, BMW fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

me too....so three @ 40K miles

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    Plenty of anecdotal evidence of people bringing their Toyota to the dealer for a service only to find that their "engine looks very clean" when they came to pick it up a few days later :D

BMW do seem to pick up the bill too for cars with the N47 problem with full service history and under 100k in most cases

I'm a little cynical about these stories to be honest, I've never heard of someone dropping their car in for a routine service and then told to come back in a few days to pick it up. If that was the case then you would want to be a right dumb ass not to ask why.

Anyway back on topic. The chain was put in the rear of the engine which is up against the cabin bulkhead because it was originally designed to last the lifetime of the engine meaning it was never meant to be replaced which transpires is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm a little cynical about these stories to be honest, I've never heard of someone dropping their car in for a routine service and then told to come back in a few days to pick it up. If that was the case then you would want to be a right dumb ass not to ask why.

Happened to my co-worker with a 520D. Went in for a service under warranty and told they'd be keeping it in to change the chain and cog.

Thats 4 people so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

My dad's got replaced under warranty.

Incidentally, if he were to sell it now, how much of a premium would the fact it has been done command pricewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

2 people ... 1 complete failure .. solicitor letters etc. BMW covered parts not labour

2nd person - Rattle - covered under warranty

TBi wrote: »
    Happened to my co-worker with a 520D. Went in for a service under warranty and told they'd be keeping it in to change the chain and cog.

I was actually referring to the changing of the top block by Toyota on their VVTi engines. The stories out there suggests it was done on the qt over a number of days without the owner being any wiser is hard to believe.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    2 people ... 1 complete failure .. solicitor letters etc. BMW covered parts not labour

2nd person - Rattle - covered under warranty

That seems to be six so far, keep them coming.

Does anybody know how many of the N47 engines were fitted to cars sold in Ireland over the last seven years?

(Edit: Sorry, it seems to be seven, I missed New Approach)

feck me, 7 already on a thread that's probably only read by a tiny percentage of the population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I know of one 520d where the chain failed and made a Totalschaden of the engine.

Poll carried out on bmw-driver.net last year and there is a fair number of hitters:

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47070&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

My wife is looking at a 2011 116D does this engine have the same issue? It was registered in November 2011 if that makes a difference.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Work colleague also had one done under warranty a few years ago.

Potentially yes, it is still the 2.0 litre N47 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Would replacing the timing chain on an N47 engine address the issue? Similar to removing swirl flaps on M47?

8 people now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

ION08 wrote: »
    Would replacing the timing chain on an N47 engine address the issue? Similar to removing swirl flaps on M47?

No because the harm is done by the crank, replacing the chain will put it off but it will just start wearing the new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bazz26 wrote: »
    I was actually referring to the changing of the top block by Toyota on their VVTi engines. The stories out there suggests it was done on the qt over a number of days without the owner being any wiser is hard to believe.

The way I heard it was that the owners were advised that Toyota were taking a sample of engines from Irish Cars, to test them thoroughly, etc, etc. Would you like a new engine instead, gratis??? You'd hardly say no.......:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Enough to put me right off buying a BMW with an N47 engine. Shocking from a such a brand that prides itself on reliabilty and quality. i am on the market and have viewed a fair few beautiful BMW cars but i think i will be more careful in choice considering the evidence here. Thank you boards!!!!!!!!

Advertisement