Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still 1971 in Ireland? The contraceptive train still runs - Under another name.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I'll be staying out of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Both the man and woman should be able to prove that all avenues have been exhausted and abortion is the final step.

Good post. And the father should definitely get some input.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

lazygal wrote: »
    What say, exactly, should the man have when a woman is pregnant?

He should have the right to legally absolve himself of his (laughably inadequate) rights and responsibilities towards the child. If the mother wants to keep it then she does it herself, a paper abortion if you will. He wouldn't be liable for child support but he can't just change his mind afterwards either. A father should have a choice but equality wouldn't be pragmatic as a woman, rightfully has autonomy over whatever happens to her body.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I can't believe it's that long since myself and my then boyfriend obtained condoms on prescription! We had to pretend to be engaged. It was still illegal, but the Family Planning Association allowed prescriptions for condoms if you were married or engaged.

Ah well. They weren't that effective it turned out and I found myself having to go to the UK.

What permanent changes happen his body?

Is that the only factor that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Abortion pills are only available when a miscarriage needs to be treated. Not because a woman no longer wants to be pregnant.

• Advertisement

Good post. And the father should definitely get some input.

What input, exactly? Do rapists get a say too?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

RobertKK wrote: »
    They should have been.

Maybe the police are too busy with the real love/hate stuff that is going on in Dublin.

Will you be heading into store st station tomorrow to report this crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im sitting on the fence with the abortion issue.

Strawman.

Well he should be entitled to an opinion if its his child.

And no a rapist wouldn't get a say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But it IS available.

Emergency contraception is fine for a girl who has had unprotected sex, how about a rape victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What a farce. Emergency contraception is readily available in Ireland. http://www.ifpa.ie/node/72 What is not readily available is abortion. That is the Law, as voted by several times by the people.

You'd be doing well to find someone who said law directly effects who had a chance to participate in one of said several votes mind

Well he should be entitled to an opinion if its his child.

And no a rapist wouldn't get a say.

So once again the circumstances of conception affect whether a woman can access abortion. Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Why isn't "I don't want to remain pregnant" reason enough?
    Pregnancy is crap. No woman or child should have to go through it because someone else wants them to against their wishes.

Why isn't "I don't want my life destroyed knowing I could've been a father" enough reason.
    Having you life derailed is destroyed is pretty crap,No man should have to go through it because somebody else wants them to go against the wishes.

Say it was your son who came home announcing they were going to be a father.The whole family dying for this opportunity to welcome a new life into the family. One Sunday afternoon a phone call "your child is being aborted and there's nothing you can do". Shattered lives.

But I suppose,its only the father and their family sure who cares?

So once again the circumstances of conception affect whether a woman can access abortion. Why?

Because if me and a woman decide to have a child and then she decides she wants to kill it why shouldn't I get a say?

What permanent changes happen his body?

Does permanent damage to mental health account for anything?

Because if me and a woman decide to have a child and then she decides she wants to kill it why shouldn't I get a say?

Because you don't have to gestate and birth it. Pregnancy and birth have long term effects. Nine of which men will undergo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Gongoozler wrote: »
    So the pills that these people got today were they prescription only pills?

According to RTE.ie the Pills were ordered online, delivered to addresses in Northern Ireland and collected there today.

On the OP there is a link that says RTE but is to the Independent in which Ruth Coppinger says she just took one of the tablets and 'I'm not dead yet'. Seems a little flippant to me.

Why isn't "I don't want my life destroyed knowing I could've been a father" enough reason.
    Having you life derailed is destroyed is pretty crap,No man should have to go through it because somebody else wants them to go against the wishes.

Say it was your son who came home announcing they were going to be a father.The whole family dying for this opportunity to welcome a new life into the family. One Sunday afternoon a phone call "your child is being aborted and there's nothing you can do". Shattered lives.

But I suppose,its only the father and their family sure who cares?

I would not want my son to force a woman to remain pregnant against her wishes.

Because you don't have to gestate and birth it. Pregnancy and birth have long term effects. Nine of which men will undergo.

And having your child aborted has no long term effects for the guy is it? I guess since they have no choice they have no responsibilities if the woman has a child against their wishes then either.

• Advertisement

Emergency contraception is fine for a girl who has had unprotected sex, how about a rape victim?

What I feel should happen and what can, in Law happen are seriously at odds. I found this publicity stunt to be in very bad taste. Rape victims and women with unviable pregnancies are the sad victims of our legislation.

And having your child aborted has no long term effects for the guy is it?

So a woman should be forced to remain pregnant because a man might suffer ill effects?

So a woman should be forced to remain pregnant because a man might suffer ill effects?

Role reverse that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A woman should have complete autonomy over her own body. What I object to is a man being forced to pay for a child he mightn't want or being having no say should she decide on the abortion. The latter I can accept but the former is absurd and unacceptable.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

But its grand if you swap the genders around?

But its grand if you swap the genders around?

Can a man gestate and birth a child? What effects do pregnancy and birth have on men?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Dougi mqquaid here, yeez can fuk off

Who?

Can a man gestate and birth a child? What effects do pregnancy and birth have on men?

Strawman argument again. Or are you seriously arguing that abortion has no effect on men?

Lol you make pregnancy sound like something out Aliens. It's hardly that bad if most women do it at some stage in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

And what about the choice of the father? Disregarded?

Squirting a load doesn't equal nine months of pregnancy though

Advertisement