Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Kane

Options
  • 28-10-2014 10:47pm

I love this lad. I remember when he got his first starts with 'Arry being very unimpressed but he's improved. Confident and gutsy. Puts wasters like Adebayor and Soldado and lots of the other foreign deadwood to shame.

Which reminds me...the foreign contingent. I remember us having a strong British presence during the successful times. Robinson, King, Carrick, Jenas (when he was good), Dawson, Defoe, Keane, Lennon, Bale. Don't get me wrong, I loved players like Modric and Berbatov but I just feel the squad is top heavy with foreign mercenaries at the moment. Moreover what is ENIC's obsession with a foreign DOF? Has it ever worked?

Try building a team around Kane, Mason, Walker and even Townsend. Looks to me like they'd show more desire and backbone than our overpaid "stars".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I love this lad. I remember when he got his first starts with 'Arry being very unimpressed but he's improved. Confident and gutsy. Puts wasters like Adebayor and Soldado and lots of the other foreign deadwood to shame.

Which reminds me...the foreign contingent. I remember us having a strong British presence during the successful times. Robinson, King, Carrick, Jenas (when he was good), Dawson, Defoe, Keane, Lennon, Bale. Don't get me wrong, I loved players like Modric and Berbatov but I just feel the squad is top heavy with foreign mercenaries at the moment. Moreover what is ENIC's obsession with a foreign DOF? Has it ever worked?

Try building a team around Kane, Mason, Walker and even Townsend. Looks to me like they'd show more desire and backbone than our overpaid "stars".

Harsh on Soldado, he has tried in every game iv seen him play. He cant score if he gets no service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

When were you successful with that British contingent? A decent squad assembled lacking a potent goal scorer at the moment. I don't think Mason and Kane are at the level for a team to be built around then at the moment either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

...foreign....foreign contingent......foreign mercenaries.....foreign DOF

Are you from Limerick?

Listen I apologise if I've caused offence. I'm not xenophobic. I just think a British club should have a core of British players. Chelski have Terry and had Fat Frank. The guys we brought in are no better (maybe with the exception of Eriksen) than what was around the other clubs. We spent the Bale money on mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

The club is top heavy with average players at present especially midfielders. We've no chance of getting top 4 so we may as well play Kane and Mason rather than some of the other chancers masquerading as footballers. They may improve with games and make it at Spurs or elsewhere. At least they look interested.

PS Van Zan When was Jenas good? I managed to miss that. Must have gonna for a cuppa during those few minutes :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Listen I apologise if I've caused offence. I'm not xenophobic. I just think a British club should have a core of British players. Chelski have Terry and had Fat Frank. The guys we brought in are no better (maybe with the exception of Eriksen) than what was around the other clubs. We spent the Bale money on mediocrity.

English players are overpriced. See Liverpool's recent transfer history for details.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I like the lad, and he works hard, but lets not go overboard. His hat trick during the week was against very poor opposition, and he's yet to really prove himself against good teams. Granted, he's not had many starts (any starts?) this season, and he has looked decent when he comes on, but i don't think we should be looking to build the team around him.

Also, Townsend is definitely not good enough for a team challenging for the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

:eek::eek: jayus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

ah here, them lads are good honest young lads who hopefully will progress but build a team around them, not just yet

:eek::eek: jayus

Yeah I tried to sneak that one through!! :D Ya know what I mean....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Keane? As in robbie keane? As in non British but in fact Irish Robbin keane? I'm pretty sure ireland is not part of Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

tom1ie wrote: »
    Keane? As in robbie keane? As in non British but in fact Irish Robbin keane? I'm pretty sure ireland is not part of Britain.

Your man on cnbc tonight differebt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

mickman wrote: »
    Your man on cnbc tonight differebt

Lol! That guy was Ron burgundy in disguise!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

I must the only one who cant see the Harry Kane thing....
    Hes average at best.......
    I hope we sell him for £10m + £5 and get Jay Rodriguez from Southampton.
    Harry is in a purple patch...thats all.

That's why he's such a legend!! Average, yes but the lad is on fire at the moment. I mean he's outperforming big money buys like Soldado and Adebayor so fair play to him I say.

This time last year it was Townsend......
    We should be cashing in when the hype is so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

IMO he is better than some you think. If you watch him with ball at feet around the box he is very tricky and quick. He looks ungainly because he is tall and has a haunch in his back but he has that ability to drop the drop the shoulder and to shift a ball to make space. He also is a smart player who makes the right decision most of the time. Soldado/Adebayour may have more raw talent but they make some awful decisions. Kane reminds me a bit of Teddy Sheringham. Considering he is only 21 he could develop to be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

I see what you mean about Sheringham, I don't think Kane is anywhere near as techically good as Sheringham but he has the knack of finding space and getting into great positions.
    I think has to get a run of starts in the league games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

This time last year it was Townsend......
    We should be cashing in when the hype is so big.

Townsend hype was on the back of a few good games for England though, I've always thought he was ****e for Spurs.

Kane is a perfectly good squad/third striker at the moment, who knows he might develop into better

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cash in on our only scoring striker? That's about the daftest suggestion I've seen on this forum.

• Advertisement

I know hes scoring at the minute.... but remember that og v Villa ...........
    If Soldado had done that, it would have been an og ...END OFF!!!
    Im not saying he's bad, he is in fact a good 3rd choice as said earlier..
    I do see similarities between Sheringham, but they are miles apart.
    Mason for instance... i do like the look of him and he has been out performing almost everyone, no hype for him......
    But the English media are doing their usual spin on an english striker.
    Dont fall for it.
    Many times ive seen Kane control the ball awfully,
    Has anyone not mentioned him hitting the bar from 1 yard out last night??????
    Soldado hit the post after Masson scored v Forest and theirs a vine for that !!
    Dont get me wrong....i do like Kane, but flook me..... Hes not all that at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Hes not all that at all!!!

No, but he has scored 8 in 8, or 7 in 8 excluding the og so lets cut him some slack. We are giving out all season about our strikers being crap, and here is a lad actually scoring and all we seem to do is write him off and say he isnt any good! If he plays eight in a row and doesnt score any then fair enough! But for now, lets give him a break, at least he puts a shift in.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    No, but he has scored 8 in 8, or 7 in 8 excluding the og so lets cut him some slack. We are giving out all season about our strikers being crap, and here is a lad actually scoring and all we seem to do is write him off and say he isnt any good! If he plays eight in a row and doesnt score any then fair enough! But for now, lets give him a break, at least he puts a shift in.

agreed. he defo deserves a few starts in the league.

i agree, i think he should start this week alongside Bobby.
    And to prove it................

Im going to start The Match Thread for Stoke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

scored twice for England's 21's against France tonight.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    scored twice for England's 21's against France tonight.

Time to drop him so :-)

Time to cash in!

Excellent one touch finish v Hull.........

But what about his first half freekick and his header from 2 yards out ????

#justsayin.

ps he should definitely start up top with Bobby v Everton.

#justsayin.

Adebayour wouldnt even have been in the position to score that header and would defo have missed the one touch finish.

• Advertisement

#justsayin.

People don't give a damn about his misses because they see he's trying his heart out. Honest lad who seems to actually care rather than the mercenaries in the team who have twice his ability but do fcuk all with it.

Advertisement